Wood band saw machine with its own hands drawings
For hard materials it is recommended to use equipment reinforced with superalloys: the cutting band will not tear, will not damage the workpiece. Before buying, determine the scope of work you plan to do with the machine.
High volume of work requires a heavy-duty, robust saw that can withstand heavy loads. Its cost will be high. For one-time, infrequent use, cheaper equipment with standard strength characteristics will do.
Width, length are selected according to similar parameters of the machine. Recommendations for the selection of components are in the instructions to the machine.
- Wide band saws are characterized by smoother cutting, they are more often used for longitudinal cutting.
- The thinner the workpiece, the more likely it is to be damaged by a thick saw.
- When making curved and contour cuts, the width of the cutting element must allow machining the workpiece at a given angle. This type of tool is available in widths of 14-88 mm. For standard applications a medium setting of 35-40mm is suitable.
Distance between sharpened segments of saw corresponds to the machine’s counterpart.
- Thin sheet material can be cut with a saw with a coarse, regular tooth pitch.
- Frequent constant pitch is suitable for large blades.
- Variable teeth are suitable for cutting soft synthetic and natural materials. Cutting speed is increased because the saw does not jam.
Quality of cutting, vibration level during work, durability of the main element depend on the teeth pitch. Blade can have different profile:
- Corrugated. Used for small workpieces, thin materials.
- Standard. Characterized by the alternate positioning of all cutting elements, one segment is placed in the center. Choice for volumetric workpieces, contour cutting, vertical mounting.
- Variable, or group. Contains teeth in pairs. The unit is more expensive: it is more robust, more efficient, and has a reduced cutting edge loading.
Particular attention is paid to the quality of the sharpening of the saws. Checks how sharp the cutting segments are, whether the steel they are made of is uniform, and whether the cutting edge line is straight.
Need to know if it is possible to re-sharpen the saw, how many cycles are provided for the renewal of the cutter.
Drawing of homemade band saw: 1. belt drive pulley (bottom); 2. base; 3. band saw; 4. V-belt A710; 5. damper; 6. guide; 7. supporting rod; 8. belt drive pulley (top); 9. table (plywood s20); 10. electric motor AOL-22-2; 11. belt drive pulleys; 12. bracket (steel corner 40×40); 13. nut M12 (2 pcs.); 10. motor AOL-22-2; 11. belt drive pulleys; 12. bracket (steel corner 40×40); 13. nut M12 (2 pcs.); 14. upper support; 15. adjusting screw; 16. slide.
Band saw: what it is
The main feature of the band saw is its working tool. This is a flexible band of high-strength steel with sharp teeth, closed in a ring. The cutting blade is mounted on two drums, one of which is rotated by an electric motor.
The precision movement of the cutting edge is ensured by guides. Changeable saw blades. By selecting blades with different characteristics it is possible to make the cut with the required parameters. A distinction is made between horizontal and vertical band saws.
Band saw for wood with their own hands: drawings, video
Band saws are powerful and reliable tools, actively used in building sphere and applicable for cutting of various materials. In order to avoid problems during use, it is necessary to choose this type of equipment carefully, taking into account its technical characteristics. First of all find out what you intend to use the particular type of saw for, learn about the parameters of the teeth and blade size, and also ask about the quality of the cutting element sharpening.
Types of band saws
Depending on the scope of use, band saws are divided into categories, according to which are processed:
Please note that for work with hard materials it is recommended to use a tool reinforced with heavy-duty alloys. If this rule is violated, the cutting band will tear and damage the workpiece. Before you make a purchase, determine the front of the work that you plan to perform with the help of the unit.
For production scale will require a more powerful and durable saw that can withstand increased loads, but its cost will also be high. For a single procedure or occasional use in the home, cheaper equipment with standard strength characteristics is suitable.
Saw blade size
Width and length of the saw should be selected according to the similar parameters of the machine, for which you can read the recommendations on the selection of accessories in the instruction manual of the machine. From ourselves, we want to add a few recommendations that will help you in choosing the right option:
Wide band saws for wood are characterized by smoother cutting, so they are more often used for longitudinal cutting;
The distance between the sharpened segments of the saw is an important indicator that directly correlates to the machine’s counterpart. In order to use the saw rationally, it is advisable to adhere to the following recommendations:
- thin sheet material is accepted to process with the help of a saw with a coarse even pitch of teeth;
- A frequent, constant tooth pitch is best for large saw blades;
- variable teeth are specially designed for cutting natural and synthetic materials with a soft structure, and the cutting speed here increases due to the fact that the saw does not get clogged.
Tooth setting affects cut quality and vibration levels during sawing, directly affecting the durability of the base element. Based on this principle, the blade can have different profiles.
- Wavy profile should be chosen for cutting small workpieces and thin materials.
- The standard profile is characterized by the alternate positioning of all cutting elements on both sides of the edge and one segment being placed in the center. This set pattern is chosen for machining three-dimensional workpieces, contour cutting, and mounting on vertical machines.
Pay particular attention to the quality of the sharpening of the saw, i.e. check how sharp the cutting segments are, whether the steel from which they are made is uniform, and make sure that the trimmer blade for the cutting edge is perfectly flat. After carefully examining the cutting element according to the above requirements, don’t be lazy to ask the salesman if the saw can be re-sharpened. If you answer in the affirmative, it would not be out of place to know how many torch upgrade cycles are provided for a particular product sample.
Now that you know what this type of equipment is, and what characteristics it should have, you can try to make a homemade band saw for wood and thereby save money on the purchase of a factory unit. Of course, the band saw is mounted on the machine, so in the next part of the article we will look at the construction of the work table and provide guidance, following which you can make a quality and reliable installation for domestic use.
Drawing of a homemade band saw: 1. belt drive pulley (bottom), 2. base, 3. band saw, 4. V-belt A710, 5. damper, 6. guide, 7. support rod, 8. belt drive pulley (top), 9. table (plywood s20), 10. electric motor AOL-22-2, 11. belt drive pulleys, 12. bracket (steel angle 40×40), 13. nut M12 (2 pcs.), 14. upper support, 15. adjusting screw, 16. slide.
Band saw machine: construction and assembly
Ribbon type woodworking machines consist of a working table, which serves as a base for the other elements, and the elements themselves. This construction provides for a constant circular motion of the blade which is supported by two pulleys. Immediately note that a full-fledged unit with a bed and a table top can be made only if a separate room of considerable size is allocated for its installation, because the equipment has impressive dimensions. In other cases, will help manual table mini installation, though for obvious reasons it does not work to dissolve solid logs.
The drawings are recommended to be made in special programs, and below you can see a three-dimensional view of the design of the vertical type of saw, which will be discussed below.
Machine frame is a load carrying element, which must hold the weight of the whole structure, so if possible it is better to make it from metal profile, but if you don’t have it, wood will do. Plywood and chipboard should be avoided at once, and a board thickness of 20mm should be preferred. Glue the bed according to the rule of intersection of fibers of each following layer with respect to the previous one
Self-tapping screws are used to reinforce the frame. This structure must be rigid and resilient at the same time, so that it acts as a damper to absorb shocks from the blade.
What materials and tools will be required for making the saw
A set of tools and supplies for creating a band saw with your own hands at home can vary depending on the features of the chosen design. But, as a rule, in the obligatory order for the construction of the machine required:
- boards or sheets of plywood for the frame;
- Motor. electric or gasoline-powered;
- Metal corners;
- metal cutting blade. homemade or purchased;
- Self-tapping screws and bolts with nuts;
- rubber from a bicycle camera;
- wooden planks and slats, they are needed for the supporting frame of the structure;
- belt for the transmission of torque;
- steel rod, which will serve as the shaft for the pulleys;
- steel plate or a piece of textolite;
- varnish or paint, they are needed for the final stage of building the machine.
Also in the manufacture of band saw with their own hands will need to use the following tools:
- angle grinder;
- electric screwdriver;
- wrenches. the dimensions are chosen according to the bolts;
Advice! When selecting boards for the table and band saw frame, it is better to take hardwood blanks with a thickness of at least 2 cm.
Choice of band saw blade
If desired, you can make a band saw blade for the band saw machine with your own hands from tool steel U8 or U10. Material must be strong but flexible, with a thickness of 0.4-0.8 mm for cutting hardwood. If you create the blade yourself, you will need to use an angle grinder to cut the teeth in the metal, separate and sharpen them, and then solder the band in a solid ring with a gas burner and grind the seam.
The work is very long and laborious, requiring certain skills. therefore, more often the blade is purchased in the store in ready-made form. You need to take a band with a width of 18-88 mm, depending on your goals. For cutting wood, carbide saws and tool steel blades are suitable, they are quite reliable and quite affordable.
What is the principle of the home-made machine
The saw blade is placed on several pulleys. They start to rotate, driving the other mechanisms. This is how wood is sawn.
Depending on the type of manufacturing, the band saw can serve for processing the following materials:
Metal is very strong, and therefore it is necessary to use reinforced steel for cutting. If standard saws are used, the teeth will deform very quickly. Therefore it is necessary to prepare for the work beforehand, taking into account the type of material.
Blade tooth size and pitch
To choose a cutter, it is necessary to start from the size of the created machine. And there are also useful recommendations that are worth adhering to:
- For a longitudinal cut, wide blades are used, resulting in a high-quality and even cut.
- If you have to work with thin workpieces, it is necessary to use a very narrow blade.
- If contour and shape cutting is necessary, cutting elements in the width range from 14 to 88 mm are selected. The preferred size is 35-40 mm.
The pitch of the teeth will influence the final result of the cut:
- A coarse setting is suitable for machining thin sheet materials.
- The “denser” the setting of the teeth, the larger the blade should be.
- The medium variant can be used when processing synthetic materials, so as not to clog the cutter with waste.
But even this is not enough to choose the right blade. It is important to pay attention to the cut and the arrangement of the teeth.
Tooth arrangement and sharpening
Tooth pitch influences the final cut. The choice should be made according to the hardness of the wood:
- WM-slats are suitable for hard and soft wood.
- AV. for work with hard wood, or frozen wood.
- NV. for shape-cutting.
- NU. for softwood.
Attention must also be paid to the sharpness of the teeth. Cutting edge must be very sharp and smooth.
Attention! When buying consumables, it is advisable to ask the seller about the possibility of self-sharpening.
Attention should be paid to the fact that the pulleys to be assembled should be parallel to one another and should rotate easily around their axis, while the axis should be absolutely static. Heavy sawblade beating is not allowed, because it can cause slipping of saw blade from pulley and injuring a craftsman
Lower drive shaft must pass through the body and have sufficient end on the back side to be able to clamp it into the drill chuck. Upper pulley is set into the saw blade tensioning mechanism.
Setting up the saw blade. The saw blade must be guided over the faces of the pulleys. At first it must be loosely dressed on this structure, and by rotating the adjustment knob the bar with the axis of the upper pulley is moved upwards, thus increasing the distance between the centers of the pulleys. The band is tensioned in the process. After tensioning it is necessary to tighten the screw a of the collet in order to fix the tensioning mechanism in the rigid position.
- Setting up the saw table. The saw table is placed on the horizontal surface of the base as shown in the picture. Its area should be sufficient for a comfortable process of sawing the workpiece. It should be noted that perpendicularity of the table to the saw blade is very important, and in two dimensions. longitudinal and transverse. The table is attached by self-tapping screws. Although there is an option to “plant” it on the glue, and for durability install dowels.
- Installing the power tool. At the very last stage we need to make this construction come to life. To do this, clamp the drive shaft shank of the lower pulley in the drill chuck. Alternatively, you can use a torch or an electric screwdriver. But the power of an electric screwdriver is obviously not enough, so we need a drill or a torch.
Adjusting and tuning. Before you start, let the band saw idle for a few seconds. Make sure that the band does not slip and runs smoothly. Check its tension and fixation of the saw blade tensioning mechanism.
Bandsaw with my own hands
Homemade band saw, made by your own hands: a detailed description of making a homemade saw with photos and video.
Hi there! That needed a band saw for a home workshop, decided to make their own hands.
I had a 300-watt electric motor, so I decided to use it for my self-made car.
Will also use the band. 1830 x 16 mm. We will make the drive wheels from plywood.
These are the blanks for the drive wheels.
From the angle welded frame, installed the motor, drive wheels, made belt drive.
To keep the saw from slipping while sawing, I put thrust bearings. The assembly consists of three bearings and two angles. I made the holes oval to regulate the gap between them and the belt. Two knots of this type are made, the second will be placed under the table.
Retractable rod, consisting of two welded angles and inserted profile tube. It was fixed with a bolt through the welded nut. The body of the rod is bolted to the horizontal angle and has a movability for adjustment.
From a profile pipe made the frame of the table, on the frame will be screwed chipboard sheet.
Belt guard is installed on the opposite side from the cut, and a box on the top wheel.
As a result we got such a home-built band saw. Saws very well and quickly, I am completely satisfied with my self-made machine.
Setting up the saw
The home-built band saw machine with a drill drive or a regular electric motor will not work effectively if the saw is not tuned up.
This process takes place according to the generally accepted scheme:
- The wheels are parallel to one another;
- fluoroplastic washers are placed on the shafts to prevent vertical misalignment;
- The system is started up in test mode without mounting the guide rails;
- Test cutting is done without load;
- After adjusting operations are finished, install the block for shaping the direction of the band.
If the saw is set up correctly, the wheels move smoothly without jerks. Such equipment will please you with great productivity and accuracy, which is especially valued between the masters.