Review of Bosch S4 silver battery models
In modern cars more and more often manufacturer begins to install maintenance free batteries. There are a lot of recommendations about how to charge an unattended battery, but they are all too complicated and an ordinary motorist can not always get into the essence of the process of charging the battery. In this publication we will consider a simple and at the same time effective way to charge a car maintenance-free battery by the example of Bosch silver S4.
Before you begin the process of charging, it is worth immediately determining what the age of the battery. Maintenance-free car batteries that are more than five years old are a waste of time to charge or reanimate. Even if you manage to do something with it, it will not last long. It is better to bring old batteries immediately to the department of recycling.
And now about the technical aspects of charging. The charger with which you will be charging, should work fully automatically, i.e.е. The charging process must be controlled by a program of your choice. This program will be able to control the necessary charging current, as well as provide a constant supply of the desired charging voltage. It is also worthwhile to determine special care when connecting the charger to the battery terminals. Always attach the red terminal to the. black to minus. If the terminals are not color-coded, look directly at the sockets of the charger and make the correct connection.
Remember that charging the battery must be carried out in a well-ventilated room, because during this process is the release of harmful substances for the body.
And one more nuance, if you charge from time to time only the battery of your car, then buying the necessary charger is a waste of money, because charging a maintenance-free battery in a specialized center will cost you much cheaper than buying a device.
Varta, Bosch, Atlas, Delkor, Bost, Banner batteries
If you want to remove the battery cover from a Varta, Bosch, Atlas, Delkor, Bost, Banner car battery. Relax, you can’t do that. If you want to remove the battery cover itself, where the pole terminals are located, be aware that it is hermetically sealed at the factory and does not need to be removed. You can throw the battery away.
If you want to remove the single lid-plate, it covers the labyrinth system for condensation of vapors, which you also can’t dismantle. But it all depends on what you want to remove the battery cover for. If you need to measure the electrolyte level you can get by with weighing the battery on the scale and comparing the readings with your new battery. If you want to measure the density, it is easier to measure the voltage and calm down. If you need to add distilled water, then you can be clever and make thin holes without damaging the labyrinth system, and pour water into it with a medical syringe. After filling the hole you have to seal it.
Details on how to charge a maintenance-free battery
and more modern vehicles are being equipped with maintenance free batteries. There are a lot of recommendations about how to charge the battery, but they are all too complicated and the average motorist can not always get into the essence of the process of charging the battery. In this publication we will consider a simple and at the same time effective way to charge a car maintenance free battery by the example of Bosch silver S4.
Before you begin the charging process, it’s a good idea to determine the age of the battery. Unattended car batteries that are more than five years old are a waste of time to charge or resuscitate. Even if you can do something with it, it won’t work for long. It is better to take old batteries to the recycling department immediately.
Now for the technical aspects of charging. The charger with which you are going to charge, must work in fully automatic mode, i.e.е. The charging process must be controlled by a program of your choice. This program will be able to control the required charging current, as well as provide a constant supply of the right charging voltage. It is also worth paying special attention to the connection of the charger to the battery terminals. Always attach the red terminal to the. the black one to the minus.
If the terminals are not color-coded, look directly at the sockets of the charger and make the correct connection.
And one more nuance, if you charge from time to time only your car battery, then buying the necessary charger is a waste of money, because charging a maintenance-free battery in a specialized center will cost you much cheaper than buying a device.
Information on maintenance free batteries
Maintenance free batteries should only be charged with an automatic battery charger. The peculiarity of such batteries is that the degree of battery charge at the end of the charge is directly dependent on the value of the charging voltage, which provides the charger. For example, a 12 volt battery in 24 hours at 14, 4 volts can be approximately 75% to 85% charged, a 15 volt battery in the same time at 85% to 90%, and a 16 volt battery at 95% to 97%.
So the maximum capacity to charge a maintenance free battery is 16.3 to 16.4 volts for up to 20 volts.24 hours.
In our case, an unattended battery Bosch silver S4 we charged with a regular charger, with the exposed voltage of 14.4-14.5 V was charged for 24 hours at 90%, It should also be noted that at the beginning of charging current reached 40-50A. For charging to be complete you need to leave the battery for a few hours more.
Varta batteries are widespread due to their high quality and affordability. Information. how to remove the lid from the battery Varta be useful to many car owners.
With Varta serviceable batteries everything is clear, if you want they can be opened, you just need to have a tool for this. As for the maintenance-free battery Warta. all of their upper part is protected by a cover. Such design can be detachable or monolithic. In case of monolithic construction the upper cover is “sealed” by thermal welding. Is it possible to remove this cover of the Varta battery??
A tool is needed to remove the top cover. If the cover is locked in place with a slot, you must unfasten it and disassemble it. If you press the battery in. it is difficult to disassemble. Careless actions can cause battery damage. Therefore it is better not to dismantle the Varta battery to preserve its integrity.
It turns out that the cover from the Varta battery can not be removed. However, if for maintenance of the battery Warta need to refill the working fluid, it can be done with a drill, awl or screwdriver.
Although it is impossible to remove the lid, but it is possible to drill the holes for refilling the liquid quite realistically.
To do this, the following is done:
- The body of the Varta battery is freed from the stickers;
- on the lid should be found stamped on the plugs;
- with an awl or a drill in these places make holes.
The procedure for drilling out the housing of the Varta battery is quite simple, but it requires a responsible approach to it, otherwise it could lead to unnecessary financial costs for the purchase of a new battery.
Prolonged use of the battery significantly degrades its properties, over time you will need to replace the battery. If a closed battery is installed, then you should not be in a hurry to “write it off”. Knowing how to open such a model as Varta D43 or Varta C15 you can “reanimate” it in the shortest possible time.
Initially, the Varta D43 battery or a similar model will need to be removed from the battery cover, following the above diagram. After that, access to the elements of the battery will be open, any repair will not require a lot of time.
On closed models of Varta battery to determine the level of the electrolyte there are special indicators. Most batteries have translucent casings or markings that allow you to check the electrolyte level in the tanks. Also to check the electrolyte there is no need to remove the lid, you can use a tube, syringe or other item that is dropped into the jar. Acceptable liquid level is 1 to 1.2 cm above the level of the plates.
How to repair your battery with your own hands. how to repair battery correctly
Having reached the electrolyte, it is necessary to check three parameters:
- Color. The electrolyte should be transparent, without foreign inclusions. Degrading lead plates give a dark color to the fluid.
- Level. As water evaporates, the electrolyte level drops, which lowers the capacity. Each battery has its own parameters of the liquid level, but all batteries must be immersed in electrolyte.
- Density. This is checked with a special instrument. hydrometer. A charged battery has an electrolyte density of 1.27.
Important! Wear personal protective equipment when handling electrolyte! Wear safety glasses, gloves, and respirator. Splashes of electrolyte in the eyes or on the skin will cause chemical burns.
The procedure for diagnosing a maintenance-free battery is as follows:
- Check the voltage of the battery and the car’s onboard network. This is to rule out chronic undercharging of the battery. Short, frequent journeys often do not allow the battery time to recharge. As the temperature drops, capacity falls by 20 to 40%. Many owners blame quite working technique, although it needs to be properly operated.
- Charging the battery. For charging, it is desirable to use a factory charger, preferably with a controller. Using electronics will increase the accuracy of the charge. If the charger is simple, you set the current to about 0.1 from the capacity. Battery 60 A / h should be charged with a current of 5. 6 Amperes. charging lasts. Until the reading on the ammeter drops to 2-3 amps. Strongly discharged battery should be charged with a current of 1-2 amperes (about 1/20 of the capacity) a few days. The voltage should not exceed 15 volts, otherwise the banks will “boil” and can swell.
- Drilling holes in battery cover. Check electrolyte level with improvised dipstick. If the battery case is made of light-colored plastic, then the level can be checked by shining a flashlight through the battery.
- Check the density with a areometer.
- After checking and refilling, the battery must be closed tightly.
This is interesting: The use of solar panels for heating a private home
How to correct the condition of the electrolyte
There are three possible ways to correct the density of the electrolyte:
- Low density at normal level. Take out all the contents of the can with a areometer, pour it into a glass container. Add concentrated acid, bring density to recommended value. Pour electrolyte into the jar up to the level.
- When the electrolyte level is low, high density. Add distilled water and stir up electrolyte with a glass rod. After use, measure the density.
- At normal level high density. Drain and add distilled water, fill to capacity.
Important! The density of the electrolyte is its main characteristic. All battery performance depends on keeping this parameter normal.
When servicing a battery, all of the electrolyte can be poured into a glass or enameled container, stirred, and the density checked. Pour the normal electrolyte back into the cans, if there is a shortage, top up with fresh electrolyte with the appropriate density. Refilling should be done in all jars evenly so that the amount of fresh sulfuric acid is the same in all jars.
Operation after servicing
Once opened, the maintenance free battery loses its sealing properties. It is better not to use it if the construction is upside down or if it is standing in the car interior.
Any tampering with the labyrinth cover will result in loss of trapping and condensation of distilled water vapor. Repairs turn the maintenance free battery into a serviceable battery. You will need to look in the battery more often.
The battery maintenance should be completed by recharging. It is discharged by connecting a few power consumers and then charged. low currents. After two or three charging cycles, it is advisable to check the battery with a loading fork. If the battery has drastically reduced capacity, you must decide to replace it.
Is it safe to say that from a maintenance-free battery can be made maintainable? Of course, the sealed battery can be converted! If the purpose of opening the battery is to get lead for fishing or hunting, then with a few precautions you can easily manage with just a hammer.
In the 90’s the development of battery manufacturing has advanced. If in the old batteries it was necessary to monitor the electrolyte level, then, according to the manufacturers, there is no need to do this on modern models. Manufacturers call these batteries maintenance free, in their opinion they do not require electrolyte control. But this is far from being true, these batteries still require maintenance.
“Maintenance-free” battery is a battery model that does not require topping up with water. But this type of battery has a serious disadvantage. it is necessary to fully discharge it several times and it loses its capacity. After that it can be thrown in the trash.
Find out when to charge your battery
Batteries without access to the banks are widespread relatively recently. they have a hydrometer or “sight glass” to check the charge level.
In most cases, the lack of maintenance of such batteries is fraught with battery failure.
The main disadvantages of such batteries include:
- difficulties with electrolyte level control;
- It is not possible to check the density of the electrolyte;
- need for flawless operation of the machine’s electrical system.
On some types of batteries to control the electrolyte level are marked with markings of maximum and minimum working fluid.
When to unscrew and when not to unscrew?
Sometimes it is still better to unscrew the “caps”, sometimes you can leave, there are several options for the course of events, so in order:
- Battery is new, it is below a full charge let’s say 12.4V (should be 12.7V), just want to recharge at a low current, say a couple of hours. in that case, the plugs do not need to unscrew, I would even say. correctly that you do not unscrew. After all, inside the electrolyte vapor that can just go into the environment, and provoke an explosion (if there are sparks or fire), and recharging a couple of hours will not do anything wrong if you do it correctly (current and voltage).
- The battery is fresh, but completely discharged. Then it is better to unscrew it, you want to check the density of the electrolyte. After that you need to charge at a low current for a long time, again it is desirable to observe the appearance of bubbles.
- The battery is old, boils quickly. Be sure to unscrew the plugs! That’s important! Old batteries boil rather quickly, this is not able to hold a charge. indicates that the battery is “almost dead”. If you don’t unscrew the plugs and charge the battery long, it could really burst.
How long does it take to charge a dead battery??
Unattended battery is good, but if you kill it once to zero, then after that it practically does not live (especially in winter).
Dream. Never failed on FORD. I used to charge it once in half a year just to be on the safe side.I have one on my kopeck.
Maintenance free doesn’t mean it’s not rechargeable!
Hello please tell me, I have the same battery and charger, a year ago also did this procedure is all ok, but there was a different battery.I hooked it up but the diode that should be blinking just keeps going off?Or it blinks later?The self-diagnosis shows that z.and it’s working.and it doesn’t get too warm for you either?
I had nothing blinking on this particular charge. One of the bulbs is just changing color. Honestly, I charged it once. I can’t really remember now.)