Two basic rules for mowing lawns
First, you should not remove more than 1/3 of the original grass height in one mowing. Why? The leaf is the source of energy and organic matter for the whole plant, a mini-mill, and the leaf surface can be thought of as a solar cell. But this is only true for the upper green part of the leaf, the lower part is in the shade and is much lighter, there is no photosynthesis process due to a lack of chlorophyll. If we cut more than 1/3 we will deprive the plant of energy and it will take time for the light part to form chlorophyll or for a new leaf to grow. We will have to put up with a yellow-green lawn the whole time. On average the growth rate is 1 cm per day/night. some days it is faster (May, August), some days it is slower (July). What to do if heavy rains (sickness, business trip, laziness) result in an overgrown lawn? Here, a grass trimmer is indispensable. First, roughly knock down the tops and take the future hay outside the lawn, and then use a mower on the maximum setting to even out the height, after a couple of days, still lower the height of the mowing. The key word is “gradually”.
Second. all grasses have a minimum permissible mowing height, some species can be mowed lower, some species with such a mowing will simply fall out of the stand. For meadow bluegrass and red fescue the minimum height for mowing is 2-2.5 cm, although varieties which can be mowed as low as 1 cm have now been introduced. There is also a concept of optimal height of mowing is about 5-7 cm, but it also varies, if the weather is hot and dry, the height of mowing increase by 1-2 cm and the last mowing (before the winter) hold at 3-4 cm (less leaves. less conditions for the development of snow mold). Each type of grass also has a different growth rate of the leaf plate, and the more it is cut, the faster it grows. In this way, the plant tries to make up for the loss of. When mowing, the allowable length is from 6 to 4 cm or from 8 to 6 cm, in the first case the regrowth will be faster. but only if the mower blades were sharp enough and cut, not knocked down the leaf, otherwise the regrowth may be delayed for a couple of days.
Basic requirements for lawn mowers
What should be the mower for uneven terrain and what points should be paid attention to? The first and most important thing to bear in mind: wild vegetation needs to be mowed with a machine with a powerful motor. If the site is a mixture of shrubs and grass, it is better to take a lawn mower from 1500 watts, with a metal blade-disk as the cutting element. It can even cope with difficult tasks and does not require frequent sharpening.
The need for good grass cutting in uneven terrain is a serious problem. If you have to regularly overcome obstacles in the form of bumps to work on slopes and hills, it is better from the beginning to give preference to models with gearshift and wheel drive. The best choice would be a technique that can mow the surface of the lawn or wild vegetation at different speeds, they should be from 4 front and 1 rear. Starting is more convenient with an electric starter, it is also found on gasoline models.
Another important requirement for uneven terrain is a mower with large wheels, capable of easy turning and maneuvering.
In addition, you should pay attention to the location of the engine. in powerful models, it is located on top, while in others it is hidden in the body. The more difficult the terrain, the heavier the mower should be.
It is imperative to ensure that the cutting attachment is sufficiently resistant to hard objects and obstacles. As for the discharge of grass, it is more convenient to use a lawn mower model with a grass catcher box or side discharge. Variants with a mulching mechanism also shred the particles that get inside, turning them into a ready-made fertilizer.
Unit: 2/5 | Number of characters: 2288
What to look for when choosing a portable grass trimmer?
The most important characteristic. power. The higher it is, the better and faster the grass trimmer mows, but at the same time the noise and vibration will also be more. Electric trimmers range in power from 250 watts to 1,700 watts.
Power up to 600-700 W is good for taking care of small untidy areas, trimming edges. Such devices are often used in addition to a more powerful trimmer or wheeled lawnmower. 1000-1200 W is a serious power for an electric grass trimmer. Well, and 1500-1700 watts. it’s already so uneconomical that it’s more profitable and reliable to buy a gasoline trimmer for grass. Power of models that run on gasoline (from 1 to 7 liters).с.), is usually sufficient for the care of complex and neglected areas, and here you need the increased power of four-stroke engines, not only to directly mow, but also for the movement of the unit.
Another important parameter. what is the cutting assembly made of. It can be only trimmer line or trimmer line and blade (disk), and rarely. only blade. A line for a trimmer is an expendable material, it can suddenly run out, and then the presence of a knife will be of great help. blade can get blunt or shrunk, in which case the line for trimmer. Although each user with experience understands what is suitable for what: someone cuts bushes with a knife, someone prefers a thick line for a trimmer, and the knife is used for trimming. In most cases (especially in inexpensive trimmers) a thin trimmer line of poor quality is included. even in trimmers of famous brands. Experienced users immediately switch to a thicker trimmer line with a diameter of 1.6 to 2 mm.
What types of mowing machines can have
Grass ejection. This is the basic mode of all lawnmowers. The cuttings are ejected to the side or rear, depending on the model. Lawn mowers with a side discharge are suitable for cutting grass by the side of the road.
Grass box. Most lawnmowers have it included, but you can also buy it separately. it’s a fabric or plastic compartment that allows the lawnmower to work more gently. A fabric or mesh grass catcher box allows you to control its filling without interrupting your work. And the plastic bin is good for mowing wet grass.
Mulching. Not all models have this feature. The grass is cut and thrown onto the lawn, without damaging the lawn appearance and fertilizing the soil. Here it is important to consider that good mulch is obtained only from dry and soft grass. The moist grass will be clumped together, clogging the roots of the grass, preventing it from growing. The result may be gaps in the lawn.
Grass height: Size matters
From May, the first cut of the year, periodical mowing of the lawn will be compulsory. The frequency of cutting the grass depends on many factors which determine how long the grass is growing. It is advisable to keep the height of the lawn to a minimum of 1-1 cm.5 dm. Optimally, up to 7 cm.
The cutting height of the lawn is determined by the type of plants sown, the function of the lawn and its care. Broadleaf lawns are usually cut to a height of 4 to 6 cm and fine-leaf lawns to a maximum of 4 cm. It is advisable to keep the grass at the same height, but during the hot months you can cut it shorter and water it more often to prevent it from drying out.
The last cut should be made before frost sets in. This is important so that the grass lasts the winter. Leave the height too low or too high.
No more than a third of the grass height can be cut at a time, otherwise it will be difficult for the plants to regain their functions. If you cut the plants short at once, and do it infrequently, the lawn will weaken, will grow unevenly, with alternating islands of vegetation and bare ground. In neglected cases you might even need to reseed.
Note! Creating a parterre English lawn requires the right climate. If we do not have such conditions, it is not advisable to cut the grass too short (less than 30 mm) due to the risk of quick drying out of the plants and getting hard growth instead of a soft carpet.
How to choose a grass trimmer for your lawn?
A grass trimmer is a mechanism that consists of a cutting tool, a motor and a boom. You can only work it by holding it in your hands. Grass trimmers are ideal for cutting high grass, uneven ground, hard-to-get-at places and close to crops.
Better and more beautiful mowing on a flat area will provide a lawnmower. Lawn trimmers are indispensable in large areas with dense grass. Equipped with a knife, it can cut even thin trees and shrubs.
Grass trimmers are available as electric, battery-powered and gasoline-powered.
Electric grass trimmers are good for mowing small lawns near the house. It connects to a 220V extension cord. Such a grass trimmer has a light weight and cope with it, even a woman can. As a rule, electric grass trimmers are inexpensive and their power is low. But they are very convenient for mowing paths near the house, benches, small lawns surrounded by flowerbeds, areas near trees or shrubs. The minus is that the cut grass will have to be collected manually, as well as in the cord (extension cord), which creates some inconvenience in the work.
- Eco-friendliness (no exhaust fumes)
- low weight
- no petrol or oil required
- easy way to get started
Cordless grass trimmer. These grass trimmers work on battery power. They don’t have a cord, but their battery capacity is limited and they can only mow a small area at a time.
With gasoline engines. Petrol grass trimmers (brushcutters) are more powerful because of the fuel tank, and they weigh more than their electric counterparts. To work with them requires more physical effort, and start the gasoline trimmer for the grass the first time will not everyone. To fill the trimmer for grass, you must learn to mix in the correct proportions of gasoline and oil (for trimmers with a two-stroke engine). Environmental friendliness of this tool is very low, and the noise level is high. But it often happens that only a gasoline grass trimmer can get the job done.
- is not connected to a power supply, and is therefore highly mobile
- wet grass can be mowed
- high power, long motor life
- Can cut through tough, tall grass and brush
- low chance of engine overheating
Types of engines in a gasoline grass trimmer. Gasoline grass trimmers can be equipped with different engines. two-stroke or four-stroke. Each has its pros and cons. The presence of a certain type of engine does not directly affect the class of grass trimmer and its power. Grass trimmers with two-stroke engines are most in demand among buyers because of their low price.
|Type of engine||Two-stroke||Four-stroke|
|Filling||it is necessary to mix gasoline and oil in a certain proportion||separate tanks for gasoline and oil|
|Grass trimmer weight||light||heavy|
We choose the cutting system of the grass trimmer:
- line for trimmer. The most common variant. trimmer line can be of different thickness and cross-section. When choosing is better to be guided by the manufacturer’s instructions. The trimmer line winds up on a special spool on the bottom of the grass trimmer. Suitable for mowing lawns with soft grass.
- The knife. The presence of a knife can be the main or additional function. The knife is good for dealing with coarse, thick stems. Choose a knife if your lawn is heavily overgrown with weeds and tall grass.
Lawn mowing according to the rules
How to mow a lawn properly? How often you need to do it?
How much wisdom there might seem to be? Mow and mow your lawn. And there is nothing complicated here. In fact, there really is nothing difficult, you just need to know some details and nuances.
- Mow or mow the lawn regularly! How often you should cut your lawn depends on many factors, such as watering, type and variety of grass, weather conditions, etc.п. Start mowing the lawn as soon as it begins to grow. Usually it’s from March to October (it can also be from April to September). Everything depends on the weather conditions. Mow your lawn when the grass is 10-15 cm tall., not higher. If the grass is very overgrown (above 15-20 cm).) it is recommended to mow them twice, at first in the height of 10 cm., and then a second time at the right height. This is the right way to mow the lawn even when you come back from vacation, for example, and the grass has overgrown. Mow your lawn at least once a week. If the grass is growing slowly, orient yourself towards the growth, and mow once every two weeks then. A clover lawn can be mowed once or twice a month. A Moorland lawn needs to be mowed once a season. Mow parterre lawns every 3-4 days.
- The height of cut is a very important factor which directly influences the health of the lawn. In the first spring mowing, do not try to mow the lawn too low, the best height will be 5-6 cm. In the last fall mowing, when the grass has slowed its growth, mow it no higher than 3-4 cm. If the grass has suddenly grown after the last mowing, do not be lazy and mow again to the right height. Don’t let the grass go higher than 3 to 4 cm for the winter. If the summer is hot and dry, do not mow the lawn too low, preferably at a height of 5-6 cm. A lawn with longer grass evaporates less moisture. The same applies when you go away and there will be no one to mow and water the lawn. By the way, if you are going on a trip, and the weather promises to be hot and no rain, mow the lawn “throw”, that is do not collect the grass in the collection box, and leave it on the lawn. This will prevent the lawn from burning and excessive moisture evaporation. If your lawn has a “mulch” mowing feature (finely chop the grass and throw it on the lawn), that’s even better. Note that you can mulch the lawn when it is mowed regularly and the weight of the mowed grass is not great. Only then mulch will do good, not harm. If your lawn is newly sown, the first mowing should always be at least 8-10 cm high, i.e. the tips of the grass growing from seeds should be cut so the grass will start to bush and sprout. If you have an auto irrigation system on your property, then even on the hottest days feel free to mow your lawn to a height of 3-4 cm. If you want to do lawn repair, the best height is 2-2,5 cm. The same height is needed before scarifying and before combing the lawn.
- There are rules for mowing the lawn along certain lines and directions. But usually they mow the lawn the way it’s convenient or to their owners’ liking. Some want and mow so that the stripes were along, and some need only across. And even very aesthetes mow concentric circles, herringbones and different figures. In my opinion, you have to do it the way you like it. Simply by drawing lines on the lawn, the lawn can be made visually longer, or wider. Generally it is still recommended to change mowing direction from time to time to improve the quality of work. But still, lines and patterns like on European soccer fields can only be achieved with high quality machinery with a moving roller at the back. The sides of the light do not influence the quality of grass growth, so it does not really matter how the grass grows. Unless, of course, you have a “parterre”. That’s exactly the kind of grass you should mow, following all the lines and directions.
- What’s the best weather for mowing lawns?? A better cutting is only possible in dry weather when the grass is dry. And you spend a lot less time.
- Lawn mower. There are a great many lawnmowers. The best lawn mower for a large lawn is a self-propelled machine with a gasoline engine. It doesn’t need to be pushed or pulled, teenagers and older people can cope with it. It has no electrical wire to get tangled up in. These lawn mowers from quality manufacturers will work for decades. It is better to choose a mower with a rear wheel drive, they are more convenient, because the rear wheels are loaded most of all in the process of work (grass catcher box). Your financial investment is well worth it. You will enjoy mowing. And if your lawn is small, just a few acres, then you can get by with a good electric mower from the same good manufacturer.
- grass trimmer. It’s used to mow areas that are hard to reach for wide “muzzle” mowers (curbs, corners, areas of irregular and narrow shapes, the area around plants and under trees, places near fences and fences). They also come in different versions: electric, gasoline and battery-powered short ones that are easy to mow with one hand. If you have a lot of places that are hard to reach for a lawn mower, and you don’t like cutting the grass with hand scissors, then you need a tool like this. Such a grass mower is also useful if you have not mowed for some time, and your grass stand is no longer amenable to a lawnmower. As a rule, first pass with a trimmer, mowing difficult places, and then use a lawnmower to collect mowed trimmer at the same time. If you mow very tall grass and then want to trim it with a lawnmower, mow at a height of at least 10 cm so as not to cut the lawn to the ground, pick up the cut grass with a rake, and pass the lawnmower at the desired height. If you are inexperienced with such a tool, you should be very careful. You can damage leaves and trunks with the fishing line, which can chop or damage a tree with a trunk 1 cm thick, not to mention all other plants, if you work at high speed. And it is imperative that you strictly observe all. Safety rules, which are detailed in the instructions for use of such a bevel.
- Periodically check the tips of the grass clippings. If they are shaggy, frayed and dry out after a while, it’s time to sharpen the mower blades. Lawn mowing should be done with well-sharpened blades.
The right choice of grass cutting equipment greatly facilitates the process and increases its efficiency, but the necessary unit is not always available. So it is necessary to understand how different types of mowing equipment work, because having this information you can always choose the most effective analogue.
Also now you know how to mow the grass without the mower, so the work was as fast and effective as possible.
Block: 9/9 | Characters: 462
Number of blocks: 14 Total number of characters: 28783Number of donors used: 3Information on each donor: