Ways to make a hood for an angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner with their own hands
When cutting metal with an angle grinder, sparks occur, and when processing concrete, stone, granite and other similar materials, dust is generated. If you cut wood with an angle grinder, a lot of shavings are generated in the process. To process concrete and wood angular grinding machine was performed with minimal clogging, you will need to make a cover for the angle grinder under the vacuum cleaner. You can buy such an attachment for your power tool, but it is a good idea to make it yourself, so you don’t have to spend money.
Before you start working on concrete and wood, you need to imagine what you are going to end up with. When cutting with an angle grinder dust is generated, which is not only deposited in the room, but also gets into the respiratory organs of the person. That is why you should wear only a respirator and safety goggles when working with the tool. To protect the room from excessive dust, you will need to work with a special nozzle, which is connected to a hose from a vacuum cleaner.
Apply the nozzle on the angle grinder should be in the following cases:
- When patching concrete, brick, cinder block, slate and other similar materials. If shorbing is performed at the construction stage, then the dust settling in the room is not as dangerous as it is during the repair. When cutting tough materials is their crushing, which causes the formation of dust, settling all over the room
- Cutting tiles and ceramic tiles. when processing these materials also forms dust, which is especially dangerous to human health. Tiles can be cut with special tile cutters, and no dust is generated, but if the work is performed with an angle grinder, it is better to install a special attachment
- Woodworking. when sawing wood, not only dust is generated, but also sawdust, which can be quickly and easily removed with the hood mounted on the angle grinder
Manufacturers make special hoods for angle grinders with wheel diameters of 125, 150 and 230 mm. These are the most common cutting tools, and manufacturers make special dust extraction hoods for them.
This is interesting!If there is no industrial vacuum cleaner, it is not recommended to use a household vacuum cleaner for dust extraction when working with an angle grinder.
The fact that the cover on the angle grinder needed, craftsman and experts do not even doubt it, because it is enough once to try to make cutting concrete, to be convinced of the need to purchase or manufacture dust collector. What is better, to buy or make your own hands guard for dust collection on the angle grinder, here everyone must decide for himself. After all, the protective cover is relatively inexpensive, but to avoid costs at all, then the nozzle should be made by yourself.
Choose a ready-made protective cover for angle grinder with dust extraction is not always possible, since not all products match the connection dimensions. In addition, they are not always available. The third limiting factor is the price. the Metabo GED125 model will cost 3800, and the Bosch GWS 22-230 costs 13800, which is twice the price of the angle grinder. Such force the owners of the angle grinder to think about the independent manufacture of protection from dust, especially since this event is not particularly difficult.
People with a technical mind invent similar devices and remake containers for this purpose, which happened to be at hand. The result is quite usable, albeit unsightly in appearance, devices. They fulfill the assigned tasks not at all worse than industrial samples, and cost practically nothing. Consider some options:
Makeshift casing from a pot
- It is only necessary to pick up the diameter according to the size of the disk (2-3 cm more). The easiest way is to put the disk to the bottom, choose the optimal position and mark the center with a marker;
- Then a segment is cut off, which determines how far the disk is out of the casing;
- Around the planned center, a circle is outlined, the diameter of which corresponds to the fitment size of the angle grinder;
- Drill a hole in the designated center, from which the metal scissors are notched rays from the center to the edges. The resulting petals are bent outward, forming a planting diameter to fit the angle grinder;
- take a metal clamp of an appropriate size and carefully weld it to the bent lugs. It is tried on the angle grinder and finally fitted;
- a cutting-off disk is installed and its position is marked on the walls of the pan in a circle with about 1 cm to spare. Cross cuts are then made from the edges to the marked line, and the resulting petals are bent inward. The surplus parts are cut off with metal scissors;
- Fix the outer wall to the bent petals using any available method. welding, bolting or screwing with a wire. The material for it can be a metal sheet, plastic, etc. д.
- The hole for the vacuum cleaner nozzle is marked on the side of the cover. The spigot itself can be made of plastic sewer pipe, or it can be made of metal. The spigot is inserted into the hole and fastened in an accessible way. by welding, screwing with a wire, etc.п.
Exhaust makeshift casing under the grinding is made even easier. the pot of the desired diameter is installed on the landing hole, cut to height so that the grinding disk angle grinder was completely covered by the remainder. Then along the perimeter notched blades of height about 5-10 mm and bent outward. A foam seal for doors or windows is attached to them, which ensures the tightness of the hood. All that remains is to make a hole in the bottom next to the seating, and attach a nozzle for the vacuum cleaner. The shell is ready.
The canister accessory
Plastic bottle-canister from the technical liquids is convenient because it already has almost ready outlet for a vacuum cleaner. The neck of the canister is well connected with the hose, all that remains is to find the right size of the disc and make a hole in the side flat part of the canister. You need a clamp with an adapter ring, which will connect the container to the angle grinder. This element is important, so you need to make it as carefully as possible, otherwise when working, the dust cover will fall off the seating diameter of the angle grinder. In the narrow side part a slot is made for the disk.
Such a guard is simple, lightweight and requires little time to make. Old jerrycans are lying around in any garage, finding them is not a problem. You only need to spend a little time and labor.
for factory models are too high, so the vast majority of craftsmen use homemade. They do not require expense, are made from improvised materials and do a pretty good job. It takes a few hours to produce, but the benefit derived from such products is great and fully justifies the effort and time spent.
Types of shrouds
In stores selling power tools you can find a protective cover for angle grinder with dust extraction. Most manufacturers produce them for semi-professional and professional equipment from well-known companies.
The purpose of this additional equipment. effective dust removal from the processing zone by means of the angle grinder. Mounting is carried out on the regular places with a clamp.
The exhaust pipe is the same size as the vacuum cleaner’s suction hose. Outer diameter. 65 mm. Diameter of the hole is 59 mm. The dimensions of the dust extractor correspond to the circle to be installed. For example, the hood Messer 10-40-441 is designed for a wheel diameter of 180 mm. And its dimensions are 245x230x100 mm.
The big disadvantage of purchase equipment is considered a high price. So, the minimum, which is comparable to the cost of a budget angle grinder.
But the goal on invention is cunning, and home masters have solved the problem by independent manufacturing of additional equipment.
Purpose of the casing
The most dusty works are considered those that are carried out in closed rooms:
- Concrete and brick drilling. Large quantities of dust are generated regardless of the type of material. This work is complicated by the fact that it is often carried out with a jointer at a height of up to two meters. The dust that falls from above settles thickly all over the enclosed room.
- Tile cutting. This is the most common job of home craftsmen. It is worth noting that ceramic dust is the most penetrating, fine and dangerous to health.
- Sanding wood floors. This work is very extensive and performed on a huge area. For this reason, sawdust and fine dust as a result of sanding is quite large.
To fight the formation of dust, manufacturers of angle grinders offer factory protection solutions. For example, you can install a small dust bag on the angle grinder. However, such a solution is suitable for large construction teams. This article will tell what to do the average home handyman, who will only use an angle grinder.
If the financial situation allows, you can buy in a construction store a special cover with a dust outlet or buy an angle grinder, which is equipped with such a device. The high price of such a tool makes the purchase unreasonable for one-time use, because it is much more profitable to invite a team of builders. But there is another way out of this situation.
You can make an angle grinder with a dust outlet under the vacuum cleaner with your own hands. In the network you can find a lot of options for this universal dust collector. Some craftsmen make the hood from durable metal with a welding machine. But there are simpler solutions to this problem.
Make a dust extraction with your own hands can be made of such materials:
How to make the simplest stand for the surface grinder with your own hands
With the most common tools and using improvised materials can be made a simple rack for the angle grinder with their own hands. To fix the angle grinder to the base, you need corners, metal or textolite plates. If two metal plates are used, you can replace the screws with a welded connection. The plate, which serves as a moving platform, is made of steel sheet or aluminum duralumin up to five millimeters thick.
Self-made stand for the angle grinder
If you use textolite instead of metal sheet, the workpiece should be up to ten millimeters thick. The second plate must necessarily be metal, as it serves as a stop. Five millimeters thick steel is used for production, since it bears the brunt of the load. Thinner metal can not be used because of vibrations and possible deformation, which makes the work with the device unsafe.
For a secure hold on the platform on one half of the plate is drilled through several holes with a diameter of five millimeters. The second half of the plate is marked out so that then in the center of it to drill a hole with a diameter of eight millimeters. All holes drilled in the platform are drilled from the back for the heads of countersunk screws. It is permissible to replace the second plate with an angle by drilling through it appropriately.
If welding can not be used, the angle or plate firmly fixed with screws to the platform so that the distance from the edge of the device to the cutting disc was at least five millimeters. In doing so, the angle must be bent 60° in relation to the post. To avoid rotation of the bolt and vibration of the grinder is fixed at the top of a bolt with a washer Grover or a lock nut.
Designation of the dust collector for the angle grinder
Using an angle grinder (angle grinder) for repair work with concrete in the home creates a lot of dust.
If you want to level the wall, grind it for painting or other types of finish coating, all the bumps or irregularities become tiny particles of concrete suspended in the air.
Despite the personal protection used, they penetrate the mouth, eyes, respiratory organs.
In addition, dust settles on all pieces of furniture, walls, ceilings and other surfaces, requiring time-consuming and laborious cleaning. Dust from masonry walls penetrates the surfaces, irreversibly damaging their appearance.
There are several designs of hoods with a nozzle for connecting a vacuum cleaner, which significantly improve the process. They are purchased in a store and installed on the angle grinder, connected with a vacuum cleaner. Work with such devices almost completely eliminates the flight of dust and can significantly reduce the contamination of the room and the interior air. Outwardly, they look like the usual protection, but with a closed housing and an outlet for connecting a hose to the vacuum cleaner.
Accessories for angle grinder for slotting
Punching nozzle on the angle grinder must provide:
- Installation of a second saw blade.
- Receptacle for connecting a vacuum cleaner.
- Protective cover to protect the operator from debris generated by the work.
- Seat for mounting the suction cyclone of the vacuum cleaner.
The basic conditions for such attachment to work are as follows. angle grinder must have a sufficiently powerful drive (not less than 1500 watts), and the length of the shaft on which the main saw blade is installed, must be sufficient for mounting an additional blade, which will form the second wall of the slot.
Also the diameter of the saw blade itself is important, as it influences the working safety and the depth of the slot that can be cut.
Also important is the type of bearings on which the shaft rotates: the presence of a second disc increases the unevenness of the load, so the usual ball bearings, the allowed axial thrust on which is small, very quickly will fail, with the corresponding seizure of the shaft and failure of equipment. Tools with needle or roller bearings are required.
Finally, when rotating the shaft, the movement of the saw blade should be carried out to the worker, not away from him (in the latter case, the total torque will push the angle grinder from the received with its help chisel).
The purchased angle grinder attachment is prepared for work as follows. Remove protective cover from gearbox. A support sleeve is put on the main shaft, which tightly presses the shaft with a clamp fastener.
On the shaft the first diamond disc of the required diameter is installed. 150 to 230 mm, larger sizes will lead to an increase in the cantilever load on the bushing. It is not recommended to replace the diamond disc with another, especially if you want to get the grooves in the concrete. A thrust washer is put on the bushing (usually professional tools include several of these parts of different thickness, which determines the width of the joint).
Attach the dust extraction nozzle to the dust extraction cone with a simple adhesive tape. Attach the gearbox of the angle grinder to the extended control handle. It is worth noting that any slot cutter head on the angle grinder industrial production has a landing place for a removable handle, which is unified with the regular handle from the same manufacturer of the main tool. This is a limitation of the design in question.
After that, check the alignment of both discs, fasten the housing to the lever support, align its stroke, and check the reliability of fixation of all elements of the nozzle at idle, and then. and at operating stroke.
To improve the performance of the cover, it must be properly aligned and secured. The installation process is simple, even a novice technician can cope with it. Connecting the nozzle is as follows:
- At first, you should close the standard cover of the angle grinder with an aerodynamic one, for this purpose it is rested in the footrest;
- then the hood is clamped to the studs, it is fixed with screws, ensuring symmetry to the disk;
- the vacuum cleaner hose is connected to the suction pipe; it must run freely through the opening in the cover;
- completes the installation process control check fasteners, because the work can begin only with the reliable fixation of the cover.
To learn how to make the dust cover for angle grinder with your own hands, watch the following video.