Ways to make a hood for an angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner with their own hands
Angle grinder is a simple, but extremely popular hand-held power tool, which managed to gain notable popularity in most types of technical and repair work. You can not call its capabilities too wide, as well as a set of functional abilities, but the very tasks that the angle grinder solves, inaccessible to other tools.
Users appreciate the angle grinder and are constantly trying to refine, improve the set of functions and abilities. Consider one of these options, capable of making the use of the tool clean and comfortable.
Cutting ceramic tiles without dust
It is very difficult to perform cutting of ceramic tiles with an angle grinder with a factory dust extractor, because the cover overlaps the place of cutting, and the builder needs absolute control over the work. For this purpose, it is worth making a homemade dust collector from transparent materials, for example, from a large plastic bottle.
It is fixed in place with a factory-fitted protective hood. the bottle neck fits very well under the nozzle of a household vacuum cleaner. Such a homemade transparent nozzle will help to perform the most difficult work. And also the master will be able to control the penetration of the cutting disc into the ceramic tile. When the work is done, all that’s needed is to throw the trash out of the bag.
During repair or construction, it is sometimes necessary to work on concrete: cut an opening for a window, an alcove, ream the walls for wiring. Craftsmen know how many fine particles this creates. Cleaning after such activities. an occupation very time consuming. We propose to understand whether it is possible to cut concrete without dust and how to organize this process.
Types of hoods
In stores selling power tools, you can find a protective cover for angle grinders with dust extraction. Most manufacturers make them under the semi-professional and professional equipment known firms.
The purpose of this optional accessory is to effectively remove dust from the machining zone through the angle grinder itself. Mounting is carried out on the regular places with a clamp.
Exhaust pipe has the same size as the suction hose of the vacuum cleaner. Outer diameter is 65 mm. Diameter of the hole is 59 mm. The dimensions of the vacuum cleaner correspond to the installed wheel. For example, the hood Messer 10-40-441 designed under the wheel diameter of 180 mm. And its dimensions are 245x230x100 mm.
The big disadvantage of purchase tools is the high price. So, the minimum, which is comparable to the cost of budget angle grinder.
But the last resort is a clever trick, and home masters have solved the problem by independently making additional equipment.
Purpose of the hood
The most dusty works are those which are performed in closed rooms:
- Scraping concrete and brick. Large amounts of dust are generated, regardless of the type of material. This work is complicated by the fact that it is often performed with a floor saw at a height of up to two meters. The dust that falls from above settles in a thick layer all over the closed room.
- Tile cutting. This is the most common job of homebuilders. It is worth noting that ceramic dust is the most penetrating, fine, and dangerous to health.
- Scraping wood floors. This work is very bulky and covers a huge area. For this reason, sawdust and fine dust as a result of sanding get quite a lot of.
To fight the formation of dust, the manufacturers of grinders offer factory protection solutions. You could, for example, fit a small dust bag on the angle grinder. However, this solution is suitable for large construction crews. This article will tell you what to do the average home handyman, who will only use an angle grinder.
If the financial situation allows, you can buy a special hood with dust extraction in a construction store, or purchase an angle grinder, which is complete with such a device. The high price of such a tool makes the purchase impractical for one-time use, because it is much more profitable to invite a team of builders. But there is another way out of this situation.
You can make an angle grinder with a dust collector under the dust collector with your own hands. You can find a lot of variants of this universal dust collector in the network. Some craftsmen make the hood from durable metal with the help of a welding machine. But there are simpler solutions to this problem.
Make a dust extraction with your own hands can be made of such materials:
Dust extraction from a plastic canister do it yourself
The easiest and most economical option to make a cover for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner. is to use a plastic canister as the basis. To implement such a variant of the cover, you will need to take an appropriate volume of canister. Usually a one- or five-liter canister is enough, but it all depends on the size of the tool itself.
The principle of manufacturing the hood is simple enough, and to implement it, you first need to prepare a drawing, which is used to produce a dust extraction nozzle. The following factors must be taken into account when making it:
- Consider the size of the nozzle, which depends on the plunging depth of the cutting disc. The larger the size of the nozzle, the shallower the depth of the resulting cut
- Cut holes of the required diameter depending on the size of the sleeve to install the device on the shaft of the power tool and fix it
- On one side, the hole is drilled, so you can attach the tool to the shaft of the power tool. It is not necessary to make a hole on the other side, because dust can seep through it, which will reduce the effectiveness of the nozzle
- The neck of the canister is used as a bracket for the vacuum cleaner hose. To connect the neck of the canister with a hose from an industrial vacuum cleaner, use a coupler or clamp
To make such a device you will need a minimum of time, effort and expense. The result should be a device for the removal of dust when cutting concrete, tile and wood.
To improve the performance of the safety cover, it must be correctly positioned and secured. The installation process is not difficult, even a novice craftsman can cope with it. Connection of the nozzle is as follows:
- first close the standard hood of the angle grinder aerodynamic, for this purpose it is resting on the footrest;
- then perform clamping hood on the studs, it is fixed with screws, ensuring symmetry to the disk;
- Hose vacuum cleaner is connected to the exhaust pipe, it must pass freely into the opening of the hood;
- the installation process is completed by checking the fasteners, because work can begin only when the housing is securely fastened.
On how to make a cover for dust extraction for angle grinder with his hands, see the following video.
Hi guys! I’ve been coming to you a lot). But that’s how it is with beginners. I have a lot of topics, I want to ask and share a lot. In general, the theme is this. When I encountered sanding fiberglass, I realized that it was a cakewalk, to say the least. I have an orbital grinder with a vacuum cleaner, but the angle grinder is not. And since I first roughly grind it, the picture looks something like this:
Causes of dust
the angle grinder is a universal tool. With its help, using a variety of nozzles, you can cut metal, stone, ceramic and tile, handle wood and other materials. But one of the disadvantages is the formation of a huge amount of dust. Works that cause a lot of fine debris:
- Grooving in the walls. The work is done on the plaster, and cement and sand have a fine fraction. The height of the ducts is at one and a half or two meters. From this height the dust settles evenly over the whole area of the room.
- Sanding wooden structures. Before painting or varnishing, wood must be rid of the cellulose fibers that are produced during sawing. Chips are thin, lightweight and hang in the air for long periods of time.
- Removing old paint coatings. Before fresh paint is applied, the old paint must be removed. A flap wheel is used. The paint it removes is very fine.
- Cutting of floor and decorative ceramic tiles. Sintered ceramics have a fine grain structure and penetrate everywhere.
- Sanding parquet or hardwood floors. Floors are levelled by removing the top layer. The irregularities have varying heights and therefore, besides chips, a lot of wood dust is generated.
After finishing repairs, dust has to be removed from all possible crevices and cavities. To protect neighboring rooms from construction dust, protective screens made of polyethylene film or light fabric are installed in doorways. Also using special accessories, which you can make yourself.
The second way to connect the vacuum cleaner
This method is to connect to the angle grinder construction vacuum cleaner with improvised means.
Polypropylene drain 50mm in diameter, at 45 degrees;
Reinforced adhesive tape (for greater reliability);
The described components for this method can be replaced by any suitable analogues.
Step by step instruction
1) Put the angle grinder on the floor, a table, etc., and hold the grinder against the ground. so that it lies with the disc upwards, parallel to the plane of the base.
The angle grinder must be placed sufficiently steadily.
2) Take the tap with pliers or some kind of clamping.
3) We turn on the angle grinder and literally saw the spigot along the housing, under the hood of the angle grinder, about 3 cm.
4) We take armored scotch tape, and tightly, under tension, wrap the lead to the body of the angle grinder, with a small setback (a couple of centimeters) to the saw blade.
The pipe must be firmly secured so that it stands absolutely still.
5) Take masking tape and stick it on the open side of the cover, connecting it with the dust outlet.
Such a design allows you to easily connect a construction vacuum cleaner and saw with an angle grinder without dust.
Only a construction vacuum cleaner can be used for this kind of work.
When sawing, the blade should be inserted into the material to be treated from the motor side, closer to the spigot.
That way, all dust can escape through the outlet into the vacuum cleaner.
Sawing of objects is done with the motor forward.
Such a system of dust extraction does not imply any serious structural changes in the angle grinder.
We just attached the nozzle to the tool body.
And masking tape covered the second part of the casing, this element can create a false impression of protection.
Painting tape is designed only for protection against dust.
It is therefore necessary to observe all safety precautions when working with an angle grinder.
Angle grinder is considered a versatile tool. In addition to its many advantages, it has one significant disadvantage. during the cutting and grinding of material, it produces large amounts of dust. To free themselves from the long cleaning of the room after working with an angle grinder, masters use devices equipped with a vacuum cleaner. The main element of any of these devices is the protective hood. It can be easily picked up for any model of angle grinder. The main thing is to know how to attach the piece correctly to the extraction system.