How to fix a suspended ceiling to the wall with plasterboard. 3 effective and affordable options
Maksym November 29, 2016 Specialization: country construction, apartment repair, landscaping of the garden plot, installation and connection of engineering communications.
The combined stretch ceiling in combination with plasterboard finishes.
This article is intended for those who want to combine a plasterboard ceiling with suspended ceilings. This combination is possible by following the technology of installation. To explain to the reader how to do it competently, I will tell about three options for attaching a stretch ceiling to plasterboard walls.
The small size of the stretch ceiling will not create a significant load, but if the room has large dimensions and a multi-level design is planned, it will be necessary to perform strengthening of the wall. In such a case, you can not use conventional fasteners, such as dowels and screws, because they will not hold in the drywall. Because of this, it is necessary to install embedded profiles in the places of fixation of the mounting plank. Their fastening will contribute to a reliable fixation.
Please note! Not making the installation of embedded profiles during tensioning the canvas can tear the supporting fasteners. In addition, the use of fasteners for drywall type “butterfly” should be excluded. Such elements are not able to ensure a tight fit of the mounting strip, due to which further gaps arise.
In general, embedders are made from a similar profile, which is fastened to plasterboard sheets, but if they are absent or require significant strengthening of the installation site, you can use a bar of wood of suitable size.
Their use greatly helps in the installation of curtain rails, chandeliers and lighting fixtures. In some cases, when performing installation work, a profile is used that has a greater width than the standard, which is attached when performing the frame under the plasterboard sheets.
The tensioning of the cloth may be carried out only after finishing finishing work in the room. This is required due to the fact that the vinyl covering is quite a fragile material, which needs to be handled with the utmost care, which is why it is necessary to completely prevent the possibility of its interaction with sharp objects.
Before filing the lower level of the construction of plasterboard, it is necessary to perform fixing of all the embedded strips for the further installation of fastening strips. This rule must be followed when creating a combined ceiling with several levels.
During the work can not be carried out cooling the room using forced ventilation and opening windows. In such a situation the cooling begins to occur unevenly, which creates irregularities. In view of this, the canvas should cool in normal conditions, so it will eventually stretch itself and get a surface with a high level of flatness and smoothness.
The installation process in general terms
Stretching the ceiling is nothing supernatural and really complicated. First, the mounting profiles are attached to the perimeter. Then it is necessary to hook the cloth, prepared in advance according to the size of the ceiling. The film is heated with a heat gun, and then gently shoved with a putty knife under the profile. Stretching helps give it the desired shape.
After turning off the device the cloth begins to cool gradually. During this period, it is important to avoid drafts, otherwise you will have to redo everything.
Fastening to the sheet plasterboard is another problem, because it can simply not withstand the load imposed on it. Fasten the mounting profiles with dowels or screws? But they just tear out. How to mount a suspended ceiling safely and securely? The way out of this situation will be the embedding profiles. the mounting bar is attached directly to them.
Depending on the chosen method, it is possible to mount a suspended ceiling by French (harpoon), Dutch (hookless) or claw methods. Each of them will be considered in more detail to make it easier for you to make a decision.
Given the characteristics of the room where installation will be carried out, you need to choose the most suitable way to fix the cloth. There are several types, and each is designed for its own application.
Important: some types of fasteners do not allow you to stretch a large area web, without the device additional rigidity rib. It is intended to eliminate sagging. An ordinary chandelier can serve as such an edge.
Methods of fixation are few, to be exact. only three:
The most complex and difficult to perform is a harpoon method. It requires a very accurate measurement of the room and maximum compliance with the shape of the product to the contour of the room. It should also be 7 percent less in area. It is allowed to deviate from this figure by 1 percent. Such measurements can only be made by a highly qualified specialist, and the order is better to make in advance. The terms of manufacture of ceilings with harpoon fastening are rather long, because of the need to weld a harpoon bar.
No-harpoon or wedge fastening method is much easier and more frequently used. There is no need to weld anything and installation is easier. The ceiling can be 10-15 centimeters smaller than the room, and if there is any excess fabric, they can be removed after fixing.
The cam method is more complicated than the previous one, but allows you to secure the stretched coating as high as possible. In this case, you can stretch the fabric just 8 millimeters below the main overlap.
With what to start the work
The question of whether it is possible to attach a stretch ceiling to plasterboard will be followed by a positive answer, because the walls of GKL. perfectly smooth, even, really suitable for this kind of work. The main thing. the right approach to the stage of their preparation.
To do this on the surface of the walls perform a marking, taking into account the features of the future ceiling structure, and according to the planned boundaries proceed to the assembly of the wall frame around the perimeter of the room with the device of the inner crate.
Block: 3/7 | Number of characters: 495
Ways of fastening stretch ceilings
First of all, to attach the vinyl canvas stretch ceiling should be determined by the level of the plane. The minimum distance from the PVC ceiling to the main ceiling must be 3.5 cm. If the stretch ceiling is equipped with spotlights, the distance to the main ceiling is the length of the lamp base, plus 1-1.5 cm for connection and heat dissipation.
There are three basic ways of fastening vinyl canvases to the mounting profile. harpoon (French) fastening of the canvas, hook-and-loop (Dutch) fastening and claw fastening of the canvas.
Harpoon attachment method for vinyl canvases
Harpoon (French) fastening of the stretch ceiling
- With the harpoon method of fixing the ceiling requires accurate measurement of the room or space on which the cloth will be stretched. This is necessary in order to repeat all the contours of the ceiling niche and along the perimeter of the web to weld a so-called harpoon, which serves as a locking web.
- Harpoon bar is welded to the cloth in the factory, so the dimensions of the cloth should repeat the contours of the installation space as closely as possible and be 7% less to be able to pull. The maximum deviation from the dimensions is 1%. Welding the harpoon strip in the factory due to the long waiting period for ordering stretch ceilings.
- In established bar with a putty knife inserted one end of the cloth, then the cloth is heated to 70⁰C and the opposite end of the cloth is inserted. Exactly the same way the remaining ends of the cloth are inserted. the cloth is heated with a heat gun and inserted with a putty knife into the fastening profile. the harpoon is clicked in the rail and the cloth is fixed.
- All irregularities and wrinkles in the ceiling disappear after the ceiling has been heated with a heat gun and the fabric cools down to room temperature. Then a decorative baguette is inserted into the mounting profile from underneath and closes the fastening system.
Tip. If the fastening slat is installed on the drywall and you can not determine where there are metal profiles, in order to screw them with screws. use a moth for wall or ceiling drywall.
The hook and loop fastening method of stretch ceilings
The Dutch boltless attachment of the vinyl webbing
- Grass or Dutch fixing method is much easier than the harpoon method and this is explained by the fact that it is not necessary to solder mounting to the cloth and, therefore, to send an order to the manufacturer.
- When tackless method of attachment edge cloth troweled into the mounting bar and fixed another strip that simultaneously serves as a decoration and spacer. If anyone is familiar with embroidery, he saw that the same method stretches the fabric in the hoop.
- The stretched canvas should be 10-15 cm smaller than the size of the future stretch ceiling, because when heated, the vinyl film will stretch to the correct size, and then, when cooled, will create an even and smooth plane.
The cam method of attachment of stretch ceilings
- Pay attention to the schematic illustration of the cam method of mounting the leaf, and you’ll see that the mounting plate is provided as if the cams, one of which is a spring.
- The principle of the device is as follows: the fabric is pushed between the cams with a trowel, the upper cam is pushed away, and when the trowel is pulled out. the cam takes the same position. When the cloth is stretched, the movable cam is pressed even harder against the stationary one, thus fixing the stretch ceiling.
- The advantage of such mounting is that thanks to the small height of the mounting profile the canvas can be installed not 35mm but 8mm lower than the main ceiling.
- In the case of multilevel curved or linear ceilings, such method of fixing is quite acceptable, as fixing a suspended ceiling on such a device means to insert islands of vinyl fabric, stretching it between drywall figures.
Installing the lighting fixtures on the stretch ceiling
Ways of installing the chandelier on the suspended ceiling
- All the weight of the chandelier, mounted on the suspended ceiling, is borne by the main ceiling, where the fixture is mounted before installing the vinyl leaf.
- The chandelier can be suspended on the fixing hook, as well as on the fixing rail. in any case it is necessary to cut holes in the suspended ceiling fabric.
- In order to prevent the edges of the cut hole from creeping, as well as for decorating the appearance of the canvas glued thermal insulating plastic ring, and then the hole is cut.
Installation of spotlight on the suspended ceiling
- When installing spotlights usually under the suspended ceiling install a framework of CD profiles, on which then hang fixtures. Cut out the vinyl sheet in the same way as you did for the chandelier.
Tip. When installing a stretch ceiling in dark color it is necessarily necessary to illuminate it well, and for this purpose, spotlights are the best way.
Block: 2/3 | Number of characters: 5000
To begin with, let’s discuss the options when the construction of the gypsum plasterboard is not yet assembled. After that, consider how to attach to the finished plasterboard wall, where there was no provision for the installation of a stretch ceiling.
During the work, you will need the following tools:
- a pencil;
- A level (laser is better, but a water level will do);
- An impact drill or an accelerator;
- screwdriver with a screwing nozzle;
- Self-tapping screws and plastic dowels;
- a heat gun to heat the vinyl film;
- trowel for filling the canvas;
- construction knife;
- hacksaw for metal;
Installing the inserts
Before you begin work, it is necessary to determine at what height the stretch ceiling will be fastened.
Features: If there are no plans for recessed lighting, the indentation is minimal. 3-5 cm. Otherwise, the ceiling is lowered by 10-15 cm (depending on the size of the fixtures).
Marks are put at the right height. Next, the frame of gypsum plasterboard paneling is installed. At the level where the stretch ceiling will be, it is necessary to attach tabs. Two types of materials are used for this:
The second option is only suitable for small rooms. The flashing will take the main load of the leaf. It must be securely fastened:
- A profile is screwed to every post;
- The bar is fixed to the solid wall with dowels and galvanized self-tapping screws 4.5 x 60 mm (at least in two places).
After that you equip the framework with plasterboards. You should take 12,5 mm thick sheets and fasten them with self-tapping screws every 10-15 cm. A more frequent spacing than in conventional installation gives extra strength.
Important! It is recommended to fasten the plasterboard so that the edges are in the middle of the profile.
The gaps between the sheets are reinforced with corrugated tape and putty. Then the walls are painted or wallpapered. Then in the area of the embedding point, the baguettes for stretch ceilings are screwed to the drywall. The standard spacing is 10-15 cm. After that the membrane sheet is stretched.
Assembling a combined two-level ceiling
The second option. the attachment of the stretch ceiling to the plasterboard box, installed on the perimeter of the room. This design allows you to hide utilities and build in lighting. And the height of the room will decrease slightly.
Consider how to mount a rectangular box along the walls with a stretch ceiling in the central part. complex designs (including in rooms with niches and protrusions) are assembled on the same principle.
First the framework for the plasterboard part is mounted:
- A profile is attached along the perimeter of the ceiling.
- The necessary depth is measured from the lowest point.
- With the help of a leveler, marks are made at the same level on all walls.
- At this height are mounted the lower profiles for drywall.
- The width of the future box is measured and the marks are made on the walls.
- Mount the profiles parallel to the previous.
- Between the lower parts of the framework are placed horizontal lintels (perpendicular to the walls). The distance between them must match the width of the GPB.
- Then the vertical lintels are installed.
- Measuring the height at which the stretch ceiling will be located.
- At this level, a continuous horizontal profile is attached to the vertical lintels (which has the same function as the embedding).
The framework is trimmed with gypsum plasterboard. Then a suspended ceiling is attached to the plasterboard box:
Block: 4/5 | Number of characters: 3516
Typical mistakes made with different methods of installation of a suspended ceiling
The most common mistake is the presence of large gaps between the wall and ceiling surfaces. They can occur for one of two reasons:
- An uneven wall. The solution. the use of decorative moldings or wide fillets.
- Installation mistakes are too strong a tension of the cloth or wrong distance between the fasteners for the profile.
No less common are also considered the following shortcomings:
Every mistake can render all efforts fruitless, so the appearance of your ceiling depends on the quality of the work.