Reels (heads) for trimmers
Mowing heads with the lines placed in them, along with blades and discs, are included in the list of cutting equipment for trimmers. The main function of trimmers, or as they are often called, reels, is to cut the grass quickly and accurately. Today there are different types of heads on sale. All of them are differentiated mainly by the principle of feeding and charging the line. This classification makes it possible to choose the optimal mowing head for almost any beginning gardener.
Most amateur and household brushcutters are distinguished by a simple device. They consist of an engine, a boom in which there is a flexible or rigid drive shaft, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the grass trimmer head. According to the principle of filament feeding heads are divided into the following types:
- manual. this type of headset got its name due to the fact that the cutting cord in it is fed manually. Every time you need to extend the line for your trimmer, the operator has to stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. It brings its own inconveniences, but this type of device is considered the most popular among gardeners. Hand-held reels differ from their counterparts in durability and low prices;
- Semi-automatic. with this type of head, you can extend the line by pushing the head to the ground. During this, a button is pressed, which activates the anchoring mechanism. It creates a centrifugal force that pushes the cord outward. Semi-automatic grass trimmer head has one important advantage. when using it, you do not need to stop working with the brushcutter, as you can extend the cord for the trimmer while the engine is running. The only disadvantage is that semi-automatic cutting heads cost a bit more than manual coils;
- automatic. standard devices of this type are easy to use. To extend the cord, the operator only needs to reduce the engine speed of the brushcutter. Automatic factory coil for grass trimmer differs from counterparts in ease of operation. Nevertheless, the of this type of headset are the highest on the market.
Each of these cutting attachments is suited to different conditions. Manual heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset makes it possible to buy several manual trimmer heads at once, and replace them one by one as they break down. The automatic models, on the contrary, are quite expensive, so it is best to use them to care for clean areas.
STIHL brushcutters, wire guide for the AutoCut 25 2 cutting head
If the grass trimmer reel button lightly striking the ground does not lengthen the trimmer line, the prerequisites for this are as follows.
Variant 1. a jamming issue, t.е. jamming of the filament between the coils. This mismatch usually occurs if the user has wound the line for the trimmer on the spool unevenly, with a crossed coils, or wind it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, the rotation of the mowing head at high revolutions under the influence of centrifugal force cord begins to tighten, and as a result, you inter-scroll clamping line. To eliminate the difficulty will have to dismantle the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, even turns with a good tension.
Option 3.2. very short ends protrude from the head. the line for the trimmer may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends, sticking out of the head, are not long enough (not long enough). Then the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the trimmer line. That’s why you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine or disconnect trimmer elletricheskogo for grass from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, by first pressing the button.
Option 3. the trimmer line is soldered inside the mowing head. This leads to the fact that the spool stops spinning when the button is pressed. This mostly happens due to several reasons: poor quality cords, overheating of the filament coil during long hours of mowing, a bump of the line on hard objects, etc.
- At the beginning, the cord is made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not withstand the mechanical and thermal loads. So it is necessary to give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you are in spite of this caught line for a trimmer unknown properties, and it often solders in his time of work, you can follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil lubricate it or silicone grease (from a spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the coils of line to each other.
- Also a line for a trimmer might break if during mowing it bumps into a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.) and breaks.д.). Once it is done, it is stretched a little and pulled back into the head at a high rate of speed. The friction causes the cord to warm and the coils to stick together. The only thing to do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer spool and rewind the line for the trimmer.
How to correctly place the knife on the trimmer for grass
To put a knife on the grass trimmer is not so difficult. The manufacturer equips its tools with a special pin that allows you to lock the gearbox and a wrench, with which the bobbin with the fishing line is unscrewed. The most important thing is to observe safety precautions and the sequence of disassembly when changing cutting elements.
The algorithm for installing the blade on the grass trimmer is as follows:
- Remove the protective cover;
- Blocking the drive. To do this, you need to align two holes. in the hub of the shaft and in the gear cup. Once they are aligned, insert the pin in the holes;
- We unscrew clockwise from the hub bobbin with a line or a nut fixing, holding the dust cap (if the grass trimmer has not yet been used);
- Then mount the blade, so that the slits on the washer of the hub coincide with the notches in the hole of the blade;
- Install the duster;
- Tighten the fastening nut (counter-clockwise) holding the locking pin;
- Tighten it using a pipe wrench;
- Let’s return the protective cover.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely proceed to mowing weeds on the site.
How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer?
To change or rewind the cutting filament on the spool, it must be removed.
The difficulty of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- Low-mounted tool. The motor is almost on the ground. To remove the reel, you must press the buttons on the side of the grass trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the housing opens, where the spool with the fishing line is located.
- Grass trimmer with bent bar. Here you need to turn counterclockwise the special wingnut. Then the spool and the spring in it are removed.
- The tool with the straight shaft. The rod is held motionless with a screwdriver or other object. By turning it clockwise it is removed. Then take the tool apart and remove the bobbin.
- If the tool with one tendril is used, you will need about four meters of thread. This thread is passed through the hole inside the spool where it can be secured. Then one end of the fishing line is guided by the arrow. After that the end of this thread is fastened in the groove in the bobbin. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when assembling the reel. If there is no slot, hold the trimmer line with your hand and assemble the bobbin.
- If using a twin-tipped tool, first check the number of grooves that are available.If there is only one groove, the two tendrils will point to the same groove. If there are two grooves, each tendril will point to its own groove.
In the first case, the required amount of cutting thread is passed through the hole so that the result is a thread of equal length. Then it is necessary to twist the bobbin on the arrow. Then begin to assemble the tool, holding the thread with your finger.
If the reel is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, the line for the trimmer is wound as follows:
- The thread is pushed through the hole that is inside;
- Fasten the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The reel is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After that, the line for the trimmer itself begins to coil in the right direction.
It must always be remembered that the cutting thread must be protected from hard things. This will extend its service life.
If you do not adhere to this rule, you will often have to stop work, remove the spool and change the thread for a new one.
In no case can not store gasoline in a plastic container from under the water. When mixing the fuel mixture a static charge is built up, you can “catch” a spark.
That’s why gas stations do not allow you to fill up gasoline in plastic cans. only metal cans. Before filling a metal canister with gasoline, it’s better to put it on the ground to avoid static electricity from the canister.
But there are situations when simple trimmer manipulation does not help. The engine still won’t start. In this case, check the power and ignition system, following the rule “the engine does not work if there is nothing to burn or nothing to ignite”.
What kind of fishing line for what?
What kind of line is good for trimmers??
Round is suitable for mowing young grass with a low-power cordless or electric trimmer. It is smooth in texture. the cut is smooth. It is considered universal. But it creates a high level of noise and is not suitable for thick and dry grass.
Square is ideal for tall, dry grass. Together with a medium or high power trimmer will be able to take care of a garden of 10 acres or a city garden. Allows for an efficient mowing due to its sharp angles. Cuts stems smoothly, does not break up.
Triangular: great for fresh lawns and dense grass. Has similar advantages to the round one, but due to the special shape can not only mow lawns, but also to cut weeds. Cutting with this line is more efficient.
Pentagonal (star-shaped) cuts dry grass, bushes, young raspberry. Has angled, sharp edges. expensive than previous types.
Hexagonal/semiagonal: suited for removing weeds and working over large areas. Used by utilities.
Four-petal (clover-shaped) is useful for lawn and garden maintenance. Requires long service life and low noise level. Thanks to its rounded edges, the grass stalks are not crushed, which means that the cut grass will look neat and tidy. A lawn that has been mowed with a trimmer with a four-blade cord grows better. Not so popular among gardeners and landscaping professionals, and for good reason.
The ellipse (oval shape) helps to clear away brushwood, thistles and burdocks. The cord operates almost noiselessly and with low vibration level. It is mounted on professional brushcutters.
What kind of line for a trimmer in shape can be?
Straight (standard) cord is very flexible, spools up well and does not wear out for long.
Twisted line is good for dry grass, wear-resistant, low noise when cutting. But unlike straight cord, it wears out quicker and is hard to unwind from the spool.
What can be made of?
Line for trimmer made of nylon. polypropylene or polyamide. strong, lightweight, wear-resistant. Sometimes polyethylene is added to the product, reducing the cost of the cord. If you need a strong, sharp line for your trimmer and you’re not ready to change it often, don’t skimp.
reinforced trimmer fishing line has a metal core inside. aluminum, steel or graphite. It makes the filament more dense and wear-resistant. so you get better cuts. Suitable for removing overgrown bushes with powerful trimmers and brushcutters. Used mainly by utility workers for landscaping streets, parks, squares, yards, roadside area.
Do not forget safety precautions when working with a trimmer! Shrubbery is flung over a great distance and with great force. Use personal protective equipment. Mask and make sure there are no people or animals around.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced brushcutters. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- The cover should be installed until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one latch does not click into place, the reel may jump out and injure a person when starting the tool
- Do not wind the trimmer line tightly or in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to wind up the tool, than there will be more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two outlets of the line, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacement of a material, it is necessary preliminary to check up serviceability of the tool, and already after to start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, the scaffolding can unwind, and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material so as not to get injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. During grass mowing small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances, so, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following: after the new material is enough for 600 square meters of area, but taking into account the reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or blades are available for this purpose.