How to cut thick cable?
The shears allow to cut steel wire reinforced cables with XLPE insulation without jamming.
- Regular cable cutters
- Sector shears with ratchet mechanism (a.k.a. nuski or nutski)
- Hydraulic cable cutters in ERKO assortment are represented by heads for cutting cables that work with hydraulic electric pumps or with a foot-operated hydraulic pump.
In residential homes, the electric power is supplied through two electrical conductors, one of which is called a phase conductor (to which the voltage is connected) and the other is called a neutral conductor. They are the two wires to which the plug of any home electrical appliance that consumes electricity (for example, a desk lamp) is connected. To the above wires is often added a third, called “grounding”.
The very first step when working with electricity is to identify which wire has a phase, that is, identifying the live wire and the other. the neutral. Once you have found the phase conductor try not to touch it, so as not to get an electric shock.
Wiring in the switchboard
The situation of connecting the two ends of live wires often occurs when working in switchboards. If the power supply is from the common utilities, it will not be possible to disconnect the electricity. For the sake of installing a switchboard, no one will turn off the whole house or street.
The procedure to perform the work is simple. Initially, you should prepare a working tool:
The installation procedure is the same as described above. After completing the work the terminal block will have to be insulated with tape.
Rules for connecting to a live LV-ABC wire
The vast majority of work on power lines, including those installed with insulated wires, are carried out with the disconnection of voltage, creating a visible break in live circuits, and even installing a portable grounding in the workplace.
However, there are situations in which you want to connect the cable entry to the house from the pole of the power line, without removing the voltage and the necessary disconnections in a complete transformer station.
If the overhead line is made with LV-ABC wire, this task is somewhat easier. When it may be necessary to connect to a live LV-ABC:
- The line is powered by the responsible consumers. school, hospital, houses with autonomous heating systems, etc.д. Disconnecting such consumers requires long approvals or transfers of power to a backup power supply.
- when it is not desirable or economically feasible to disconnect several dozens or even hundreds of other consumers for the sake of one subscriber. Thereby you will not allow a large shortage of electricity.
- It often happens that a person decides to repair a contact on the line (on a pole or on the facade of a house) without waiting for representatives of the power grid company.
It’s a typical case of a burnt-out zero on the feeder. It happens on a day off, the electrician is in another settlement, the substation is closed. There is no voltage at home and there is a desire to get into places where it is not necessary.
It is strictly prohibited and fraught with not only fines, but also an accident.
No wooden ladders, rubber boots, garden gloves or fingers wrapped with duct tape instead of dielectric, are any help here.
First, such work should be done only by qualified electricians with the appropriate electrical safety clearance group and who have received special training.Secondly, when you have no contact on the support, it is already considered a high performance job. And this should involve at least two people with separate rules.
If on the ground the tension can just “jerk” you, but on the support the same will lead to a fall from a height, and it is at least 6 meters! Therefore, this work should be carried out only by specialists.
There is an opinion, confirmed by many years of practice of foreign companies, that the work under voltage in some cases, even safer than with power outage. There is a common saying among French electricians: “It is better to work under voltage, knowing it, than without voltage, believing there is none.”
For example, if you work in a subsistence economy, there is no guarantee that some drunken amateur gardeners with minimal knowledge of electricity, will not come to the substation and spitting on all your technical activities, arbitrarily turn on the off switch.
And a lot of people have generators, which they start up as soon as the lights go out. And the fact that the voltage will not go to the power line for the trimmer.
Working under voltage, you initially use all protective equipment and act with the utmost care and safety.
- The first thing you must remember is that any work to connect to the power line under voltage is prohibited in rainy or wet weather. Even with all the protective equipment you have, you should not perform such work in rain, thunder, fog, darkness, etc.
- Second. do not work in clothes with short or rolled up sleeves, no matter how hot it is outside. Only protective clothing with thermal protection.
- Using the connection type “nut” to connect the cable on the gable of the house is not allowed. They generally can not be used to connect to the CIP outside. Read more about it in the article “How to correctly connect the wires of CIP wires with each other and with copper cable. Only factory-made piercing clamps should be used.
- This work can be done only if the automatic machines feeding the house are turned off, that is, the input cable or the IPS are without load, idle, and all the equipment after the counter is turned off.
- All work is done strictly according to the flowcharts and with the use of protective equipment:
- Ensto’s flowcharts. download
- flow charts from Niled. download
Check the stability and integrity of the foothold to be climbed before beginning the work. Do not grasp onto reclaimed grounding lugs or hooks when climbing. Working on the pole with lean-to ladders is not recommended, and pulling wires is not allowed at all.
The length of such ladders should be no more than 5 meters, and you can attach it to the pole at an angle of 60-75 degrees.
You just can’t reach the top of the support comfortably under these conditions. And if you lose your balance, what will you grab onto while falling down??
If at the very beginning will be found any damage or defects on VLI. not reliable fixing of hook, supporting or tensioning clamp, all work should be immediately discontinued.
Here is a basic list of protective equipment that you should have with you when connecting a live input to the LV-ABC:
- dielectric gloves and canvas gloves (leather)
- cotton gloves
- voltage indicator
- tools with insulating handles
- face shield with helmet
- claws, gaffs, or montage climbers, depending on the type of supports
- fitter’s belt
And this is the tool you need to connect and perform the work on the support:
- piercing clip with an insulated breaking head
- 20 m rope (thickness 10 mm)
- 2 pcs. of separating wedges ST214
- electrician knife with insulated handle
- Insulated wrenches with breaking heads for piercing nuts on clamps
- clamp holder ST34 (for Ensto)
- shovel, to undermine the base of the support and check the reliability of its installation
- POPD wooden support rot checker
How to Insulate a Wire from an Outlet?
Open the wall, take away the broken wire, drill a hole for a box, glue the box, put the wiring in it, make connections, close the box with a lid. avmal wrote: Remember once and for all, if the connection can not be avoided, the most reliable place in the apartment wiring will be a GOOD twist.
How to Strip Wire from Insulation: A Step-by-Step Guide
It is very important to properly strip the insulation from the wire, so as not to damage the core. Sloppy stripping can create breaks and nicks, which are not noticeable, but later can create serious problems
That’s why this article is a step-by-step instruction with pictures on how to strip wire insulation using two methods: with a mounting knife and with special tools.
How to correctly strip wires of insulation with a wire stripper
The easiest way to remove the insulation from a wire is with a box cutter. It is quite inexpensive, unlike special tools.
- Straighten the cable and place it on a hard, flat surface. Carefully cut through the insulation (outer sheath) with the box cutter so as not to cut through the whole sheath
- Having reached the end of the cable cut through the sheathing, apply a little more force to the knife.
- Carefully open the outer sheath of the cable by hand
- Using the knife, carefully remove the insulation as far as you originally cut it, and then trim off the excess.
- The next step is to strip the internal wires of the cable. Carefully, with the knife at a slight angle to the surface of the wire, cut off the sheath on one side.
- Bend off the remnants of the sheath and cut them off. Repeat the same operation with the second wire.
How to strip cable of insulation with an insulation puller
The use of special tools. wire strippers is more optimal, as it significantly speeds up the work. If you work with electricity often, these tools are well worth the purchase.
- The cable should be straightened and placed on the puller handle.
- Use a utility knife to cut the insulation so that it does not cut through completely.
- At the end of the wire, cut through the insulation, applying a little more force to the knife.
- Open outer sheath and cut off excess.
- Check the integrity of the inner wires.
- In the puller, select the cell with the necessary diameter corresponding to the diameter of the inner conductor.
- Use a wire stripper to remove the insulation from the wire.
Polyethylene terminal strips
A more old-fashioned way to tap a wire is to use terminal blocks (also called polyethylene terminal blocks). Compact terminal strips are not recommended, because.к. In this case you can’t do without cutting and tearing the main cable. In addition, the terminal block has disadvantages such as poor sealing and the need to periodically tighten the clamping screw, especially if the conductor is aluminum. As a result, you do not get any important advantages in the splicing and at the same time you get some serious disadvantages.
To connect a holiday home to the electricity from the pole (transmission line supports) requires the following electrical products:
|Product Name||Required quantity for assembly|
|Bracket CA-25||2 pcs.|
|Anchor clamp RA-25×100||2 pcs.|
|Pinch clamp OR 645||2 pcs.|
|SIP-4×16 wire||Meterage depending on the distance of the house from the pole|
|Clamp slat U 731 (“walnut”)||2 pcs.|
|Electricity meter||1 pc.|
Intermediate fastening of a trunk line with a branch to a subscriber.
Standard units for connecting summerhouse to transmission line pole.
List of materials required to install the assembly:
|№||Ordering number||Name||Col.- in, pcs.|
|1||F 20. 07||Mounting tape||4 meters|
|2||C 20||Clips for mounting straps||4|
|3||ES 1500||Intermediate hanger kit||1|
|4||OP 645||Piercing clip||2|
|5||KR 1||Cable strap||2|
|6||CA 2000. 1||Bracket||1|
|7||PA 25 x 100||Anchor clip for subscriber cables||1|
In each case, the final choice of fittings depends on the type of poles used (their material and dimensions), the design and cross-section of the IPS, the length of the spans, line angles and other factors affecting the mechanical and electrical characteristics of the line.
Anchor and intermediate fixing of subscriber branch mains to building walls.
To connect a detached house to the power grid
It is possible to connect the house to the central power grid both at the construction stage and after commissioning. To connect an apartment building to the power grid, you must first obtain all the necessary permits.
Where to go?
To obtain a connection permit, you should contact the organization that provides the power supply to the “territory” in which the plot/household is located. Information on the name of such an organization can be obtained either from the local administration, or from your neighbors (if they have already been connected).
Sometimes the plot is located on the border of zones of “responsibility” of two different power suppliers. In this case, the connection is performed by the one whose facilities (poles, substation or other, where the connection is to be made) are closer to the boundary of the land plot.
The following documents shall be attached to the application to the managing company:
What must a home electrification project include?
After all the specifications are met, an external electrification project is drawn up. The project may be carried out only by an organization that has a state license to carry out such activities.
The following conditions are required to complete the project:
All project documentation must be coordinated with the local REC and, if necessary, with the local authorized authorities (village council, city council).
The specifications, which are a mandatory annex to the RPP contract, describe in detail how to make the connection.
Is it allowed to cut wires under voltage?
A live cable is a gold wire. It must be used. with any cutting tool, preferably barefoot and with a will in your
For stripping wires suitable construction knife, office knife or wire pullers with hooks, adjusting screws, etc. When working, carefully cut the winding along the core, then take it aside and cut it off. When working with a hammer, it is beaten forcefully on the cable until the insulation is separated from the metal.