How to cut a palace at home
Often this process is done with a special overlock. But if you can not use it, you can arm yourself with a simple needle. Need to make a buttonhole stitch. The edge of the piece should be trimmed so that it is flat and does not shine. In addition several spools of thread will be needed.
Synopsis! The thread must have good strength and quality. That’s why it is recommended to choose synthetic thread.
The choice of color is an important step. It can match the palette of carpeting or become a contrasting element. The needle should be sharp, thin, but large in size. Edges are sewn with a normal buttonhole stitch. Do not tuck the edges, they must remain flat.
If you want to add to the product delicacy and volume visually, then replace the threads with a thin cord. Edges will become stronger. The distance between the stitches is self-selected. They may alternate or be the same distance.
Another option for processing is to use tape. It must be synthetic, thin and match the color of the carpeting. You can use satin ribbon for extra decoration.
If the aesthetic side of the issue does not strongly concern the owners of the product, it is worth using improvised materials:
- A lighter or matches. It is required to scorch the edges. Proceed with caution. If you go overboard, the carpet will lose its attractive appearance;
- PVA glue. It must be transparent. This option is suitable for products with a large pile. That way, no glue residue is visible on the surface.
You can just cover the skirting. The method can be used if you put the product all the way up to the walls. Lay the carpet in the desired room and cut off any excess material. After installing the carpeting. The latter can be common or just for carpeting. In the first case, the product is simply tucked underneath the glue. In the second case, you must cut off a piece from the product commensurate to the dimensions of the baseboard and glue it on.
The set of necessary elements depends on the chosen method of processing. Among the necessary materials can be:
- A needle of a suitable size;
- Thread, quality and strong;
- Satin ribbon;
- Lace of a suitable shade;
- Transparent glue;
- Matches or a lighter;
- Skirting board.
Scissors may also be needed to trim the edges of the piece.
Materials and tools
It is not necessary to have a loom at home. To process the edges you will need:
To trim the edge of the carpet with an overlock, the following materials are used:
- synthetic fiber yarns: they are strong, resistant to abrasion and do not fray:
- Narrow ribbon is recommended to use in tone with the synthetic rug. You can replace it with a strip of fabric;
- decorative cord. Processing the edges of the carpet with it will look very stylish. Especially if the color matches perfectly with the basic shade of the covering.
Ways to protect against fraying
Before trimming with threads, it is recommended to trim the edges and cut the threads that stick out. If necessary, the flooring can be given the desired shape. Quilting is done with a looped or crossed stitch that is as close as possible to each other. The method is suitable for different types of carpet: from thin rugs to long–pile
Overlocking the carpet with a decorative colored cord speeds up the process: the stitches due to the greater thickness of the overlock material is made on a larger distance.
If ribbon or fabric is used, it is carefully wrapped around the edge of the product, and then sewn through.
- PVA glue or clear gel to fix decorative elements on the fabric. For use on natural fabrics and long pile designs. You just have to treat the edges with a product;
- Any open flame source. A fairly well-known method where a match, lighter, or candle is held to a cutoff of the rug for scorching. Note: Suitable for synthetic materials (in this case the fibers are sealed and will not crumble). Keep in mind the high risk of fire hazards!
Installing a carpet or carpet. a couple of minutes, but to sweep or otherwise prevent deformation of the coating takes much more time. But that’s no reason not to buy a carpet at all, or to leave the edges untrimmed. Enough to apply to our experienced professionals, who have everything you need for work: special equipment, strongest threads for overlock (or fabrics and leather) in a wide range of colors, as well as highly qualified. You will appreciate not only the money and time savings of this method, but also the great results!
Close up skirting boards
If the carpet in your room will lie against the walls, then the best way to cover its edges is to hide them under the baseboard. To do this you need to cut the carpet with a sharp knife or scissors exactly to the perimeter of the room and secure the baseboard. There are two types of skirting boards for this purpose: simple and special skirting boards for carpeting.
When using a simple skirting board, the carpet is fitted directly underneath. And when using a special skirting board from the main piece of carpet cut a narrow strip that is glued to this special skirting board, above the strip of carpet closed decorative plank.
What to cut the carpet at home: the selection of appropriate device
Before you cut the carpet at home you need to choose the best tool for the task, after first considering the available options, as well as finding out the important related nuances for quality work.
Tools for carpet cutting
There are a variety of cutting devices for cutting this material, due to what to determine the best way to cut the carpet at home should be considered in detail each of the available options.
Manual devices, by means of which you can effortlessly make a straight cut of the carpet. They come in several varieties and are suitable for certain types of these floor coverings:
- Universal cutters for carpet and linoleum. They have a trapezoidal cutting element, made in such a way that during cutting the pile does not get under it.
- Multi-purpose cutters for textile flooring. They can be used to cut carpet, PVC and foam-based materials.
- Cutters for jute-based flooring. They can also be used to cut PVC, but such a tool is not at all suitable for those with a foam base.
Most of them come on sale with a set of interchangeable blades.
Knives for carpet
Professionals who know very well how to trim a carpet say that without having a certain tool, it is extremely difficult to perform these works qualitatively. For this purpose, on the market there is a significant number of different knives, which fully cope not only with the cutting of this, but also other floor coverings, for example, linoleum and suitable for a variety of other tasks. Generally their average cost varies in the range of 7-15 dollars, although it is possible to find more expensive products.
With their help, it is convenient to perform the cutting of carpet and linoleum, as well as many other flexible materials. Unlike the usual knife, the electric scissors have the following positive qualities:
- Safe in use for materials that are intended to be laid as floor coverings.
- Compact size and ergonomic tool design.
- Easy to use and high quality cutting.
- Electric scissors are battery operated, so they can be used regardless of the availability of electricity.
Because of its multitasking capability, the tool can be used at home for a number of other purposes after repairing tasks. In addition, the electric shears have interchangeable attachments, which are easy to replace if necessary.
Often in the home cutting carpet is also made by ordinary knives with a sharply sharpened blade, and in some cases even scissors, but with the latter it is difficult to perform the cutting of dense and thick flooring. Other than these, a shoemaker and a good quality stationery tool with interchangeable cutting elements are suitable.
The easiest type of carpet cutting tool is a special knife. Two kinds can be found in the assortment of construction stores:
- A simple knife with an 18mm wide blade. It looks similar to an ordinary construction or stationery tool, but it has a special shape of the front part, a guide and a plastic handle with a protrusion. Correct, deep cuts are made because of this shape. The handle is convenient to drive the material under the fixing elements. Break-off blade, segmented. Price from 1100
- Knife with a stop for carpet, vinyl and PVC. With the help of the support leg simply make a cut in widths from 15 to 60 mm. Cost. from 750
Well, if your carpet has seen a lot in its lifetime and has become thinner than a sheet of paper, then use another tip. To make the carpet softer and more pleasant, put a rug under it. Thus, you will raise the carpet higher, and due to the softness of the carpet, your carpet will look more dense, soft and fluffy.
Washing a tufted carpet at home
There are different ways to wash long pile rugs. But in domestic conditions it is not always possible to wash them effectively. This is especially true for larger carpets. They become very heavy when wet. That’s why they are hard to wash, rinse and dry.
It is better not to wash large palats at home, it is recommended to use the services of a cleaning company. Smaller items could be attempted to be cleaned at home. Washing in the washing machine is not an option. It should be placed in a bathtub with a small amount of water, in which special detergents are added. Remember to hang the rug in a warm, ventilated area after washing so it can dry completely.
Check the texture of the rug before you wash it
Check what kind of material the rug is made of before you start cleaning it. It may be made of synthetic fiber or natural fabric. Each requires a specific cleaning solution.
Articles made of synthetic materials can usually be cleaned with generally available detergents for washing carpets. Carpets made of natural fibers require the use of mild cleaning agents:
Rugs made of natural fibers should be washed in a small amount of water, so they do not get completely soaked. A special vacuum cleaner and the use of hoovering chemicals can be used. This is especially useful if you want to clean a white, long pile rug.
Vacuuming a long pile rug
A wet vacuum not only effectively dissolves dirt, but also quickly removes it from the carpet. Gives carpet that shampooed look and feel back to its former glory and brilliance. In addition, it smells nice and looks really good. Detergents can be added to a vacuum cleaner for washing, and then absorbed with water, so the carpet is minimally damp while you clean it.
Cleaning carpets with dry shampoo is an effective way to preserve their aesthetic appearance and color. It’s also a good way to get rid of bad odors. Dry shampoo. a preparation in the form of granules. Just sprinkle it on the carpet, leave it on for a few hours, and then vacuum it up.
Remove localized stains
Often the rug doesn’t need to be completely cleaned, but only the part with the stain. It is advisable to try to remove it immediately after formation, blotting it with a paper towel or terry cloth. When the towel has absorbed the excess liquid, you can apply a paste of baking soda mixed with water or vinegar to the dirt and leave it for 5 minutes. After this time, rinse and dry the stain.
Among the proven means of folk remedies for stain removal are:
- Laundry soap. a universal tool for cleaning stains;
- vinegar solution (3 tablespoons per liter of water) helps get rid of stains;
- turpentine helps remove stubborn stains
- ammonia solution can be used to remove tea or coffee stains, but it should not be used on wool products;
- A solution of ammonia (20 grams per liter of water) works on chocolate, tea or coffee stains.
Soapy water or baking soda also have a good effect when cleaning. Soda can be sprinkled on the dirty item and left on for about 30 minutes. Afterwards the treated area should be washed.
Clean with a soft brush. Vacuum the area to be cleaned in advance. Then moisten the brush with the solution and begin to clean the stain with gentle circular motions. When finished, wipe the area with a dry cloth, which will absorb the soaked dirt. The product is then dried.
Warning! Remove stains from long pile carpets with care. It is out of the question about hard cleaning. Massive rubbing does not remove the stain, but congeals it into the fabric.
Steam cleaning is ideal for people with allergies
A steam cleaner can be used for cleaning. Do not only clean it, but also disinfect it. The high temperature kills all pathogens including bacteria, mites, mold spores and vermin. The efficiency of removing stains and other dirt using this method is low. It is used to keep the fabric fresh and free from germs. High steam pressure may not be enough to remove large amounts of dirt deeply entangled in the fabric structure.
To maintain the appearance for many years, it is better to clean carpets with a long pile in a company that provides dry cleaning services. If the contamination is small or local, you can try to do it yourself with cleaning solutions. The main thing is to do it correctly, following the advice above.
The process of cutting carpet
Before you cut the carpet it is necessary to spread it around the room so it will lie flat, and at the same time after that you can specifically decide on which side and approximately to carry out further shortening. The cutting process itself should be done as follows:
- After determining the area or areas to be trimmed, the loose material should be turned over so that the underside is on top.
- You’ll need to measure the top, middle, and bottom points of the trim line.
- To the planned marks you need to apply a construction level or an oblong flat bar to combine them into strips with a marker.
- Next, using a tool with a sharp blade and a ruler placed at the edge of the cutting line, make the cut.
- Cut off unnecessary pieces of material from the cloth should be consistent, repeating similar steps until the flooring has the desired shape.
How to trim a carpet yourself. How to properly trim the edges of the carpeting.
Even if the sides of the room are flat, and the corners. perfectly straight, it is still impossible to lay a carpet without the use of proper tools that will make this work less time consuming.
Smoothing the surface of the carpet.
To lay the cut carpet on the floor, grab the corner or edge of the carpet and press it between your feet, then, kicking with one foot, pull it in the right direction until it is completely on the floor. Do bear in mind that the wall spacing of 5 to 6 cm is necessary so that the cut surface can be removed afterwards. If at least one of the walls is flat, then one edge of the coating can be applied to it without an overlap. This will save time needed to cut the carpet.
Do not move the fitted carpet anymore and place a weight on top.
Start at the corners with the trapezoid blade of the multi-purpose knife. Use this blade to pierce the carpet in the corner and make the cut up to the edge of the carpet.
After that, a wide putty knife tightly fit the coating to the corner between the wall and the floor to form a right angle. The sharper the right angle between the floor and the wall, the tighter the cut edge against the wall.
Now you can use the knife to cut the parts of the carpet that protrude from the floor. Use the edging tool to check that the work is done correctly.
Useful TIP: The stronger you glue the double-sided carpet adhesive tape, the stronger it will hold. Press it down with a piece of covering, and the carpet itself in the place of gluing under the cudgel.