How to make a hole for a large diameter hood
The cooker hood has nowadays become an indispensable kitchen appliance, especially in modern living apartments where there are no partitions and walls separating the room from the living rooms. It helps trap grease particles, removes steam from cooking and unpleasant odors, but that’s not all. Today, the hood has also become an element of decor. some hide them in the furniture, while some emphasize their beauty by mounting them in a special box, or by selecting a model to match the style of the room and leaving them completely in view. Today we’re going to talk about these appliances in detail, and we’re going to find out how to install a recessed hood in your kitchen.
How to Install a Recessed Hood in your Kitchen
Hood types and design features
Variety of air-filtering devices for the kitchen
Before you buy the equipment, you need to determine where the stove will be located, as the hood is installed above it. The design features of the model depend on the location of the stove. According to the type of location of the kitchen area, hoods are divided into several types.
Flat. Small in size, it does not require ducting. Filters are built into it through which the polluted air flows. The disadvantage is that they need to be replaced periodically. The life of the filter is directly related to the intensity of use of the stove and hood.
The Flat Hood is an inexpensive option with integrated filters that take up little space
Dome or fireplace hoods have good aerodynamics and are virtually silent, but are more expensive
The Built-in Hood is the optimal solution for small rooms
Which type of hood to use depends on the size of your kitchen. If the kitchen is small, then the power of a flat cooker hood, will be quite enough. Built-in models are good in typical “khrushchevki” houses. It saves space because the ducting and frame itself fits neatly into the cabinet. In the kitchen, where space allows, there is a freestanding island, there will fit perfectly a fireplace or dome hood.
Extractor diagram with a retractable unit with detailed dimensions
In order to properly install a recessed hood, make a measurement of the stove, available cabinets, which will be built into the equipment. If you do not pay attention to it, it may be that the size of the device will exceed the size of the cabinet.
Height options for a recessed hood
Then it will need to be further manipulated. to change the walls of adjacent cabinets or make a new box, the size of the hood. If you choose the right model for the kitchen, fit inside, you can install it yourself, without the help of specialists.
The most common option is the 60 cm recessed hood
The body of most recessed hoods, has a rectangular shape, which greatly facilitates installation. The width of the devices is different. There are compact versions, from 45 to 50 cm, which fit into standard kitchen sets.
Another important thing to consider: the distance from the stove to the hood. It should be such that parts of the appliance are at a safe distance from the heat of the stove. It is not advisable to place it high away from the hob, this will significantly reduce performance. Steam with the odor of cooked food is poorly drawn in the appliance, the desired efficiency will not.
You will always find the recommended centimeters in the appliance manual; the average figures for all appliances are as follows
Distance from the gas and electric hob to the hood
The size of the plate also matters. The width of the appliance should ideally be the same or one to two centimetres wider than the stove hob. This will ensure maximum efficiency of the installation, but if it is smaller than the hob, some of the air will not be captured, and this will reduce productivity.
Recommended distances from the stove hob to the various types of hoods
All appliances for cleaning the kitchen atmosphere are equipped with filters. Disposable and reusable filters are used, which act as a barrier to fine grease and slag particles.
The disposable filter elements look like frames filled with synthetic resin, fleece or activated carbon granulate. Over time, the contents of the cassettes fill abundantly with vapor waste from the cooking table. Then they are replaced with new elements.
Reusable filters are made of metal nets. They are made of steel and aluminum. Inside the frame is a peat-coated foil. They are cleaned periodically with warm water and shampoo. Generally speaking, the life expectancy of these filter products is equivalent to the life expectancy of the hood itself.
Reusable filters consist of two or three frames held together by clips that are easy to remove and quick to clean.
Important. Take the filter type into account when you buy a hood. The reusable elements do not incur any extra costs. Disposable filters require regular replacement and increase maintenance costs.
How to build a hood in the cabinet by yourself
In order to install or reinstall the hood, you will need:
- a tool for marking. a pencil or a marker;
- tape measure or carpenter’s angle;
- wood drill bit with a diameter of 10 mm;
- Electric jigsaw or saw, which is designed specifically for wood with reaming teeth inside the blade;
- If there will be a circular hole for the duct, it is worth preparing a jigsaw, which is specially designed for curved cuts. It is important that the device has a straight tooth and a small width of the blade;
- A special screwdriver for working with screws;
- 4 single angles of plastic material;
- 3.5×16 wood screws that are specifically designed for particleboard. It is worth using elements of white color;
- Any type of waterproofing glue.
The above set of tools is a must for the installation of the hood in the cabinet.
Below we will consider the scheme of installation of the hood in the cabinet with hinged doors. It is worth paying attention to the fact that the installation may require the transfer of hinges. This process can be done by yourself, you will need an ordinary screwdriver. If you don’t know how to do it, you can view detailed instructions online.
How to cut a hood into a kitchen cabinet
The dimensions of the space from the worktop to the hood
Let’s find out how to integrate the hood into the cabinet with your own hands. Insertion is divided into stages:
- Remove the middle shelf, cut a geometrically correct shape, where the appliance will be mounted;
- After dismantling, unscrew the holes with a special tool, for electrical connection;
- Fix all the elements in the cabinet: the hood and doors;
- If a large cabinet has a side, it is enough to use a jigsaw with a large tooth or with a fine tooth;
- after drilling the hole in the lower shelf, finish with sandpaper, grinding wheel with the abrasive value of 1.5-2.5 mm.
Fixing the hood is performed as follows:
- Choose a place where the hood will be attached;
- if a flange connection is required (circular, triangular, rectangular, oval), select an angle of 90 degrees diagonally;
- The corners are screwed consecutively, all 4 pieces, using a bit with a diameter of 0.1-0.4 mm;
- The wood screws are screwed according to the thickness of the rear wall of the cabinet in which the hood will be mounted;
- To mask the screws, it is recommended to use paint coatings made on a water-based, white color.
How to cut holes for ducting
It is worth using a cabinet with a modified upper and lower shelf. It is important to be able to cut through the holes for the air ducts.
- Use a marker to mark a rectangle or a circle. The shape of the hole depends on the type of duct you are using;
- If a rectangular hole is required, holes must be drilled in each of the corners;
- If the round air duct will be used, it is enough to make one hole with a diameter of 10 mm. A saw can then be slid into it safely;
- Then using a special jigsaw, the holes for the air duct are sawed out;
- Afterwards, the face of the chipboard in the place where the sawing is done must be treated with a special polymer-based glue. It will provide protection against the penetration of moisture;
- Then the fastening area of the recessed hood is marked out. To do this, the shelf with a hole is removed, attached to the product and pricks are made with an awl;
- When everything is done, the product is completely installed in the cabinet.
Installation of all elements
It is important to perform everything accurately, so during the installation of the hood with a duct, it is worth considering the following important recommendations:
- First all 4 corners are screwed to the shelf;
- remove the cabinet, put it on the floor flat with the back wall and install the shelf in its place;
- with an awl are made tapping the placement of self-tapping screws on the side wall;
- corners are fixed with a zero offset of the shelf;
- Finally a cooker hood must be installed. It is fixed with self-tapping screws.
Installing the hood in the cabinet ikea. How to build a hood into an Ikea cabinet
The cooking process requires air recirculation in the kitchen. You can achieve this by properly installing the hood. How to do this, we will tell you in this article. After reading this, you can easily install the hood with your own hands no worse than a competent craftsman.
The course of work on the installation of the kitchen hood
In general, the entire installation process can be divided into several main steps, these are:
At what height to hang?
The first step in installing the hood is to determine the height at which it will be mounted. After all, if you fix it too high, the efficiency of the device will be significantly reduced, and the products of combustion will accumulate in the room. If the equipment is too low, it will interfere with the cooking process, and because of the accumulation over time on the filter of grease, can cause a fire.
So regardless of the type of device, the optimal height of installation of such kitchen equipment is a distance equal to at least 65 centimeters.
Attaching the cooker hood to the ventilation system
Before you begin the installation process of this equipment, you must determine how exactly the products of combustion will be drained into the ventilation duct.
As a rule, due to the architectural features of modern rooms, it is almost impossible to install the equipment in the immediate vicinity of the ventilation shaft. Therefore, for air extraction devices are used, which are corrugated hoses.
However, when installing such a system, it should be remembered that the ventilation hole must not completely overlap.
For this purpose, special grids are used, which have a hole for the hose, as well as a valve that prevents the outflow of combustion products when the hood is running.
Types of ducts
Depending on the material from which the ducts are made, they are divided into plastic and corrugated. The latter are made of thin sheet aluminum, and their installation requires a fitting and clamp. You should also remember that
When installing corrugated ducting, it should be carefully stretched, because if even small creases remain, the noise generated by the device during operation will significantly increase.
Plastic ones are installed using L-shaped adapters that allow to connect the element to the equipment and the ventilation shaft. These parts differ from the corrugated parts with low noise level, as well as the absence of dirt in them during operation of the hood.
Plastic ducts with L-adapters make less noise and dirt
Installation details and peculiarities
When installing the hood, special attention should be paid to the fact that the diameter of the duct, whether corrugated or plastic, was larger than the hole through which the air discharged by the electrical equipment. Otherwise, the load indicator on the power unit of the device increases significantly, which entails an increase in noise levels and reduces the efficiency of the equipment.
The diameter of the duct should be larger than the ventilation hole in the kitchen
Electrical wiring: outlets and switches
In the figure below you can see a diagram of the location of outlets and switches in the kitchen:
Types of hoods
Depending on how they are mounted, kitchen hoods are divided into:
- suspended ducts mounted above the stove;
- built-in, mounted inside a kitchen cabinet;
- wall-mounted, fixed to the wall;
- corner ones, placed in the corner.
In addition to the method of attachment, this kitchen accessory differs from each other in the mode of ventilation. Thus, there are the following types of hoods:
- diverting, directing contaminated air into the ventilation shaft;
- Circulation hoods that draw the air through a charcoal filter and return it back into the room.
Calculation of power
The main indicator, which should be focused on when buying a kitchen hood, is its capacity, measured in cubic meters.
The calculation is carried out according to the following formula:
- Where S is the area of the kitchen;
- H is the height of the ceiling;
- 12. the number of times in which the air in the kitchen room must be completely renewed in 1 hour;
- 1.3. error that takes into account the length and bends of the ducts.
Fitting a builtin hood into a cupboard
Built-in hood almost completely hidden in the cabinet made for it. It is mounted exactly as described above. on screws, only they are screwed into the wall. Only beforehand in the above shelves it is necessary to make holes for the air duct. This is done after the hood is purchased, as the location of air outlet depends on the company and model.
If the cabinet is hanging, it is better to remove it. In the removed cabinet, install the hood in place, mark the location of the air outlet on the bottom shelf, cut it out. For this, it is easier to use an electric jigsaw and a fine-toothed saw. A laminate saw leaves almost no chips. If you want to seal the place of the cut can be plastic C-shaped furniture profile. They are rigid and flexible. Flexible to use simply. it bends at any angle, rigid before installation will have to heat a construction hair dryer. These profiles “sit” on the glue, most often using “liquid nails”. After installation in place, remove any residual adhesive (with a damp clean cloth), fix with painter’s tape to the shelf. Cut off excessive profile with a fine toothed saw, clean the cut with fine-grained sandpaper.
The process of preparing the cabinet for the installation of the hood
In the same way we make holes in other shelves. They, by the way, can already be not round, but rectangular. depends on the cross section of the duct you have chosen.
After that, all the shelves are installed in place, the cabinet is hinged and secured. To it with screws through the holes in the cabinet, fasten the built-in hood. Next. the process of connecting the air duct.
How to make a drawer under the hood in the kitchen with his hands
If you do not have a hinged cabinet in the kitchen for the exhaust unit, it is easy to make it yourself at home.
- We make a drawing of the details of the cabinet and the scheme of its assembly.
- Preparing the starting material. a sheet of laminated chipboard or fiberboard. For a small cabinet you will need no more than 2 m2 of material.
- You can not do the bottom, and instead install a frame of metal corners. Drill holes in them according to the location of the mounting holes in the base of the hood.
- Cut openings in the shelves for the air duct (see. of the previous chapter).
- Using a screwdriver and hardware, assemble the box body
- Installing the hood in the finished cabinet. Fastening the unit to the metal frame with screws. You can also cut the hood into the bottom of the drawer. previous chapter).
- The cupboard door is best secured with gaslifts. Vertically rising plane, will not interfere with adjacent hinged cabinets. Don’t forget to read how to install a gaslift in a kitchen cabinet.
- Furniture box with hood equipment hang on the wall above the cooktop. If the wall is made of drywall, see the article on hanging cabinets on drywall.
Tip. Use the services of a specialized workshop or the department of a building supermarket for wood chipboard or wood fiberboard to make the cabinet. Masters will find for you parts of the right size from the stock scraps. Order there the facing of the elements of the drawer body.
Block: 8/10 | Number of characters: 1481
Number of blocks: 17 | Total number of characters: 24925Number of used donors: 7Information on each donor: