How to make the right angle on the ceiling plinth?
Ceiling skirting boards, or fillets, are used to make the transition from wall to ceiling more beautiful, as well as to hide the unevenness in these places, or not the most successful joints ceiling and wallpaper.
In the usefulness of this decorative design element, there is no doubt, but there is one point that gives a lot of trouble to all who take it on their own to fix the ceiling plinth. the corners. That’s the point, almost no one gets it right the first time.
To facilitate this task, you need to learn how to properly cut the corner on the ceiling plinth, reading these instructions, and then everything will go easily and will not require much effort.
Cutting skirting boards for ceiling decoration
Another type of ceiling plinths. from extruded polystyrene foam. They are much denser than conventional foam products (so they do not crumble), cost a little more expensive, but it is somewhat more difficult to cut them. To work, you can use the same knife or hacksaw for metal.
The most expensive skirting boards are made of polyurethane. They are elastic, strong and moisture-resistant products, which are very easy to cut with a construction knife. True, they can not be used in all rooms, as polyurethane is sensitive to high temperatures. it deforms, begins to crack or split.
Only a fine-toothed hacksaw is good for work on wood baseboards, the metal tool can also be used.
However, many novice craftsmen are not so much interested in how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners correctly. This process requires the performer to calculate carefully and accurately. In some cases, if the interior of the room allows, you can not think about how to cut the corner on the ceiling plinth, and use ready-made corner elements. You can buy them in construction stores. In this case, the baseboard is simply cut straight and inserted into the corner piece. All irregularities and imperfections will be hidden.
How to cut the outer corner of the ceiling plinth with a jigsaw. The main secret of cutting
The inside corner of the ceiling plinth. that’s the key to everything. Professionals know that the ceiling plinth is cut on the outer edges and on the front side (aka inside). To cut ceiling blanks more conveniently, a wire cutter is used. It is extremely important to choose a good saw that will cut corners quickly and accurately. You can take an ordinary hacksaw for metal.
Quality ceiling plinth trimming is impossible without the right choice of materials. If the walls in the apartment are not even enough, for docking on the corners, the material of a smaller size is suitable. Due to the fact that it is quite flexible, corners on ceiling plinths are more accurate. How to cut a large size ceiling plinth? The task is simplified when the walls are perfectly flat.
The next point. how to cut the skirting board depending on its location. The rule is very simple: the left side is always applied to the left side of the chair, and the right side is always applied to the right side. If you mix up the order of how to cut the ceiling plinth, then the joint will become a real problem.
Foam is the easiest to work with. Let’s consider how to cut the ceiling skirting board according to all the rules:
- After measuring the corners of the walls, start the work. If they are perfectly even and are ninety degrees, you are lucky. you only need to cut a corner of 45 degrees. The principle of working with the 2nd piece is exactly the same;
- And how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth on curved joints? The radius of the corner between the ceiling covering and the walls is divided by 2;
- Once again, focus on how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. The baguette for gluing on the left side has a characteristic cut on the right, but the right-hand corner bar is cut on the left;
- An important question: how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth inside and outside? The lower edge always protrudes over the upper edge, the opposite is true for the outer corner. Supple polystyrene foam and soft texture do the job. fitting such accessories is much easier. You only have to bother with wooden or plastic parts;
- When the inside and outside corner of the ceiling plinth is ready, strips are tried on the ceiling. They will need to be trimmed according to the direction of adjacency to the surface;
- If the rough docking was successful, the fillet is glued or screwed to the wall and ceiling. Seams are reliably sealed.
If you do not know how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, read the basic techniques and choose the best algorithm.
Using a power drill
The tool allows you to cut the corners of the molding, located on the outer or inner side. The swivel mechanism will help form pieces with a 90 or 45 degree bend.
Outer trim strips
To figure out how to quickly cut and make a nice outer corner located on the ceiling plinth, you will need:
- Measure the length of the trim from the wall surface to the point where the corner is located.
- Make a pencil mark on the wrong side of the piece.
- Place the outside corner in the bottom of the jigsaw and make the cut with a 45-degree angle.
- Perform the cutting of the adjacent slat according to the same scheme.
- Try on details and trim the ends with a knife for perfect joints.
How To Cut & Install Crown Moulding
To Note! The outer piece should protrude slightly outward.
How to accurately cut yourself an inside corner, which is on the ceiling plinth? After making the markings, work according to the following algorithm:
- Insert the baseboard into the bottom of the gouge to repeat the position of the baseboard on the surface.
- Press baseboard against the far wall of the gouge.
- Holding the product, clamp it with your free hand.
- Set the hacksaw at a 45° angle in the notch and make the cut.
- Cut in a similar way the adjacent element.
For your information! Inner corner made of PVC or polystyrene foam can be cut with a utility knife or a metal hacksaw.
If there is no tool, and you do not know how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, make a jig with your own hands:
- You will need 3 planks. They are attached in the form of a U-shaped box, on the walls of which the desired markings are applied. On it saw cuts for a hacksaw or knife;
- lightweight version will help to perform the work accurately and without unnecessary effort. Two thin slats are connected with nails in the form of a corner. On the sheet are drawn out the sections in the right proportions. The template is put on the corner, the baseboard is cut according to the markings;
- Use of improvised objects. Take anything that has corners. chairs, boxes, tables, against the wall closely.
Tip! Measurements for the workpieces for the inner part should be taken from the extreme point. When marking the outer part, take into account its overhang into the room, equal to its width.
Is it possible to make a cut without a chisel?
Perfectly even joints in 90 degrees practically no. If there is a slight error, you may not use a jig. For cutting you need to take:
- A hard plain pencil;
- A small counter batten;
- A sharp stationery knife for plastic baguettes;
- Metal saw for PVC and wood.
To do the job neatly, you will need:
- Attach the product to the corner and mark along the outer edge line. Repeat the process for the second side.
- On the ceiling is viewed cross, the central point of which is the junction point of the slats.
- Place a piece of molding in the corner, place its end part against the wall and transfer the marking.
- Use a ruler to connect the edge of the piece and the marking.
- Carefully cut the fillet, trying to follow the marked lines.
- The inner part can be smaller, but how exactly it will stand up depends on the adjustment by trying on the ceiling.
- The adjacent mating strip is cut in a similar pattern.
Tip! The process of cutting is the same for the outer and inner baguettes.
Using the template
If you have a good eye and have the skills to work, you can make a special template. Step by step, the instructions for making an imitation of the wort looks like this:
- On a thin board or thick plywood, draw a horizontal rectangle.
- Measure the slope of 45 degrees to the left and right.
- Connect the opposite sides by drawing a trimmer line.
The lamellas are not inserted into the layout, but overlap it. The tool works on a prepared marking.
Not to think about how to properly cut the corner on the ceiling plinth, use plastic ready-made fragments. They need to be placed in the corner, and next to glue the planks close together. Parts are trimmed just a couple of millimeters with a stationery knife.
Important! The factory corner of the ceiling plinth is only suitable for polystyrene or polyurethane trim.
Materials for the production of skirting boards
For the manufacture of ceiling skirting boards, 4 types of material are used:
PVC fillets act as a finishing profile for walls of plastic panels. Their installation is as simple as installing PVC boards, and the corner joints are closed by covers. But for skirting boards made of wood and polystyrene foam, you need to cut the corners with care to ensure neat joints without gaps. Skirting boards made of polystyrene foam and polystyrene foam are easy to work with. It can even be cut with a box cutter. The extruded material is somewhat denser than foamed material, making it more resistant to possible damage, and it is a little harder to cut, but otherwise the two types of foam are almost the same. Traditional wood baseboards will have to be sawed with a hacksaw. The least amenable to processing strips, which are made of hardwood.
The second method. without additional tools
For the inside corner, you can use the easiest way to perfect the joint. by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a nice and even corner.
The end result is an even angle of 45 ° if you run a trimmer line from the intersection point to the edge of the detail. Note that the above method of marking works only with perfectly straight corners.
How to cut the corner on the ceiling plinth. make do with the available minimum
There is a very simple, simple elementary method, which will help to join the corners of the ceiling plinth without using any tools. Just below is a picture of a “snowflake”. It should be transferred to a solid, stable surface. Depending on what kind of corner you want, you put the skirting board to the lines and cut right along them.
This option is suitable for even corners. But you can also use it for uneven ones, only the baguettes will have to be adjusted several times: try it on. slightly trimmed, and so on until the edges come together. Never rush to glue the panels without a preliminary “trying on”, otherwise you will either have to remove them completely, or take a very long time to bother with adjustment.
To easily cope with this stage, which does not involve any difficulties, you should consider a few basic rules:
- Fixing the ceiling plinth begins with the corners, to immediately perform the most time-consuming work.
- Elements should be docked so that there are no gaps. And the excess glue is immediately removed.
- When finished, glue the remaining elements.
- If you have chosen a skirting board made of plastic, then to glue it use a finishing putty.
Gluing the skirting board with liquid nails
Apply a primer or water solution to the fastener areas. After the putty dries, you can move on to caulking joints or gaps. For these purposes, common compositions that are similar to sealant will be suitable.
When choosing compositions for caulking, pay attention to the types that are made on the basis of acrylic.