Lesson 04. How to cut drywall at home
In this article, we will learn how to cut drywall at home. In the previous lesson, we fully made a framework to which you can already mount drywall. But the sheets of drywall themselves need to be pre-cut to size. How to do it, now we’re going to figure out.
The answer to the question, what to cut drywall at home is very simple. To do this we need an ordinary sharp painter’s knife.
It is extremely undesirable to use an electric jigsaw for cutting gypsum boards.
Cutting drywall with an electric jigsaw
-Precise edges with no jagged edges or gaps
Cutting drywall with the jigsaw
With the jigsaw we cut the drywall along the pre-defined contour. Since plaster dust will be knocked out from under the blade, make the marks with a black marker. It can also be seen under the whitewashed sediment.
Mark the sheets from the back side. However, plasterboard. only the base of structures, covered afterwards with tiles, wallpaper, plaster. That’s why the side of the marking is not important. Let’s get to work:
- Put the gypsum board on stools or bricks, leaving a space under the cutting line free. Also, the saw trimmer line should not be subjected to stress. Its tearing forces will impair the quality of the cut. The plasterboard is supported on the base because of the flexibility of the material. Without support, the sheet can break under pressure in unexpected places.
- Set the jigsaw at the start of the cutting line or bring the drywall to the tripod of the tool, because it comes not only standalone, but also stationary. Also, some jigsaws have a laser sight. It helps to “walk” exactly on the marking. In the case of working in semi-darkness, the lighting can be helpful. It is not available on all jigsaws.
- It remains to switch on the jigsaw and guide smoothly along the marking.
- The most basic models cost 1100-t. Finally, the edges are finished with sandpaper or a planer, file.
To understand how to cut drywall with a jigsaw is worthwhile. The simplest models cost from 1100-ta. If the expenses are unjustified or there is no already bought jigsaw at hand, shape cuts do.
How to cut round and rectangular holes
Very often it is necessary to make holes in the sheet for pipes, sockets or switches.
To do this, you need to mark their locations on the sheet, using a tape measure.
- Precisely measure the distance of the hole edges from both sides of the sheet, and from the top and bottom of the sheet. Draw the contours of the cutout.
- Next, a drill with a thick drill bit is needed to make 4 holes on the sides of the marked rectangle. the jigsaw should pass through them. They should be inside the rectangle as close to the cut lines as possible.
- Insert the saw into each of the holes in turn and cut through the opening. Work with the utmost care, strictly along the outlined lines.
- Having received aperture, check how well the box of the switch or a socket passes in it.
- If necessary, finish the edges with a rasp.
- Use a small drill bit or hacksaw for this purpose.
- Mark the center of the future hole on the sheet.
- Attach the crown of the desired size in the drill chuck.
- Place the drill bit in the center of the hole and drill while gently pressing the drill (if pressed hard, it can get stuck in the plaster). It is best to use a medium speed tool for this.
If you do not have a drill and attachments, you can also make a round hole with a knife, but it is not so convenient.
Make the hole with the knife like this:
- Draw the contours of the future hole on both sides of the sheet (and do not make a mistake when doing so).
- Then use the knife to cut through the layer of cardboard on both sides.
- After that, you need to lightly tap on the plaster with a hammer, knocking it out.
- Check how well the box or pipe fits into the resulting hole.
Any curved shapes with smooth lines are cut out according to the markings with an electric jigsaw. If you don’t have one you can use a metal hacksaw, but this is very inconvenient.
HOW TO MAKE ROUND HOLES IN DRYWALL?
In the course of repair work round holes in plasterboard will certainly be needed. Their main purpose is to fasten the fixtures. Round holes are made in two ways:
Simple. without the use of specialized tools, is to cut a circle of the required diameter with a knife on a pre-drawn marking, followed by hammering. This method is the most accessible, but the result is not as beautiful as when using a special nozzle;
Specialized. requires the use of a drill and an attachment, which is usually used for screwing in door locks. The nozzle is put on the drill, and you can cut.
How to cut drywall. tools, methods
Gypsum plasterboard. a unique material, which on the one hand allows you to get strong structures, but on the other. is characterized by fragility, which requires careful and accurate attitude. Despite the fact that the process of cutting this popular means of finishing difficulties does not represent a special, incorrect cutting. the most common mistake, leading to overspending material. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to cut drywall correctly.
- Devices for marking on the sheet of gypsum board. a simple pencil, a tape measure, a long ruler.
- The actual cutting and sawing equipment: Knife. Cut gypsum fiberboard can be a stationery knife, as well as a specialized construction knife with a double-sided interchangeable blade (suitable for more dense materials).
- Hacksaw. It is better, if it is a tool for working with metal, rather than wood; Electric jigsaw. Ideal for sawing rounded elements. Leave the least amount of chips on the ends of drywall quality saws for metal with a fine tooth; Electric drill. Needed for making holes. For large d openings, round drill bits (which are used to cut the core of door latches) and feather drill bits will be required; A router is used to cut grooves of complex geometry, as well as round or oval-shaped holes. In principle, when using a router, the shape of the hole can be anything. You can also use a router to chamfer drywall sheets.
- Edging tools: Deburring planer; Chamfering planer.
The arsenal of experienced craftsmen may include professional equipment, but for those who work with the material for the first time, this set is enough.
To better understand how to properly cut drywall, you need to clearly understand the structure of this material.
Gypsum plasterboard is a layer-by-layer combination of two types of materials. plaster (inner content) and sheets of dense cardboard glued to it on both sides.
This type of material is subdivided into different types depending on the functions assigned:
Moisture-resistant drywall is necessary when used in rooms with an increased amount of vapor in the air. Fire-resistant drywall is used where there are fireplaces, and near places with sources of open flame.
Depending on the type of drywall, the thickness also varies, which affects the difficulty of cutting.
Ceiling plasterboard has a thickness of 9.5 millimeters, wall. 12.5 millimeters, arched. 6.5 millimeters.
Consider a few peculiarities when cutting drywall:
- It is necessary to have the sheet of drywall on a flat and stable surface, as it is very flexible.
- If the sheet of drywall has a large size, the cutting must be done gradually.
- Before you place the sheet on the work surface, make sure it is dry. A wet sheet will be unsuitable for work.
- It is recommended to cut from the side that will be against the wall. This will later hide possible deficiencies formed during cutting.
- It is necessary to protect your eyes and respiratory organs with personal protective equipment.
When cutting drywall, it is not allowed to use a circular saw because of its ability to create large amounts of harmful dust.
What method of cutting drywall will be clear after studying the existing options for this purpose.
General rules for cutting drywall
Microparticles of gypsum inside the cardboard cover are light and volatile. Mineral mist escaping from underneath the paper during cutting rushes into the air, getting into the eyes, settling in the respiratory tract. Therefore, it is advisable to wear a protective mask.
It is recommended that polyethylene sheeting be placed on the floor beneath the sheet to be cut and lightly sprayed with water from a spray gun. Moisture will help the gypsum particles from above to swell, weigh and sink to the polyethylene. When the work is done, it remains to roll it up and throw it away. Particularly thrifty ones wash the film in a bathtub, dry it and use it again.
If the plaster dust settles directly on the floor, washing the powder will be problematic. It will leave streaks. If the floor has a porous surface like frosted porcelain tile, the gypsum particles will be blocked in.
A solution of warm water with sunflower oil at the rate of half a cup of the product per 10 liters becomes a lifesaver. After the floors are wiped with the vinegar solution.
The method is not suitable for glossy surfaces. It is better to make do with a solution of manganese. It is added to warm water until it turns light pink.
How to cut drywall profile
You can cut the profile for this material using the following tools:
At home, it is not recommended to use an angle grinder, as it generates a lot of sparks. They can cause a fire. A pair of standard metal scissors is also sufficient. They can easily cut the iron, without creating unnecessary chips or debris. When the drywall will be attached, the profile will not be visible. You can therefore cut it in small pieces for convenience. It is important to mount the profile firmly to the wall. Then the construction will be strong.
The main advantages of choosing this particular material is the ease of installation. That’s why it is in high demand on the market of finishing materials. For interior finishing it is optimal and profitable. Now you know how you can cut drywall, and what tools you can use. And you can install it yourself and change your home beyond recognition. Without spending too much money on professional specialists.
Universal or assembly knife is deservedly popular, because along with the possibility of its application at any stage of repair contains a number of advantages in working with drywall:
- The comfortable, ergonomic handle design, made of lightweight metal or strong plastic and coated with multi-component rubber, makes cutting more comfortable and reduces the load on your hands.
ROMINARY INFORMATION: The frame of the profile for drywall: sheathing walls, assemble partitions and structures
- Blades made of high-carbon steel have a trapezoidal shape and do not contain sections, which increases their strength and rigidity. Replacement blades are usually included and replaced as needed. This combination of cutting part and handle allows you to cut a sheet into elements of any shape and complexity with high precision.
- All-in-one blade may include details such as a belt clip or box with extra blades in the handle. These options make this tool even more convenient to use.
Important! The blade must be sharp and its length adjusted to the thickness of the drywall sheet.