Installing a mortise lock in a wooden door yourself: photo and video
Today we will try to answer the question. how to cut the lock into a wooden door. We all automatically perceive the lock in a wooden door as an integral part of any door, and if it is a mortise lock, it is very important to know how to mortise the lock in the door itself, without damaging its decorative leaf. Do not buy too cheap locks and thus save on your own security, they fail very quickly, and since a hole is already made in the door for this type, you have to buy the same one, which ends up being more expensive.
To replace or install a door lock, you need to choose and buy it correctly. Regardless of where the replacement is made (entrance or interior), the installation recommendations remain the same. There are 3 types of door locks:
- Hinged. Is the simplest option. It is necessary to screw the bars on the leaf and on the frame, and then you can start closing and opening the house. The disadvantage of this option is considered low strength, so it is recommended to use for closing outbuildings;
- Mortise type. Comes in a variety of designs. Regardless of the species, the installation instructions are the same. This type of locking device is characterized by high reliability and well protects the house from the penetration of uninvited guests;
- Padlock may be less reliable than the mortise type, but is popular among homeowners and apartment owners. Installation is easier and faster than the mortise device.
Advice! If two locks will be installed on the front wooden door in the house or apartment, you should choose different types.
Different models of locks: the main features
There are several kinds of locks for interior doors.
First of all they differ by the location of the keyhole. The most popular are locks with the hole under the handle, and with the hole directly on it (such locks are called “noobs”).
The easiest lock to cut in by yourself
There are also systems without a lock, but with a latch that allows you to lock the door on one side only.
The easiest for self-tapping are noob locks.
Besides, the locks may differ in the way of fixing the tongue. And although the variant of fixing has no influence on the technology of mortise, let’s mention the main ones:
- Roller. functions by means of rollers and a spring;
- The latch-hinge mechanism, which locks the latch;
- Magnetic: the latch is held in place by a magnet and the spring fixes the latch.
At the present time interior doors made of wood-fiber board are very popular. They are beautiful, lightweight (puts one person), strong, durable, does not decay, does not warp, pests and parasites do not breed in them. But first, fiberboard doors are thin, and not every lock can be mortised into them, see. further. Secondly, the installation of a lock in a interior door made of fiberboard already requires increased accuracy and precision in the work.
The construction of the door made of fiberboard is shown on the picture.:
It’s basically the same as the old “Khrushchev” doors made of wood-fiber board on a board frame. But due to the high overall strength and rigidity of the base material, the frame is assembled from a fairly thin beam, which should not be weakened by cut-outs. the door will quickly fall into disrepair. The frame is reinforced with a beam for the mortise lock (the color underlined). In order to make the whole construction safer the distance from the bottom edge of the door to the longitudinal axis of the tongue of the lock is 965 mm by default. If the lock has a separate latch, then count to the center of the distance between the axis of the latch and the tongue. If there is more than one tongue, then to the middle of the distance between their common longitudinal axis and the latch axis.
Fitting the striker for the lock
The procedure of insertion of the striker under the tongue of the door lock is similar to the installation of the lock itself.
Close the door tightly and use a thin pencil to trace the tongue of the lock. My door color is similar to the color of a pencil, so I had to put a piece of masking tape on the door to see the mark.
Now mount the strip on the right side of the mark and screw it on. Make a slight offset of the bar to the side of the door rubber seal, so that the door will then close easily, without effort. It is enough to cut 1-2 mm.
In the same way as with the lock, outline the slat with a knife and remove the paper cover.
We mill the place for the metal plate, mark and drill the center hole for the tongue of the lock and finally screw the plate to the door frame.
Our work is done. For a better understanding of the lock installation process, watch the video process below.
Before you start installing the lock in the wooden door, check if you have all the tools at hand:
- wood drill bits;
- a set of steel bits and wood feathers;
- tape measure or ruler;
- A construction pencil;
- Screwdrivers flat and Phillips;
- drill or screwdriver;
Basic steps of installation
A brief algorithm for installing a lock in a wooden door (left to right on the image):
- Draw the outline of the body.
- Drill holes in the blade to the depth of the housing.
- Remove the remainder of the door leaf using the chisel.
- Measure and trace the outline from the edge and then remove the veneer or make an indentation as thick as the slat.
- Put the case flat side down, mark and drill the necessary holes.
- To install the device and check the correctness of work.
- Measure the location of the mating strip in the door frame and install it.
How to make and use the drilling template for hinges?
When installing a new door it becomes necessary to fasten the fittings. It is difficult for an inexperienced person to make a mortise and lock without damaging the leaf. A special device helps to simplify the work. Using the template for mortise the hinges makes it possible to drill in the right places.
Features of the device
If you have never used a template for mortise door hinges and locks before, you should first become familiar with the device. This part is a billet, we can say matrix, which has a cutout window, the shape coincides with the elements of hardware. The tool is also called a jig. Fix it on the frame or on the sash in the place where the mortise is to be embedded. The edges of the window set the contour of the future recess. Drilling or chiselling can be carried out with a router or a drill, without fear of damaging the wood outside the matrix.
This tool helps to cut fittings quickly, but it is not always profitable. It is expensive to buy a template for a single use. The tool is best suited for craftsmen who frequently carve hinges and locks. If you want and know how to work with wood, you can make the jig yourself. It is only necessary to find the exact drawing, cut out the parts according to it and assemble them into a single design.
Principle of use
The tool is not difficult to use. Before you begin, check the size of the tool window against the dimensions of the hinges. If everything fits, start marking. The outline of the hinges are drawn on the door frame and the leaf with a pencil. Place the template to the place of the future embedding and fix it safely with screws. The borders of the matrix window must coincide with the marked lines. Now the only thing left is to use a router or chisel to cut a groove of the desired depth. When the work is completed, remove the template and move it to the position for marking another hinge and repeat all steps.
Installation of the lock can also be carried out with the help of a jig for installing hinges, if it is of a suitable size. Secure the fixture to the end face of the sash. If the size does not match, you will have to buy or make a special tool for mortise locks. The steps are the same as for the installation of awnings. Using the template, in the face of the sash select the recess corresponding to the size of the lock. Besides the router and the chisel, a drill can also be used. One more piece is needed on the box post for the latch response strip.
Making a template
If it is decided to construct a device with their own hands, you will need a template diagram for mortise hinges, locks. The drawing can be found on the Internet or borrow a tool from a familiar builder and outline each part with a pencil on paper.
When the pattern is ready, proceed to fabrication:
- Parts are cut out of fiberboard, plywood, thick plexiglass or sanded board. The first element is cut out a rectangle with the size 380190 mm.
- Drill six holes along the smaller edges of the piece. There should be 3 on each side. Between the holes maintain an equal distance with respect to each other, as well as the center of the rectangle.
- In the middle of the rectangular blank cut a window of 13570 mm.
- The limiter is made from a piece of rail, fixing a bar to one end. The detail is fixed to the rectangular workpiece with screws.
- To change the size of the window cut two rectangular blanks 13070 mm. Two cuts are made on the larger side, and the distance between the cuts is 70 mm. The plates are applied to the smaller sides of the rectangular plate with a window.
- One overlay is cut to a larger size. 37570 mm. Two cuts are made along the longer side, and the distance between the cuts is 300 mm. The workpiece is placed on the larger side of the rectangle with a window.
- All parts are ready. Only the assembly of the template for mortise hinges and locks with screws with their own hands is left. Adjust the size of the window with the overlay plates.
Installing the hinges
Start assembling the hinges by placing the template, but prepare the tools first. Manual milling cutter, chisel, screwdrivers are needed. Incision consists of the following steps:
Securely fix the sash on the floor, placing it with the side end upwards. Mark the places where the fittings are cut in. It is enough just to outline the fastening plate of the hinge with a pencil.
- Clamp the conductor to the end of the door with screws. Adjust the size of the window in accordance with the drawn markings.
- Using a router or chisel, hold the border of the template and chamfer the hinge. The recess must match the thickness of the attachment plate for the fittings. If during the mortise more wood is accidentally removed, the hardware will not work properly. The door will be warped. You can reduce the cavity by placing a piece of stiff cardboard under the hinge mounting plate.
- When all the grooves are cut, proceed to install the fittings. Screw the hinges with self-tapping screws.
How to install the lock by means of a template?
The installation of the lock with the template is made in a similar way, only the recess at the end of the door is larger. The process consists of the following steps:
- Securely fix the door leaf on the floor with the side end upwards. Use a pencil to mark the future mortise. The lock case is applied to the face of the door and outlined.
- According to the markings set the template. Align the borders of the matrix with the lines drawn.
- The wood is selected with a router. If you have no tool, use the drill to drill out the holes and chisel out the rest of the bridges. The depth of the recesses should match the length of the lock case.
- Remove the template from the door. Place the lock to the face of the window and mark the holes for the handle and keyhole. Make holes with a feather drill. The lock is inserted into the cut-out recess, secured with self-tapping screws.
- Hinge the sash on the box. When the door is closed, mark the position of the striker. Fix a template to the trough, adjust a window according to the markings, choose an indentation with a router or chisel.
- The mortise is completed by fastening the striker with self-drilling screws and testing the lock for operability.
Homemade device for mortise fittings can be assembled according to individual dimensions, to invent your own convenient design, to improve the clamps.
Installing the lock
Before mortgaging the lock it is desirable to estimate your forces correctly. It is better to let professionals install the locking mechanisms of high reliability. Firstly, the devices are quite expensive. And secondly, the mistakes during the self-installation will minimize their high quality.
The lock is installed into a metal door by mortise method. This method helps to hide the mechanisms from external influences.
Before embedding the locking mechanism it is necessary to mark the place where it will be installed. To begin with you need to measure the height. The distance between the lock and the floor is 90-110 cm. Mark the center of the door face. You need to put a lock to it and mark with it the places where the fasteners will be installed.
Taking into account the thickness of the mechanism it is necessary to make a marking on the side of the door.
Installation of the lock
To prepare the socket for the housing of the mechanism, use a drill and drill bit. It is very important to choose the right diameter of drill for this operation. It should be the same thickness as the lock. Its body should fit tightly into the hole made with a drill.
Insert the lock into the door leaf. Mark the holes for fasteners. Drill the holes and tap the threads.
Determine the location of the exit for the handles and the keyhole on both sides of the door. Place the lock and mark it. Drill the holes, install and fasten all the parts of the lock.
Using the markings it is necessary to cut an indentation. Install the forend bar flush into the recess.
Installing the locking bar
Installing the locking bar is quite simple. The main thing is to place it exactly in relation to the locking mechanism. For this you need to close the door and mark the place for such a bar.
Attention! At every stage of insertion and assembly of the lock you must check its work. Even the slightest misalignment in marking or holemaking can disrupt the locking structure.
Interior doors and installation in St. Petersburg
If you decide to install interior doors with their own hands, it is worth noting that the easiest way, when embedding door locks and hinges. is not done with their own hands, and at the manufacturer’s base. As a rule, the manufacturer has carefully selected such fittings, is reliable and has excellent performance characteristics. Read more about choosing door locks here. Buying doors with installed hardware you may encounter some difficulties of choice The most common. do not match the color or design. For example, you want a gold lock, but the manufacturer says chrome. Or you need Italian AGB magnetic locks, with silent closing like lli, with a plastic tongue, and offer steel. As for hinges, you can do without much effort and buy surface mounted hinges without mortise. The hinge universal without cutting in looks not so aesthetically pleasing but nevertheless.
There is always a way out. just buy what you need, cut the locks / hinges with your own hands and install. Do not skimp on the hardware, as a failed mechanism can significantly hinder the further use of interior doors. The exact same lock or door hinges may no longer be produced, and the analogue will not usually “sit” in the already formed groove. We recommend mortise and install silent or magnetic locks AGB, lli (Italy). For more than 10 years, the installation dimensions of these products are the same and you can easily replace them if necessary, although they simply do not break.
So locks, universal or hidden hinges chosen, bought and brought, you need mortise your own hands. For example, for unknown fittings we at first draw the scheme of forthcoming mortise in AvtoCAD for automated installation, but it is possible to make a marking and according to manufacturer’s instructions, the more so, if the mortise of the lock and hinges will be done by your own hands. Marking. a responsible stage, you must pay increased attention to it. “Measure twice, cut once”. it works! Otherwise, the product is spoiled, the supplier will not exchange it, and it is a considerable monetary loss. The marking depends on the type of lock and its peculiarities. It is important to dance from the hole for the handle. If you don’t take it into consideration, the door handles may get at different distances from the bottom of the door leaf, and if the doors are installed in close proximity to each other will come out. oops or oops! In calculations and marking, use a square, tape measure, pencil, awl, or construction knife.
Using a drill and chisels. the old-fashioned method
The most common, what is called the “household” version.
The marking and mortise of the interior lock
We take a tape measure and measure 95 cm from the bottom of the surface along the face where the lock will be embedded (it is our standard, it is also 100 cm), then we attach the angle piece, hold the cross wire for trimmer and mark the surface of the surface for marking the door handle. The marking is made with a sharply sharpened pencil or an awl.
We take the lock and measure the distance from the faceplate to the middle of the square hole of the handle with an angle bar and mark it on the plane of the leaf on both sides. We put a lock to the face of the leaf so that the line for a trimmer under the handle was in the center of the hole square and mark the upper and lower edge of the lock. This is the size we will drill out. Then we mark the center of the blade with a square and run the axial line for the trimmer of the mortise.
After the execution of markings under the lock and the drawn centerline, on the end part of the leaf are made drilled with a feather (usually 14-16 mm, depending on the thickness of the lock), as often as possible from each other. In order not to drill out unnecessarily, a notch is made on the feather drill under the depth of the lock with iso or painter’s tape.
The trick is not to snag the feather adjacent hole, as rotating at high speed drill, can quickly jam, get stuck and spoil the door. Then we form the groove with the help of some flat chisels. First we choose the surplus wood along the leaf and then we clean the side planes so as not to splinter the leaf. Then the holes are drilled for the handle and if necessary for a cylinder (key) or a screwdriver. It is important to drill the holes from both sides of the leaf, not through! The lock is inserted into the groove formed, aligned with respect to the drilled hole for the handle, its superimposed, decorative strip is outlined with a sharpened pencil, and the final selection is made with a chisel.
That’s all, the mortise lock is made with your own hands!
Inserting the counter part of the lock
The mating part or “mating piece” is mortised in after the door frame has been installed. The marking is very simple. Close the door and mark out the bottom and top edge of the latch through the rebate gap. Drawing cross lines on the box. Then we measure the distance to the edge of the tongue on the door with a square and transfer it to the frame. This will be the limiter for the upcoming drilling and installing the mating bar.
We drill two holes with the feather and chisel out the middle part. Position the lock striker, drill holes for screws and fasten it. Try it. it works. The shank should be deepened only if its thickness is more than 1mm. This is done with a chisel, having previously made a tracing of the screwed-on mating part.
Marking and cutting in door hinges
The trick is to start marking and cutting in the hinges from the door leaf. And so we have 2000 mm door and 200 mm hinge, we measure from the top of the leaf along the edge 20 and 160 cm, we draw transverse lines, put the hinge parallel to the leaf edge below the line and with sharp-ground pencil we make edge marks.