How to properly cut tiles?
When planning a tile installation, you need to decide what to cut the ceramic tile with. The tile material comes in several variants, and each tile has its own priority cutting method. About how to cut different tiles, and what tools are available for this, you will learn next.
Block: 1/6 | characters: 299
How to cut tiles with your own hands at home
Cutting tiles with a portable electric tile cutter
This is the best and most productive way to cut. If we cut with this tool with the use of a diamond cutting wheel and water supply to the place of cutting we get a very clean and high-quality cut. Another advantage of this method is the fact that it generates no dust and does not require physical effort.
It is advisable to apply this cutting mechanism for a very large front of work. Along with a huge number of advantages, there is one disadvantage. it is the price of the electric tile cutter itself. The cost of professional models starts at 700.
Cutting tiles by a manual stationary tile cutter
This is the next tool, than to cut ceramic tiles. the most common, both among professionals and among people doing repairs with their own hands.
The cutting technology is very simple: we mark the tile, cut in the direction toward ourselves. Using light pressure, divide the tile into two parts.
It is advisable to use this tool for medium workloads and when cutting thick and durable ceramics (e.g. floor tiles). Thanks to the big diameter of the cutting wheel you get bigger groove in the glaze and the tile breaks easier.
At the moment, the of this type of tool vary greatly depending on the quality. Good quality handheld tile cutters, with a rigid frame and a supporting part cost from 40 to 300.
With a roller glass cutter
This is the most primitive and not very comfortable way. It can only be used when cutting not very hard and not very thick ceramic. Cutting floor tiles with it in general is very problematic. But nevertheless, this method has its place and can be used at laying wall tile.
Working with the glass cutter
The easiest, cheapest and lightest tool for tile cutting is the glass cutter. It can be of two types: with a small-diameter roller and with a diamond tip. There are almost no differences in the work between them, but the first tool is more convenient to use. In addition, cutting tiles with the glass cutter is no different than cutting glass.
Consider the step-by-step instructions for working with this tool:
- Firstly, before you cut the tile with a glass cutter, you must accurately mark the line for the trimmer cut with an erasable marker or pencil on its glossy side. It is also desirable to use corners or metal rulers. Having attached the ruler along the line, you need to spend the glass cutter only once from the far edge of the ceramic piece towards yourself. Trying to distribute the force on the tool as evenly as possible. In this way you will have a perfectly flat line for the trimmer, a recess that weakens the strength of the blade.
- Secondly, you need to position the tile on the table so that the line for the trimmer notch on the product and the edge of the table completely coincide. Next, gently holding a part of the tile on the table, you need to press the other edge: the product will break gently and accurately. The edges after all the work can be treated with sandpaper.
And what disk to cut ceramic tiles with an angle grinder?
- Almost any disc is suitable for single applications. However, if you have a large amount of tiling work, it is better to buy the most suitable one.
- The best choice would be a steel disc with a diameter of 125 mm, with a diamond coating, with a thickness of at least 2 mm.
- A disc with a smaller thickness is less stable when working in manual mode, it can create an uneven cut, break and damage the tile.
Depending on the type of cutting edge, the following types can be distinguished:
- Segmented. the diamond coating is on the cutting edge itself. Thanks to the segments and slots, it partially cools during operation and extends the cutting time to 1.5 minutes. Only suitable for dry cutting.
- Solid. has a spraying over the entire cutting edge, along the rim. It requires water cooling. periodically wetting the tile or using a sprayer. The result is a very clean cut, better than with a segmented blade.
- Combined. combines features of the above-mentioned discs. Can be used for both dry and wet cutting. Compared to the segmented ones, they are cooler and have a poorer quality of cut than the solid ones.
Different types of cuts can be made with an angle grinder:
- Straight. the usual cutting of tiles in half or in unequal parts, on rectangular parts of tiles of any kind: tile, porcelain stoneware, ceramic. To get an even cut, it is a good idea to secure the tile with clamps or, for small cuts, to use a workbench.
- Figured cut or circular holes with a diameter of 50-100 mm. Marked the outline of the cut (circle) on the front and back side, cut a line for the trimmer, approximately corresponding to the circle, even if uneven, but not beyond the circle. Then the segments inside the circle are cut according to the diameter. Using pliers, you break out the inner segments, smooth out the edges, and then grind.
- A wire cutter. cutting a tile at an angle. In this case, the usual straight cut is made, then the tile is clamped and the ceramic layer is cut at the proper angle, without violating the outer facing.
Diamond glass cutter
The easiest cutting of ceramic tiles at home is done by means of a glass cutter. If you do not have a tool with a diamond working part, a roller glass cutter will do. Cut tiles on a curved line diamond or roller will not work, it will be tedious to work with such a tool for large amounts of tiling. But for a leisurely installation on small areas the glass cutter is quite suitable. The advantage of this tool in the affordability ( 2-3). purchase of glass cutters will not shake even a modest family budget. If there is a question about what to cut ceramic tile without unnecessary costs, the glass cutter diamond is just that.
Using the glass cutter to cut tiles is easy. The process is similar to the work with tile tongs, with the difference that the tile is broken on the edge of the table (as described in the section about cutting tiles with an angle grinder).
With a steady hand, the diamond glass cutter can be replaced with a conventional concrete drill bit or a poytor with a pobedite tip.
Safety Precautions for Cutting
Safety rules when working with cutting tools are as simple as possible, their observance is obligatory, because your health and even life depend on it. When using non-electric tools, the basic set of protective equipment is gloves and goggles. Gloves will help avoid sharp edges and goggles will prevent chips and dust from getting into your eyes.
When working with electric tools, angle grinder or tile cutter, safety precautions are of particular importance:
- It is strictly forbidden to change or clean the cutting wheel if the machine or angle grinder is plugged in. The equipment must be completely de-energized.
- It is forbidden to deepen the cutting disk into porcelain stoneware by more than one third when cutting with angle grinder. When working with the tile cutter, the wheel may not be lowered more than halfway.
- Angle grinder must have a protective cover and the cut of the tile is carried out in the direction from yourself.
- Use protective clothing made of thick material and do not leave exposed body areas. When the cutting wheel is heated, spray particles can bounce off and leave burns on the body.
- It is important to use heavy-duty gloves. Practice shows that knitted gloves are not suitable and can cause injuries. Often, if you mishandle the tool, the disc or counter nut will catch the threads of the glove and can twist them.
- There should be no loose straps or clasps on clothing, and if you have long hair, you must hide it in a headdress.
Since power tools create noise and often a lot of dust, goggles, headphones, and a respirator are mandatory protective equipment.
An alternative for carrying out the work
It is not always possible to cut tiles with the tools presented, so you can use other methods at home. This includes the usual drill, on which certain nozzles are installed and with their help are made notches, holes or simple rounding of the edges. On how to make holes in ceramics, see this helpful
- Ballerina. With the nozzle, it is possible to make a hole of the desired diameter, due to the clamp, which is placed in the center of the tile, and a rotating knife.
- Crown. Such a bit is round and has diamond-coated teeth. Used for holes.
- Pipe drill bit. Visually similar to an ordinary carbide pipe, it is used for drilling holes for pipes.
After drilling, you can use pliers, which will bite off a part of the tile on the corners. The wire cutters can be used to make a semicircle and remove any sharp edges. For three original ways to cut tiles, see this
If a jigsaw will be used for cutting, the blades must be diamond-powdered. To cut floor tiles, the cutting lines must be placed on the weight. The work is carried out slowly and accurately. Jigsaw has the distinction of being chip-free.
For the final choice, it is recommended to get acquainted with each tool and evaluate their advantages with disadvantages:
|Glass cutter||Allows you to make only straight lines, horizontally, vertically and diagonally.||Great for small jobs.||Do not use for tiles that are thicker than 5 mm, it is difficult to make small lines. After trimming, the cut lines must be sanded.|
|Manual tile cutter||Makes straight and diagonal lines.||Can cut through thick material, about 15 mm, and make a cut with a strip width of 5 mm or more.||After the work is done, it is necessary to sand the edges.|
|Electric tile cutter||The tool belongs to the professional ones.||You can make any cut, of different lengths and shapes. It is possible to make holes. After work there is no need to sand the material.||Expensive to buy.|
|angle grinder||Does not require any special skills, but skill is required for shaped cuts.||It is possible to make a curved cut and can work with almost any kind of material.||A high probability of tile damage, especially if the work is carried out at high speed. A lot of dust is generated when using it.|
After checking the availability of a tool at home, you should make test cuts on the old tile and only then begin to work on the new tile. Depending on the availability of equipment, you can do the trimming of floor tiles yourself, but if there is no skill, then it is advisable to entrust the case to a master.
How to prepare the floor for laying tiles
Selection and installation of tiles in the living room on the floor
Cutting oblique lines and shaped edges
The shape of the cutout is marked out on the board beforehand. It can be a corner or even a circular to install the tiles at a wall projection or pipe outlet. After that, either an electric machine carefully and piecemeal cut out all the excess, or use pliers.
For the second option, you should carefully spend a cutting wheel on the cut line. After that, using pliers or pliers, literally chew off a piece of tile, until you get to the edge of the bounding line. You can use coarse sandpaper or an emery board to make an even face.
Even if the shape cutting is done on an electric machine, sometimes you have to finish the trimmer line with pliers.