Cutting ceramic tiles with corner grinder at home
How to correctly, cutting the tile of a corner grinder without chips and dust? Rules for cutting tiles, porcelain tiles, paving stones using angular grinder. Safety precautions when working at home.
Each master who is engaged in the cladding of walls with ceramic tiles knows that it is impossible to lay it without cutting it. This is true both when facing walls and when laying porcelain tiles on the floor. But not everyone knows that for trimming you can use an ordinary corner grinder (angular grinder). Consider how to correctly and without chips perform this operation.
The nozzles used
For cutting ceramics, you need special discs that are intended for this. Most often on the circle there is an inscription indicating the direction of turning. Quality always depends on the price. The following types of disks are distinguished:
- Stone are rarely used due to the quick ability to grind and spread dust. In the process of cutting, it is necessary to control the cutting basis. If irregularities formed on the edge, then you should replace the disk in order to avoid damage.
- Metal diamond circles. In turn, they are divided into solid and divided into compartments. The first type is better for ceramics. You can’t work with such a nozzle more than one minute. You need to take small breaks so that the tool is cooling. Segments are intended for porcelain tiles, concrete or stone. This type of nozzle has properly located slots that are designed to increase the service life.
- Special circles for wet cutting allow you to cut the tile without dust by applying water to the nozzle.
If you need to cut the brick of paving slabs, then in this situation only a diamond circle will help.
Here it is worth remembering some features:
- Use not only protective glasses, but also headphones due to an increased noise;
- The corner grinder should have great power to cope with the material;
- Avoid dust on an already lined surface.
In which direction to cut?
To work as a tool without the formation of a large amount of dust and fragments, you need to know all possible methods depending on the direction.
Three cutting methods are distinguished:
- Straight. For this, the tile must be firmly fixed on a stable surface. It is important to see which way the angular grinder moves in. The best speed speed at a diameter of 100 millimeters is 8,000 rotations per minute.
- Angle of 45 degrees. To obtain an uneven cut, at first, the tile is cut off at an angle in ninety degrees. Using a metal diamond disk, it is necessary to direct the tool towards removing unnecessary material. You can make the edges ideal by means of cleaning paper with a special basis.
- To form a large hole. Previously, on the front side of the tile base, the circuit circuit is determined by the writing instrument. Then its center is installed using perpendicularly intersecting lines. During the cut of the corner grinder, the disk rotates in such a way as to delve into the inside from the marked line. The material is cut slowly and evenly in the sectors of the circle.
It is necessary to do all the work only on the front side of the tile to prevent severe damage to the upper layer.
How to cut porcelain tiles
The principle of operation of the tool is somewhat similar to glass cutter. There is also a cutting video that moves along the guides. In addition to him there is a bed on which a part, lever and guides are laid. It is very important that the diameter of the cutting element corresponds to the height of the tile.
In addition, when choosing a device, attention is paid to:
- The bed of the device. The metal from which it is made should be thick enough so that the base in the cutting process does not vibrate or bend.
- The strength of the guide elements and support.
- The smoothness of the carriage. It is desirable that special bearings are provided with this.
- Lack of backlash when promoting a carriage. If you have it, it is impossible to perform an even slice.
The tiles differ in length, and it is better to choose a long model. This will make it possible to cut porcelain tiles of different sizes, not only along the side, but also diagonally.
Rubi tile cutter 650 mm
To cut off a fragment of porcelain tiles in a straight line with your own hands, you need to perform the following steps:
- Put a tile cut on a strong even base.
- On the product, we plan a fishing line for a cutting trimmer.
- We put the part on the bed so that the trajectory of the roller moves exactly on the wrap.
- We carry out a cut, pressing on a carriage and moving it from yourself.
- Let the handle go and break the part with strong pressure.
- Grind the cut to remove possible chips.
It is very simple to work with a mechanical tile, even a novice master will cope. True, there are some shortcomings that you need to know:
- A fragment with a width of 6 mm is so impossible to cut off in this way.
- Removing the chamfer or performing a curved incision with a mechanical tile cutter is also impossible.
- If the cut falls on the rib or surface of the material ribbed, the probability of chips is very likely.
Porcelain tiles should be laid on a table or workbench and fixed the plate with clamps with rubber tips. In the absence of a latch, the material is laid on the floor, a piece of drywall or hung from a stool, pressing with a foot. If the cut is carried out on weight, then a rag is placed from below so that the tile does not break.
With the help of a carpentry, pencil or painting tape, markings are made on the front side of the material. Porcelain stoneware will be located at an angle of no more than 20 degrees, so the master just pull the angular grinder on himself, slightly leaning on the stand on the stand.
No need to immediately try to saw off throughout the thickness, first they remove several millimeters.
In the second passage, the depth of the cut is increased. In order to avoid the appearance of chips, the angular grinder is tilted towards the part that will become pruning. Gradually make the following passages until the piece breaks on its own. The cutting line for the cutting of the cut will turn out to be flat.
Technologies for cutting porcelain tiles
Consider the technologies of cutting porcelain tumors with the most popular tools.
Manual tile cutter
For all its simplicity, manual tile cutter provides a fairly high quality of work. The tool consists of a support platform, two guides, thanks to which the cut is perfectly even, a lever with a cutting roller and clamps for faulting tiles.
Manual tile cutter is suitable for tiles with a thickness of 8 mm, 1 cm, etc. D. (up to 12 millimeters). Keep in mind that the thicker the tiles, the more the cutting video should be in diameter. Ideally, these two values should coincide.
Preparation of a tile cutter for work
Before starting work, it is necessary to make sure that the cutting video has not become dull and its size corresponds to the thickness of the selected tile. If necessary, the video is replaced.
The ease of tile cutter along the rods-controls is determined. If the cutting element passes tightly or, conversely, hangs out, it is worth checking the bearings and cleaning the guides.
Cutting porcelain tile
The technology of cutting on a manual tile cutter is quite simple
- After measuring on the tile with a pencil or marker, the appropriate marks are made;
- The tile is laid on the platform of the tile cutter, the fishing line for the trimmer of the cut with the cutting roller is combined;
- So that the tile does not shift during cutting, it is necessarily fixed with the hand;
- The video is installed on the edge of the tiles and, smoothly pressing the lever, draw it along the entire section of the cut;
The smoother you move the video, the better the finished incision will turn out.
- After the incision on the tile is made, it is mounted on the platform with fixing legs so that the fishing line for the cutting trimmer is between them;
- Part of the tiles protruding for the platform begins to crush the hand until the tile breaks.
When cutting with a manual tile cutting, the edges of the tiles are quite even, however, the appearance of small chips and irregularities is not excluded. In this case, the deformed edge must be polished.
We offer you a master class on cutting porcelain tiles.
A variety of materials can be cut a corner grinder, porcelain tile is no exception.
Preparation for work
A special “diamond disk” should be installed for cutting porcelain tiles on an angular grinder. When installing the disk, check the reliability of its fastening, and be sure to put on the protective glasses and gloves.
Working with corner grinding
The technology of cutting porcelain tiles itself differs little from cutting other materials.
The marking is applied to the tile, along which the incision will be carried out;
How to miter tile. Tile outside corner. Tile Corner
With the help of a corner grinder, you can make curly cuts and even holes
- Tiles are cut along the intended line with a corner grinder. To reduce the number of chips, try to cut the tile “into one approach”;
- Since small chips and cracks can remain with emery paper or grinding disk with sandpaper during the cutting of the corner grinder on the edges and the front side of the tiles and the front side of the tiles.
Electric tile cutter
If the two previous methods are considered within the framework of “dry” cutting, then the next technology belongs to “wet”. In other words, during the process, water is supplied to the tile cutting, which protects the cutting element from overheating. Thereby ensures an almost perfectly even and smooth incision.
There are two types of electric tiles: with a mobile and motionless disk. In the first case, the cutting module moves along the tile along special guides, in the second. The tile is served to the disk using the platform or just hands.
In addition to the platform and cutting module, most electric tiles are equipped with a container of water into which part of the cutting disk is immersed. This allows you to protect the disc from overheating, and also significantly reduces the amount of dust during operation.
Preparation for work
Before starting work, you should check the reliability of the disk fastening and the presence of water in a special container.
If the tile cutter has already been used, then the cutting disk must be cleaned, and the water should be changed, since the porcelain tiny crumb that has fallen into it prevents the cooling process.
Professional tool allows you to cut porcelain tiles almost perfectly
10 Amazing Useful Angle Grinder Disc !!!
The technology of cutting on an electric tile cutting is very simple: a pre.Planned fishing line for a cutting trimmer is combined with a cutting disk and a special lever is moved along the tile or served to disk to the disk.
Since the edges of the cut on an electric tile cut are almost perfectly even, their additional processing is not required.
The better to cut the tiles: a tile.Cutter or a corner grinder
If you are repairing bathrooms professionally, then buy a tile cutter. They are mechanical, electric, manual, machine.Like type. We recommend choosing based on the volume of work and conditions: electric tile cutting is not suitable for cutting in rooms with high humidity, the machine will be inconvenient to install in a limited space.
It makes sense to use corner grinder instead of a standard tile cutter: as a rule, for one or two rooms it is not required to cut a lot of material. It is also permissible to use the corner grinder as a side version: for example, when for some reason you do not use a tile, and the tool is needed now.
Features of the material
Raw materials consisting of clay, kaolin, quartz sand, field spar and mineral additives are pressed under high pressure and then sinter at high temperatures. The resulting material has practically no pores and has a firmness of equal hardness of corundum (7. 8 on the Moos scale). Inferior in firmness to only a few materials, such as diamond, sapphire, ruby and so on. At the same time, thin tiles (3 mm and thinner) are quite fragile.
Note! Cutting the material of such hardness will not turn out with hand glass cutters, stone canvases and electrician. They can only be used as an auxiliary tool.
Consider two methods of cutting tiles at home. The methods have restrictions that will be discussed below, as well as ways to circumvent these restrictions. Acceptable results can be achieved, but it is better to cut porcelain tiles on professional equipment. Only he will give a guaranteed result for an acceptable time with a relatively large amount of work.
Cutting a porcelain tile with a corner grinder without chips is not so difficult to get normal quality, you need to have a good disk, powerful tool and a small preliminary practice. Even experienced masters resort to a trial sawing, as this allows you to determine the quality of the disk and the density of porcelain tile.
Discuss the article on the forum