How to correctly wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well maintained only if the grass is regularly mowed. The grass trimmer is best for trimming difficult areas. Sooner or later any machine owner will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because the wrong action can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also withdraw the equipment from service. Today’s Homius review is all about the ins and outs of changing your line and how to choose the right consumable.
the grass trimmer is perfect for mowing small or difficult areas, such as around hedges, between seedbeds, and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected for any needs of owners.
How to Load Trimmer Line on to a Bosch Grass Trimmer
The grass trimmer uses a trimmer line as the cutting element. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread, tucked into the removable spool.
Thick fishing line for trimmers
It is stored in the upper part of the body of the grass trimmer.
Place to store a spare coil
Installed such a line for the trimmer in the spool is very simple. according to the internal circuit inside the spool. The center of the line with a metal fastener is inserted at the top of the spool, and the ends of the line are guided through the grooves and outward.
The fishing line for the trimmer of higher strength in the reel
Such a spool is attached to the grass trimmer the same way as a spool with ordinary fishing line.
How to tuck the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer: some simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person has many opportunities to reduce manual labor. Such innovations include the grass trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing the grass and taking care of the lawn. This attachment saves time in gardening by turning hard physical work into fun. As a cutting tool in the trimmer, a fishing line for the trimmer is used. It is highly tensioned and thus mows grass at almost any height. The power tool is easy enough to operate, but the problem arises when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone will immediately understand how to tuck the line for trimmer into the grass trimmer. Although it is not a simple operation, but a person who encounters this task for the first time, it is not always clear how to properly wind it on the spool. All the more so that the manual sometimes does not specify information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line for the trimmer.
When you figure out how to change the cutting material, further use and care for the electric trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the fishing line for the grass trimmer, it is necessary to perform several operations, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by turning the drum to the right side. You will have the head with the remains of the old thread in your hands. Open it with a screwdriver or squeeze the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. Carry out this operation should be careful, since there is a spring inside, which, uncoiling, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the remaining material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. In the middle of the spool there is a hole in which to insert the material. There is also an arrow there, indicating the direction to wind the line for the grass trimmer. It is important to take into account some points. If there are two holes in the spool, half of the grass trimmer line should be tucked in one direction and the other half in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is best to leave 15-20cm of it free.
- Assemble the drum, install the spring and washers in place. Then, holding the spool, tuck the ends of the fishing line into the holes on the sides of the head. Then put the head in place, pulling the cutting material.
As a rule, the line for the trimmer in the trimmer needs to be changed once a whole season. However, if the mowing area and grass height is large, you will have to install this consumable more often. If you need to tuck a trimmer line into a trimmer for grass TM “Makita” or another manufacturer, you can buy it in the online store “Toolparts”.
How to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer reel
Threading a line into the reel of a tool may not seem like a simple thing to do. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulty.
To learn how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the features of different types of trimmer reels, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The fishing line reel is the lower extreme part of the grass trimmer. The first thing to do, of course, is to remove the head from the tool. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft), on which the spool is attached. You need to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. This is easiest to do by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the threads of the shaft through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage, you need to remove the head bobbin, which is attached to a line for the trimmer. To do this you must take the head apart into its components. To do this, first locate the catch on the housing. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, you must press it down firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, it is necessary to turn the head cap clockwise. Then remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- There is a tight spring between the bobbin and the head. It should be temporarily set aside so it does not interfere with the winding process. Inspect the bobbin before proceeding with the line winding step. If there are any remnants of the old line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- From the pre-prepared roll of new fishing line you must measure and cut off 6 (maximum. 7) meters. The bobbin must be kept at hand.
At this point, actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
First method of winding the line
The right amount of line has been cut. Now carefully examine the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they don’t differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the bobbin is divided into two compartments. top and bottom. In the first type, the separating edge is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the bobbin belongs to.
- Prepared earlier six-meter segment should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the fold into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding the line directly. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it does not intertwine and the upper half winds to the top of the bobbin and the lower half winds to the bottom of the bobbin. At each half about fifteen centimeters from the end should be left free.
- There are small notches (or grooves) in the top edge of the bobbin to hold the consumables in place. The ends of the thread should be inserted into these notches so that they lock one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin must be put through the appropriate holes in the head of the trimmer for grass.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. All that remains now is to reassemble the head as a unit. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is advisable to pull the loose ends of the thread out more. To finish, pull the ends of the consumables one at a time so as to pull them out of the slots of the bobbin. Make sure the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by pulling the threads out, as they should exit through the head slots without obstruction.
- Pressing the bobbin down, place the cover over it. The cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is tucked into the spool. The grass trimmer is ready for further work.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared piece of six meters long, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. This gives you two lengths of line of equal length.
- At one end of each piece should be made a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix for a while so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then take a single piece. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now we can proceed to the key step. the winding. The direction in which to wind it is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It’s important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound securely around the top of the spool. It is not necessary to wind the thread up to the end. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small notches (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable material. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- Top of spool is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom part. Take the second section of thread. “Hook” is threaded into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And in this piece about fifteen centimeters from the end should also be left free. This remaining “tail” should be inserted into the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first segment is inserted.
Step by step instruction
- Note the arrows, that’s the direction we’ll be winding. In my example, they go counterclockwise. It means that I will wind the line for the trimmer on the spool counterclockwise;
- Ensure the integrity and elasticity of the spring inside the spool;
- With the slots on the reel, you can and should quickly insert the line for the trimmer. I take 1 meter and fold it in half;
- Wind the line for the trimmer on the spool in the right direction (do not forget to check on the surface of the spool). It is necessary that it fits as tightly as possible;
- Guide the ends of the fishing line through the holes on the spool. From personal experience, I will say that it is easier and better to do this before we close the top of the spring;
- Make sure that all parts of the reel are in place and that the line for the trimmer is securely attached inside the construction;
- Close the lid tightly until you hear a “click”;
- Attach the spool back onto the tool.
Done! The hardest part of the whole process. winding the line for the trimmer on the reel, as it constantly tends to slip out of your fingers.
As a final note, I want to add that you should carefully select the thickness of fishing line that you will “reel” into your grass trimmer. I suggest buying a thicker trimmer line so it will last longer and wear out less.
Nikita Khlintsov. Foresta gardening equipment specialist.
Published by DecorateMe. Updated June 23, 2021.
Choosing a fishing line
In order to easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is worth deciding what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread, tucked into the head, the more difficult the tasks it can perform. It should be noted that often a multipurpose line is used, which does not exceed a width of 2 mm. You, in turn, can decide on the size by using the following methods:
- Read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line yourself by trying to insert it into the bobbin hole;
- examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
The selection of fishing line for tucking into the grass trimmer reel can be carried out by type of engine. For example, excessively thick thread can cause an increase in rotational resistance. This increases the load on the motor, which will certainly affect the quality and service life of the motor in the future.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this you need to consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts is ideal for trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm. If you can’t get such thread, you can use 1.6 mm cord. Filament with a diameter of 2 mm is, on the other hand, used for engines with a power greater than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If the gasoline unit has a straight shaft, you should use a 2.5 or 3 mm filament. The thickest lines are used exclusively on devices with power equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, is the type of cross section of the line. When selecting it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several in-demand variants of the section:
- Twisted. has a low safety margin and is therefore only good for young grass
- serrated. with sharp edges suitable for overgrown weeds;
- round. the most common cross-section. Such lines are good for fresh grass, but not good for shrubs and dead wood;
- rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-sections. because of their low strength, they are used for working on lawns.
The strongest and most versatile cord is the two-piece trimmer line with a circular cross-section, with a core inside. This is the kind of cord that is suitable for most jobs. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as a cord is dangerous to others.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
If you still do not know how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool of the lawnmower, it will be useful to read a few recommendations from experts. This is necessary in order to avoid injury to the user or breakage of the grass trimmer mechanism.
- When installing the cover, pay attention to the clicking sound of the locks. Depending on their number depends on the number of clicks you need to hear to make sure the reel is correctly installed. Otherwise, it could pop out and injure a person.
- Do not tighten the trimmer line too much during the winding process.
- Use only the length of material that is necessary for optimum tool performance (specified in the lawnmower operating instructions).
- After replacing the cord, first make sure that the equipment is working properly, and then proceed to direct work on the lawn. If you neglect to check, during the work there is a chance that the line for the trimmer will unwind and cause damage to the operator.
- Buy high quality line for trimmer to ensure the strength, reliability of the material, on which the safety of the user directly depends.
- During operation, not only grass, but also small stones and other objects fall under the rotating line for trimmer, which can fly off in an arbitrary direction. For safe work with a lawn mower, it is imperative that you use protective clothing.
Figuring out how to properly tuck the trimmer line into the lawnmower, a new cutting element will ensure uninterrupted operation of the grass trimmer on an area of about 600 sq.m if additional reinforcement is provided on the cord. Nylon without reinforcement lasts a little less.
How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel?
The third method is suitable for charging single section mower reels.
All steps should be performed in the following order:
- First of all, you will need to disassemble the mowing head, after which you need to clean it of grass, small debris and remnants of the old cord;
- Next cut off about 10 m of new line from the total and bend it in half. As a result, one hand should hold both ends of the line and its bending point;
- After this you need to find the notch in the bobbin. In the single-section mowing head, it is located at the top or bottom. Next to the notch should be an arrow that indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then start winding up the line. During assembly the line for the trimmer must not bend or hang down. Otherwise it will constantly pop off the spool;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator should remain 2 ends, 10-15 cm in length;
- These ends must be inserted through the through holes in the side walls of the top of the spool, opposite each other;
- After this you need to assemble the spool. Its spring should fit between the two metal washers.
The finished one-piece spool will need to be installed on a household grass trimmer, after which you can continue mowing vegetation on the property.