Coils (heads) for trimmers
Mowing heads with lines placed in them, along with knives and discs, are part of the list of cutting accessories for trimmers. The main function of the heads, or as they are often called reels, is to quickly and accurately mow the grass. There are different types of heads on the market today. They are all divided among themselves, mainly according to the principle of feeding and charging the fishing line. This classification makes it possible to choose the best mowing head for almost any beginner gardener.
Most amateur trimmers and brushcutters are distinguished by their simple design. They consist of an engine, a boom in which there is a flexible or rigid drive shaft, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the grass trimmer head. According to the line feeding principle, heads are divided into the following types:
- Manual. this head type is called so because the cutting line is fed manually. Each time it is necessary to lengthen a line for a trimmer, the operator must stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. This brings its own inconveniences, but it is the type of device that is considered the most popular among gardeners. Manual reels are distinguished from their counterparts by their durability and low prices;
- semi-automatic. with this type of head, you can extend the cord by pressing the headset to the ground. During this, a button is pressed, which activates the anchoring mechanism. It creates a centrifugal force that pushes the cord outward. Semi-automatic grass trimmer head has one important advantage. its operation does not require stopping work with a brushcutter, as you can extend the line for the trimmer while the engine is running. The only disadvantage. semi-automatic cutting headsets cost a little more than manual coils;
- Automatic. this type of standard equipment is easy to use. To extend the cord, the operator only needs to reduce the engine speed of the brushcutter. The automatic factory-fitted grass trimmer reel differs from its counterparts in its ease of use. Nevertheless, the of this type of heads are the highest on the market.
Each of the listed types of cutting equipment is suitable for use in different conditions. Manual heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset will make it possible to buy several manual heads at once, and replace them one by one as they break down. Automatic models, on the other hand, are quite expensive, so they are best used for maintaining clean areas.
How the trimmer head works
- Manual trimmer head. user takes out line from trimmer when needed. Controlled power consumption.
- Semi-automatic. to lengthen the line, the grass trimmer bobbin lightly strikes the ground. This is how the button is pressed, which is responsible for feeding the fishing line.
- Automatic. “tendrils” are extended on their own as soon as the need arises. This is convenient, because you don’t need to check the condition of the cutting part.
The trimmer head is threaded differently. Quick-charging spool for grass trimmer is not disassembled. to refuel, you need to put a piece of fishing line into the spool through the special holes and wind the line for trimmer on the reel. The dismountable trimmer head can be removed. It must be disassembled and spooled in by hand.
In this case, it’s important to wind the trimmer line in the specified direction. The amount of line should not exceed the recommended amount. If you do not follow these rules, the work of the grass trimmer can deteriorate.
How to tuck the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer: some simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, people have many opportunities to reduce manual labor. These innovations include grass trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing the grass and lawn care. This device reduces the time spent on gardening jobs, turning hard physical work into entertainment. The trimmer uses a trimmer line as a cutting tool. It is strongly stretched and thus mows grass of almost any height. The power tool is easy to operate, but the problem occurs when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone immediately understands how to insert a line into a grass trimmer. Although it is a simple operation, but a person who encounters this task for the first time, it is not always clear how to properly wind it on the spool. All the more, the manual sometimes does not indicate information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line for the trimmer.
Once you understand how to change the cutting material, future use and care of the electric trimmer will be much easier. To unscrew the trimmer line for grass trimmer, you should perform several operations, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right side. You will have the head with the remnants of the old thread in your hand. Open it with a screwdriver or squeeze the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. Carry out this operation should be carefully, as there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the remaining material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. In the middle of the spool there is a hole in which you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to wind the line for the grass trimmer. It’s important to consider a few things. If the spool has two holes, half of the grass trimmer line should be tucked in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. Finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Reassemble the reel, put the spring and washers back in place. Then, holding the reel, tuck the ends of the fishing line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling the cutting material.
As a rule, you need to change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer once for the whole season. However, if the mowing area and the height of the grass is large, you will have to install this consumable more often. If you need to tuck the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass TM “Makita” or other manufacturer, you can buy it in the online store “Toolparts”.
How to wind a line on a grass trimmer reel
Threading lines into the tool spool may not seem like a simple thing to do. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulty.
To find out how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of spools of different types of trimmers, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The line reel is the lower extremity of the grass trimmer. The first thing to do, of course, is to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft), on which the spool is attached. It is necessary to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is to place a kind of stop (preferably metal) between the threads of the shaft through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the locking mechanism on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cap clockwise. Then remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- Between the bobbin and the head is a tight spring. It should be put aside for a while, so it does not interfere with the winding process. Before you start winding the line, you need to inspect the bobbin. If there are any remnants of the old line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can begin to prepare a new skein.
- From the previously prepared roll of new fishing line it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin must be at hand.
At this point actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
The first way of winding the line
The necessary amount of fishing line is cut. Now it is necessary to carefully inspect the bobbin to understand what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the spool is divided into two compartments. top and bottom. In the first type, the separating edge is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but next to it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the bobbin belongs to.
- Prepared earlier six-meter segment should be bent in half. The best way is not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the bending point into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can directly start winding. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it is not intertwined and the upper half is wound into the top of the bobbin and the lower half is wound into the bottom of the bobbin. Leave about fifteen centimeters from the end of each half.
- There are small notches (or grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable material. Insert the ends of the threads into the recesses so that they face each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin need to be slipped into the appropriate holes in the head of the grass trimmer.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into one piece. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- Pull the loose ends of the thread outward more. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to pull them out of the grooves of the bobbin. Make sure the consumable is out of the retaining grooves by pulling the threads out, as they should come out freely through the head slots.
- Pressing the bobbin down, place the cover over it. The cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings align and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. screw the head back into place at the bottom of the tool.
AS is wound onto the spool TRIMMER FISHING LINE | easy way
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is threaded into the spool. The grass trimmer is now ready for use.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared length of six meters, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut. This is how you get two pieces of equal length.
- At one end of each piece you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix briefly so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then only one length is used. “Hook” is inserted into the through hole in the top of the bobbin.
- Now the key stage can be reached. the coiling. The direction in which to wind it is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. It is not necessary to wind the thread up to the tip. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- There are small notches (called grooves) in the upper edge of the spool for fixing the consumables. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted in one of these notches.
- The top part of the spool is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom part. Take a second length of thread. “Hook” is put through the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And this piece should also be left free about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to that in which the end of the first piece is inserted.
How to tuck the grass trimmer reel step-by-step
To properly wind the fishing line on the grass trimmer, the main thing is to follow the steps of replacement and safety rules.
Before disassembling the electric grass trimmer, you must disconnect it from the power grid. The trimmer head on any tool consists of a shroud, a cover, and a bobbin with fishing line. The way it is removed depends on the design of the grass trimmer:
- Small units with a spool on the bottom usually have keys on the sides of the spool. If you press them at the same time, the upper part of the spool will detach along with the thread, and the lower part will remain on the tool.
- To wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool with a bent bar, you should find a special wing on the reel. On these models, the head is disassembled by holding the bobbin and simultaneously turning the wing nut against the clock hand. Once the nut is unscrewed, you can remove the entire reel.
- If the gasoline or etheric grass trimmer has the function of installing a blade, you will need a screwdriver to disassemble it. To remove the head, you should find a hole under the bobbin, insert a screwdriver in it, and then scroll the spool clockwise and remove it from the grass trimmer.
It is important to mention that the cord is placed on the bobbin, which is inside the head. To retrieve it, you will need to disassemble the head. There is usually a special catch on the brushcutter head that opens the correct access to the brushcutter line when pressed. To remove the bobbin, press the locking latch and hold it with one hand and turn the head cover clockwise.
Some trimmers do not have a latch, so you must disassemble the body. When disassembling, it is important to remember the order in which all head components were removed, so that after replacing the fishing line you can assemble them in the same order, but in reverse order.
The brushcutter head can be different by design, so the replacement of the brushcutter line on the electric trimmer or its gasoline analogue is done with this point in mind. If the head has a separating bead, you can change the cord as follows:
- Measure the number of lines you need, double them up and then bend them in the groove. If there is no such a groove, you will need to cut the cord into two halves and hook the ends of each half to the holders that the manufacturer provides at the top and bottom of the bobbin between the board.
- Before starting to reel in the line, determine in which direction the line is to be reeled. Usually the direction can be seen by an arrow on the spool.
- Put the ends of the cord in the trough between the skirt and begin to rotate the spool so that the cord is wound in the direction of the arrow. Lay one half of the line and the other half in the same direction.
- When loading the line into the weed trimmer spool, the free edges of the line must be threaded through the holes in the bobbin after it has been wound. They are placed perpendicular to one another.
If the spool does not have a separating edge, the fishing line is cut in two halves and the ends are placed in the holes that are placed at the top of the spool. The two parts of the cord are wound around the arrow, making sure they do not cross. After winding, the free edges of the line are put on each side of the bobbin, and if there are slots in the bobbin, they are fastened.
The above instruction applies to trimmer heads with 2 antennas. There are other ways to wind the line. If you need to find out how to tuck the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer, which is equipped with a head with one tendril, note that the process is similar, but the line is not folded in half. If there are four tendrils, four pieces of thread are used, which are placed alternately in the holes of the head.
The bobbin is installed in the head, take the line out of the side blades and tighten. Next, the cord is tightly secured and the cover is closed. The last action is to place the spool on the scythe and pull the line. so that it does not come into contact with the protective cover when cutting the plants.
If you know how to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer, you can ensure its full and high-quality work. Timely replacement of the cord ensures smooth cutting and a long service life.
Fishing line selection
In order to easily wind the fishing line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is worth deciding on what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread, tucked into the head, the more difficult the task that it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often a universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You, in turn, can determine the size using the following methods:
- read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line for use yourself by trying to insert it into the hole of the spool;
- Examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
Selecting a fishing line for threading into the grass trimmer reel can be done by the type of motor. For example, excessively thick filament can cause an increase in rotational resistance. Because of this load on the engine will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and duration of its further operation.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this purpose, note that a trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal for electric motors with a power of up to 500 W. If you can not get such a thread, you can use a cord of 1.6 mm. Thread with a diameter of 2 mm, in turn, is used for motors with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that a 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If a gasoline-powered device has a straight shaft, a 2.5 or 3 mm cord should be used. The thickest lines are installed exclusively on devices whose power is equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, the type of cross-section of the line is an important factor. When selecting it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several popular cross-sections:
- Twisted. has a low safety margin, so it is only suitable for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work on overgrown areas of weeds;
- round, which is the most common cross-section. Such fishing lines work well with fresh grass, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types are used for working on lawns because of their low strength.
The strongest and most versatile cord is a two-piece trimmer line with a circular cross section with a core inside. This cord is suitable for most of the work. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as cord carries a danger to others.
What types of fishing lines are available?
A common type of fishing line that fits virtually all types of spools is the circular cross-section cord. How to change a spool of fishing line on a blade, on a chain saw how to change a blade on a. This is an ordinary line for trimmer, applicable to mowing succulent grass, but to mow dead grass with it will be much harder, and much less it can not cope with the bushes.
Usually, the cross section, which can mow young grass, does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the coarser the grass it can traverse.
There is a fishing line with sharpened facets in the form of a star or a square, such a version is more adapted to mowing dry grass just because of the sharp edges, but the disadvantage is its greater wear and tear and the strength is inferior to the round cord.
There are lines with improved aerodynamics with appropriate indentations, scales and notches, a similar product makes less noise, but use it only on benzokosa, since the output of such thread from the spool is difficult, using it in most cases with discs, which are inserted segments. How to wind the cutting cord on the spool how to change the knife on the bobbin on a brushcutter. The disadvantage of this product is its fragility.
In most gasoline trimmers with an engine more than 1.5 liters.с. Use cord with an iron rope inside. This thread is perfect for mowing dry grass and small shrubs. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
Knife or fishing line for trimmer. what to choose?
The lawn is able to decorate any country house. However, in order for it to look like a king, it should provide competent care: feeding the soil with fertilizers, regular watering and constant “mowing. If you do not mow the lawn, then after a while, a beautiful and blooming green “carpet” will turn into a thicket of ungroomed shrubs. Thanks to such a modern invention as a garden trimmer for grass, processing the site has long ceased to be dull and mundane. This tool has excellent mobility and maneuverability, and the motor installed in the device, helps to do all the work in the shortest possible time.
Gasoline, cordless or electric: which one to choose?
- Great freedom of movement. The electric cable does not obstruct the cutting of the grass during operation and there are no limitations concerning the length of the cord. The gasoline grass trimmer allows you to cut the grass even on the most remote area from the house.
- High power output. Mowers are capable of removing vine stems and shrubs and can easily handle the toughest grass.
- Large volume of work. Thanks to the gasoline trimmer, farmers within a short time, will be able to cut grass for the pets.
- Strong noise during operation;
- non-environmental device. during the operation of gasoline grass trimmer emits a large percentage of exhaust gases, contributing to environmental pollution;
- uneconomical, which is expressed in the constant refilling of the lawnmower with gasoline and oil mixture;
- heavy weight.
Electric grass trimmer is a lightweight and mobile device that does not affect the environment and does not require a significant expenditure of money for fuel. Nevertheless, for all its advantages, it also has its disadvantages, namely:
- low power, which does not allow you to remove thick branches and bushes. This parameter varies from 200 to 1500 watts. trimmer for grass, which has the lowest power range, is suitable only for cutting lawn grass, but for weeds, you will have to pick up the tool with more power. The 1000 watt device is considered a universal device, it will remove both soft grass and hard stems of weeds;
- connection to the mains. In the case where you need to cut the grass, which is at a great distance from the house, and the cable length will not be enough, you will have to use extension cords, which is not very convenient.
The trimmer is powered by a rechargeable battery built into the device. Battery charge is enough for 20-30 minutes of uninterrupted work.
- ease and convenience in operation;
- high level of maneuverability, which allows you to remove the grass even in hard-to-reach places;
- does not require fuel and is not tied to the electric network;
- features a low noise level.
- Has little power to remove tough, tall grass
- has a low performance, because after half an hour, it requires recharging.
When choosing a trimmer for grass should pay great attention to the cutting system, it can be of two kinds:
line for trimmer is wound on a bobbin inside a reel. When the motor is running, the bobbin makes rotations, and the ends of the line, which are exposed to the outside, cut the grass. Despite its apparent fragility, trimmer line easily cuts unwanted layer of grass, thick weeds, and is even capable of dealing with shrubs. However, during operation, the line for the trimmer may wear out. With automatic feeding, it will be replaced independently. If you have a semi-automatic trimmer, you will need to hit the reel to the ground and the system will release the tips of the line to the outside.
There are a number of rules of thumb to follow when working with a fishing line:
- Do not touch hard materials with the line or spool. Touching a curb, fence or stone causes the line to shorten prematurely and may damage the spool.
- Removing weeds with the tip of the line is much more efficient than with the whole line. over, this action can damage the reel.
- Grass that is too tall, exceeding 20 centimetres in length, requires more than one cut. Grass should be mowed from top to bottom, to prevent grass from getting caught on the spool.
Metal blade is installed in trimmers in cases when the engine can not cope with high loads. That’s why you’ll often find a blade in a chainsaw rather than in an electric trimmer. The knife can be two-, three- and four-blade, it easily cuts and hard weeds, and branches, and if the grass trimmer to install a special disk with teeth, the device will axe even strong young trees.
In an electric trimmer, the motor can be placed either on top of the base or on the bottom.
The motor located at the top of the grass trimmer is considered the most convenient and comfortable, it can mow wet grass. This type of device involves only working with both a fishing line and a knife.
Bottom-mounted motor also has its advantages. This type of grass trimmer can be used even by older people, it is more handy and convenient to work. Nevertheless, mowing wet grass is prohibited, as there is a possibility of getting an electric shock from the electric unit.
Comfort and convenience for fast, high-quality work
The operation of the tool should not be heavy, so before you buy a trimmer for the grass, you should decide on the shape of the handle. Handle can be D or T-shaped.
A device with a D-shaped handle allows you to mow grass in small areas that require an excessively high degree of maneuverability and pivotability.
T-shape will be able to greatly facilitate the work, as it has a resemblance to the bicycle handlebars, which allows the operator to hold it with two hands and less fatigue.
Devices with high power are characterized by a large weight, which can reach up to 5 kilograms. Less powerful grass trimmers will not be able to trim tough stems, but the light weight, will allow the device to operate even the weak female gender.
To summarize, we would like to note that there is no universal device that could be suitable for all conditions. When choosing a grass trimmer, you should take into account all the nuances: the size of the plot, the grass that grows on it, the presence of rocks and trees.
Tips and advice on how to wind a line for your trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for the experienced masters of mowing. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- Do not attempt to reattach the cover until it clicks into place. This is 2 or more clicks depending on the number of clips. If one of the latches does not snap, when you start the tool, the reel can jump out and injure a person
- Do not coil the trimmer line tightly, or in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to wind up the rig, than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two leads of fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the coil
- After changing the material it is necessary to check the operability of the tool before starting to cut the grass. If not checked beforehand, the fishing line can unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose material of appropriate quality, so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. In the process of mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in protective special outfit. The result of the work done is the following: after replacing the new material, the normal material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last for less, which is important to consider when working. Do not attempt to mow thick stemmed grass with lines, as there are special metal discs or blades of grass for this purpose.