Drilling holes in walls
When improving the apartment there is a need to mount all sorts of objects on the walls and ceiling. photos, pictures, lamps, mirrors, curtains, shelves, TV, skirting boards and much more.
In order to hang a photo or a small picture, of course, it is not necessary to drill a wall. Enough to hammer a small nail. Not every nail is good for this job. It is best to use a dowel. nails from the staples used to fasten computer network cables to walls. These nails are of sufficient length, thick and hardened. It turns out to hammer even into a concrete wall.
With today’s power tools, drilling holes in walls won’t be harder when you know how to drill properly. Saves you from unnecessary cleaning and keeps your property intact if you use a dust-free drill jig.
Choosing the concrete crown: criteria
When choosing bits for concrete, you should consider the following criteria.
- When buying core bits for drilling holes in concrete walls for switches and electrical outlets, you should specify the diameter of the mounted metal or plastic boxes, plugs. It should be equal to 68.0 millimeters.
- When buying nozzles, it is necessary to specify that they are intended for drilling concrete, because there are similar crowns that furniture workers use to drill wood and particle board (such crowns are not able to cope with hard materials).
- When selecting a tooth bit, carefully examine the fit of the teeth. The larger their fit, the longer the life of the bit.
- The nozzle is chosen according to the working diameter, depending on the size of holes in the concrete and the power of the torch. Drills with a power output of 1 kW are usually fitted with nozzles up to 25.0 cm in diameter. The use of bits with a large diameter is not recommended, as it may cause the low power motor to break down due to overloading. This must be taken into account by using commercially available adapters to fit large bits to small chucks.
- Before buying look at the shank of the bits, which may be solid (for installation into cam chucks) or with different number of open and closed slots, corresponding to different variants of SDS fastening system.
So you’ve learned about how to drill a concrete wall drill, as well as the types of nozzles used. It remains to put theoretical knowledge into practice.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Useful tips for choosing a drill
It is the drill that is most often used to cut holes in walls. Such a tool is available in almost every family. Some expert tips can help you significantly expand the scope of your regular drill. there is nothing complicated about it.
Not every drill is good for the job. The tool should be chosen competently
When choosing a drill, it is important to read its technical description carefully. The recommended power of the electric appliance is not less than 600 W, the suitable speed. not more than 2500 per minute (it is desirable that there is a function to regulate them).
- The presence of reverse is mandatory. It is this function that allows you to change the rotation of the drill. counterclockwise and clockwise. A model with a quick-change chuck is an excellent choice, because then you will not have to waste time looking for a wrench by which to change the drills in the device;
- The shock function of the device is also welcome. It is needed so that the device can easily make holes on any wall surface. Working with such a drill is easy and pleasant. The bottom line is that certain materials (concrete, cement, bricks and not only) from the dynamic effects are quickly destroyed (we are talking about strikes). That is, when a drill does not have this function, it can take a lot of time to drill a hole in the wall. The drill bit clings to the compound, it heats up quickly, but it is of little use. Impact drilling is a radical change in approach to the job, you get something in the style of chisel drilling, fast action is guaranteed.
First of all you have to determine the thickness of the wall and choose the right length so that the auger penetrates the wall.
Starting to drill the holes. Set the drill to “drilling with impact” mode and drill the holes according to the marks. It is important not to forget your own safety: in case you have to work high from the floor therefore the base or the support where you are standing must be firmly fixed.
You have to drill a lot of holes, so expect a lot of dust. All furniture and other objects that are placed in the room should be previously covered with a protective film or some other material, so they do not deteriorate from contamination and subsequently simplify the process of cleaning. Many people mistakenly apply excessive force to the torch when drilling, this should not be done, this is what the “drilling-impact” mode is for. Drill through the wall to the exit of the drill on the other side. At the end of the drilling process, we get a circle with holes.
Having finished the process of drilling, remove the auger from the chisel, it will not be needed later on. Insert a chisel into the tool and switch to the “chipping hammer” mode without the drilling function, and knock out the bars between the holes one after another. You can also knock out a brick from the center of a circle, hammering with a chisel from the center to the circle. If the chisel is short, and will not penetrate the wall, it is possible to work with the chisel from the other side. This option can only be done low to the floor, at a height would need to buy a chisel to the thickness of the wall. The result will be a hole in our wall of the planned diameter.
Drilling in concrete
The right tool for the job
Due to the peculiarities of concrete, you will need special tools to drill it :
- Peorator (impact drill). provides a rotary-retractive movement of the drill.
- Concrete drill bits for an impact drill, made of carbide. Their shank and screw part is made of tool steel, and the cutting working area is a plate of hard-alloy metal, ground at 60 degrees, which is soldered into the slot of the cutting part of the tool.
- The punching tool (necessary when drilling with an ordinary drill).
I must say that it is possible to cope with the task, and the tool without the impact function. Below we take a closer look at how to drill a concrete wall with a drill.
How to Drill into Your Wall
Carbide drills for concrete drills
The order of drilling with a percussion drill
The procedure of drilling the wall with a peorator and a special drill bit is quite simple:
- The concrete drill should be switched to drilling mode with a hammer and start the operation. The drill bit must be positioned strictly at a 90 degree angle to the wall, unless drilling is specifically done at a certain angle.
- After a while, the drill should be moistened in cold water and continue working.
- If the tool bumped into something hard and stopped deepening, you will have to try to drill the wall in another place.
- Once you have reached the right depth you have to pull out the drill without turning it off. To clean the dust out of the hole, it is necessary to bore down and pull out the drill a few more times.
Tip! Peorator can be used not only for drilling hard materials. There are special attachments that turn this tool into a mixer. They make the concrete mixer drill do an excellent job of stirring the mortar.
Drilling with a drill
Many home masters doubt whether the drill can drill concrete? Of course, this procedure will take much more time than when working with a peorator, but it is quite possible to make a hole.
To do this, you will need a special drill bit. This tool is a rod with a sharpened hard end. It is used to break the surface in the area of drilling.
The instructions for performing this work are as follows:
- First of all, to the place where the future hole will be located, it is necessary to attach the puncher and strike it several times with a hammer.
- Then, in the resulting funnel the drill bit is inserted and the hole is drilled. As when working with the torch, make sure that the tool does not overheat.
- If the drill stops penetrating, it is necessary to use the punch again. insert it into the hole and strike it several times with a hammer.
- Drilling is carried out in this way until the desired depth of the hole is reached.
Advice! It is often necessary to cut the concrete, in which case an angle grinder is used. However, it should be borne in mind that the cutting of reinforced concrete is performed by diamond circles.
As a result, although the usual drill for concrete is not suitable, for lack of a torch, with its help it is also possible to drill a reinforced concrete wall.
Tip:! The drill can be used not only to make holes, but also to use it for some other purposes. For example, on our portal you can learn how to make a vibrator for concrete with your own hands from a drill.
Finally, it is necessary to tell about another effective method of drilling, which allows you to successfully perform holes in the walls. With its help you can quickly cope with the task at hand without dusting the room. We are talking about diamond drilling. (See. also article Concrete dusting: Features.)
This technology involves the use of special equipment, which is a set of the following elements:
With this design, water is fed directly to the drill, to cool the tool. So there’s no need to interrupt the process. In addition, the water washes away the dust, so that it does not have time to get into the surrounding space.Often, such a set includes a water vacuum cleaner, which allows you to remove a mixture of water and dust from the surface.
Of course, diamond drilling holes in concrete only makes sense for industrial purposes, where you need to make a large number of holes, especially large diameters. For domestic purposes, the equipment is unlikely to be useful.
In addition, the price of the set, as well as any other professional tool, is quite high. Therefore, if it is necessary, for example, to fix a shelf on the wall, it is advisable to use a peorator. (See also “The diamond drill bit”). Also article Putty on concrete: how to make.)
How to drill a hole in a concrete wall
As is known, repair. is a set of different activities, which includes not only the step-by-step and sequential performance of multidirectional actions, leading ultimately to a single result, but also many small operations arising in the course of work, and requiring from the performer of certain knowledge, skills, experience. One such operation that has to be performed regularly is the creation of holes in the walls. It would seem that what could be more elementary? However, it’s not that simple. Walls, load-bearing and interior, are made of brick, plasterboard, aerated concrete, monolithic reinforced concrete slabs. and each case requires a different tool and special skills. On how best to act to drill holes in a concrete wall, we will tell in this article.
|Before you start drilling a concrete wall, you should make sure that there is no water pipe or electric cable nearby|
To create a hole in a concrete, brick or stone wall usually use two tools:
As a rule, almost every home handyman has a drill. It costs less than the peorator, which belongs more to the category of professional construction equipment than the standard, for domestic use. But it will not be easy to do the job you want to do with an impact drill. Even if you have a high quality impact drill, it is not able to drill holes over 12 mm, so for larger work it is recommended to buy or rent a torch. If you only need to make a few holes in the plane, then the use of a peorator is not advisable. In addition, in the case where the walls of the house consist of foam concrete, this tool will only crumble the surface; you can only use a drill here.
There are a few universal recommendations for drilling holes. Firstly, before you start all the work make sure that there are no water pipes or conductive electricity cables in the place of the wall that you want to puncture, otherwise the consequences could be unpredictable. Secondly, any tool must be held correctly: the hand must be perpendicular to the handle on the axis of drilling. Thirdly, it is important to know how to choose the material and size of the drill bit, as well as the mode of operation of the tool. The main rule is as follows: the material from which the wall is made should be less hard than the drill or pen head used.
|With the help of drills of different diameters, various repair and construction tasks are solved|
So, to repair a concrete, stone or brick wall, you need a carbide. pobedite . a drill bit that does not “cut” the material, but “crushes” it into small crumbs. Once you have equipped the tool with the right type of drill, you should mark the wall. It will show you the location of the future holes. It is better to start drilling with a light hole pattern, when the drill or gearedrunner is in hammerless mode. Then you can switch the tool to percussion mode and add revolutions, carrying out drilling to the desired depth. If plastic dowels are used, the holes must be 10-13 mm deeper than the length of the dowels, because dust from crushed material inevitably remains in the resulting recesses.
Sometimes there is an obstacle in the concrete wall in the form of small stones or bars of reinforcement. Remove the seal from the stone can be done with a puncher (a metal pin, matching the diameter with the cross-section of the hole), which is inserted inside, and from above hit with a hammer. The obstacle of steel is easily eliminated with a drill or a rotary tool, you only need to change the pobeditovogo drill bit with a special attachment designed to work with metal.
There are some nuances that make the job much easier. For example, the process of drilling concrete will be much faster if you sharpen the carbide drill bit asymmetrically. The nozzle itself for creating holes in concrete, stone or bricks will last its owner much longer, if the owner will from time to time wet it with water. This way you protect it from overheating.
|When working with a drill or a rotary table, safety glasses are recommended|
It is necessary to take into account that the process of peorating the concrete will inevitably be accompanied by the appearance of dust and small fragments, especially if we are talking about working with the ceiling. It is best to use personal protective equipment. However, if for some reason it is impossible to use them, you can help the old, time-tested method: make a funnel from a spring wire, wrap it in polyethylene and put it on the drill.
Sometimes it happens that in the process of work the drill gets stuck in the wall. In this case it is strongly not recommended to try to get it out by loosening the tool in different directions. There is a risk of breaking the tip of the nozzle. It is necessary to disconnect the drill or the torch, put a drill bit smaller, and then drill out the stuck element without touching it.
If you find while drilling holes that pieces of plaster begin to break off from the back side of the wall, you should immediately reduce the speed of drilling in order to reduce vibration. Undoubtedly, the work will take you much longer, but the destruction of the wall will stop.
How to drill without dust: options, what is better
Construction work is always accompanied by dust and debris, but using some recommendations and tips, it can be significantly reduced:
- Peorator when working leaves insignificant dust, so that it does not fly around the room at the same time use a construction vacuum cleaner. Some brands of the tool have a built-in vacuum cleaner, which facilitates the task;
- using a drill, it is best to make either a conductor on the end or a pile, or make an envelope under the hole so that debris falls into it.
What to drill holes in a brick wall: the choice of tools and nozzles
To make a hole in a brick wall is suitable peorator with a drill or impact drill, most often use the latter. Its power should not be less than 600 watts, the minimum number of revolutions from 2500 per minute. It is best to use a drill with infinitely adjustable power and quick-clamping function.
Using the percussion drilling function, the drill becomes identical to a peorator. Speed and ease of operation are increased. To make a hole in a brick wall it is necessary to use the method of impact of a dynamic nature. Without it, the drill can’t hook into the inside of the brick.
How to drill a bearing wall in a panel house with a rotary hammer drill
In most panel houses the walls are made of concrete, to make a hole with a pobeditovye drill bits should be used.
In addition to them you can use special drill bits. They have tips on the circumference. When using them, it is necessary to switch off the percussion function of the rotary drill.
Specialists use diamond drilling, this requires powerful equipment and skills.
How to drill with a percussion drill properly under a pipe in reinforced concrete
When using an impact drill for reinforced concrete, you must use the “peorator” mode and pobeditovye drills. At first, the hole is smaller, then a larger one. The drill bit must be cooled periodically.
Important! When working with concrete it is necessary not to hit the armature, otherwise the drill will break. With a special device, you can check where it is located.
How to make a hole in a concrete wall with a drill
It is difficult to drill a concrete wall with an ordinary drill. It is necessary to set up the pobedite drills and select the low RPM. In the right place the dowel is inserted to help the tool penetrate the surface. Then the drilling must be alternated with hammering on the dowel.
If the drill does not have adjustable speed, it will not be possible to make a hole.
How to make a hole in a concrete wall in an apartment with a drill
For a small hole, you can use a punch. Make, most conveniently, from a drill, diameter 8 mm. Sharpen the end sharply. Put the drill in the right place, turn it, and at the same time hit it with a hammer. Periodically moisten the drill bit so that it will last longer.
Choice criteria for the drill bit
Different products are made for each type of work. They do not cost cheap, so it is important to buy a part that is suitable for the purpose:
- When buying, it is important to check that it is suitable for concrete. There are analogs that are designed only for wooden surfaces;
- when choosing a toothed type, you should carefully examine how the teeth are fixed. Depends on the depth of fit depends on the service life;
- Choose based on the power of the equipment: up to 1,000 W, a version with a section of up to 25 mm is purchased.
To drill a concrete wall, you can first use a triangular punch. This is a high-strength rod with a sharpened end. Before starting, it is put to the marked place and struck several times with a hammer, periodically turning. You will get a small funnel, continue to deepen it with a drill.
If you feel that the drill has stopped advancing, you should return to the puncher. Next, set it into the hole and hit it several times with a hammer, then again make a hole with the drill. The processes are carried out in this sequence until the required depth is reached.
- Beforehand, make sure that the instrument is in good condition and that the drill is not visibly damaged. Work with the wall of concrete very carefully, the duration of performed actions should not exceed 12 minutes. If more time is needed, it is necessary to periodically let the drill cool down.
- To make the hole with less force, it is recommended to moisten the surface with water, this will protect the metal from deformation and greatly facilitate the process. It is categorically impossible to cool the tool in a beaker of liquid.
- Determine the routing of electrical wires beforehand to prevent them from being damaged.
- A regular power drill must be set perpendicular to the wall, otherwise there is a high probability of breakage.
- When using a tool that has a percussion function, periodically switch from “beat” to “kick” mode.
- If the drill is stuck in the concrete, it must not be loosened. To do this, it is disconnected, insert the nozzle of larger diameter and carefully release the tip.
To make the hole longer than 110 mm and with a diameter of 12 mm you need a powerful tool, such as an accelerator.
To install dowels made of plastic need to drill 1 cm more, as inside there remains drilling dust and small crumbs of concrete.
Start working at low speed. This is necessary to prevent displacement of the nozzle. The impact mode can be used only after a depth of about 2 mm has been reached.
If you plan to make a hole with a large diameter, it is recommended first to drill it with a tool with a smaller cross section, then expand.
To achieve the correct depth, you can mark the required parameter on the product with duct tape. This will avoid errors and make the cavity exactly the right size.
You should use a vacuum cleaner to prevent construction debris from flying all over the apartment. To do this, you need to put the pipe without the brush against the wall and plug it in. In the same way you can remove the fine crumbs from the hole.