How to make a mini drill with their own hands
If in order to make a device for clamping, will need to go to Aliexpress or other similar portal in search of collet chuck, with a cover all much easier. To create it will do garbage, which is usually thrown out.
A bottle of antiperspirant deodorant. Separate plastic containers perfectly fit the size of the motor from an audio recorder or CD player. In a situation where the motor is slightly larger in size, it should be inserted with a slight strain. In the lid of the bottle from antiperspirant it is necessary to cut a hole for deriving the collet cartridge. For practicality, at the very bottom you can put a socket for the power supply and on / off button on the side. This makes it possible to keep the drill away from the unit.
Making an engraver out of a 3D printer
An ordinary 3D printer is a good basis for creating an engraver which can be used to cut various materials, make crafts and perform other operations. To upgrade an existing device, you will need to additionally install a board which will feed the operational circuits of the equipment and the laser module.
An engraving machine made from a 3D printer is demonstrated in the following video.
In addition to the considered simplest ways to create a homemade engraving machine from a 3D printer, a small electric motor, a small electric motor, a blender and a drill, there are also other options. In this case, as the basis for using this technique, and other power tools. Craftsmen are constantly inventing new modifications, showing designer fantasy. Realizing in practice any of the above options or an independent development, it is necessary to ensure the safety of the created self-made device. For this it is necessary to isolate the electrical contacts well and perform the assembly of the equipment reliably.
Economical version without housing
The most budget model of mini drill is usual electric motor, which is connected to the power unit through wiring without housing. A 12-volt motor will need a power supply consisting of a 30-watt transformer and a rectifier bridge, for example, on a 1N1007 diode.
To prevent the motor from the pulsating oscillations of the winding in the process of rectifying the voltage will allow inclusion in the chain of a simple capacitor, up to 25 V with a capacitive characteristic of 1000 microfarads.
The chain works reliably, but as the load increases, for example, when drilling dense material, the tension will drop, which will lead to a stop of rotation. You can stabilize the voltage by adding stabilizers to the circuit KR142EN8B or L7812CV
Once the drive unit is ready, a chuck is made or bought. even a pen stick with glue to hold the drill in can be used for home drilling of miniature holes. Also the chuck can be replaced with the previously suggested collet or screw terminal.
Scope of application
Mini drill is widely used for a variety of tasks.
- Making holes in plastics, circuit boards, and other things. Of course, thick iron can not drill a device, but to make a hole in a sheet up to one millimeter thick, the power is enough.
- Screwing in and screwing out screws with small hats and threads. Such fasteners are found mainly on circuit breakers (switches), electrical wiring boards, in office equipment, as well as in low-power electric motors of small size.
- Equipped with special attachments, it can be used in the role of an engraver or grinder, for this purpose in her chuck put spherical nozzles with rough working surface. During the rotation of the nozzle processes the workpiece or applies the desired pattern.
These are the main areas where the mini drill is practiced, but apart from them, it is widely used in everyday life, for example, for processing (cleaning) of two glued objects made of plastic or glass. When preparing the joints of both products are grinded, and then the surfaces are adjusted so that the pieces are closely adjacent to each other.
Mini-drill with their own hands
All self-made mini drill, which you can make yourself, can be divided into electric (driven by an electric motor) and manual mini-drill (manually rotated). The first option has significant advantages due to the autonomous operation, but at the same time, you need both the motor and the power supply for it. The second variant of mini drill requires neither power nor an electric motor, so it is much easier to make if all necessary materials are available. Once you have chosen which type suits you best, you can proceed to making it.
Note right away that this is exactly a reduced version of the classic device for drilling, so the work that can be done with the mini drill is limited to plastic, circuit boards, plywood, soft woods. It cannot cut steel or concrete, which is why its power is relatively low.
What you need for an electric mini drill?
Each of us at home can find a huge number of hand tools, which no longer use, but they can still be used to create a mini drill.
To assemble such a tool yourself you will need:
- A small motor is the most important part, because its parameters will directly determine the capabilities of the mini–drill. The most suitable options are motors from old hairdryers. they have a good enough power and speed from 1000 to 1800 rpm, and hair dryers themselves are often sent to the junk category even with the working motor. Also a good idea a motor from a blender or mixer (you can leave their case), from a tape recorder and children’s toys motors are less powerful, but for the mini drill quite suitable.
- Power supply. depending on the type of device, the motor can be powered from either 220VAC, or from a low voltage 6VDC. In the first case, it is enough to plug it into a socket through the power cord. If the motor works from DC with a rated voltage of 3, 6, 12 V, you will need a power supply with conversion to the appropriate level or a few batteries.
- Chuck. as a chuck for a mini drill, the ideal option would be a native element of a failed electric screwdriver or a small drill. But not everyone can get hold of such a luxury, so the universal option is collets. a part for clamping round elements or self-made collet made of metal tubing with bolt clamps.
Important parameter for the collet is the inside diameter. it must clearly match the diameter of the motor shaft. If the collet is of small diameter, it simply will not fit on the shaft, if it is too big, it will wobble, and this will affect the drilling process. Therefore, before buying a particular model, measure the shaft, usually it is 1.5 or 2.3 mm, but the value may vary.
- Body. the main function of the body is to protect both the device itself from clogging and external influences and also the person by isolating the electrical part of the mini drill from the hands. So plastic parts like deodorant jars, plastic water pipes, old flashlight housings and others are great for use as mini drill bodies. The issue of insulation is particularly relevant for devices powered by 220 V mains, if the drill is powered from a safe low voltage of up to 42 VAC and 110 VDC, the housing can be made from metal tubes, canisters, etc.д. Fig. 3: the syringe barrel option
- Connection wires. choose according to the load, but due to the small amperage of the motor, you can choose insulated brands with a small cross section. To solder them, you need solder and a soldering iron or papa-mama type connectors. The second option is relevant in situations where you need to reverse the mini drill.
- Drill bit and other bits. fitted in the collet, you can replace the drill bit with a mill if you want, etc.д. Selected by collet hole diameter.
You can find most of the parts at home, but if you can’t find the chuck, you’d better buy a collet or order a bushing from a turner. Do not solder the drill directly to the shaft, as some “craftsmen” advise. Such attachment could easily fail long before the mini drill’s first work is completed.
How to assemble the electric mini drill.
Select a dry place for reassembly to prevent moisture from getting into the unit at this point. Because water or condensation can damage your drill when you turn it on or electrocute it. The whole process is conditionally divided into several steps, observing which you will get a mini drill, not particularly different in parameters from the factory-made products:
- Solder two wires to the electric motor pins (if you didn’t leave them from the previous product). For DC models, it is important to observe the polarity of the connection, so it is better to mark the wires with different colors for convenience. Fig. 4: solder the wires to the motor
- Solder a button to the motor starter circuit. not a required option, but handy enough if you’re going to be working the mini-drill for a long time. Fig. 5: button for the electric drill
- Clamp the drill bit in the collet or sleeve, depending on the chuck design, it must be clamped so tightly that it cannot be turned by hand. Figure. 6: position the drill bit
- Place the assembled chuck on the motor shaft, as deep as possible. But make sure that the chuck itself does not touch the motor housing in rotation, there must be a play of at least 2 to 3mm between each other. because at higher speeds it can come loose and catch on the motor housing and break the motor in time. Fig. 7: Place the chuck on the motor
- Fix the chuck onto the shaft by means of the bolts. Note that each bolt must be tightened in turn with the same number of revolutions. If during fixing you find that one or more of the bolts are no longer pulling, let the previous bolts go to even them out. If the head moves against the shaft, the drill bit and the minitool itself will become loose while drilling. Fig. 8: order of tightening the chuck
- Mini drill ready, plug in the device to the mains or battery and try to start. Fig. 9: Connect the power supply
Options for the body of the mini drill
If in order to make a chuck for a mini drill, you will need to visit Aliexpress or other similar resource in search of a collet, with the body all much easier. For its manufacture is suitable junk, which in most cases is recycled. Let’s look at a few options:
- Antiperspirant bottle. Some plastic containers are the perfect size for a motor from a tape recorder or CD player. If the motor is slightly larger, you can insert it with a little tension. In the lid of the antiperspirant bottle you need to cut a hole for the chuck outlet. For more convenience in the lower part you can install a socket for the power supply and on the side of the power button. This makes it possible to store the drill separately from the unit.
- Electric chuck. Less acceptable option: it is not possible to make a hole in such a strong plastic, so the trigger has to be fixed to the body with glue. You can use a soap bubble bottle as a back cover.
- A tube of a suitable size. Any material. metal, plastic or rubber. is suitable. Not as aesthetic option as above. Note that when attaching the motor to the housing, there must be no gap, or else the drill may kick during use. You can use cold welding or superglue for additional fixation.
Areas of application
Mini drill is widely used to perform various tasks.
- Making holes in plastics, chip boards and other things. Of course, thick iron can not drill a device, but to make a hole in a sheet up to one millimeter thick, the strength is enough.
- Screwing in and screwing out screws with a small cap and thread. Such fasteners are mostly found on automatic machines (switches), electric wiring boards, in office equipment, as well as in low-power electric motors of small size.
- Equipped with special attachments, it can be used in the role of an engraver or grinder, for this purpose its chuck is equipped with a spherical nozzle with a rough work surface. During the rotation of the nozzle processes the workpiece or causes the desired drawing.
To improve the result and not to overheat the surface, it is desirable to use oil emulsion, which minimizes the friction force.
These are the basic spheres in which the mini drill is used, but in addition to them, it is extensively used in the household, for example, for processing (cleaning) of two glued objects made of plastic or glass. When preparing the joints, both products are deburred, and then the surfaces are adjusted so that the pieces are adjacent to each other.
The full equivalent of a factory-made “dremel
You need a 5V or 12V motor, which can be taken from a broken children’s toy, a miniature fan, printer, tape recorder, or just bought on Aliexpress. If you plan to use the drill not only for drilling circuit boards, you can make a handy housing from a polypropylene water pipe. Choose diameter so that the motor holds firmly to the walls. Ventilation is usually along the shaft. You can use an empty tube of construction sealant.
End caps can be cut from any material such as PVC or acrylic. If the motor is powerful enough, the charger from an old cell phone won’t work. You need at least 3A reserve current (for 5 volt). A good option is an old computer power supply (you can get it for next to nothing at a flea market).
Tip: A computer power supply can be used to make a universal power supply for a home repair shop. Stable power supply 5V with up to 20 amps, and 12V with up to 8 amps. Both dremel and soldering iron can be connected.
The collet chuck can be purchased in a store: the department of accessories for cutters and drills. If there is a need for speed regulation. you can make a circuit on your own, or buy a ready-made unit.
Here is a picture of the Chinese regulator and the power supply from the Internet router (12V, 1.2A).
With such a homemade “dremel” you can not only drill miniature holes. By installing the appropriate attachment, you can work with a mill, burr, or cutting disc.