Peculiarities of converting wheeled motoblocs into caterpillar ones
Few modern power tillers are equipped with tracks. The main reason for this is the lightness and maneuverability that machines with pneumatic wheels get. However, in some cases the operating conditions require the machine to be equipped with crawler tracks, which will make the machine more passable. Caterpillars for power tillers provide more downforce, which makes the machine much more stable on soft, loose ground.
A single-axle tracked tractor is less common on the market. This is quite easy to explain, because wheeled models of Caiman, VIKING, Forza, Salyut and other manufacturers are better adapted for operation on small and relatively flat plots with clay soils and chernozem.
However, each of the wheeled agricultural machinery can be quickly and easily transferred to the tracked. The main requirement for this. the choice of location and installation of one additional wheel on each side of the structure. The result. a single-axle tractor with pneumatic wheels, ready for mounting the tracks. The latter can be purchased at agricultural equipment retail outlets. the Buran model is quite common among enthusiasts, which is suitable for installation on many modern models of agricultural machinery. Very popular among gardeners are self-made tracks for motor-block. for their manufacture does not need to buy expensive components or spend a lot of time on the design and installation.
If necessary the 2 additional wheels for the track installation can be made detachable. This gives the operator the ability to quickly transform the machine as the specific operating conditions require. Detachable pneumatic wheels can be attached to the machine with axles, using flexible or rigid gearing. Thanks to this method, the manufacturer does not need to weld the axles and their fasteners in the design.
If you consider the factory design of the branded crawler tractors, it is almost the same as that of the wheeled models.
These implements are constructed as follows:
- Power unit. the tracks on a single axle tractor weigh more than the wheels, so the engines for these machines are more powerful. In addition, the motors of crawler tractors are equipped with a mechanism for locking the regular axles. it is necessary for the possibility of turning the agricultural machine on the spot;
- transmissions. includes gearbox, clutch and gearbox;
- The running gear. this consists of the tracks and the factory drive system;
- Machine controls. this includes levers, buttons, switches, and toggle switches that are mounted on handles and wired to the appropriate nodes via tensioned cables.
Thus, the difference between the two types of agricultural machines is only in the presence of tracks and a more powerful engine equipped with additional functions.
Features and equipment
Crawlers for a power tiller greatly simplify both the transportation of cargo and the movement of the device itself. Due to the fact that the track mechanism covers a fairly large surface area, the single–axle tractor moves much more evenly, exerts less pressure on the surface and does not get stuck on difficult soils. A single-axle tractor on tracks is able to work even in bad weather, and in good weather it becomes even more maneuverable.
The maintenance and use of the caterpillar module does not cause owners any special difficulties, and making it yourself is not difficult at all. When the single-axle tractor is equipped with a crawler module, its speed is reduced. However, the device’s ability to move over difficult terrain, carry loads and even clear snow increases.
Otherwise, crawler models are exactly the same as traditional crawler models. The engine must be a four-stroke with the ability to lock the axles so that the unit can turn without making a full circle. There is also a requirement for water cooling to help cope with the high loads that cause the motor to overheat. This version is more efficient than the aerial version. The clutch system, gearbox and gearbox in tracked machines are in the traditional version. The single-axle tractor with crawler is steered with the crank handle.
Independently creating a track, it is important to understand that if you design them too high, then the center of gravity of the power tiller will change, and it will have difficulty turning, and even tilt on one side or the other. To prevent this situation, the second drive axle is to be made longer by a couple of centimeters
Also with the help of a bushing it will be possible to expand the wheelbase, already existing in the power tiller.
How to make a track on a single axle tractor with their own hands
If you want, you can modify your own single-axle tractor, turning it into a caterpillar all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile. The main rule. you should take into account for which works the caterpillars are intended, so choose the right material, because they must be not only durable, but also extremely light.
Having available materials, properly calculated the length of the caterpillar, you can make it yourself with simple improvised means.
You first need to equip your single axle tractor with an extra pair of wheels. On each side pair and will be put on a caterpillar tape.
The length of each of the two tracks will be equal to the length of the circumference of one wheel and the distance between the axles of each pair of wheels, multiplied by two.
The material for self-made can serve:
So, let’s look at several options for making your own gooseneck, depending on the material used.
Made from conveyor belt
This method is the easiest, since it does not require a large number of special tools and auxiliary materials.
- Choosing a belt for the caterpillar, give preference to a strip with a thickness of at least 7 mm. because it has a sufficiently heavy load. A hub-and-roller chain will provide the coupling to the moving parts.
- To make the belt strong and to increase its service life, it is recommended to stitch it with a fishing line on the edges with frequent stitches, about 10 mm apart.
- Also need to stitch the tape at the ends to connect it into a ring of desired diameter, or use for greater reliability hinges that resemble a piano canopy.
- Make sure that the extra wheel set you install on the frame of the power tiller is the same diameter as the main wheels on the power tiller.
From the tire
It’s easy enough to make a sturdy, robust track for your power tiller out of a tire. The process of making it from a car tire does not take too much time, because it does not need to be sewn and build up the grousers. the tire itself is a closed structure with a tread for traction.
The manufacturing process is divided into several steps:
- With a very sharp knife soaked in soapy water to enhance the cutting ability on the rubber, cut the tape for the track of the required width.
- Cut the sides from the tire with an electric jigsaw with a fine toothed saw.
- The rigid parts on the inside of the tire are also cut using a knife or jigsaw.
However, even here there are a few points to which you should pay attention:
- The tread pattern should be clearly defined, because its reliefs are a kind of grip of the moving mechanism with the surface.
- The length of such a track is limited by the diameter of the tire, so before you attach an extra pair of wheels, you should take this into account.
of belts and chains
In order to make a crawler all-terrain vehicle out of a motoblock, you can use ordinary belts with a wedge-shaped profile. The belts are connected to each other by the grounding tongs attached to the belts with rivets or screws. This is how you get a belt-driven track.
To make a caterpillar from chains (chain tracks), you need to take two pieces of the same chain of the required length.
- The end links of both segments are unfastened in order to connect them into two closed rings.
- The unclamped links are clamped again, and then welded together for strength.
- The required thickness of steel is cut out to serve as a cleat.
- Soil hooks are bolted at both ends to the links of both closed chains, thus forming a relief track on a single-axle tractor.
Design features of the device
Making a homemade caterpillar for a power tiller with your own hands saves money on buying factory-made devices and further operation of the equipment. If everything is done correctly, then the homemade crawlers for a power tiller increase the cross-country ability.
Compared with their wheeled counterparts, tracked power tillers are not so widespread. The explanation is simple. Wheels from Texas, Patriot, Caiman, VIKING, Forza are most adapted to the plowing of land areas. This design is best suited for work related to the soil.
Rebuilding a wheeled power tiller is a job that consists of attaching one additional wheel to each side. This makes a four-wheeled single axle tractor that can be fitted with crawler tracks. They can, in turn, be purchased or homemade. Additional wheels can be fitted as removable parts. This makes it possible to turn the machine into a standard single-axle tractor in time, ideal for work in the garden.
For this purpose, the wheels are attached to the axle, which is already provided for in the design, by means of a rigid or flexible gear. Such a decision is considered appropriate, because it eliminates the need to mount additional mounts. As for the device of these motoblocks, they fully correspond to the parameters of the wheeled modifications:
- Engine. It is a powerful four-stroke. It has the function of locking the axles. This enables the single-axle crawler tractor to turn on the spot without making a complete circle.
- Transmission. Standard kit includes gearbox, clutch system and gearbox.
- Undercarriage. Here are the caterpillars used. They replace the wheelbase. If modification is made, one coil on each side is added to the existing pair of wheels. A self-made caterpillar is put on them.
- Controls. Located on the handlebar. Include emergency stop mechanisms and various clutch levers.
Before you start making it yourself, it is necessary to evaluate offers in stores that specialize in the sale of such equipment. Particular attention should be paid to the price of certain varieties of caterpillars for well-known manufacturers of power harvesters. Let’s say the track on a single-axle tractor Neva costs about 28,000 This is a fully functional snowmobile attachment. A driver’s seat can be purchased separately, which makes a single-axle tractor look like a mini-tractor, albeit with less impressive performance. The technical parameters here are:
- Develops a speed of about. 18 km per hour;
- the weight of the device in total. 37 kg;
- width. 60 cm;
- Length. 100 cm;
- Height. 34 cm.
Accommodates one driver and one passenger. In addition, on sale you can find attachment to the crawler motor-block, which is designed for the models Salyut and Agat. The cost of it ranges from 25 to 27 thousand. This design does not provide for the attachment of the driver’s seat. Because of this there are some restrictions on the functionality of this device. But for off-road driving and snow, such a vehicle is quite suitable.
In online stores there are a large number of different models of snowmobile attachments, mounted on the tracks to the power tiller. This indicates the popularity of such models.
Their feature is the ability to control not only with two hands while walking behind the power harvester, but also while sitting in a folding sled. The latter will have to be purchased separately. If we consider that the average cost of a set-top box is about 30 thousand Not counting the price of folding sleds, we can say that the self-made caterpillar can save a lot of money.
Features of making a homemade caterpillar
Before you start designing the track, you should consider some nuances. So, the entire construction should have a certain height. For example, if the caterpillar drive is too high, the motoblock will change its center of gravity and it will simply fall on its side when turning. You should also consider that your single-axle tractor must be water-cooled. Air cooling will poorly cope with the overheating of the motor during heavy loads. So go for water cooled machines to make sure it all runs smoothly.
Here are the most common options for such models:
Made from car tires.
In this case, they are all a fixed width. Often they have to be adjusted to the right size by hand. This labor-intensive procedure. However, in the end a solid model is obtained.
This is a very simple variant, where several grounders are connected by one belt. This design is simple to make, but not reliable enough. Because the connecting belt often tears.
This is a very inexpensive version of the tracks, and anyone can make them. Because consumables are almost always at hand.
Transporter belt and bushing chain with rollers
This option is the most popular. It can be used at any time of year. This kind of crawler module is very simple to make, but the connections are not very reliable.
Choose an option based on what functions the crawler module will perform, and what power your power harvester has.
For small capacities, you can use simple designs, they will be able to withstand standard loads. But for more powerful machines, you should use more robust models.
Crawler module for power tiller
Crawler module for motor-block. it is an attachment that will give you the opportunity to transform your technique into a snowmobile or motor-towing machine. And it can be done in a matter of minutes.
Caterpillars for power tillers are beneficial to those who already have a power tiller. Having such an attachment, you can put not only the single-axle tractor “Neva” and other brands of similar equipment, but also motocultivators, which have a working shaft diameter of 30 mm.
To make a crawler drive to the motor block with your own hands may need a drawing.
Under the brand “Krutets” crawler belts are produced, which, regardless of power and weight of the cultivator, fit any manufacturer’s power tillers. They have a solid frame, and can be operated in any season. The attachment is installed on a single-axle tractor with the help of keys.
Famous attachments on motor blocks can include domestic “Lynx”, “Muravy” and “Buran”. Imported ones include: Talon 380, Talon WT and others.
As for the caterpillar, made by your own hands, you need to remember that its high height increases the center of gravity of the unit. This threatens instability and overturning on turns and problem areas. Stability requires an additional axle.
If the wheelbase is narrow, it needs to be widened. A bushing must be installed on the drive shaft. It can be purchased at any auto parts store.
If you use a triangular swivel extension (in the absence of a differential), there is a chance to increase the maneuverability of the equipment. Note that air-cooled machines are not compatible with crawler tracks.
It simply can not cope with a heavy load. Ideal are motoblocs with water cooling. The motor does not overheat with this cooling.
Caterpillars for power tillers allow fans of outdoor activities in winter. fishermen and hunters. to get to the necessary place unhindered. On such a machine you can also transport various loads, hay or firewood.
Reviews about homemade caterpillars are positive. When you make your own tracks, you can not skimp on details and details, otherwise the single-axle tractor will turn out unreliable. Or you need to buy homemade attachments from craftsmen who have repeatedly engaged in the manufacture of tracks for power tillers.
If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to buy a ready-made attachment. The only drawback is the price.
Recommendations for use
When using the caterpillar tracks of a power tiller you must constantly check how well the chain is tensioned, as well as regularly oil the parts whose friction occurs during movement. It is also recommended to check each time before use if there are any damages or breaks on the chain. A routine inspection should also be done after the ride to detect any damage or failed hitches in time. When using a power tiller, you should avoid hitting roots and rock masses, as well as stumps, otherwise the track module will be torn very quickly.
Watch the following video review of tracked ATV.
Cool tracked all-terrain vehicle with your own hands (15 photos)
Moderators:newbie, Question, argon84, Volodka Nikolaev, mmcl200
Back to “Tracked all-terrain vehicles / types of tracks, manufacturing methods/”
- ↳ Trick-or-treating and alley-oop garage
- ↳ Flames
- ↳ Interesting photos and videos
- ↳ Events 2016
- ↳ Events 2017
- ↳ Events 2018
- ↳ Events 2019
- ↳ Events archive
- ↳ Events 2011
- ↳ Events 2012
- ↳ Events 2013
- ↳ Activities 2014
- ↳ HIKE 2014 VOLOGDA
- ↳ Events 2015
- ↳ The philosophy of all-terrain vehicle building
- ↳ Computer simulation, drawings, 3D visualization
- ↳ Reference
- ↳ Project Office
- ↳ Contests, tenders, orders
- ↳ Geography
- Practice 1
- ↳ Automotive layout
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles of the Cheburator type
- ↳ Light Caracat
- ↳ Rear-mounted vehicles
- ↳ Pneumatic actuators
- ↳ Rollershafts
- ↳ Based on OKA body
- ↳ Pneumatic Wheels Perspective
- ↳ Heavy all-terrain vehicles Pneumatics
- ↳ Heavy all-terrain vehicles Pneumatics, DUMPER
- ↳ Foreign machinery
- ↳ Prototypes
- ↳ Lubricant oils Technical fluids
- ↳ ATVs
- Practice 2
- ↳ Completed projects
- ↳ Construction
- ↳ Wheels for pneumatics
- ↳ Transmission pneumatics
- ↳ Transmission II
- ↳ Transmission III
- ↳ Air suspension
- ↳ Engine
- ↳ Engine II
- ↳ Engine III
- ↳ Engine IV
- ↳ Electrics
- ↳ Frame and body pneumatic
- ↳ Brake system pneumatics
- ↳ Power supply system
- ↳ Cooling system
- ↳ Central pumping system
- ↳ Steering system
- ↳ Electronics
- Rare and interesting engines
- ↳ What kind of engine is it?
- ↳ A few separate topics from the Admin
- ↳ Turbo themes
- ↳ Power generation
- Registration of homemade pneumatics/buggies
- ↳ Registration of homemade airbikes/buggies
- ↳ Trailers
- 4×2 and 3×3 all-terrain motorcycles
- ↳ 4×2 and 3×3 all-wheel drive motorcycles
- Special part of 2×2
- Personal Sections
- ↳ Uvat /Karakats by Uvat,a
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles Manguste (r. Tikhvin, Len. area)
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles Dil,a (r. Ryazan)
- ATVs TUNDRA
- ↳ WhiteHouse ATVs
- ↳ ATVs of Valery Leontiev
- ↳ Personal sections
- Crawler and Augercatcher section
- ↳ ARGO section, and similar
- ↳ Tracked all-terrain vehicles /theory, communication/
- ↳ Tracked cross-country vehicles PP
- ↳ Tracked cross-country vehicles WP
- ↳ Tracked-wheeled all-terrain vehicles
- ↳ Tracked all-terrain vehicles / types of tracks, manufacturing methods/
- ↳ Tracked rovers /suspension/
- ↳ Articulated track cross-country vehicles
- ↳ Snowmobiles and parallel tracked machines
- ↳ Tracked all-terrain vehicles /construction/
- ↳ Tracked cross-country vehicles
- Small agricultural machinery
- ↳ Minitractors
- ↳ Appliances
- ↳ Agricultural implements
- ↳ Appliances, tractors for the garden
- ↳ Utility equipment, appliances
- GPS navigation, satellite communications, walkie-talkies
- GPS navigators
- ↳ Walkie-talkies
- ↳ Electronic gadgets
- Automobile section / Workshop / ATVs
- ↳ Heating and security for the garage
- ↳ Construction
- Materials and Technology
- Other devices and implements
- ↳ Mechanical engineering
- ↳ Woodworking
- ↳ Measuring tools and devices
- ↳ Automotive section
- ↳ Retro and History
- ↳ Hunting and Fishing
- Going out and about in ATVs
- ↳ Safety topic
- ↳ Dissent
- Industrial all-terrain vehicles Pneumatics
- All-terrain vehicles Alexei Garagashyan (d. SPB)
- ↳ ATVs from Uvat (r. Omsk)
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles “LESNIK” (r. Vologda)
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles “Litvina
- ↳ High cross-country vehicle SAMURAY 4×4 from St. Petersburg
- TROM 8×8 cross-country vehicles family (Bogorodsk, Russia). Surgut)
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles XPEN (Komi ASSR)
- ↳ ATVs Petrovich (Ecotrans r. Tyumen)
- cross-country vehicles “Predator” (r. Surgut)
- Arctictrans (Surgut, Sverdlovsk region). Moscow)
- ↳ Trakol
- cross-country vehicles SKB GazStroiMashina (Rybinsk, Perm). Tyumen
- ↳ AVTOROS, Z-Project all-terrain vehicles
- Heavy snow and marshmobiles from Arkuda LLC (ТБХ4х4х8х8, etc.). Rybinsk
- Cross-country vehicles “Wanderer
- ↳ Cross-country vehicles GM-Staratel from Company “Favorit
- Ltd. cross-country vehicles “Arcuda”. SBX4x4, SBX8x8 etc. (г. Irbit)
- cross-country vehicles “Storm” (r. Perm)
- ATLANT” cross-country vehicles
- All-terrain cross-country vehicles “Kerzhak” (r. Nizhny Novgorod)
- cross-country vehicles MARSH
- cross-country vehicles Berkut 8×8 (r. Tyumen)
- Vitaly Mazurkevich all-terrain vehicles
- ↳ all-terrain vehicles Tver
- The vehicle is a workshop of our company
- ↳ cross-country vehicles MARSH
- ↳ All-terrain vehicles of the SolomonMobile family, Novosibirsk, Russia. Novosibirsk
- Cross-country vehicles “Rusak” (Moscow, Russia). Bogorodsk)
- Hoarders / stores / notice board
- ↳ Private stores
- ↳ Svetocha store
- Tarzan store
- Yurasa store
- ↳ Lyuberetsky store
- ↳ chop shop
- ↳ Dimidrol Shop. domestic truck parts
- ↳ Power stores
- ↳ Metalwork store
- ↳ Tire store
- ↳ flea market
- ↳ For Sale
- ↳ Junkwares III
- ↳ Stores II (store)
- ↳ PARTS ON SALE
- ↳ “JU”.shop of VIP accessories
- ↳ Motor
- Wheels and rims
- ↳ Electrical equipment
- ↳ Miscellaneous
- User’s section in our forum
- ↳ Website and forum work
- ↳ Rules and regulations of our forum
- ↳ Political Bureau