How to wind the trimmer line on the grass trimmer reel
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a spool, on which the cord thread is wound. A total of 3 types of heads are distinguished:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (trimmer line) manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head is characterized by simplicity and convenience. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches the maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The cord is pulled out by centrifugal force and the wearer has only to cut it with the knife.
- Automatic. The line for the trimmer is fed after reducing the engine speed. This head comes in handy when you need to do extended work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the fast wear and tear of the cord.
Now, to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer reel, it is necessary to pay attention to the choice of cord.
Choice of line
To make sure you get the right line in your trimmer head, it’s important not to miscalculate your choice of material. The thicker the cord, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for trimmer, which diameter is 2 mm, is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual that came with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information on the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet hole. If it will pass through without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord by the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will be greatly overheated and will soon fail. Useful tips:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500V, a 1.3-mm-thick filament is fine. If you haven’t found one, you can use a 1.6 mm line for the trimmer. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. A 2 mm cord is often used for the bent version. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the cross sectional type of cord. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- A spiral cord is not very strong, but is good for thin, young grass.
- The serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped, or square grass trimmer line can mow the lawn more evenly, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Grass trimmer fishing line Take into account that wire, metal cords and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line cannot be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. A rope or similar product will gradually unravel, causing the ends to unravel and the small pieces to fly away at high speed.
How to insert a line into a trimmer for grass trimming: some simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person has many opportunities to reduce manual labor. Such innovations include the grass trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing the grass and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. A trimmer line is used as a cutting tool. It is strongly tensioned and thus mows grass at almost any height. Controlling a power tool is easy enough, but the problem arises when you run out of cutting material. Not everyone will immediately understand how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer. Although it is a simple operation, but a person who encounters this task for the first time, it is not always clear how to properly wind it on the spool. All the more so that the manual sometimes does not specify information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line for trimmer.
When you figure out how to change the cutting material, further use and care for the electric trimmer will be greatly simplified. In order to wind the line for the grass trimmer, you should perform several operations, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by turning the drum to the right side. You will have in your hands the head with the remains of the old thread. Open it with a screwdriver or squeeze the lock and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. Be careful when doing this since there is a spring inside that could eject all the internal parts of the drum when it is unloaded. To change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the remaining material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. In the middle of the spool there is a hole in which to insert the material. There is also an arrow there, indicating the direction to wind the line for the grass trimmer. It is important to take into account some points. If the spool has two holes, then half of the line for the grass trimmer should be tucked in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction. Finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the reel, put the spring and washers in place. Then, holding the spool, tuck the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling the cutting material.
As a rule, it is necessary to change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer once for the whole season. However, if the mowing area and grass height are large, this consumable will have to be installed more often. If you need to tuck the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass TM “Makita” or other manufacturer, you can buy it in the online store “Toolparts”.
How to wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer spool
Threading fishing line into the tool reel is, at first glance, a tricky business. But it is enough to study this process carefully. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulty.
To learn how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the features of the coils of different types of trimmers, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The line spool is the lower extremity of the grass trimmer. First and foremost, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft), on which the spool is attached. Fix it in such a way that it does not twist. This is easiest to do by placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of mortar (preferably metal). When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the lock on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, it is necessary to press it firmly. Hold down the latch and turn the head cap clockwise. Then remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It should be set aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the stage of winding the fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are residues of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new one.
- From the pre-prepared skein of new fishing line it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin handy.
At this point starts the key stage, to which this article is devoted.
Lawn Edging with a String Trimmer or Weed Eater : Correct vs Incorrect
First method of winding the line
The correct amount of fishing line has been cut. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbin. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the spool is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. in the first version, the split face is not ring-shaped and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the spool belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter strip should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then insert the folded point into the recess in the bushing. One half of the line must be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the thread so that it does not intertwine and the upper half is winded to the top of the bobbin and the lower half to the bottom. Each half has about fifteen centimeters of free space from the end.
- There are small notches (or slots) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable material. The ends of the threads need to be inserted into these slots so that they are locked one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material in the tool. the ends, fixed on the bobbin, must be slipped into the appropriate holes in the trimmer head for grass.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to reassemble the head as one piece. The spring is gently placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- The loose ends of the thread should be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. Make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads out a little. they should come out unobstructed through the holes in the head.
- Press the bobbin down and place the cover over the bobbin. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
Process completed. The line for the trimmer is threaded into the spool. The grass trimmer is now ready for use.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared length of six meters, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut. That way two bars of equal length are created.
- At one end of each strand, make a small hook. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix for a while so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then take one length. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- now we can proceed to the key step. winding. The direction to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. You don’t have to wind the thread all the way to the tip. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- There are small notches (so called grooves) in the upper edge of the spool for fixing the consumable material. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The top part of the spool is tucked in. Now we need to do the same procedure with the bottom part. The second piece of thread is taken. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And at this piece about fifteen centimeters from the end should also be left free. This remaining “tail” should be inserted into the recess opposite to that in which the end of the first segment is inserted.
- Pay attention to the arrows, this is the direction we will wind the thread. In my example, they go counterclockwise. So I will wind the line for the trimmer on the spool counterclockwise;
- Check that the spring inside the reel is intact and resilient;
- With the slots on the reel, you can and should quickly insert the line for the trimmer. I take 1 meter and fold it in half;
- Wind the line for the trimmer on the spool in the right direction (don’t forget to check on the surface of the spool). It is necessary to make sure that it fits as tightly as possible;
- Guide the ends of the line through the holes on the spool. From personal experience, I will say that it is easier and better to do this before we close the top of the spring;
- Make sure that all parts of the spool are in place and the line for the trimmer is securely attached inside the structure;
- Close the lid tightly until you hear a click;
- Attach the spool back to the tool.
Done! The tricky part of the whole process. Winding the trimmer line onto the spool, as it always tends to slip out of your fingers.
At last I want to add that it is necessary to pay attention to a choice of thickness of a cord which you will “tuck” in your trimmer for the grass. I advise to buy thicker line for the trimmer, then it will last longer and will wear out more slowly.
Nikita Khlintsov. Foresta gardening technology specialist.
Published by DecorateMe. Updated June 23, 2021.
Each trimmer manufacturer recommends a trimmer line, or cord, of a certain diameter. a spool is made for it. It can be from 1.2 to 4 mm: check the manual to see what size fishing line is allowed for your tool. For example, many trimmers have a maximum value of 3 mm (recommended for hard grass). you can’t install a thicker cord. A thin trimmer line with a diameter of 1.2 to 1.6 mm is suitable for mowing young, soft vegetation. Also note the shape of the filament: round filament is best suited for hard grass, curly filament for soft grass, coiled or notched filament for thinner stems. Depending on whether you have grass on the lawn or weeds, you should buy the correct material. Coiling lengths can vary from a few tens of meters to several hundred meters, and the price depends on it. Use the amount of work to be done. If the grass trimmer is used in a private household, there is no need to buy a roll of more than 100 m.
Important to know! Buy only branded line for the trimmer, recommended by the manufacturer of the grass trimmer. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut the grass perfectly and not wear out so quickly.
One piece of line in the bobbin requires a length of 2 to 4 m. it all depends on the thickness of the line and the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you wind more than this, the line will be stiff and you may have trouble pulling the new ends in while working. Coil up the necessary amount and cut with a knife.
Useful tip: Place a length of cord in water for about 30 minutes so that it becomes firmer and stronger.
To insert the line for the trimmer into the trimmer head, you need to remove it from the tool. Depending on the design, this can be done by pushing on the catches or unscrewing the catch. Pay attention to the direction of thread. right or left. and turn the thumbscrews accordingly. An arrow on the trimmer head normally indicates the direction of rotation. It is recommended to wear gloves for this operation. your fingers won’t slip and your hands won’t get dirty.
Disassembling the mowing head
The line for trimmer is wound on the bobbin, which is hidden in the trimmer head body. To get to it, you need to disassemble the element. The cover of the trimmer head is easy to remove by pushing on the locking tabs. Sometimes disassembly is achieved by unscrewing the body.
Be careful! Remember the order in which the elements are installed, how the spring and the fixing screw are located inside the head. Carefully stack all the parts in one place so that nothing gets lost and there are no problems during assembly.
Trimmer heads differ in construction, reel type, and line pulling principle. When you take apart the case, you will see the bobbin and determine what type it belongs to. with a separating strip in the middle, which divides the reel into a upper and a lower part for each end of the line. Without a trim strip, the line is wound without a trim strip. To make the process more understandable we suggest to use the table below.
How to wind different types of bobbins
With Separating Edge
Without separating trim
We have described how to wind the line for your trimmer reel with two strands of grass trimmer. This is the most common. But there are other ways. For example, if the mowing head has one tendril, you wind it without folding the trimmer line. turn in the direction indicated on the bobbin case and temporarily fix the free end of the filament in the slot on the case. For trimmers with four tendrils the consumables are four short pieces that are inserted one by one into the holes of the already assembled head.
Useful tip: when winding the line carefully, do not overtighten it so that it does not sit very tight in the spool. Ensure its free movement for subsequent pulling.
Assembling the trimmer head
After the line for the trimmer is wound on the bobbin, you need to assemble the body. Position the spool so that the line ends can be pulled into the exit slots of the trimmer head. Slots in the bobbin where they were temporarily inserted prevent them from slipping out. If these slots are not present, use your fingers to hold the ends of the lines as you place the spool into the housing. After pulling the loose ends into the outlet holes, close the cover and secure it with latches or screws. Install the mowing head on your grass trimmer and pull the line ends to the right length so they don’t catch the guard during operation. Done! You are ready to go to work!
Thus, theoretically knowing the algorithm for changing the line in the trimmer head, you can easily and quickly cope with this task. The main thing is to take your time and carefully inspect the design of the bobbin before the first replacement. If you have difficulty with disassembling the housing, you can always refer to the instruction manual, which necessarily specifies the locking mechanisms. This helps prevent accidental breakage. Buy a line for your trimmer and other trimmer consumables in our online store.
Tips and trimming tips for your trimmer and what to know
If you still do not know how to wind the fishing line for the trimmer on the lawnmower spool, it will be useful to read a few recommendations from experts. This is to avoid injury to the user or breakage of the grass trimmer mechanism.
- When installing the cover, pay attention to the clicking sound of the latches. Depending on their number depends on the number of clicks you need to hear to be sure the reel is correctly installed. Otherwise, it may pop out and injure a person.
- Do not overtighten the trimmer line while winding.
- Use only the length of material that is necessary for optimum performance of the tool (specified in the instruction manual of the lawnmower).
- After replacing the filament, first make sure that the equipment is working properly before you start working directly on the lawn. If you neglect to check, there is a chance that the trimmer line will unravel and injure the operator.
- Buy high quality fishing line for your trimmer to ensure the strength, reliability of the material, on which the user’s safety directly depends.
- During operation, not only grass, but also small stones and other objects fall under the rotating line for the trimmer, which can fly off in an arbitrary direction. For safe work with a lawnmower, it is mandatory to use protective clothing.
Figuring out how to properly tuck the line for the trimmer in the lawnmower, a new cutting element will ensure uninterrupted operation of the trimmer for the grass on the site of about 600 sq.m if an additional reinforcing layer is provided on the cord. Nylon without reinforcement lasts a little less.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind the line for trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to know not only for beginners, but also for experienced masters trimmers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- Install the cover until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one latch does not click into place, the reel may jump out and injure a person when starting the tool
- Do not wind the trimmer line tightly or in more quantities than can be inserted in place. it is better not to wind up the tool, than more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After the replacement of the material, you must first check the serviceability of the tool, and only afterwards proceed to mowing grass. If not checked beforehand, the line may unravel and injure a person
This is interesting! Choose the right quality material so you don’t get hurt when working with petrol and trimmers and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit.
The result of the work done is the following. after replacing the new material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Normal nylon materials last a shorter time, which is important to consider when working. Do not attempt to mow thick stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or blades are available for this purpose.
Block: 8/8 | Number of characters: 2096
Number of blocks: 14 | Total number of characters: 20038Number of donors used: 5Information on each donor: