How to properly sharpen a chainsaw chain on a machine
At home, it is not difficult to sharpen the chain yourself and correctly A chain for a saw is a series of connected links that have special cutting teeth. It is designed to be mounted on a chainsaw. It is not difficult to sharpen the chain correctly and by yourself at home, but it is necessary to follow certain rules and use special devices, which can be homemade or factory-made.
Why and when to sharpen chainsaw chain
Competent maintenance and exploitation have a great influence on the chainsaw performance and productivity parameters of such an instrument as an electric chainsaw. Comfortable use of the tool requires timely sharpening. Specialists can sharpen the chain qualitatively, but many owners of such equipment prefer to sharpen the headset themselves. Problems that arise when the chain is not sharpened in a timely manner can be as follows:
- Obtaining curved cuts;
- Significant strain on the equipment;
- increased fuel consumption;
- increased wear of the chainsaw’s main parts and shortened chain tooth life.
Blunt chain often gets stuck in the cut, produces fine dust chips, and penetrates the cut with considerable effort. The result is a significant increase in the time it takes to cut. In the presence of such signs, you can sharpen the chain with your own hands, using a special device, or a machine. The harness is sharpened as early as possible to minimize metal wear and extend the service life.
Comfortable operation of the tool requires timely sharpening
Structure of chain teeth of the tool
If we look at the structure of the chain teeth as an example of a Druzhba chainsaw, we can observe several important points
- the teeth have a pair of edges: top and side;
- The top edge is angularly beveled in the direction of the blade;
- cutting links are represented by the base, the tooth blade and the depth stop;
- the blade has a horizontal, falling at an angle, blade and an end vertical blade;
- the thickness of the chip is determined by the difference, which is represented by the upper limiting line and the front line on the backs of the teeth;
- Under standard conditions, the difference values can be in the range of 0.5-0.8 mm, but the optimal parameter is 0.6 mm;
The teeth have a pair of edges: a top edge and a side edge
- each subsequent sharpening reduces the distance due to a reduction in the size of the top faces of the teeth;
- control filings are made every six to eight sharpenings;
- a 50 to 60° angle at the top edge and a back angle at the end blade are responsible for the cutting performance of the chain;
- front angular part is formed by the edge of the end blade and can be about 60-85°.
Only a saw that is sharpened well and on time will provide safe, highly productive operation.
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain at home
The performance of the working condition is determined by the tensile state of the clothing, as well as by the appearance of the chips formed in the sawing process. A well-sharpened saw produces regular, evenly shaped sawdust in the process. Otherwise, you need to choose a method of sharpening.
Machines and fixtures
Currently, manual sharpening and quality sharpening on a machine are used. Both methods have certain advantages and some disadvantages:
- the angle grinder is used quite often for sharpening, but it is important to check the sharpness of the chain, and to lubricate the drive sprocket with machine oil. The bar is periodically repositioned in reverse, which will prevent one-sided abrasion. Advantages of the method include not having to remove the chain from the saw, and being able to use visual selection of the sharpening angle;
A file or sharpener is a good way to sharpen the chain quickly and make it sharp enough for your daily work
- automatic machine involves sharpening the chain based on a few simple steps, including the installation of the saw in the machine, selecting the desired angle of sharpening and turning on the saw motor at full power, resulting in self-sharpening against the machine’s abrasive stone;
- manual machine is easy enough to use. The first step is to loosen the screw that clamps the chain, after which a suitable angle for sharpening is set and the maximum degree of sharpening is determined based on a visual inspection of the most blunt tooth. After sharpening, the chain is blown out and treated with clean oil.
The automatic chain sharpening machine assumes chain sharpening based on a few simple steps
Step-by-step instructions for hand sharpening with a file
A file or sharpener allows you to sharpen quickly and make the chain sharp enough to do the job. The diameter of the circular file is chosen depending on the chain pitch and usually varies from 4 to 5,2 mm. Cutter tooth stops should be represented by a flat file. Above all, a template or template should be secured to the sharpening area to guide the file.
The technique for sharpening the headset is not complicated, but should be done according to the following guidelines:
- firmly clamp the chain to be sharpened;
- sharpening at a specific, unvarying angle with the file protruding over the back of the tooth by one-fifth of its thickness;
- the file travel should be smooth and gentle, with no slack in the backstroke;
- To minimize wear on one side, the file should be turned periodically;
- the file is held at right angles to the vertical plane, and the horizontal angle varies between 10-30°;
- the shortest tooth in the row should be the guide during sharpening.
How to Determine Chain Condition?
When exactly you need to sharpen the chain, no one will tell you, because its wear depends on many factors: the intensity of use, the hardness of the wood, the correct position of the saw at the time of work, etc.д. But experts recommend not to wait until the saw stops sawing, and starts crumbling the wood.
The first signs of blunting are as follows
- If you have to use more force than usual while working. Check that the chain is tight and locked.
- Make sure cuttings are uniform in composition and size. If the chain is blunt, the chips are irregular in size and foreign material has been added.
- How sharp the teeth are affects how smoothly the cut is. If the saw is blunt, the chainsaw can wiggle to the side.
Hand sharpening machine
This method is not suitable for every chain, if the cutting edge is out of shape, sharpening is very difficult and takes a lot of effort and energy. It is easier to use a chain sharpening machine. There are two main types of machines, manual and powered by electricity, equipped with a stone for sharpening or a wheel. This is the clearer and truer method, which is suitable for everyone in any situation.
Let’s start by loosening the clamp in the chain. Then set up the chainsaw chain correctly so that the chain links are pointing toward the sharpening stone. Then, most importantly, in order not to spoil the whole job, select the correct angle at which the sharpening will take place.
- Alternating. each tooth is processed separately and one by one, one by one (in all cases the polarity is reversed)
- Grind every second cutter. from the right side, and later from the left side, you choose the sequence. Polarity in this method does not change
When choosing the method of sharpening with a manual sharpening machine, you should know some aspects that must be respected:
- To find out the rational level of sharpening the chain, depending on the blunt tooth, as a head guide
- It is forbidden to grind the chain too deeply, because then the strength and output as well as the operating time of the chainsaw decreases
- It is best to use compressed air after sharpening to blow away any excess. After that, leave the device to rest for a couple of hours.
- You simply can’t find a more exact method, but, unfortunately, it’s a time-consuming and labor-intensive job.
Tips and recommendations how to sharpen a chainsaw at home
For sharpening, it is acceptable to apply a file, but it should be understood that such saw operation will require certain skills and, of course, patience from the master. To sharpen each tooth, it is necessary to have at hand a flat and circular files. To grind a tooth without using additional equipment, you need to maintain the basic inclination of the sharpening. On sharpening is enough only 2-3 passes file, then there is no point in inventing some kind of tool to fix the tooth in a certain position. For sharpening the top edge, the file must be held at a proper angle during operation. Restoration of serviceability begins with preparation, namely with the working edges, it is necessary to remove all chinks.
If everything is clear with the angles of the teeth with straight parts of the structure, then the edge, located on the side and its working slope cause certain difficulties. A circular file or a file of small dimensions should be used for dressing them. The sharpening of these elements of the tooth is carried out at the required angle.
What sharpening tools are available?
To begin the work it is necessary to have the tools, which are divided into two types.
A set of tools necessary for sharpening saw teeth:
- A flat file, which you learn how to use in your schoolwork lessons. Use it to grind the depth stop.
- A round file with a certain diameter is needed for sharpening the cutting tooth. It comes with an extra attachment, a holder with lines that tell you how to hold the tool correctly in relation to the chain. The holder is placed on the tooth of the saw, taking into account the guide lines, the file position. under the cutting surface.
- Sharpening block for straightening and matching the settings.
- A hook is needed to remove sawdust from the chain.
Kits with various options are available in your specialist retailer
Metal templates for calculating the sharpening depth
Manual and electric machines
How to sharpen chain of chainsaw if cutting edge of tooth has absolutely lost its shape due to long-term work? You can also use files, but the process will be unproductive and time consuming. The best option. the use of machines, and here you have to choose, because the machines are different. manual and electric.
STIHL Manual chain sharpening machine
Before work, the parameters are set, and the processing is much faster than with files: for sharpening each tooth is enough for 2-3 movements. Electric machines also have a complex set-up, while working quickly and accurately.
An electric machine can save a lot of time, but not everyone is willing to shell out a hefty sum for it
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain
Chainsaw chain sharpening is a procedure regularly encountered by gardeners and professional woodcutters. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to restore the damaged teeth of the saw headset, and quickly return it to its previous working condition.
To understand how to correctly sharpen a chain you need to understand the basic principles of chain design and operation. You can’t just sharpen a chain by eye, you need to know the basic characteristics of the chain and its components.
A chainsaw chain consists of three types of links made of high-alloyed steel:
- Cutters are the main elements of the chain. A distinction is made between right- and left-handed files that are arranged alternately, with their cutting edges above the plane of the bar. Tooth designs incorporate kerf limiters.
- Drive sprockets. are designed to transmit torque from the gasoline engine to the chain through the drive sprocket. This feature extends sprocket life and gives the chain a more stable hold on the bar.
- Coupling. links shanks and cutters of the chain.
One of the main elements of the chain is the cutting tooth, which plunges into the wood and removes chips. The tooth depth stop determines the thickness of the wood chip and limits the depth of penetration into the wood.
Depending on the type of chain, the recommended setting in relation to the limiter is 0.025″ (0.65 mm) or 0.030″ (0.75 mm).
The long life of any chainsaw depends on proper care and use, including the chainring. The good performance of the latter affects the performance of the device and the performance parameters. Premature sharpening can cause some problems with the saw itself. The most common are:
- Crooked cuts;
- Heavy loads on the saw, resulting in increased wear and tear on the parts of the device, and therefore a reduction in the life of the entire device;
- Increased fuel consumption.
If the saw produces fine, dusty chips, and the saw itself sinks into the cut with great force, it means that the target has blunted.
There are other signs of a dull chain:
- The speed of the tool is reduced;
- Uneven and sharp sawdust is produced;
- When too much force is needed to cut through the wood;
- The chain is stretched or has become slack.
A chainsaw chain can quickly become dull for the following reasons:
- If you work with the saw too often;
- When the operator presses hard on the saw while sawing;
- If the chain is made from substandard metal or if the steel is not properly heat-treated;
- When sawing raw or resinous wood frequently;
- When sawing trees with hard wood, such as: oak, birch Karelian, cherry, acacia, elm, ash and others;
- If the chain meets on the way obstacles in the form of sand or stones;
- If the chain is not properly sharpened or has insufficient tension during operation.
The device of all chain saws is similar, so the algorithm of actions when removing the chain will be the same:
- You should first wear cotton gloves to prevent cuts by the cutters.
- Remove the protective cover from the working part of the chain saw and place it on a flat surface on its side.
- Use a socket wrench of the right diameter to unscrew the fixing nuts that hold the housing and the bar, remove the top cover of the housing.
- Now slide the bar all the way down to the sprocket, thus loosening the chain, and remove the operating elements from the mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the chain from the bar.
Using the machine
Experts agree that it is better to use a special electric chain sharpening machine for sharpening chainsaw chains. It can be used to achieve factory precision.
To learn how to properly sharpen the chain from your chainsaw on the machine, you need to do the following
- the saw should be installed in the special hole;
- Loosen the chain clamping screw;
- adjust the level of sharpening based on the table or the condition of the bluntest tooth;
- Consistently process one tooth after another, changing the polarity on the machine;
- or treat the teeth one by one (right, then left) so as not to reverse the polarity;
- After completing the procedure, treat the chainsaw with machine oil.
That’s it, the procedure is complete. Minimum time and maximum precision.
Technical features of the sharpening process
Sharpening operation is complicated by the fact that the teeth have a large number of cutting edges, placed in different planes and with different sharpening angles. When sharpening the teeth you need to make the same amount of movement, with the same amount of pressure. As a result all teeth will receive the same grinding.
And if the saw chain is sharpened more than 4 or 5 times, the depth limiter must be reduced.
If you find a mistake, please highlight text and press CtrlEnter.
Block: 14/14 | Number of characters: 599
Number of blocks: 33 | Total number of characters: 36133Number of used donors: 8Information on each donor: