With what and how to cut a plastic baseboard
The baseboard is an element that gives the finish a finished look. The mating of the walls with the ceiling and floor must be done extremely neatly and beautifully. Choose the right skirting boards, coordinate them with the walls, floor and ceiling, mount the corners. you need to know how to do it.
Plastic baseboards have replaced the wooden baseboards used in previous years. They have a number of advantages. Produced from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a material that is widely used in industry and construction. They can imitate any type of wood externally. They are easy to work with and easy to assemble. They are resistant to mould, mildew and damp, they are easy to clean. They are much cheaper than wooden ones.
Plastic skirting boards come in various shapes and colors. Skirting boards from different manufacturers differ from each other. To each specific product, you need to apply the appropriate technology for its processing.
There are types of plastic skirting, targeted at a particular floor covering. carpet, linoleum or parquet.
Ceiling skirting boards are usually made of dense plastic foam.
How to trim the corners of the ceiling plinth: general rules
Cutting should be carried out on the outer edge of the skirting board, as well as on the inside (when forming the outer corner) or the front side (for the inner joint).
If everything is done correctly, the texture of the eaves will not be disturbed. In the home most often used finishing materials of foam. The technology of joining the elements is as follows.
- Use a protractor to measure the angle between the walls. In the case where it is strictly equal to 90 °, cut the edges to 45 °. The action is performed with both elements.
- If the joints between the ceiling and walls are not straight, the radius of the angle should be divided in half. At the same time, the baguette, which will be attached to the left side, is cut to the right, and the right element, respectively, to the left.
- The edges of the details of the inner corner are cut so that the upper part is shorter than the bottom. The edges of the outer corner are formed differently: their lower part is shorter than the upper one.
- Unlike skirting boards made of foam plastic, the wooden parts need to be precisely adjusted to each other and to adjacent surfaces, applying and trimming along the line of adjacency.
Ceiling plinth (corners): photo demonstrates the trimming and joining techniques of the elements:
How to cut a skirting board without a mortiser
Cut the skirting board for the inside corner
If you don’t have a jigsaw, you can do without one:
- To do this, put the skirting board to the ceiling the way it should stand, and run a trimmer line along the ceiling.
- Then we put the skirting board to the ceiling to the right of the corner and trim the second trimmer line.
- Where the lines meet, make a mark on the skirting board and run a trimmer line from the mark to the bottom corner of the skirting board. This trimmer line will be the trim line for the baseboard.
Marking for trimming the left corner of the skirting board
Do the same with the left-hand corner. Trim strictly along the lines with a sharp knife.Then fit it to the corner and check for any gaps. If there is a gap, carefully trim the corners. Then the skirting board can be glued in place.
Tip. Do not use excessive force when trimming the skirting boards. It can crumple and deform after you glue it in place after the glue dries.
Marking for trimming the right-hand corner of the skirting board without the joiner
Trim the skirting boards for the outer corner
You can easily cut the fillet for the outside corner as well:
- To do this, we will place the ceiling tile as it should stand to the right of the corner. Guide the trimmer line with a pencil across the ceiling beyond the corner.
- Then, attach the fillet to the left of the corner and run the trimmer line across the ceiling until it intersects with the first line.
- On the fillet we do marks in a place of crossing of lines and in that place where there is a corner of a premise.
- Connect the marks with a line on the tape and cut with a sharp knife. The cut should go inward on the fillet.
- Check the corner joint, trim if necessary, and glue the tack strips in place.
It should be noted that for 1 running meter. Count the number of meters in your apartment, multiply by 100. This will be the amount you will save if you do this work with your hands.
Useful tips when cutting a ceiling plinth
There are two things to keep in mind when working with the jigsaw:
The inner corner of the ceiling plinth is formed from two elements: the first is entered on the right in the jig and cut from right to left, the second is entered on the left and cut from left to right.
Before proceeding to cut the baguette with a wire cutter, try to cut a test plank, so as not to make mistakes.
We have become familiar with the question of how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth with a jigsaw, using a template or the method of marking. Of course, you can try trimming “by eye”, but then the result will be appropriate. If you follow our instructions, you will promptly and correctly cut the fillet at the right angle.
Acrylic baths: pros and cons
Stretch ceiling “Clouds”: installation instructions
How to choose a vinyl floor
Insulation of the house with foam glass
Cesspool of concrete rings with their own hands
Dressing room in the bath: peculiarities of arrangement
Visiting the sauna: benefits, harms, rules
Painting the bath: step by step instructions
© 2012-2020 Women’s magazine TutKnow: health, fashion, beauty, relationships, children, and cooking (professional and amateur recipes)
Materials and articles in the magazine may include information intended for users aged over 18, in accordance with Federal Law 36-FZ of 29.12.2010 “On protection of children from information harmful to their health and development. 18.
All materials on the site tutknow.The materials published on this site are for informational purposes only and not as a recommendation.
All rights to the information and text materials published on this resource belong to the authors and are protected by copyright and related rights.Full copying of materials from this site is prohibited! If quoted in part. a hyperlink to tutknow.The site is obligatory and not blocked from indexation.
All photos owned by Tutknow.chains and chains for chain saws, must be accompanied by an active hyperlink to our site. Other free-use photos.
The first way. with the help of a chisel
A professional diagonal plane with a rotary hacksaw
The hacksaw is usually in the form of a tray with vertical holes for the hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool, designed for cutting wooden parts at 90° and 45° angles. There are types of such a device and for professional work, with a rotating mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth
Ceiling corners are divided into interior and exterior, the method of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a plier with your own hands. Three pieces of plywood or planks of equal size are needed for this tool. Firstly, they are applied in the form of an inverted “U” and make a marking of the corners. Then according to the markings cut notches under the hacksaw almost to the bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Make correct measurements.
- We set the baseboard plinth in the notch so that this position coincides with the placement on the ceiling exactly.
- The skirting board must be pressed tightly against the opposite wall of the joiner. Hold and press down with your free hand.
- Position the hacksaw at a 45° angle into the saw blade and cut the piece.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, polystyrene foam) use a metal hacksaw or a regular construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with straight edges.
- Measuring the length of the baseboard from the nearest wall to the outside corner, leaving a trimmer line on the underside with a pencil, marking the desired length. Take into account that the edge (its upper part) should protrude a little bit outside.
- The baseboard is moved into a notch and cut.
- The adjacent strip should also be measured to a reserve and cut in mirror reflection to the first part.
Trying on a ceiling plinth: the joining of parts must be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and the joints are uneven, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to perfect the joint.
The main secret of cutting
The inside corner of a ceiling plinth. that’s the key to everything. Professionals know that the ceiling plinth is cut on the outer edges and the front side (aka inside). To cut the ceiling blanks was more convenient, use a wire cutter. It is extremely important to choose a good saw that will cut corners quickly and accurately. You can take an ordinary hacksaw for metal.
Properly trimmed ceiling skirting is not possible without the right choice of materials. If the walls in the apartment is not flat enough, to dock in the corners is suitable material smaller. Because it is quite flexible, the corners on the ceiling skirting boards are more accurate. How to cut a large size ceiling plinth? The task is simplified when the walls are perfectly flat.
The next point is how to cut the skirting board depending on its location. The rule is very simple: the left one is always applied to the left side, and the right one. to the right side. If you mix up the order of how to cut the ceiling plinth, then the joint will be a real problem.
Working with foam plastic is the easiest. Let’s look at how to cut the ceiling plinth according to all the rules:
- Having measured the corners of the walls, begin the work. If they are perfectly flat and are ninety degrees, you are lucky. you only need to cut a corner of 45 degrees. The principle of working with the 2nd segment is exactly the same;
- And how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth on the curved joints? The radius of the corner between the ceiling covering and the walls is divided by 2;
- Once again, focus on how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. Baguette for gluing on the left side has a characteristic cut on the right, but the right-handed tack is cut on the left;
- Important question: how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth inside and outside? The bottom edge always protrudes over the top edge, the opposite is true for the outer corner. The pliable polystyrene foam and soft texture do the job. fitting such accessories is much easier. You only have to bother with wooden or plastic parts;
- When the inner and outer corners of the ceiling plinth are ready, the strips are adjusted to the ceiling. They will need to be trimmed according to the direction of adjacency to the surface;
- If the rough docking was successful, the fillet is glued or screwed to the wall and ceiling. The joints are securely sealed.
Ways to get a nice corner
The most difficult area in the design of the ceiling surface frieze are the corner areas. If you just cut the skirting at the right angle, ugly gaps will remain. To achieve a tight fit of the two adjacent products, it is also necessary to trim their edges. There are several ways to do this.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 363
Trimming a corner with a faux chisel
The third way to trim the corner of the baseboard is not quite usual. using a kind of faux-jewel. You can make such a “tool” in two ways.
The first one is to draw a jig. You can use plain heavy paper or cardboard: draw two parallel lines on the sheet and, using a protractor or a simple angle, set off the angles with the desired degree. The corner is cut in much the same way as in the case of the carpentry plank: put a skirting board to the “tool”, make the necessary marks and on them perform the cut.
The second method is to make a prototype of a crosscut out of three wooden boards by joining them in the shape of an oblong letter “U” and notching them in 45 and 90 degrees. To mark the angles you can use the same protractor.
Chisel made of wooden planks
Cutting the corners of the skirting without a wire cutter, it is very important not to miscalculate with the length of the plank and directly to the degree of notch. To avoid mistakes, at first it is better to cut blanks 10 cm long, then try on the dry to the ceiling, and only after that adjust until you get the desired result. In addition, let’s not forget that not all bathrooms have ideal angles of 90 degrees. without adjusting products still can not do.
Advice. Fix the ceiling plinth trim to the ceiling only after adjusting to her corner of the next baseboard blanks. Cuts are better to try on the table, not under the ceiling itself. it will take more time, but the cut lines will be more accurate.
Thus, we have several ways of trimming the ceiling plinth: with a joiner’s chisel, without a chisel, using a kind of false chisel. Whatever option you choose to make corners, it is important to do everything accurately and precisely. only then will you get a really effective tool for the final design of the ceiling, thereby making the interior of your bathroom aesthetically complete.