How to coil a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a spool, on which the cord is wound. In total, there are 3 types of heads:
- Manual. Allows cord (trimmer line) to be extended manually after engine has completely stopped.
- Semi-automatic. Using this head is easy and comfortable. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches the maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The filament is extended by means of centrifugal force and the wearer has only to trim the line with the cutter.
- Automatic. The fishing line for the trimmer is fed after the engine speed is reduced. Such a head turns out to be convenient in cases where there is a need to carry out prolonged work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid wear and tear of the cord.
Now to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer bobbin, you should pay attention to the choice of cord thread.
How to tuck the line into the trimmer for grass trimmer: some simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, people have many opportunities to reduce manual labor. Such innovations include the grass trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing the grass and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. A trimmer line is used as a cutting tool in a trimmer. It is highly tensioned and thus mows grass at almost any height. Controlling an electric tool is easy enough, but the problem occurs when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone can figure out how to tuck the line into the trimmer for grass. Although it is a simple operation, but a person who encounters this task for the first time, it is not always clear how to properly wind it on the spool. The more so that the manual sometimes does not specify information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line for the trimmer.
When you understand how to change the cutting material, further use and care of the electric trimmer will be much easier. To wind the line for the grass trimmer trimmer, you should perform several operations, namely:
- Unscrew the head by turning the drum to the right. You will have in your hands a head with the remains of the old thread. Open it with a screwdriver or squeeze the lock and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. Carry out this operation carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the remaining material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. In the middle of the spool there is a hole in which to insert the material. There’s also an arrow on there to indicate the direction to wind up the line for the grass trimmer. It is important to take into account. If the spool has two holes, then half of the line for the grass trimmer should be tucked in one direction, and the other. in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Reassemble the reel, put the spring and washers in place. Then, holding the spool, tuck the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the head. Then put the head in place, pulling the cutting material taut.
As a rule, you need to change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer once for the whole season. However, if the mowing area and height of the grass is large, this consumable will have to be installed more often. If you need to tuck the line for trimmer in the trimmer for grass TM “Makita” or other manufacturer, you can buy it in the online store “Toolparts”.
Inserting a new line
Always switch off the motor and pull out the mains plug before renewing the filament! Press the lock (B/1) and turn the cover (B/2) as far as it will go (the nose on the cover (B/3) must be in the middle of the lock) Remove the cover (B/2) from the housing (B/4) Remove the spool (B/5) from the housing and remove any old thread.
How to wind a trimmer line onto a grass trimmer reel
Threading the line into the spool of the tool is not at first sight a simple matter. But just familiarize yourself with the process and you will be able to do all the necessary steps without any further difficulty.
To learn how to tuck fishing line into a grass trimmer, it’s worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the features of different types of trimmer reels, so it applies to any tool.
- Reel with a fishing line is the lower extreme part of the grass trimmer. First of all, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. To do this you need to fix the rod (or the shaft) on which the spool is mounted. It must be locked so that it cannot be unscrewed. This is easiest to do, placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of mortar (preferably metal). When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage, you need to remove the head bobbin, which is attached to a line for a trimmer. To do this you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the latch on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the lock is found, it is necessary to press it firmly. Holding the latch pressed, it is necessary to turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and take out the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It should be temporarily set aside so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the line winding it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are any remnants of the old fishing line, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new skein.
- Measure and cut off six (maximum seven) meters of new line from the pre-prepared reel. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, actually begins the key stage, which is the subject of this article.
First method of winding the line
The necessary amount of line has been cut. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it will be winded on the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. Generally they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the spool is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. In the first type the separating edge is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
In the second type, on the other hand, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on both sides. Depending on the type of bobbin, you will need to know how to wind it depending on which of the above mentioned types the bobbin is made.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then the place of the bend has to be inserted into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool, the other half should be at the bottom.
- Now you can directly start winding. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the thread so that it is not intertwined and the upper half is winded to the top of the spool and the lower half to the bottom of the spool. At each half, about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- At the top edge of the bobbin there are small notches (or, in other words, grooves) to fix consumables. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these slots so that they lock one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin need to be slipped into the appropriate holes in the grass trimmer head.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. Now you just need to assemble the head as a whole. The spring is gently placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- Pull the loose ends of the thread outward more. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to remove them from the slots of the bobbin. Make sure the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads out a little. they should come out unobstructed through the holes in the head.
- Pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
Process completed. the line for the trimmer is tucked into the spool. The grass trimmer is now ready for use.
The second way of winding
- Prepared earlier a section of a length of six meters, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut. In this way two pieces of equal length are obtained.
- At one end of each piece you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it so briefly that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then only one length is required. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole in the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key step, the winding. The direction in which it must be wound is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the upper part of the spool. There is no need to wind thread up to the end. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- There are small notches (called grooves) in the upper edge of the spool to fix the consumable material. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The upper part of the bobbin is threaded. Now do the same procedure with the lower part. Take the second length of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And at this section also about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted in the recess opposite to that in which the end of the first segment is inserted.
- Pay attention to the arrows, in this direction we will wind. In my example, they go counterclockwise. It means and winding line for the trimmer on the spool, I will be counterclockwise;
- Make sure the spring inside the spool is intact and resilient;
- Using the slots on the spool, you can and should quickly insert the line for the trimmer. I take 1 meter and fold it in half;
- Wind the line for the trimmer on the spool in the right direction (don’t forget to check on the surface of the spool). It is necessary that it fits as tightly as possible;
- Feed the ends of the fishing line through the holes on the spool. From personal experience I would say that it is easier and better to do this before we close the top of the spring;
- Make sure that all parts of the spool are in place and the line for the trimmer is securely attached inside the structure;
- Close the lid tightly until you hear a “click”;
- Reattach the spool back to the tool.
Done! The hardest part of the whole process. Wrap the line on the spool of the trimmer, because the line always tends to slip out of your fingers.
Finally, I would like to add that you should be careful in choosing the thickness of fishing line, which you will “tuck” into your trimmer for grass. I advise to buy a thicker line for trimmer, then it will last longer and wear out more slowly.
Nikita Khlintsov. Foresta gardening technology specialist.
Posted by DecorateMe. Updated June 23, 2021.
How to fill a grass trimmer reel step by step
To properly wind the line for the trimmer for grass trimmer, the main thing is to follow the steps of replacement and safety rules.
Before you disassemble your electric grass trimmer, you need to unplug it. Trimmer head on any tool consists of a shroud, a cover and a bobbin with fishing line. The method of removing it depends on the design of the grass trimmer head:
- Small devices with a spool on the bottom usually have keys on the sides of the spool. If you press them at the same time, the upper part of the spool will detach along with the thread, and the lower part will remain on the tool.
- To wind the line for the trimmer on the reel of the grass trimmer with a curved rod, you should find a special wing nut on the reel. In these models, the removal of the head is done by holding the bobbin and simultaneously turning the wing nut counterclockwise. Once the nut is unscrewed, you can remove the entire spool.
- If the gasoline or electric grass trimmer has a blade installation function, you will need a screwdriver to disassemble it. To remove the head, you must find a hole under the bobbin, insert a screwdriver into it, and then scroll the spool clockwise and remove it from the grass scythe.
It is important to mention that the cord is placed on the bobbin, which is located inside the head. To get it out, you will need to disassemble the head. Traditionally there is a special lock on the sword head which by pushing it down allows access to the fishing line. To remove the bobbin press the ratchet catch, hold it with one hand and twist the cover of the head clockwise.
Some trimmers do not have a clip, so you have to disassemble the trimmer body. When disassembling the machine it is important to remember the order in which you removed all the head elements, so that after replacing the fishing line you can assemble it in the same order, but in reverse order.
The brushcutter heads may differ in design, so the replacement of the line on an electric trimmer or its gasoline equivalent is carried out with this in mind. If the head has a separating rim, the filament is changed as follows:
- Measure the necessary amount of fishing line, fold it in half, and then secure it with the fold in the special groove. If there is no such groove, you will need to cut the cord into two halves and hook the ends of each half to the holders that the manufacturer provides at the top and bottom of the bobbin between the board.
- Before starting to reel in the line, determine in which direction the line will be reeled. Usually the direction can be seen as an arrow on the spool.
- The ends of the cords are inserted in the chute between the beads and begin to turn the spool so that the cords are wound in the direction of the arrow. Lay one half of the line and the other half in the same direction.
- When threading the line into the grass trimmer spool, the free ends of the line must be pulled through the holes on the bobbin after the spool is wound. lay them perpendicular to one another.
If the spool has no separating board, the line is cut in two halves and placed in the holes at the top of the spool. The two pieces of cord are wound around the arrow, making sure they do not cross. After winding, the free edges of the line are put on each side of the reel, and if there are slots in it, they are fastened.
The above instructions apply to trimmer heads with 2 tendrils. There are other winding options. If you need to find out how to tuck the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer, which is equipped with a head with one tendril, note that the process is similar, but the line is not folded in half. If there are four tendrils, four pieces of thread are used, which are placed one after the other in the holes in the head.
The bobbin is placed in the head, the fishing line is removed from the side blades and pulled up. Next, the cord is tightly secured and the cover is closed. The last action will be the installation of the spool on the scythe and pulling the line. so that when trimming plants, it does not come into contact with the protective cover.
If you know how to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer, you can ensure its full and high-quality work. Timely replacement of the cord guarantees a smooth cut and a long tool life.
Each trimmer manufacturer recommends a line for trimmer, or cord, of a certain diameter. a spool is made for it. It can be from 1.2 to 4mm: check the manual to see what size fishing line is acceptable for your tool. For example, the maximum value for many trimmers is 3 mm (recommended for hard grass). a thicker cord cannot be installed. For mowing young, soft vegetation, a thin line for the trimmer, with a diameter of 1.2. 1.6 mm, is suitable. Also when choosing, pay attention to the cord structure: round cord is the strongest and suitable for coarse grass, curly cord for soft grass, twisted or notched cord for thinner stems. Depending on what kind of grass grows on the site. a lawn or weeds, buy the appropriate supplies. Coil length can vary from several tens to several hundred meters, and its price depends on this. It should be based on the amount of work to be done. If you use a grass trimmer in a private household, there is no need to buy a reel of more than 100 m.
Good to know! Buy only brand-name trimmer fishing line recommended by the grass trimmer manufacturer. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut the grass perfectly and not wear out so quickly.
For one piece of fishing line in the bobbin, you need a length of 2 to 4 m. it all depends on its thickness and the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you wind more cord, the line will not move smoothly and you may have trouble pulling the new ends out while working. Unwind the desired amount and cut with a knife.
Useful tip: leave the cord in water for about 30 minutes so that it becomes more elastic and durable.
To insert the trimmer line into the trimmer head, you must remove it from the tool. Depending on the design, this can be done by pushing in the catches or unscrewing the knob. Pay attention to the direction of the thread. right or left. and depending on this turn the drum. Usually the direction of rotation is indicated by an arrow on the trimmer head body. It is recommended that you wear gloves for this operation. your fingers will not slip and your hands will not get dirty.
Disassembling the mowing head
Trimmer line is wound on a bobbin, which is hidden in the body of the trimmer head. To get to it you need to disassemble the element. The housing has retaining clips and is easy to remove by pressing them. Sometimes disassembly is performed by unscrewing the body.
Be careful! Note the order in which the elements are installed, the way the spring and the fixing screw are positioned inside the head. Accurately stack all parts in one place so that nothing gets lost and no problems arise during reassembly.
Trimmer heads are differentiated by construction, type of spool and how the line is pulled. When you take apart the housing, you will see the bobbin and determine what type it belongs to. One model has a separating strip in the centre of the spool, which holds each end of the line at the top and bottom of the spool. If not, the line is wound solidly. Use the table below to make the process a little easier to understand.
Reeling line on various types of spools
With separating bead
Without a separating bead
We described how to wind the line for the trimmer into the spool of a grass trimmer with two tendrils. this is the most common. But there are other ways. For example, if the mowing head has only one bar, the line is wound without folding the trimmer line. Rotate in the direction indicated on the body of the bobbin, and the free end of the cord is temporarily fixed in the slot on the body. For trimmers with four tendrils the consumables are four short pieces that are inserted one by one into the holes of the already assembled head.
Useful tip: when winding the line carefully, do not overtighten it so that it does not sit very tight in the reel. It is necessary to ensure its free movement for subsequent pulling.
Assembling the trimmer head
After the line for the trimmer is wound on the bobbin, it is necessary to assemble the body. Position the spool so that the line ends can be pulled into the output holes of the trimmer head. The slots in the bobbin, where they were temporarily inserted, will prevent them from slipping out. If there are no such slots, hold the ends with your fingers when placing the spool in the housing. After pulling the loose ends into the exit holes, close the cover and secure it with latches or screws. Set the mowing head on the grass trimmer and pull the line ends to the correct length so that they don’t touch the blade guard when working. Done! You can get to work!
Thus, theoretically knowing the algorithm of line replacement in the trimmer head, you can easily and quickly cope with this task. The main thing is to take your time and carefully inspect the construction of the bobbin before the first change. If there are any difficulties with disassembly of the body, you can always refer to the instruction manual, where the fixing mechanisms are necessarily indicated. This will help to avoid breakage due to carelessness. You can buy a line for your trimmer and other trimmer consumables at our online store.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind the line for the trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for veteran trimmers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- The cover should be installed until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one latch does not snap, then when starting the tool, the drum can jump out and injure a person
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong retraction, and in an amount greater than can be inserted in its place. It is better not to unwind the rig than to have more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own a tool with not two lines of fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After you have replaced the material, you should preliminarily check the serviceability of the tool, and only afterwards proceed to mowing the grass. If it is not checked beforehand, the fishing line can uncoil and injure a person
Триммер электрический///установка лески. Electric trimmer/ / / fishing line installation
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material so you don’t get injured when working with chain saws, trimmers, and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after replacing the new material, the normal material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials do not last as long, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or blades are available for this purpose.