How to choose a plow for a power tiller, review of models and prices
Setting up a plow is a real art. For more than a thousand years agrarians have begun plowing with the adjustment of this machine. The plow‘s job is to turn over the top layer of soil, stir it up, and create favorable conditions for plant growth. This is a basic agricultural task that prepares the soil for sowing, making it fertile. Plowing is done once a year, and the subsequent cultivation of the land is called harrowing.
Agricultural equipment is used for plowing: cultivators, motor blocks and tractors. Plow is connected to equipment, which makes the plowing. A single-axle tractor is more often used for work in country houses and homesteads.
The most important thing when plowing is to set up the plow correctly. If the alignment is incorrect, then the technique will start to slip, plunge into the ground, and in the soil itself will be violated biochemical processes that are necessary for plant growth.
Advantages of homemade ploughs
Plow with skimmer for power tiller can be aggregated with the device of required power, providing full structural and technical compatibility.
- the accuracy of calculations with the determination of the optimal angle of inclination;
- obvious economic benefit, since making a unit with your own hands is cheaper than buying a factory model;
- Assurance in quality of materials and assembly.
A disc plough makes for productive field work. It works well on heavy soils with high concentrations of weeds.
By the way, the agricultural heritage of plow horses has also survived to this day through annual competitive competitions in many countries. Plow enthusiasts compete in categories including antique plow, cave plow, two-wheeled plow, and three-wheeled plow-a plow with a cart behind it so the LANDER can ride.
Using plow horses as traction power
Competitors are evaluated by straightness and quality of their rows, the amount of soil and time spent on plowing this or that area.
Important. Tractors today are classified by their “horsepower”. or how many horses it would take to achieve the same power.
For centuries, oxen, with their sturdy build and malleable disposition, have been used as plowing animals. This began to change after a horse collar was invented in China in the 4th century, which distributed the weight of the load on the chest and bones of the horse. Previous versions centered the weight on the neck, and the animals simply suffocated under the weight. With the use of the new collar, horses gradually began to replace oxen in plowing. Now, when crossing roots or rough sod and encountered stones the animal can push and pull the plough with effort without damaging its health.
Today the horse-drawn plough is still relevant, but in addition to horses it harnesses power tillers, mini-tractors and other machines.
Important. Read about other equipment for the backyard in our article.
Iron Horse Plowing Competition
Important. For convenience and ease of movement, the plow is augmented with one or two wheels.
The plow for the power tiller is an indispensable device, whose design has three planes. One is mouldboard and located at the front, one is horizontal and one is vertical. If you take it off and place it on a table, with one part leaning against the wall, the horizontal will coincide with the surface of the table, and the vertical with the wall.
It is very important to consider the size of the lower cutting edge, which is 10-20 millimeters from the plane that is horizontal. A good product has the cutting edge on the left side in line with the same edge on the mouldboard.
The distance of the protrusion of both is 1 centimeter from the end of the vertical surface. There must be no gap between the share and the mouldboard, and they must shine through with polish.
When the plough has been finished, it must be cleaned. The ground is removed and oiled. This is the only way to protect the metal surface from corrosion. The height of the plough leg and, in general, the dimensions should be paid special attention to, because the quality of the work done depends on them. The rear side of the coulter must be straight and the angle between it and the mounting surface must be 20 degrees.
How to convert the finished plough?
The finished plough can always be reworked as needed. For example, a simple horse version can easily be changed to a motorized one. Almost all horse-drawn plows are massive because of the heavy mouldboard. If such an element is mounted on a single-axle tractor without prior modification, the ground simply will not be thrown. To change the horse plough into a power plough, you need to do the following steps.
- To reassemble the mouldboard. For it a detailed drawing is prepared in advance. According to the scheme cut out the mouldboard from steel workpiece. It is advisable to prepare a cardboard template.
- Shape the steel into the required shape.
- Remove the horse blade and fix a part made by your own hands in its place.
- Remove the handles that were on a vertically oriented axis.
- Fix the metal fasteners in their place. Through them the plough is attached to the motor vehicle.
If during field “tests” it suddenly becomes clear that the implement does not recline well, the ploughshare can be carefully bent to enable it to break more easily into the soil.
The rotary plough is widely regarded as one of the most functional and practical. This design is an excellent helper for ploughing, because it can cover a large enough area. Another good thing about this plough is that it doesn’t waste any time after each approach. You will only need to turn the plough and move in the opposite direction. The productivity of the technique will increase many times over. The main actions are made in the same way as with the rotary mechanism, but in this case the cutting elements should be below the flail (at least 2 cm).
The construction can be divided into several basic steps.
- Prepare a good mouldboard in the shape of a cylinder. Only do it according to the drawing. Parts are made of alloyed metal. It is important to follow the blueprint when making the design yourself.
- Ploughshare is set up. Wedges are inserted into the iron plate (3 mm) at a 45 degree angle.
- Connect ploughshare with board on the side. Be sure to make sure that the blade of the ploughshare is just below the shield itself (1 cm, no more).
- The moldboard is attached to the plowshare.
- To the metal tubing, which serves as a base, the working half with the share is welded with a welding machine. On the opposite side are the fasteners for the machine.
- When ready, the axle and wheels can be welded in its lower half.
It is also possible to make a disc plough for machinery. Such a model is assembled from parts:
The discs can be taken from an old planter, if you have one in your arsenal. Install these elements at an angle to increase productivity. Hook the share bar to the tool through the hitch bracket. T-track from plow screwed on with bolts and stopper. At high speed the mouldboard might get bogged down, so you have to work only at low speed or with twin wheels.
How to modify a ready-made plough?
if necessary, the finished plough can always be reshaped. For example, a simple horse-drawn version can easily be converted to a power plow. Almost all horse-drawn plows feature an imposing weight due to the heavy mouldboard. If such element is installed on a single-axle tractor without preliminary modification, the earth will simply not be thrown. To convert a horse-drawn plough to a power plough, follow certain steps.
- Make a mouldboard. Prepare a detailed drawing beforehand. Based on the diagram, cut the mouldboard from a steel billet. It is desirable to prepare a cardboard template for this.
- Shape the steel into the desired shape.
- Remove the horse blade and fix in its place a part made with their own hands.
- Remove handles that were on a vertically oriented axis.
- Instead, metal fasteners are fixed. Through them the plough is attached to motor vehicles.
If in the course of “tests” in the field suddenly it turns out that the device does not recline the soil very well, you can carefully bend the ploughshare so that it can more deeply cut into the soil.
The pivot type plough is rightly considered one of the most functional and practical. Such a design is an excellent helper for plowing land on a plot, because it can cover a fairly large area. Another good thing about the plough is that it dispenses with time-wasting ploughing after each approach. You only have to turn the plough and reverse direction. The productivity of equipment will increase many times over. The main actions are performed in the same way as with the rotary mechanism, but in this case the cutting elements should be below the blade (at least 2 cm).
The construction can be divided into a few basic steps.
- Prepare a good mouldboard in the shape of a cylinder. This should only be done according to the drawing. The part is made of alloyed metal. It is important to follow a blueprint if making the design yourself.
- Align coulter. Insert wedges into the iron plate (3 mm) with an angle of 45 degrees.
- Connect the coulter to the shield on the side. Always make sure that the blade is positioned slightly lower than the board (1 cm maximum).
- Connect the mouldboard to the coulter.
- To the metal pipe, which serves as a base, working half with a share, is welded with a welding machine. On the opposite side is the attachment to the machine.
- When the plough is ready, the axle and wheels can be welded in its lower half.
It is possible to make a disc plough for machinery. Such a model is assembled from parts:
The discs for the device can be taken from an old “seeder”, if it is in the arsenal. Mount these elements at an angle for more efficient operation. Hiller can be attached to the machine via the hitch bracket. Screw the T-handle from the plow to the plow with bolts and stopper. At an impressive speed, the plow may become slippery, so you will have to work only at low speeds or with twin wheels.
Useful tips and tricks
If you have decided to make a good plough for your power tiller with your own hands, then you should take into account some useful recommendations from experienced craftsmen.
- If a two tine plough is planned, remember that it must have two ploughshares. This device can be used for plowing different types of soil. This is the best piece for working with stagnant soil.
- When making a pivot plow, it’s very important to make sure the edges of the mouldboard and the ploughshare match. These elements are connected as tightly and firmly as possible. There must be no gaps or visible slots.
- After use, the plough should be cleaned of any dirt and clogged particles. Only if this rule is followed can we talk about the durability of the structure and its durability. And the cutting plate doesn’t have to be resharpened all the time.
- It’s much easier to mount it on the tractor if you mount it on a single axle tractor. It can be made of special supports, but also of bricks or stones/planks.
- Special attention is given to the plough that has already been built. If there is only one bolted connection and only one hole, there is no way to adjust it.
- The plough, which has a support wheel, should preferably be assembled on a steel plate. All surfaces will need to be cleaned and polished. Make the rear surface of the welded ploughshare as flat as possible.
- Popular rotary types of plows are mostly made with disc mechanisms, but there are also drum, shovel and auger copies. Such designs are simply indispensable for the incorporation of fertilizers and weed control.
- For independent work it is desirable to use only high-quality locksmith tools. Know how to work with them. At least minimal experience is required.
- Do not forget to treat the working edge of the manufactured plough from time to time. So it will work more effectively.
- When making a plow for a motor-block independently, it is important to strictly adhere to the chosen technology and drawn drawings. The slightest mistake or omission, which may seem insignificant, can lead to poor-quality construction. Then it will require additional work.
If there are doubts that you will be able to assemble the plough yourself, it is better not to take the risk and buy a ready-made version. Fortunately, many companies offer quality and durable ploughs at various prices. You can buy them in specialized stores or order them online.
See the following video on how to set up a plow for a power tiller.
The plough to the power tiller is a useful device that allows you to plough the soil well, saving you time and effort. With simple guidelines and diagrams, you can install and adjust the plow yourself, or make it out of the materials at hand.
How to make a plow for a motor-block with your own hands from a horse?
Equestrian ploughs, compared to other types of mounted implements, can be made completely of wood. The only element made of metal can be the ploughshare.
Step-by-step instructions on how to independently make a horse plow for plowing the land are given below:
- Handles are made of two wooden bars, the thickness of which is about 10 centimeters. The upper part of the handles is supplemented by rubberized pads;
- The handles are connected at right angles, so it will be more convenient to hold on to them with two hands;
- The lower parts of the elements are connected by self-tapping screws;
- A bar with a thickness of 20 centimeters should be bent so that its ends are positioned parallel;
- The lower end of the bar is attached to the ploughshare;
- The upper end is mounted on the plow’s attachment to the power tiller. You can use small-sized wooden bars to make it;
- A double handle is installed in the middle of the attachment.
The structure of the horse plow is very simple, but highly effective. It should not be used when working wet ground, so as not to break the wooden parts.
The way of making a plough for a motor-block can be adjusted to one’s own needs. Each homemade canopy can be used with units of popular brands Neva, MB-1 and MB-2, MTZ, Mole, and Salyut.