Sharpening a chainsaw chain with your own hands. features and methods
If your chainsaw has a dull chain, it will reduce your productivity. You will make a lot of effort, but you will not get a normal sawing. But the risk of injury increases considerably if you use a chain saw with a bad chain. There are several ways out of this situation. You can buy a new chain, you can sharpen it in a special service or do it with your own hands. In the latter case, sharpening your chainsaw chain will cost you free of charge.
If you use chain saws for extended periods of time and use them intensively, then you have run into the problem of worn-out saw chain teeth. Once you hit a patch of sand or soil, the teeth of the chain become less sharp, and the cutting quality suffers. Taking the chain saw to a sharpening machine every time would interrupt the sawing operation. It is much faster to learn how to properly sharpen a chain saw chain yourself.
The complicated shape of the teeth makes sharpening not the easiest process, so before you start, you need to learn about the ways and peculiarities of sharpening a saw chain.
In order to give your saw teeth optimal cutting properties you need to know what parts make up the chain and the links.
The chain teeth have a complex geometry with different angles and inclinations, with a cutting plane and a sawing depth limiter. The process involves sharpening each tooth of the chain left and right.
Mechanics of sawing, how a chain saw works
The way the teeth work is similar to that of a planer. they plan wood. Depth stop allows you to adjust the plunge cut into the wood. The upper blade lifts the shavings from the base of the kerf, and the end blade. pulls it to the side. The tooth blade tapers in the back to form an end angle blade. This angle allows you to cut the shavings from the side.
Saw chains are specially marked for easy sharpening and wear monitoring:
- Sharpening angle. Mark the upper blade to determine the correct angle and the minimum length of the tooth. When reaching the marking. chain is worth replacing.
- Front Corner. for proper tooth angle and for minimum tooth length.
- Depth stop. the correct angle for the restoration is marked; the restoration must run parallel to the marking line.
- The base of the tooth is marked to control the wear of the working surface of the cutting teeth. It is also an indicator of normal operation. if wear and tear occurs parallel to the marking.
Sharpening chain with a chain sharpening machine
Buying a chainsaw or an electric equivalent is a good step towards facilitating manual labor in the homestead. As long as the device is new, the owner enjoys the quality of its work, without thinking about the upcoming maintenance and repairs. Infrequent use keeps the gearbox and engine mechanisms intact, but it is necessary to change the spark plugs, and the most unpleasant procedure is sharpening the chain cutter. Chainsaw chain sharpening on the sharpening machine will be the best option. It is enough to order the service 8-10 times for full reimbursement of the cost of a special device. It will continue to serve for years to come, saving time on visits to outside handymen. No guarantee of high quality workmanship. With time comes understanding, and sharpening yourself can be as good as the factory processing.
These devices offer a wide range of advantages over manual sharpening with a file and vise:
- No danger of damaging your fingers. You have to work with sharp edges, it’s uncomfortable to hold the tool in your hands, constantly twisting at different angles. Dozens of deep cuts are possible after sharpening in a makeshift operation.
- Chainsaw chain sharpening machine allows extremely precise setting of the cutting surface angle, making double-sided and single-sided flats. It is impossible to do this manually, and the difference between the angles on the different teeth will lead to misalignments that severely affect gears at high angular rotation speeds.
- Chains can be sharpened almost to zero while maintaining their performance. The number of treatments increases dramatically, saving expensive spare parts. The chain sharpening machine is capable of refining the teeth to the limit.
- The possibility of working with complex shapes is an additional advantage. Manufacturers can complicate the geometry to motivate an inept buyer to buy after losing a sharp edge. The machine can be used to sharpen all kinds of edges, even crescent and wave-shaped, polygonal and planar ones.
- Having a special device greatly speeds up the process. It is enough to adjust it to a certain angle, and then simply move the teeth. It takes more time, concentration, and a lot of physical effort to do it by hand. This is a great relief from manual labor.
- Some machine tools can sharpen not only chain saws, but any tool. Hoes, shovels, axes, knives, drills, chisels, planer blades and other products of tool steel alloys.
To work it is enough to see a video of sharpening a chain with a chain sharpening machine. This is an easy to use equipment that does not require special knowledge and skills. It is enough to have a desire to understand for 1-2 hours, and then immediately start the operation. There are manual type models, they are suitable for processing in the field. If there is space for a stationary installation, it is better to buy a modification with an electric motor.
Where to buy such a device
Sharpening machines for chains can be bought in the ELEKTRO RYAD online store right now. These are brand-name devices that have proven themselves in real-life tests and have received unequivocally positive reviews from amateurs and professionals. Direct supplies from the manufacturer allow you to avoid counterfeit and unreasonable markups. All equipment goes through numerous tests before it is sent to a customer. Buyers get only workable specimens without defects. Delivery is possible in any city and region of Ukraine.
How to correctly sharpen a chainsaw chain with your own hands. Step by step instructions
In order to properly sharpen your chainsaw, you need to follow some rules. Knowing how to correctly remove and fix the chain is one of the important factors for a successful sharpening.
What you need for sharpening a saw at home
The chain saw chain can be sharpened either manually or with a sharpening machine. Most people carry out this procedure manually.
However, professionals advise against doing this very often, as it can lead to rapid wear. But there are still times when you need to sharpen your saw by hand.
For this purpose, they sell special devices for sharpening chainsaws chains, which include:
A template is needed to adjust the depth stop being sharpened. A hook is designed to remove dust and sawdust from the chain. All gardeners will need such a chainsaw chain sharpening kit.
While you’re working, the handpiece is positioned on the tooth you’re sharpening. A flat file is used to work with a depth stop.
- In manual sharpening, the teeth are milled unevenly, which leads to imbalance in the work;
- Old chains wear out over time and sharpening by hand becomes almost impossible;
- the cutting edge can lose its normal shape;
- there is a risk of breaking the chain over time.
How to sharpen your own chainsaw teeth for less than 40
There is also a third way to sharpen the chain saw chain. This method is fairly new and probably the easiest. It is enough to buy a special wheel for sharpening chainsaw chains together with a special chain. This is a small device that is put on the end of the bar and secured in a stationary position. In the middle of it is an emery stone, which will sharpen your chain while you just press the button.
You put the stone with its concave side facing the bar. There are links on the chain that grind the stone and keep the oil out of the saw. How to sharpen the chain with your own hands by this method, you can watch on video.
Removing the chain from a chainsaw
To remove the chain from the chainsaw, first you need to pull the protective shield. As soon as you hear a clicking sound, get a screwdriver and loosen the chain. After that we unscrew the nut with a spanner and remove the bar and the chain. There’s nothing complicated about this procedure, except you have to tension the chain correctly when you put it back on. if you overtighten it, there’s a chance of breaking. And if it’s not properly tightened, the chain can come right off the bar.
But you also need to know how to tension it correctly. After you put the chain on the bar and put everything together, make sure it fits snugly at the bottom of the bar. A properly tensioned chain should come off the bottom of the bar when you pull it by hand 3 to 5 mm.
How to fix and sharpen the chain at home
To understand how to properly sharpen the chain of a chainsaw with a file, and learn to do it at home, you need to adhere to the following step-by-step instructions. First of all you need to get the chain tightened properly. There are several methods of securing. The first method is to fix the tire in a vise. this is the most correct method.
This way you can be sure that the chain will remain stationary. But there is a second method. You can simply sit back, fix the saw between your legs at knee level and start sharpening. The most important thing is that the lower part of the bar must not be lower than your knees.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to sharpen a chainsaw chain with a file:
- Hold the chain saw bar so that it is in a stationary position.
- Find the right round file and file holder so the file tip doesn’t protrude more than 20% of the way to sharpen the cutting edge.
- Mark where you want to start sharpening so you don’t have to go a second round.
- When sharpening, pull the file in one direction only, and rotate it regularly around its axis to ensure even wear.
- If necessary, sharpen the depth stop with a flat file.
And it’s important to consider the chain‘s sharpening angle. The angle of the file in the vertical plane with respect to the chain should be 90º and in the horizontal plane 30º or 10º, depending on saw parameters (saws that are designed for longitudinal cutting of logs should be sharpened at 10º). A file holder will help you hold the saw blade at the right angle and in the right position.
Important! If you see that the depth of sharpening is already deep enough, it is best to change the chain to a new one in order to avoid breaking it in the process.
If you or your neighbor has a chain sharpening machine you’re in luck. With this sharpening machine you can sharpen your saw quickly, accurately and without fuss. Here is an approximate order of sharpening on the machine:
- Slightly loosen the chain on the chainsaw by twisting the side screw with a screwdriver.
- After that you have to put the chain saw in the machine so that the teeth are facing the sharpening stone.
- Then you have to choose the sharpening angle (it depends on the type of chain saw).
- Adjust polarity.
- Set the method of sharpening: inline or through-the-tooth.
Now you can begin the sharpening process.
Worrying about how to sharpen a chainsaw chain as accurately as possible on a machine is not necessary. All modern automatic chain sharpeners are tuned to near perfection. So you just have to follow the instructions above.
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain
Since the inner contour of the tooth is rather similar to a circle and the chain is made of sufficiently soft metal, sharpening is carried out with a circular file that has a small diameter. For the chain saw to be properly sharpened it is necessary to precisely position the file against the tooth. The top edge of the file against the top edge of the tooth should protrude about 1/5 of its diameter. Know your chain’s parameters before sharpening, because the diameter of the file depends on the pitch of the chain. It is usually 4 to 5.5 mm.
In addition to all of the above, the angle of the file is important for proper sharpening. It must be at right angles to the chain in the vertical plane and, as described in “Link Angles and Parameters” in this article, 30 or 10 degrees in the horizontal plane. Fulfill these conditions only with a file through extremely difficult, so when sharpening a chain saw use special devices that allow you to observe the correct sharpening parameters. Usually such kits are included with chain saws or can be purchased at almost any hardware store that sells power tools.
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain at home with a file
Sharpen the chain of a chainsaw with a file correctly with a round sharpening tool. The dimensions of the file depend on the dimensions of the saw itself. It is important to know the pitch of the teeth. One circular sharpener is not enough. Two kinds of tools are used for sharpening and dressing of chains. The first one is a file with round section with the diameter corresponding to the diameter of the rounding of the working edge of the saw tooth. A flat file is needed for the guide tooth depth stop.
sharpening can be done manually in a 4 to 5.5 mm round file. It is extremely important to position the tool correctly vs. the tooth to be sharpened. The top edge of the file is about one-fifth higher than the top edge of the workpiece. The tool is held perpendicular to the chain axis at an angle of 25º 30º to the top edge of the tooth.
For sharpening saw chains of household tools, circular files 4 and 4,8 mm in diameter are used, as they have a small tooth. Heavy-duty chains with a larger tooth pitch are used for pro models. That’s why files with a diameter of 5.2 and 5.5 mm are needed.
A flat file will be needed to sharpen the limiter, and a hook will be needed to clean the area where the work is being done to remove the filings that form. There are also special holders available on which the direction lines of the file are programmed in relation to the chain axis. The holder can be placed on the tooth from above, resting on its top edge. As its height is adapted to a certain pitch of a chain, this device should be chosen with reference to concrete brands and models of chainsaws. Minimum necessary set in order to get the right angle of chain sharpening by hand is shown on the photo.
A set of sharpening tools and attachments
Hand sharpening saves on material and allows work in the field. First you need to put the tool on a flat surface. If you are working in the forest, a large-diameter piece of wood will be handy. Next, you need to inspect the saw chain for any defects, it may be cracks, completely broken off teeth. After the inspection, you need to set the brake to the working state, thus blocking the movement on the chain bar, which must be tensioned during the sharpening of the file.
Chainsaw chain file for sharpening: ranges and tips for selection
Pick the diameter of your circular file according to the pitch of the saw chain. Pitch values of 1.3 and 1.6 mm correspond to files with diameters of 4 and 5.2 mm. A flat tool is needed to reduce the height of the cutting link stops.
How to correctly sharpen a chainsaw chain with a file
Templates and templates should be fixed on the area to be sharpened. This will give the file the proper direction, making the process easier. When all the preparatory work is done, you can start sharpening the chain.
According to the rules, it is necessary to sharpen the teeth of one direction, and then the other. Work begins with light pushes with the file away from you, gradually increasing the pressure. Reverse drive of the file. without pushing. The circular saw has to be rotated along its axis. The chain is sharpened by moving the inside of the tooth outward. At the same time, the file should be placed parallel to the special marking on the chain, which is applied by the manufacturer to indicate the standard sharpening angle.
The tooth to be sharpened should be located approximately in the middle of the tire, this is necessary for the convenience of the work. During machining you must push the chain along the bar, remembering to set the brake in the working position each time.
The angle of inclination of the tool must be straight, and the chain sharpening angle of the chainsaw horizontally. sharp, and it is allowed to change it in the range from 10º to 30º. Use the smallest tooth in the row as the base. Turn the bar over and do the same work for the teeth that go in the opposite direction. The disadvantage of this sharpening method is the great time expense.
Sharpening the chain with a file
It is possible to insert a round file with a broken off handle into the chuck of an electric drill or a screwdriver. A very convenient mechanized sharpening device.
Sharpening chain with a drill and file
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain
A chain gets blunt the most when cutting hard, wet, frozen wood. Less so when cutting dried conifers that have been left to dry for some time.
There are two types of sharpening in total: manually and with the help of a machine.
When sharpening manually, the cutters are ground with a round file that is matched to the tooth size and pitch. A number of conditions should be observed:
- The teeth should be sharpened at an angle of 25°-35° (this refers to the angle of the cutting edge of the tooth relative to the perpendicular axis to the chain link). A smaller angle provides a smoother stroke and is needed for hard and frozen wood. A larger angle is for soft wood, dry wood, quick cuts;
- the depth limiter should be cut once in 5-10 sharpening of teeth in order to keep 0,5-0,8 mm difference between its height and height of cutting edge of the tooth (otherwise the saw can cut unproductively, give fine chips, give more bounce);
- hold the file at an angle of 30° horizontally and 90° vertically;
- To ensure that the top of the circular file protrudes optimally from the edge of the cutting tooth by approximately 20 % of its total diameter.
In order to ensure that all these difficult conditions are met special tools are produced, with nozzles, limiting the depth of cut to the optimum and with tips on the optimum angle of file during operation.
As you understand, if the saw is used frequently and intensively, manual sharpening of the teeth is quite a waste of time. Machines are used to optimize. Hand-held machines are either attached to a chain blade to allow manual sharpening, or require that the chain be removed. Electric machines are the most productive. By setting the sharpening parameters once the chain can be sharpened on it in minutes.