What you need to know before using a new lawnmower
The question of how to start the grass trimmer, if the grass trimmer does not start or starts badly will arise if the gasoline grass trimmer engine is worn, unregulated or when due to violations of the sequence of operations when starting the engine a lot of fuel got into the combustion chamber (when the engine is “sucked in”). To help the engine start, a little fuel can be poured into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. It is better to use a special starting fluid, but you can also use regular fuel from the tank of the starting trimmer for grass or lawnmower.
Checking the gearbox before starting a gasoline grass trimmer should be created on a regular basis. No or little lubricant increases friction in the gearbox at sufficiently high RPM. As a result, overheating occurs and the gears. Gearbox of brushcutter fails. It helps to prevent the occurrence of such a failure in the process of use and continuous inspection.
If before starting the lawn brush a lack of lubricant is noticed in the gearbox or its absence, “LITOL” is added to the housing. To do this, you must unscrew the screw on the bend of the gear housing and pour “LITOL” in an amount of 1-2 ml.
Working with a gasoline trimmer for a long time, every 8-10 hours add grease to the boom gearbox.
Fuel mixture preparation and refueling
Use a fuel can for good fuel mixture. where one part contains gasoline and the other part contains 2-stroke oil. We recommend to get a similar one, it is very convenient to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Then take a measuring cup with a scale on it, with its help you will be able to prepare a mixture as precisely and quickly as possible. Look in the manual for the brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.Look in the manual for the brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil recommended by the manufacturer for your lawn mower. Pour petrol and oil into the fuel mixture tank according to the proportions given in the manual. Then carefully pour the ready mixture through a funnel into the fuel tank of the grass trimmer. The ratio of gasoline to oil must be exactly as stated in the manual. This is a very important point!
The first thing to do is to check the presence and quality of fuel
If you do not understand why the lawnmower does not start, then first make sure that there is fuel in the tank. What beginners often forget is that you have to make pauses from time to time in order to fill the tool with gasoline and oil mixture. If the mower’s tank is empty, of course it won’t start, no matter how many times you try.
If there is fuel in the tank, but it is impossible to start the engine of the tool, then do not hurry to disassemble the carburetor. Make sure that the grass trimmer engine is started correctly, as indicated in the manual. If the start is done according to the instructions, then it is important to consider the following points:
- Do not just use high-quality gasoline with the highest octane number, but exactly the brand recommended by the manufacturer. And not always such a brand is gasoline AI-95. If you do not know what gasoline to use for the lawnmower, then choose AI-92
- The oil should be special. for two-stroke engines. If the lawnmower has a four-stroke motor, then it must be filled with pure gasoline without stirring with oil. On the quality of oil for the grass trimmer engine should not be economized, as well as on gasoline. The engine’s service life depends on the quality of the fuel that is used
- Adjusting the fuel mixture in the gasoline trimmer. Observations show that most mowers only first time control the process of making oil with gasoline for grass trimmer. The more experience the mower has, the less attention is paid to the process of mixing gasoline and oil for a two-stroke engine. Adjust the mix of oil and gasoline in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. usually the ratio is 25 to 1, that means you need 40 ml of two-stroke oil for every 1 liter of gasoline (car engine oil and especially waste oil can’t be used)
- Correct fuel mixture storage. It often happens that after preparing the fuel mixture, it stands for a long time more than 2 weeks. The ready mix of gasoline and oil must not be stored for long, since it causes the oil to precipitate, thus losing the properties of both petroleum products. Even careful stirring after a long period of storage of the prepared mixture is not a reason for its further use. That is why it is not recommended to prepare more than 2 liters of mixture at a time
Make sure that all of the above points are met, and only then can you proceed to check the condition of the spark plug. Grass trimmer does not start for a variety of reasons, and most of them can be identified by yourself. It is not practical to disassemble the carburetor if the engine cannot be started. The next step in troubleshooting is to check the condition of the spark plugs.
Lawnmowers have air-cooled engines, so clean cooling fins (fan) ensure the quality of operation and protect against overheating. In order to clean them, it is sometimes necessary to remove some external parts of the engine. It’s a good idea to do compressed air cleaning, but you can also do it with a simple soft brush.
The engine should be filled only with high-quality fuel, it affects its performance, service life, and, consequently, the economy of your budget. You have to drain the gasoline before the winter, but it’s better to work off all the old gasoline, then you won’t get a furry buildup. After the gasoline is gone, turn the starter, then all the valves will close. Do the filling in the spring.
Periodically change the oil and the spark plugs. Change oil according to the term in the manual. Drain and discard the old oil and add new oil, but only with the proper grade and viscosity. Some engines have a drain at the bottom and sometimes you have to turn the machine on its side. It is better to drain the oil when the engine is not cooled down, then it flows out faster and takes a lot of accumulated debris with it. Pour oil up to the level and keep away from dirt.
Replace the spark plugs if they are worn, rusted or burned out. If you see a fouling or carbon deposits on the spark plug, clean it, or you can immediately put a new one in, setting the necessary gap (according to the instructions) and carefully tighten it with a torque wrench.
Also do not forget to clean, and if necessary, change the fuel and air filters. The more dust in the area of operation, the more often it is necessary to do this, and before winter it is obligatory.
Why won’t the lawnmower start. troubleshooting
Caring for the garden, dacha owners are occasionally faced with the fact that the lawn mower does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. In order to correctly diagnose the problem, the owner of a useful dacha unit needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
Since the gasoline grass trimmer refers to complex devices, before starting work, it is necessary to carefully study the operating instructions. Very often it is simply ignored, or people only superficially get acquainted with it. As a result, when the tool stops or refuses to start, the question arises. “Why won’t the lawnmower start??” A long seasonal break in work, improper storage and untimely maintenance of the grass trimmer, will give a lot of trouble to the dacha owner, to eliminate the causes.
How do you start with diagnosing your brushcutter?
If the lawnmower does not start or immediately stops after starting, all major components need to be checked one by one. The check algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- The spark plug and the spark plug passage;
- Check the air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- The breather plug;
- Exhaust port.
These components are often the source of major problems that can be corrected after a thorough inspection.
Checking the Fuel Mixture
Before starting the engine of a gasoline grasshopper, check the presence, and quality of the fuel mixture. Don’t be thrifty, greedy or “smart” about it. The piston group is too expensive to repair or replace (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new machine). To prepare the oil-fuel mixture, it is necessary to strictly follow the instructions. Calculate the fuel mix based on your actual needs. Excessive petrol left after work loses its quality over time.
Carry out the diagnostics of the spark plug and the spark plug duct
If there is no doubt about the quality of the fuel mixture and the lawn mower stops when starting, it could be due to a clogged spark plug. Here for repair is suitable a usual spark plug wrench (for sure every motorist has one) and spare spark plug.
- Unscrew the spark plug and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (don’t burn it);
- Excess fuel in the chamber drain through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- Clean old spark plugs from soot with a file or a nail file;
- We set the gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check it with any coin);
- Put everything back in place and try to start the grass trimmer.
Dry the channel at least 30-40 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk of re-flooding and a new spark plug.
If the spark plug works, the socket where it is located is completely dry, but the lawn mower does not want to start, lubricate the threaded joint with petrol. It should be slightly dampened. No matter how good the spark is, there’s nothing in the dry chamber to ignite.
If the grass trimmer engine still does not start, you should rule out such a cause as a lack of spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire. If the connection is good, but there is still no spark, most likely you have a “broken” ignition unit. Here without a master you can not do without, t. к. the part is not repairable, and is sold as a complete unit.
Diagnosis of the lawnmower filters
The air filter may be another reason why your petrol grass trimmer malfunctions. To rule it out, try to remove the filter and start the grass trimmer without it. If it works, then you will have to change the air filter for a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
Gasoline grass trimmer may not start due to a dirty fuel filter. This is the next step of our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing try not to leave the intake pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any instruction manual. If you are in a hurry, you may end up with the repair of the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust port
Often, “delicate” brand-name models don’t start and stop because of the soiled breather plug. The main function of this element is to equalize pressure in the tank. If it is clogged, it creates a vacuum in the tank and blocks the fuel supply. You can solve the problem by cleaning the breather plug. A normal needle can be used for cleaning.
Normal operation of the space with internal combustion engines can be disturbed due to dirt in the exhaust channel or clogged muffler screen. It is encountered on older generation models. The problem can be solved by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-sparking mesh.
complex causes of mower failure
If the step-by-step troubleshooting algorithm did not yield results, and your grasshopper still does not start or stalls, it is worth inspecting the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor may be one of the causes of erratic operation of the tool. Here we can distinguish three main problems:
- Clogged ports or jets. Clean it all with special washes or blown with a powerful jet of compressed air from a compressor. Do not use needles and wire, as the passages may be damaged;
- The carburetor gasket is worn. The way out is to replace the failed gasket;
- Check for leaks. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing it with a suitable pressure gauge. Watch the readings: if they do not change. everything is fine, and if the pressure begins to fall, it means that some part of the carburetor is faulty. Have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is okay with the carburetor, the gasoline grass trimmer may not start due to the wear and tear of the piston group. If you find chips, scratches or scrapes on the piston or cylinder, replace them. Piston rings should be inspected. If there is a slight play on the piston when rocking the connecting rod, the time has come to change the rings. This procedure is best left to the professionals of the service center.
Advantages of petrol grasscutters
Which lawn mower is better. gasoline or electric??
Comparing the characteristics of the electric mower, brushcutter and gasoline unit, you can see that the latter has the following advantages:
- The costs during the operation of machinery are significantly reduced due to the use of gasoline AI-92 and AI-95 in the process of operation of the engine;
- a high degree of mobility, maneuverability of gasoline lawnmowers;
- long working time;
- the height of the cutting attachment and the cutting height of the grass is adjustable;
- high performance indicators;
- higher environmental friendliness;
- compact and easy to use;
- The tank capacity can reach up to 70 liters;
- unpretentious maintenance;
- low gasoline consumption;
- high reliability;
- the same grass height is maintained over the entire area of the lawn, you can get a perfectly flat lawn;
- complete independence. independence from external power supply;
- handles uneven areas;
- no exhaust gases are released into the atmosphere during fuel combustion;
- support of mulching function, grass collection, recycling;
- the mulching unit runs quietly.
The result of a proper run-in gasoline grass trimmer
After you have carried out running-in of the lawnmower according to the instructions, as a result we will get a ready to work tool. Of course, the best thing is not only to read the steps, but also to see the running-in on a video from the experts. The result of correct actions will be received:
- trouble-free operation of the power tool for a long time;
- Quality start of the device and the stability of the supplied power;
- No unforeseen grass trimmer repairs after a quality run-in;
- no overheating.
In this regard, the initial processing of the Chinese grasshopper is an integral part of the quality work of the device, which can work flawlessly, using blades for chain saws or cutting lines of different diameters when processing areas, available for purchase at the special store “Grasshopper Mower“.
Starting lawn mower running-in
After start-up, don’t rush to run in the grass trimmer right away. Allow 5 minutes for the engine to warm up at idle speed. While warming up, adjust the air supply with the air damper lever so that the bobbin with a fishing line or knife does not rotate. Once the tool is warmed up, fully open the air supply by turning the appropriate lever to the “ON” position and squeeze the throttle trigger to 1/2 and hold for 2030 seconds. Then turn off the gas and let the trimmer idle for 30 to 40 seconds. Continue in this mode for 10 15 minutes. Then turn off the engine and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
Having cooled the lawnmower, we continue running in the engine according to the previous scheme. Start the grass trimmer when it is hot with the choke open. Try not to hold the gas for a long time because the moving parts of the tool is only lapping. Do not let the engine idle for a long time because it can overheat.
The next step is running in of the reducer of the gasoline grasshopper. For this purpose it is necessary to choose a spot with soft young grass. Let’s mow for 510 minutes with nudges on 1/22/3 of full gas. After we make a break for 20 25 minutes. Repeat the cycle 34 times.
Generally starting up the lawnmower according to the described algorithm is done until the fuel mixture in the tank is completely exhausted. After that the tool is ready to work for a long time. Monitor the temperature of the gearbox and motor during operation. Do not overheat.
Maintenance of brushcutters (grass trimmer)
Engine. The air filter must always be clean (no dirt or sawdust); the foam filter should be moistened with oil. Check the fuel filter once a week and replace it if necessary, if the tool is used a lot. Check nuts and screws for tightness. before you start work. Clean the muffler (or muffler mesh) and plugs as necessary.
Cutting blades. Sharpen cutting edges well and properly, using proper templates and files (emery boards), observing cutting angles depending on type of blade. Change discs on both sides at regular 180° rotation and wear evenly. A blunt blade or a blade that has been badly or improperly sharpened will not cut properly and so overload the motor and reduce the life of the motor at an accelerated rate.
Trimmer line and trimmer heads. Use only mowing line designed for trimmer. do not use wire or metal cords! Use only a trimmer line of the diameter recommended by the manufacturer. Wind the bobbin tightly but not over the coils. Clean the mowing head of dirt and lubricate as needed. A worn or deformed brushcutter head may damage the gearbox and/or shaft of the brushcutter.
Angular gearbox. Clean off dirt as often as necessary (this “fur” prevents proper cooling of the gearbox) and apply Husqvarna or similar grease to the gearcase.
Protective guards. Never operate your brushcutter without its guard: danger to life and limb and may overload the brushcutter engine. For each type of cutting equipment, you should use only a different protective cover provided by the manufacturer.
It should be noted that it is not always possible to repair a brushcutter yourself, but in most cases, small repairs are in force for everyone.
If the grass trimmer motor broke, and you are not an auto mechanic and not an electrician, it is better not to try to repair the mechanism. It may not be possible to reassemble it. There can be such problems: low compression in the engine, the engine is jammed, the carburetor is out of order. If these words do not tell you anything, you should not repair brushcutter on the picture and intuition.
It should be noted that the maintenance and repair of chainsaws and brushcuts are similar in many ways.
Trimmers for grass consists of a bar, a motor (it can be from above or below), and a mowing head with blades, various additional elements. What can be repaired by yourself?
air damper; 2. handle; 3. engine stopping device; 4. throttle control lever;
limiting bracket; 6. boom; 7. cutter bar guard;
1) If your tumbler switch is stuck, you know how to make simple circuit diagrams, a soldering iron, solder, and rosin, you can easily replace the switch with a new one. You can buy them at electrical hardware and lighting fixture stores.
2) If the wire limiter from the mowing head has fallen off, it can be wound with flexible copper or aluminum wire to the boom. You can also make a new mount from a strip of stainless steel.
3) If the trimmer line breaks on the brushcutter head reel, nothing is easier than replacing it yourself. You can, of course, just buy a brushcutter head separately and replace it, but a line for a trimmer is definitely cheaper. Optimal material here is a 0.9 to 1.5 mm trimmer line, nylon or kapron. Measure the diameter of the fishing line you are using at once, before it runs out completely. Thinner may tear, thicker causes engine overheating and unnecessary vibration. You need to disassemble the drum and wind the line for the trimmer by hand, then reassemble the drum.
4) If the bar breaks, it can also be repaired by taping or gluing it to wooden slats or iron staples.
5) If the engine starts to vibrate strongly and is “rough”, you may need to lubricate your brushcutter. Any grass trimmer is easy to disassemble, it is recommended to lubricate it with technical oil at least once a year.
7) If the grass trimmer is equipped with plastic knives, and they are deformed for some reason, there is a way to replace them with metal ones. To do this, you need to make a few blades of stainless steel. At home it is a bit difficult, but the situation can be saved by a familiar turner who works at an industrial plant or factory. The blades are attached to the shaft by a sleeve with a washer. This improvement makes it possible for the trimmer to cut grass of any firmness. But you need to be more careful when using such a trimmer.
8) Engine does not start? To start the cutter, sometimes even when it’s hot, the choke must be closed completely to enrich the mix. Check gasoline intake, clean, replace glow plug if necessary.