How to make a handle for a chainsaw starter. Quality chainsaw starter repair with your own hands
An indispensable tool when cutting firewood and felling trees is a chainsaw. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations and carrying out the necessary preventive measures will ensure the long “life” of the unit. But even the most reliable mechanism over time malfunctions, most of which can be eliminated with your own hands without the help of specialized centers. One of these malfunctions may lie in the chain saw starter, the repair of which is possible to make independently if a certain sequence of operations is followed.
Because of the chainsaw’s long life, the starter mechanism fails. After one or more pulls on the starter rope does not turn the crankshaft. This problem may be due to the following reasons:
Before starting work on diagnosing and repairing the starter mechanism, you need to prepare the necessary tools and accessories, which will significantly reduce the time of the operation. These include:
The first step in repairing a chainsaw starter is to identify the nature of the problem. To do this, remove the side cover on the side of the starter mechanism, unscrewing only a few screws. Depending on the manufacturer for this operation will need a specialized or conventional locksmith screwdriver.
Then we examine the inner side of the safety guard. If there are no cracks and chips of plastic, proceed directly to the diagnostics of the starter unit. Unscrew the central bolt of the starter and remove the spring. There should be no cracks and tears on its surface. To choose independently a similar force and number of coils spring is problematic, so you need the help of specialized centers.
After removing the clamp and the chain saw starter spring, the pulley with the wound cord is available for disassembly. The integrity of the rope indicates that it is necessary to carefully review each of the parts of the starting mechanism.
Chainsaw starter repair
With frequent chain saw starts some of the starter components are constantly exposed to dynamic loads. As a result, the cable could break, some teeth of the ratchet could crack, and the shaft could rotate at a much slower speed. That’s why the revision and even the repair of starters. operations that are sometimes carried out several times a season.
REPLACEMENT OF THE CORD
When it is pulled, the starter rope is constantly rubbing against the starter housing. To replace, disassemble the body of the assembly, and carefully lift the ratchet drum so as not to allow the return spring to come off its sockets. It is best to do this job with two people: one helper will hold the spring in place while you replace the cable. After fixing the cable in the handle and in the grooves of the drum, the cable will be wound onto the roller and the housing will be assembled.
If the starter spring material is not of good quality, the spring will break (usually at its connection to the reel, where it forms a loop). There is no need to replace the spring in this case. It is enough to thoroughly clean its surface from dirt and traces of grease, carefully grind the place of destruction, then temper the spring at 600 650 ° C (steel spring should get crimson color). Cool the spring slowly, and at 100-150°C you can carefully coil its end to the shape of limiting projection on the drum inside (steel will get the needed plasticity) and put it back. The elastic properties of the spring will not change.
HOW TO PUT A SPRING ON A CHAINSAW STARTER?
To place the starter spring in the correct groove is not an easy thing, even for an experienced user. First twist the spring to its former diameter and install it in the hub cavity of the drum. The outer end of the spring is fixed by the limiting projection, and the outer end, using a screwdriver, should be positioned against the hole in the lock. Use a screwdriver to align the eyelet on the inner end of the spring with the hole and lower the blade. Check that the ratchet catch is in place by turning the disc. Then assemble the ratchet itself.
STIHL STIHL chain saw 180. Malfunctions and repair
The simple design of the STIHL MS 180 chain saw makes it possible to fix most of the problems with your own hands. To repair successfully, the first step is to determine the causes of the problem. Repair algorithm varies from case to case and depends on the type of failure.
Why a STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw will not start?
If this is the case, the STIHL model will not start if the spark plug is dirty.
To fix it you need to take the top apart and unscrew the spark plug. If there is a thick layer of soot on the spark plug, it needs to be cleaned and dried. After that the clean candle can be screwed back in.
What to do if the spark plug fills up on a STIHL 180 chain saw?
If you frequently use the machine, one of its fuel pipes breaks, allowing fuel to leak onto the spark plug and other parts of the chain saw.
If a spark plug boot or spark plug pipe bursts, you will need to remove the damaged hose and replace it with a new one. The seam between the new hose and the original nozzle should be sealed with a thread sealant.
STIHL 180 chain saw does not receive oil
One of the main causes of a problem in which oil does not flow is a breakdown in the pump that supplies oil to the saw head. In order to fix the problem you need to remove the bar and chain and remove the plastic side cover. The place under the housing will then have to be cleaned and the pump replaced.
If the chain is not lubricated, the cause of the failure may also be a breakage of one or more of the oil pipes. If this happens you need to remove and replace the hoses.
STIHL 180 chain saw stops when you accelerate
In this case, you need to look for the cause in a dirty air or built-in fuel filter. They wear out over time because dirt can collect on them. To fix the problem, you will need to clean or completely replace the filter parts.
Another reason for this malfunction is a misaligned carburetor. You should first clean all dust and oil residue off the machine and adjust it in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
STIHL STIHL 180 saw stalls when idling. how to solve the problem?
In this case, the cause of the sudden breakdown should be looked for in the ignition system of the tool. It is not uncommon for mechanical shocks to disturb the gap between the flywheel and the factory ignition coil, resulting in a failure of the entire system. In this case you need to disassemble the instrument and check the distance between the elements.
To adjust the play, you loosen the flywheel. You will then need to insert a template between the flywheel and the ignition coil, and start screwing the bolts back in. As soon as the handwheel makes contact with the jig, stop screwing.
STIHL MS 180 chain saw does not start well in cold conditions
Check first that the spark plug is not covered with fuel. If there is a thick layer of carbon deposits on it, then the fuel system needs to be inspected. It could have lost its tightness as a result of a ruptured hose or a broken fuel pump.
If there is nothing wrong with the plugs, then the air filter will need to be checked. As a result of heavy use of the chainsaw, it may have become clogged or fallen into disrepair. In this case, cleaning the filter or replacing it will help.
The third element that can fail is one or more of the compression rings. They cannot be repaired, so they need to be replaced.
The device of a chainsaw. the design of a modern tool
Each chainsaw consists of a number of important mechanisms.
- Gasoline 2-stroke motor. consists of a cylinder-piston group, cooling system, air filter. You can also find a four-stroke chainsaw on sale. It is designed to perform demanding work in construction, as well as in logging. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to produce saws with electric motors. Such electric appliance is good for home. It does not emit harmful exhaust gases, so it can be used directly indoors;
- torque transmission unit from the motor to the cutting chain. The drive usually consists of a gearbox, a guide sprocket;
- housing. this element is used to protect the internal elements of the saw from damage and dust. It can be made of laminated plastic or aluminum. Inside the housing is easy access to the fuel and oil tanks, filters, and other frequently replaced parts. This makes it possible to repair the tool and replace defective parts with new ones;
- Working handles. as a rule, manufacturers use steel or forged metal for their production. The handles are also covered with a rubberized coating that prevents the operator’s hands from slipping;
- sawing attachments. consisting of chain and guide bar. Most manufacturers use a side screw to tension the chain. this makes it possible to adjust the chain without using tools. Separate oil pump is responsible for lubrication.
All models are equipped with controls for the garden and the forest. They are represented by throttle lever, throttle position regulation button, overrun brake switch and ignition switch.
Types of chain saws
Depending on the type of use and, respectively, the technical characteristics possessed by different models of chainsaws, they are qualified as follows:
Household. intended for short-term work and performance of not complicated operations. Lightweight and compact in size, they are easy to operate and maintain. Duration of use of such tool. up to 1.0 hour per day.
Semi-professional. used in various fields of construction, in different spheres of human activity. Are a multipurpose type of tool. Daily use up to 10.0 hours.
Professional. used for industrial volumes of lumber, long hours of use (up to 16.0 hours a day) in a year-round operation.
How to Start a Chainsaw with a Starter
How to start a chainsaw: a couple of effective ways
Chainsaws vary in design features, but in most cases, the principle of assembly follows two standard schemes. Many devices in the manual contain information about the need to turn on the emergency brake before starting the on/off procedure.
First, it is necessary to master the device of the plant and learn the basic ways of troubleshooting, then one will have the ability to fully operate the device.
Briefly about the device of the plant
The chainsaw is powered by the. This is a simple device whose design has no special bells and whistles. It usually works fine even in harsh conditions.
Familiarize yourself with the device of the plant Functionality is provided by the structural elements:
- The carburetor engine (see “Engine. Adjusting the carburetor).
- Centrifugal clutch.
- An ignition system that is virtually non-contact in all units.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter, and gas cylinder, but sometimes it also has additional parts.
- Circuit (see “Starter“). Chain oil).
- Chain tensioning mechanism and chain brake (refer to., How to sharpen a chain).
Step by step instruction
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so it is also safer and more convenient to engage the gear without using brake equipment.
If one is unsure of one’s knowledge and accuracy, then the brake should be activated in reverse. If the procedure is correct, the device does not start, the mechanism does not make it dangerous for human action.
1 diagram of the standard mechanism
- Before you start the benzoyl, you need to move the flap, which acts as a control lever, to the bottom, compared to the optimal position. First press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met can the damper be moved normally to the lower stop. It is necessary to move the flap and hold the throttle button at the same time. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for normal operation. Start jerk knob
- The starter knob must be pulled and this is done in a jerking motion, not a soft one. Moderate force must be used for this action. It is necessary to continue these jerks until you can clearly hear the chain saw ignition, which will end very quickly (stop). After performing this exercise, the flap position should move one step up.
- The starter knob is jerked again then until the system starts. When the unit begins to operate actively, high speed is immediately noticeable, as the throttle is at a high level. It should be remembered that sometimes chainsaws are supplied without a starter motor, then all operations with this element are made.
- Gas button is pressed once and then released, so that the choke position is immediately at its optimal. The speed decreases, t. Е. Intensity of chain speed.
- Already at. when the lever is in position “1” and then the action is done to turn on the device.
- To turn off the engine of the device, you need to set the shock absorber to the highest position.
READ Home Garden Ph 426 Zip Chainsaw Device
In our quality chainsaw ranking you will find all chainsaws with an optimum price to quality ratio.
Our article will also help you choose between different chainsaw brands.
The chainsaw is running. Low price and sufficiently high quality.
2 diagrams of the standard mechanism
- Ignition on. To do so, turn the rocker switch to the desired position or flip the.
- Usually you need to push the primer to pump more than twice. It is poured with gasoline, after which you need to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step. Adjustment lever
- The adjustment lever, which is responsible for locating the flap, must be pulled out as far as it will go. Many chainsaws have the ability to lock this element. It can then be moved only by simultaneously pressing and holding the throttle button. Some chain saws do not have such a lock, which makes it more convenient to use. In these models, the throttle cannot be locked or held while using automatic technology.
- You need to take the starter handle and tighten in a sharp motion until you can hear the ignition process. It is marked with establishment and almost instantaneous engine shutdown. The bobbin should then be pulled back to its original position, checking that it reaches the stop. Again, the starter knob is jerked to the location of the unit. Before you carry out this action, make sure that this is the way to get the chainsaw. Some units have a new ignition system. For the engine to work in them, it is necessary to move the damper only 50%, but only at the beginning of active engine operation, in order to push it out completely.
- If you purchased a fixed throttle model, you must prepare in advance for maximum engine speed immediately after activating the device. When there is no lock, the starting power is very low, so in most cases you need to increase it. If you take no action, in the latter case, the saw runs for a short period of time and then automatically stops. If this situation occurs, you need to start the chainsaw again.
READ Attachment for your chain saw with your own hands
chain saw starter repair. by your own hands.
on a chainsaw ? How to bend a chainsaw spring ? How to wind the spring
The most common breakdowns of the tool can include the following:
- problems in the ignition system;
- Stopping the chainsaw’s operation while it is cutting;
- Loss of power when working;
- wear and tear on some of the chainsaw‘s structural components (brake belt, drive sprockets, anti-vibration parts);
- Problems in the fuel system;
- Starter related malfunctions.
In addition, it is necessary to visually inspect the chainsaw before starting work and to take precautionary measures. These include lubrication of the chain, controlling the amount of fuel mixture, as well as the presence of the required amount of oil.
Unscrew the spark plug to check its condition.
Each of the malfunctions is eliminated according to a different technology. So, for example, repairing a chainsaw’s fuel system should begin with inspecting the appropriate filter. Electric lawn mower starting faults. After that, check the correct adjustment of the carburetor, which is carried out by means of screws. The clearances should be set in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, which should come with the chainsaw. Repair of the ignition system includes inspection of the spark plugs. If you find heavy fouling, a change in clearance or other visible damage, this element must be replaced.
The starter assembly is assembled in several steps:
- the coil is inverted by installing it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the slot of the shroud, as in the photo below;
- lay the two washers, between which the spring is installed;
- put the cup with the antennas back in place;
- Screw in the screw (photo below).
When performing the above manipulations it is necessary to laying of two washers
If this is not done, the spring will eventually damage the plastic cup, and when it is lifted, it will begin to stick. Because of this, it feels like spring has sprung. To correct this defect, you need to install this part of a longer length or an additional washer.
When such spare parts are not available, you can lightly unscrew the screw
, and the starter assembly will work without jamming. But this option is only temporary. It is better to repair it as soon as possible.