Methods of processing the edges of the carpet: with overlock and without it
In today’s world, more and more people prefer to live with non-standard rooms. And then, when the need arises to cover the floors with a warm carpet or palace, there are difficulties in acquiring a ready-made item. You can solve this issue by purchasing a carpet, rug, or runner of the right size.
But with this comes the next difficulty: the machining of the cut-off edge. It will not arise, if the outlet provides services for processing the edge overlock, but, unfortunately, this service is not at all. In such a case, you should not get upset, there are several proven methods of solving this problem. How to process the edge of the carpet at home?
Carpet overlaying by yourself
It is possible to do this work yourself, for this you will need:
A special thread in the tone of coverage; a sharp and strong needle, the size of which depends on the thickness of the carpet; thimble to protect your finger; scissors.
To make it easier for you to calculate the necessary length of thread, you should measure the length of the side you are going to work on, and multiply the result by 10.
If the carpet is old, first cut the frayed edges. Step back from the edge 1 cm and make a piercing with a needle, in which the thread is already inserted. Throw a thread on the needle, pull it to the left and tighten the resulting knot.
Insert the needle into the puncture again and repeat the operation. Keep in mind that this is a long and time-consuming process, as the stitches must be put very tightly.
If you know how to knit, then the edges can be worked with a hook, in this case, the work is done faster. Use a metal hook to work, since plastic or wood products are not very strong.
This way you can work with both thin carpet and material with a long pile.
Now in the store you can buy ready-made overlock for carpet, which is attached to the cut to size material with glue or double-sided adhesive tape.
If you have a household overlock Janome or similar to it, then you can do the above work much faster and better than manually. In this case, the density of the threads will be high, so the stitch is obtained more qualitative and beautiful, which ensures long life of the cover.
The use of overlock machine Janom allow you to choose the speed and mode of operation, depending on the thickness of the carpet, it can carry up to 3500 stitches per minute.
Only 100% polypropylene threads are suitable for carpeting Only 100% polypropylene threads are suitable for carpeting. Because our yarns are made from synthetic material, they are very strong and hard-wearing. They can be used with any kind of overlock machine.
Polypropylene threads have other advantages:
- They are many times more durable than natural-based products.
- Polypropylene threads are highly resistant to various acids and solvents.
- A wide range of colors facilitates the choice of finishing to match the color of the coating.
- Such threads are not affected even by subzero temperatures, they do not crumble and do not break.
The only disadvantage is that the threads burn out quickly in direct sunlight. Processing is usually carried out after the carpet is given the desired shape and dimensions. Then the edges are treated with polypropylene threads. Sometimes kapron threads are added to them to increase the strength of the seam and enhance brightness. The density of the seam should be high.
The simplest type of tool for cutting carpet is a special knife. Two types can be found in the range of construction stores:
- A simple knife with a blade width of 18 mm. Externally, it looks like an ordinary construction or stationery tool, but has a special shape of the front part, a guide and a plastic handle with a protrusion. This shape makes proper, deep cuts. use the handle to guide the material under the clamping elements. Chopper blade, segmented. Price of the device. from 1100
- Knife with a stop for carpet, vinyl and PVC. make cuts in widths from 15 to 60 mm simply with the stand holder. Cost. from 750
What is better to use for trimming carpet
To get the flooring to lie flat, you first have to cut it properly. Only special tools should be used for cutting, let’s look at each of them.
In the home it is necessary to have such a cutting tool as a knife. It’s great for trimming flooring, opening boxes, and so on. д. There are many models of this tool, and you can buy it for a price of 300.
Electric carpet shears
This universal tool is specially designed for cutting carpet and linoleum. Its. at a minimum. Unlike a regular knife, electric scissors have the following features:
- safety when working with flooring material;
- easy operation and high quality of work;
- The ergonomics of the design;
- this tool runs on rechargeable batteries, which allows you to not depend on the mains.
Of course, you can use scissors or a regular sharp knife, but you should consider the fact that the carpet is different thickness and can not succumb to these tools. Also, when cutting the floor covering use a shoemaker knife, office knife with interchangeable blades or a scalpel.
The choice of cutting tool will depend, of course, on the preferences of the owner, but the consequences can also be different, because irregularities can ruin the blade.
WARNING Do not cut the carpet too much around the edges.
Carpeting without an overlock can be treated in the following ways:
- if the size of the carpet is the size of the room, the edges of the carpet conceal under the baseboards or thresholds;
- If the carpet is made of synthetic materials. the edges of the rug can be worked with a lighter flame, match, or candle; this will help prevent the nap from crumbling on the edges of the rug;
- deformed edges of carpets with natural pile can be restored with clear PVA glue or clear gel (it is important to wait for the substance to dry completely);
- needlewomen can stitch the damaged edges with polypropylene thread;
- A damaged rug can be repaired by trimming the edges with ribbons or thick braid;
- hem the edges of the carpeting with an oblique stitch.
Thus, there is a huge range of ways to process a carpet without an overlock. It is important to treat diligently and without haste in order to obtain an effective result in the long term and to prevent further deformation of the carpet edges.
Where to go?
Sometimes overlocking carpet can be ordered directly from the store
Sometimes you can order overlock carpet directly from the store where you purchased the product. The price of such a service is usually low and the procedure will only take a few hours. However, the choice of this option is suitable only for those who know exactly what size their flooring should be.
Otherwise, the treatment of the edges of the product must be done at home. Usually it is enough to order a visit of a craftsman with equipment to overlock the edge of the carpet. Such craftsmen use a portable mobile overlock. Depending on the customer’s desire, processing can be carried out with synthetic tape or polypropylene thread.
Processing by other means
When choosing how to process the edges, you need to consider whether they will be visible after laying the carpet or hidden. In the second case, the edges can simply be burnt. This will keep the threads from coming out freely. Be careful and be aware that this material is highly flammable. You can also sweep the carpet with decorative accessories and a special overlock.
Read How to Get Candle Wax Out of Clothes
Today, skirting is actively used as a means of decorating the ends of the carpet. It is a universal tool, because with its help the carpeting is not only fixed, but also decorated.
If the edges of the carpet should add aesthetic appearance, it is worth using the services of a master who will make a professional overlock for carpeting.
The edge of the carpet is its vulnerable place. Therefore, it is important to know how to treat the carpet to keep it and prevent it from quickly splitting.