Homemade line for grass trimmer. How to make a bottle cutter for cutting ribbon from plastic bottles line for a trimmer from plastic bottles
The effectiveness of the trimmer for grass in the yard and garden plot largely depends on the quality and durability of the cutting line installed on it. There are different types of cords on the market. Having studied their features, it will be easier for the gardener to choose exactly the cord that is suitable for specific operating conditions.
According to the type of factory section cutting cords are divided into these types:
- round. this type of trimmer line is most often used by professionals on high-powered gasoline mowers. These cords are considered to be universal, as they cope equally effectively with both freshly grown grass and small woody weeds. Another advantage is the dense, even laying of the line with a round section. During operation, it feeds quickly from the mowing head without jamming or jumping out in too much;
- Square. used mainly for cutting old mature grass with few hard weeds. The manufacture of this fishing line produces edges that effectively handle the removal of thin young shoots of wild shrubs and trees. Thanks to this, the square trimmer line can be actively used to care for remote areas where it is not possible to regularly mow undergrown grass;
- Twisted. the second name for these cutting cords is silent. Their main advantage. low sound pressure on the operator. They are effective at cutting woody weeds and overripe grass.
To remove particularly large weeds and cut thick young shoots of wild trees, gardeners use reinforced cord. It stands out for its high strength and resistance to tearing. The main disadvantage of this type of line. a significant level of noise, as well as the required high power of the brushcutter engine. In this connection, a low-powered electric trimmer with a line and a blade cannot be equipped with a thick reinforced cord.
Features of trimmer application
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a grass trimmer exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the grass trimmer fishing line tucked into the grass trimmer spool is not endless. Sooner or later you’ll need to replace it with a new one.
Consumption of fishing line directly depends on how often you use the device and the amount of work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is consumed. And, accordingly, the sooner it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. And the line winding on the reel plays an important role in the grass trimmer’s performance
In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind a new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article
Preparation. remove and disassemble the bobbin
Most models of electric and gasoline trimmers require that you remove the spool to change the line. FUBAG tools allow you to skip this step. To make the instructions universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Secure the shaft. Insert a locking element into the corresponding hole. This can be a thin screwdriver or a metal bar.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In this example it is clockwise.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction indicated on the body.
The preparatory stage is complete. You can proceed to winding the line.
How to correctly wind the line for trimmer: peculiarities of replacement depending on the type of detachable grass trimmer spool
To understand how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the removable trimmer head, the following recommendations and video instructions will help.
How to correctly wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer spool with one tendril
Most often up to five meters long thread is used. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Bend the cord with a loop and insert it into the groove of the head.
- Wind the line in the opposite direction to the marks on the body. They indicate the direction of travel of the head.
- The end of the thread, up to fifteen centimeters long, leave it free to increase the centrifugal force.
- Put the free end through the outlet hole of the spool.
- Assemble the grass trimmer head.
How to wind a trimmer line on a detachable grass trimmer spool with two tendrils
You can watch a video before working, and consider the following recommendations.
- If there’s only one track, both strands are wound in parallel.
- If there are two tracks, each section is wound in a separate groove.
- Wind the threads in the opposite direction of rotation of the head.
- Length of loose ends should not exceed fifteen centimeters.
- Thread the ends through the exit holes.
- Assemble the head and check the operation of the grass trimmer.
Tip! If loose tendrils are not the same length, there is no need to worry. Excessive ends will be sheared off during operation.
Auto-feed grass trimmer: How to wind the line for the trimmer into the removable spool
Some models of trimmers have a spool, the threading of the line in which is automatic. The owner suffices to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, all manipulations on the winding mechanism will perform independently.
This should be known! The strengths of the automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of winding. The disadvantages of such equipment are frequent breakdowns of the complex mechanism and high cost.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the brushcutter spool: method one
Before winding, the trimmer head should be opened.
First, the amount of fishing line to be wound on the bobbin is determined. The spool must not protrude over the rims, otherwise the spool will not fit into the casing.
After determining the length of the fishing line, you can proceed to its tucking into the bobbin:
- A line for a trimmer is folded in half, one edge should be 10-15 centimeters longer. The bobbin is divided into two parts by a central rib. It has a slot on it under the court, which should be bent in half. You will need force to wind it up;
- The direction of winding is important. There should be an arrow or label on the bobbin indicating the winding side. If there is no pointer, there should be an arrow on the head of the mower. The cord is wound to the opposite side;
- The trimmer line should be wound as carefully as possible, the thread should be as taut as possible;
- After wrapping is complete, fasten the short end of the thread by inserting it into the matching diameter groove on the side of the spool. The long edge is secured on the opposite side;
- At the fixed line you need to cut the edges with a gap of about 10 centimeters;
- The threaded bobbin is placed in the mowing head. The edges of the thread are pulled up from the fixing grooves;
- The cover is put on and secured with latches. It must be fully engaged.
How to put a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing reel with cutting filament for grass trimmer is not a difficult task, but beginners gardeners will have to practice a little to be able to quickly insert the cord into the available household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and is well suited for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in this sequence:
- At first you need to unwind about 6 m of line from the total spool for grass trimmer, and then cut the resulting segment in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then at one end of the first section it will be necessary to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the bobbin;
- Then start winding the line on the bobbin in the direction of the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to wind up to the end of the segment, you should have about 15 cm of thread left in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, do the same procedure with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound onto the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, it is not necessary to wind the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end. The remaining piece of fishing line must be inserted into the second notch of the bobbin.
After completing the operation, the spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and start it. To check if the line is securely fastened you need to push the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum rpm. If the line for the trimmer does not fly out of the head, it means that the line for the trimmer is held firmly, and during the grass mowing it will not fly out of the mowing spool.
What type of line is for what?
What kind of line for a trimmer by section can be?
The round one is suitable for cutting young grass with a battery-operated or electric trimmer. It is smooth in texture. the cut is smooth. Considered universal. But it generates a high level of noise during operation and is not suitable for thick-stemmed and dry grass.
Square is ideal for tall and dry grass. Together with a medium or high power trimmer it is possible to take care of a garden of 10 acres or a city garden. Allows for efficient mowing due to sharp corners. Cuts stems cleanly, without breaking.
Triangular: Good for fresh turf and dense grass. Similar to round line, but its special shape allows not only mowing lawns, but also weeds. Cutting with this line will be more efficient.
Pentagonal (star-shaped) perfectly copes with dry grass, bushes, young raspberry shoots. Has sharp angled edges. Costs more than previous lines.
Hexahedral/semiagonal is good for removing weeds and can handle large areas. Used by public utilities.
Four-petal (clover-shaped) will come in handy for the care of lawn and homestead territory. Notable for long service life and low noise level. Thanks to rounded edges the plant stems are not crushed, which means that the cut grass will look neat and even. Lawns mowed with a four-blade cord trimmer grow better. Not so popular among home gardeners and landscaping professionals, and in vain.
Ellipse (oval shape) will help clear brushwood, defeat thistles and burdocks. Cord operates almost noiselessly and with low vibration level. It is installed on professional brushcutters.
What shape trimmer line can be?
Straight (standard) is universal, unwinds well from the spool, does not consume for a long time.
Twisted is suitable for dry grass, hardwearing, low noise when cutting. But unlike a straight line, it wears faster and is hard to unwind from the spool.
What can be made of?
line for trimmer made of nylon. polypropylene or polyamide. strong, lightweight, wear-resistant. Sometimes polyethylene is added to the product, due to which the cost of cord is reduced. If you need a strong, sharp line for your trimmer and you are not ready to change it often, you should not skimp.
Reinforced trimmer line has a metal core inside. aluminum, steel or graphite. It makes the filament dense and wear-resistant, thus increasing the quality of mowing. Suitable for brush removal with powerful trimmers and brushcutters. Used mainly by employees of public utilities for landscaping streets, parks, squares, yards, roadside area.
An overview of the best brands
It’s no secret that today’s market offer allows you to buy both really branded accessories, as well as products from less well-known manufacturers.
Among branded trimmer threads, Makita, BlackDecker, Husqvarna, Bosch trimmer threads are the most reputable and popular among professionals. These are well-known brands, not one year setting a high bar of quality and innovation.
Medium price range is Solo, Stiga, Maruyama.
Forte, Intertool, Master Tool, Sturm, Verto, Sadko, Werk, Brigadier are the most common on the market, and quite affordable to the average consumer (both for amateur and professional use).