Silicone baking mat: how to choose, how to use, how to clean?
A silicone mat is a relatively new device in cooking, which nevertheless has quickly become popular. Many housewives now wonder how they used to do without it, and how much easier it became to cook. Before, you had to wipe baking trays with oil, and then parchment paper was widely used. And still the desserts rarely turned out perfect and could burn in places. But the silicone baking mat has solved this problem once and for all.
Is it safe to cook on silicone baking pads?
The safety of a silicone baking mat: is silicone safe for baking? Food grade silicone. Non-toxic polymer, mostly composed of silica (sand). It’s generally considered safe and non-toxic, so you don’t have to worry about baking with silicone mats.
Yes, silicone baking mats are safe for baking. The temperature limit of a silicone baking mat. 428 degrees.
Advantages and disadvantages
The silicone mat has a host of advantages that are valuable to the pastry art:
- Bake-offs can be easily detached from the silicone, which preserves the integrity of the flour product.
- No need to grease a baking pan with butter or oil, no need to use parchment paper.
- Can be used for rolling out dough.
- withstands high temperatures: up to 260 degrees.
- Good thermal conductivity, ensures equal baking of the product on all sides.
- Silicone does not release dangerous gases when heated.
- Does not take much space during storage.
- The manufacturers promise a cycle of use of about 3 thousand times.
- The versatile type of material is suitable for working with all types of dough.
- Does not absorb odors.
- Sometimes manufacturers choose cheap raw materials for manufacturing, which can be hazardous to health.
- Easily torn if you catch the product with a sharp object.
- It spoils quickly if cared for or used incorrectly.
Despite the disadvantages, silicone mat remains a useful and necessary invention. If done well, it will not harm food in any way.
Silicone Baker mat with WILDBERRIES with a surprise. The gift for the spouse is cooler than a foreign car
Hello and hello. Me again with my review, friends and comrades. Without video yet, but with colorful photos. Let me tell you about a nice purchase from Wildberries. And specifically about the silicone mat with a plastic knife. A very nice product. As a gift to any girl or woman is good, cooler than a mink coat or iPhone last. It is inexpensive, less than 400, a special offer. The quality is excellent. Appearance is nice. Functional use. This is in brief about the merits. Now for more details.
The store is good. Popular. Quick delivery. Even more favorable than Alik. You can even talk about it without going into detail, because everything is at a high level. If you think: “Is it worth ordering here??”no doubt about it. The answer is unequivocal. Positive. I suggest.
The item is packed in a bag with a lock ZIP. Convenient, practical, useful for something. The package has two stickers. The barcode with the number. And a little explanatory description.
Pastry sheet BAKER, large, purple, with knife
- Material: silicone, polypropylene.
- Furnizor: “Ruges” LLC, 115516, Moscow, Russia. Moscow, Boulevard Kavkazsky, 35/2, Bldg. 2, office 5P.
- Phone: 7(926)629-11-34, 7(495)280-38-40, ext. 206.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use according to the instructions.
- Manufacturer: Ningbo Goer International Trade Co.
- Address: 78, Fangjiada, Zhiakiao Village, Goushin Town, Zhinzhou District, Ningbo, Zhejiang, China.
Instructions, by the way, is laid. Also interesting notes. I’ll just leave it here.
Bakery roll and baking mat “BAKER”, large, with a knife
The dough sheet “Baker” is a kitchen accessory for easy kneading, sheeting and baking of dough without addition of flour. The mat has a scale of diameters for the cakes and a scale for portioning out the dough. Included knife.
- Pad material: silicone.
- Mat size: 60 cm x 40 cm.
- Weight of the rug: 140 grams.
- Material: polypropylene.
- Size of knife: 24 cm x 5 cm x 1 cm.
- Weight of the blade: 25 gr.
- The mat needs to be clean and dry before use.
- Place the mat on a flat hard surface, make sure it doesn’t slip.
- Place the dough in the center, knead to the desired density, and begin to cut and divide. Dough won’t stick or tear thanks to the silicone surface of the mat.
- Use the knife included in the BAKER set to cut the pastry.
- The mat is suitable for chilling and freezing dough in the refrigerator at temperatures up to 40 degrees.
- The mat is suitable for baking dough in an oven at a temperature of up to 230 degrees.
- After use, rinse and dry the mat and put it away for storage.
- When using the Baking mat it is not necessary to grease its surface. food does not stick to the silicone surface.
- When used in the oven, the mat gets hot!
- Can be washed in the dishwasher.
The mat is quite handy. Pleasant bonuses. beautifully designed, unpacking of products. Knife is fine too, you can hang it up. Not designed for temperature extremes. Handy for texturing butter slices. I like to cook on semolina dough. Especially the pasta. Very convenient, practical. Doesn’t stick, doesn’t slip, unfolds nicely.
- Sprinkle semolina of any softness in a pile on a silicone BREAKER mat with WILDBERRIES.
- Salt, spices to taste. You don’t need to use butter, either.
- Pour room temperature water at half the weight in batches.
- Knead until homogeneous until all the moisture and pictures are absorbed. It’s not necessary to boil with water.
- Roll out thinly and cut into your favorite shapes. Cook in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes after soaking. In “big” water, like any paste. With regular stirring. Any kind of sauce, too, your favorite. Enjoy your meal!
By the way, the mat and knife were still packed in separate bags. Uncomfortable, velcro, tears, not useful. Waste of resources. The mat has been wrapped in wrapping paper.
That seems to be all. So, what do you think of the review? Interesting? What’s missing?. Let me know in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев! I will answer all.
Using a silicone baking mat
If you’ve never used anything like this before in your cooking practice, you’re no doubt wondering how to bake on a silicone baking mat. So, this non-stick material should be placed directly on the tray (baking tray). Then the pieces for future baked goods are placed on it.
You should not fear that the mat will melt and mix with the products. Silicone, which is part of the mat is completely safe for health. It can be used in temperatures ranging from.20°C to 28°C.40 to 260ºC.
A huge advantage of using such a pad is that nothing ever sticks or adheres to it, and baked goods are easily removed, even if they are a bit burnt. You don’t need to add any oil to the surface. the anti-adhesion properties of the silicone ensure that your baked goods will stick perfectly without it.
over. thanks to the good thermal conductivity, the silicone mat contributes to a more uniform baking of culinary products and reduces the risk of burning the bottom of them.
When using for the first time, hostesses often have a question about which side to put the silicone mat on the tray. As this mat is reversible, it does not matter. you can put it either side. You can also easily adjust the size of the mat simply by cutting off pieces of the mat to the desired size.
What food grade silicone is good for
Any product that is intended to come into contact with food has special requirements. Enameled, ceramic, metal or plastic cookware is subject to special safety controls before being released into free circulation, this is fixed by law. Therefore, if the manufacturer is conscientious, then there should not be any problems with safety, this also applies to objects made of food-grade silicone. Silicone is good for baking because it has a number of advantages compared to conventional cookware:
- has a low thermal conductivity, which provides even temperature distribution and prevents burning;
- The pliable material makes it easy to remove culinary masterpieces from silicone molds and trays;
- durable: difficult to tear, unbreakable;
- The material is lightweight, easy to clean, does not take up much space in the kitchen.
What is good about food-grade silicone?
There are special requirements for any product that is intended to come into contact with food. Enameled, ceramic, metal or plastic cookware undergoes special safety controls before being released into free circulation, this is enshrined in law. Therefore, if the manufacturer is bona fide, there should be no safety problems, this also applies to food-grade silicone items. Silicone is good for baking because it has a number of advantages over conventional utensils:
- has a low thermal conductivity, which provides even temperature distribution and prevents burning;
- pliable material helps you easily remove culinary masterpieces from molds, silicone trays;
- Durable: hard to tear, unbreakable;
- The material is lightweight, easy to clean and takes up little space in the kitchen.
A Comparison of Silicone and Teflon Baking Mats
I used to use parchment. But parchment is not parchment. And once an unfortunate roll of parchment prompted me to think about buying a baking mat! I didn’t know which one to choose, so I bought two! Both silicone and teflon. At first, silicone was more trustworthy because of its appearance! We’re all used to seeing silicone molds and know their advantages, but Teflon looked completely unaccustomed. I even began to doubt whether it was suitable for baking. Teflon mat looks like a piece of black paper. I look at it and think: “What did I pay money for??”. But experiments are experiments! The silicone mat was originally a tic-tac-toe size for my baking tray, but the teflon mat had to be cut. It cuts as easily as paper. Now the pros and cons of a Teflon mat: 1. The Teflon mat is easy to cut if necessary. 2. Before using it for the first time, the Teflon mat just needs to be washed with a sponge and detergent in a non-abrasive way and wiped dry. 3. After use, the Teflon mat is very easy to wash, sometimes just wipe it with a cloth. 4. The size of the Teflon mat does not change as it heats up and cools down. 5. The Teflon mat lies absolutely flat during baking. 6. It really is very easy to get the baked goods off. 7. Teflon mat does not change its appearance during repeated use. 8. The only downside I have found with the Teflon mat. is that it can get wrinkled. and then not immediately smoothed out, and may even leave a crevice for ever! But this is not a critical factor. Just keep it rolled up on a roll of parchment or foil, or keep it on a baking tray all the time! 9. the teflon mat is suitable for cooking absolutely everything! Even fish, even meat, even biscuit rolls! 10. Teflon doesn’t absorb odors! 11. on teflon mat you can freeze dumplings, dumplings, puff pastry in the freezer. 12. The Teflon mat is very easy to roll out on. Now for the pros and cons of a silicone baking mat: 1. The silicone mat should be baked for almost two hours in an oven at 200 degrees Celsius before first use. It’s horrible! The stinky soot comes out of the oven! It’s scary to think that all that could have been absorbed into the food! 2. The silicone pad expands in size when heated! That’s why I had to cut it off. It’s kind of hard to cut. But nothing bad happened to it after cutting it! Although some people write that it cannot be cut! Bullshit! It can be cut! My personal experience is a case in point! 3. Another disadvantage is that it can puff up in several places during baking, which is very bad for rolls for example or gingerbread house parts, which have to be straight! 4. another disadvantage of the silicone baking mat is that its appearance suffers during use. Dark stains remain even if nothing has burned on it! It doesn’t affect the quality of the baked goods in any way!
It’s a little harder to clean than Teflon, because if you apply light pressure, it stretches and the part that needs to be cleaned “runs away”. 6. a plus of the silicone pastry mat is that it can be stored compactly in a box! It does not crumple. and it instantly regains its shape. I store my mats this way.
It is better to cook something small on silicon (cookies, cakes, gingerbread, meringue). In a word, it is not afraid of deformation. 8. Silicone does have the ability to absorb odors. so if you bake fish on it, just washing it is not enough! You should also wipe them with vinegar and leave them to air out. 9. on a silicone mat as well as on a Teflon mat you can freeze. 10. you can roll on a silicone mat, but it is not as comfortable as a teflon mat because silicone stretches when pressed. Well, that’s about all I can say about using these two mats). If I have to choose again, I would definitely buy Teflon! I hope my review helps you in your decision!
|BB code to paste: BB code is used on forums|
|HTML code to paste: HTML code is used in blogs, e.g|
How would it look like??
If you’re wondering “which baking mat to choose silicone or Teflon?”, perhaps my post will help to make up your mind!