Installing the acrylic bath with your own hands: an overview of 4 ways to install
To begin with, it should be explained that shortening the bathtub is a specific, but not the only method of solving the difficulty. It’s worth racking your brains over the following points.
Making a groove in the wall for the bathtub. A good way out, the bathtub will get an auxiliary support on the side, and the construction becomes significantly stiffer. But such a method is very dirty, and it is only possible if the tiles have not yet been laid, because to cut the laid ceramic. a big risk. Just as an obstacle can be a carrier wall, to do the horizontal stroe in it is strictly prohibited.
If the above methods do not work for you, there is nothing left but to cut the tub. How to do it correctly and with the least losses discern below.
What to do after the work on the sawing carried out and how to protect yourself from potential negative consequences?
- Because of the lower rigidity of the edge of the cut at the side, there may be some violation of the geometry of the bathtub, what experts call “hanging”. Experienced craftsmen recommend in this case, do not install the bathtub on solid legs, and on a strong frame.
- Return the desired hardness of the edge is possible by using the above set to repair the bumpers of fiberglass and epoxy composition. It is necessary to glue it is no longer a cut, and the inner surface of the bend of the edge of the tub, 1-2 centimeters. This will help make an auxiliary support for the edge.
- You can attach to the wall, on the side of the undercut, a dural profile or a wooden bar. They’ll be supported by the edge of the bathtub. This will ensure that the rigidity of the entire structure.
It is worth keeping in mind that after shortening the tub, you will lose your warranty. But with this, unfortunately, nothing can be done.
Ways out of the situation
To begin with, it should be explained that shortening the bathtub is a radical, but not the only way to solve the problem. It is worth thinking about the following points.
If you kept the documents for the product, it can always be exchanged at the store for a suitable one. True, this may be associated with some inconvenience: paying for movers and transportation to the place of purchase, although, it will be the right decision. Unfortunately, not always the right product is available, so you should consider the following method.
Make a hole in the wall for the bathtub. A great way out, the bathtub has extra support on the side and the construction is much stiffer. But this method is very dirty, and only possible if the tiles have not yet been laid, because cutting laid ceramics is a big risk. The same obstacle can be a load-bearing wall. It is strictly forbidden to make horizontal drawings in it.
If the above methods do not suit you, nothing remains but to cut the bathtub. How to do it correctly and with fewer losses will be considered below.
How to shorten the spark plug properly?
If you do decide to remove a few centimeters from your bathtub, it is worth reading the annotation below:
- Carefully make all measurements and decide exactly how much you will need to cut.The proverb “Measure twice, cut once” is specifically about this.
- Cover the area to be cut with masking tape. It will not allow cracks and chips to show and it is more convenient to mark.
- Carefully and unhurriedly mark the future cut. Draw a line for the trimmer cut with a marker or marker.
As you can see, there is nothing terrible and impractical to cut the edge of the acrylic bathtub without the help of others. Observe simple rules, do not hurry and make measurements meticulously. then the bath will serve you for a long and long time.
Ways out of the situation
To begin with, you need to explain that shortening the bathtub is a specific, but not the only method of solving the difficulty. It is worth to think about the following points.
READ Cut tiles without a tile cutter at home
Make a groove in the wall for the bathtub. A good way out of the situation, the bathtub on the side will acquire an auxiliary support, and the construction becomes significantly stiffer. But this method is very dirty, and it is only possible if the tiles have not yet laid, because cutting laid ceramics. a big risk. Just as an obstacle can be a load-bearing wall, making horizontal holes in it is strictly prohibited.
If the above methods are not suitable for you, there is nothing left but to cut the bathtub. How to do it correctly and with the least losses we will consider below.
What to do after the sawing work is done and how to protect yourself from possible negative consequences?
- Because of the reduced rigidity of the edge at the side of the cut, some disturbance of the geometry of the bathtub is possible during operation, what experts call “bent”. In this case it is recommended to install the bathtub not on the regular feet, but on a sturdy frame.
- To return the necessary rigidity to the edge is possible by using the above mentioned set for the repair of bumpers of fiberglass and epoxy composition. It is necessary to glue it is no longer a cut, but the inner surface of the bend of the edge of the bath, 1-2 centimeters. This will help create additional edge support.
- You can attach to the wall, on the undercut side, aluminum profile or a wooden bar. They will be based on the edge of the bath. This will provide increased rigidity of the entire structure.
Remember that after shortening the tub, you will lose your warranty. But with this, unfortunately, nothing can be done.
How to Mount a Inline Mixer
To install an inline faucet, you must perform a number of operations.
- Mark the position of the mixer.
- Drill a hole of appropriate size.
- Install the mixer.
- Secure its position with fasteners.
- If necessary, install other elements of the modular system.
- Connect the hot and cold water hoses.
In words, the information on how to install the faucet on the side of the acrylic bath looks very simple, but in practice it may not be so. There are a number of nuances and important points to which you should pay attention even before the installation, and maybe even before you buy a mixer tap.
In this picture you can see how to install the faucet on the rim of an acrylic bathtub. It is recommended to use a special plank to reinforce the structure after drilling
First, you need to prepare
In preparation for the installation of the mortise mixer should follow three steps:
Of course, the models of faucets of this type are very diverse. And yet there are a number of general requirements that must be taken into account. Don’t buy a suspiciously cheap faucet.
You will have to replace a low-quality model very soon. It is better to pay a little more, so that you won’t remember the proverb about the miser who had to pay twice. You should give preference to a mixer produced by a well-known manufacturer.
Inline faucets, which are installed on the bathtub rim, are delivered in the form of separate elements. Recommendations for assembly can be found in the product data sheet or in a special manual provided by the manufacturer
Not superfluous would be passport of the product, the manufacturer’s recommendations for installation and, of course, warranty, signed and stamped. If there is a need or a desire to save money, it is better to choose a faucet with a simple design and high-quality execution.
We also recommend studying the information on how to choose a faucet for the bathroom.
The same principle should be followed when choosing consumables: let the more expensive, but more reliable.
Depending on the model of the mortise mixer you may need to buy additional materials before installing it: flexible hoses, eccentrics, gaskets, fixing elements, etc.п.
The following materials and tools will be needed:
- Electric drill, professional or household;
- A special nozzle for the drill, it is called a core drill;
- flexible hoses for cold and hot water;
- adjustable wrench.
Fasteners are usually sold together with the faucet, but this is not always the case. Diameter crown cutter must match the size of the device. you can do without a drill and without a mill, if you buy a bathtub, in which the hole for the mixer is already made in the factory.
PVC water pipes can be used instead of flexible hoses. It is more difficult to install them, but such constructions serve longer than the flexible inlet.
Usually the faucet is installed in the middle of the board, at the end or in a corner. When choosing a place, it should be remembered that some of the communications, including the shower hose, must be hidden. A space must be provided for this. Sometimes it is necessary to arrange a special trim panel to hide these communications behind it. It all depends on the specific situation.
Picture gallery of pictures Mortise mixer mounting at the side Shower mixer at the rim and spout separately from the mixer tap Classic installation method
Another important point is to provide access to communications. Periodically, the hidden communications of the mortise mixer must be serviced, repaired, replaced. Therefore, it is important not only to find a spacious enough place, but also to make it so that the communications can be reached without much difficulty.
For example, if a trim panel is used, it must be made removable. Access can also be provided by means of revision hatches or a removable decorative screen under the bathtub, which covers the entire bowl.
How to install the mixer
First you should make a marking on the edge of the bathtub. To do this, you can use a special marker or any writing instrument that will leave a fairly visible mark and then erase it easily. After that you can start drilling. A core drill is put on the electric drill and drilling is performed according to the marking.
To drill holes in the acrylic bath for an electric drill use a special nozzle, which is called a core drill. The recommended number of turns is 500-600
When the hole is ready, its edge should be processed by scraping with sandpaper, file or a similar device. This will not only make the edge of the hole smooth, but also allow you to adjust the diameter of the hole.
The faucet is put into the opening with the help of a special gasket, which is placed between the rim of the bathtub and the device. The gasket acts as a cushioning and sealing element. If this element is not delivered with the faucet, it must be purchased separately.
After that, fasten the mixer with special fasteners. It can be a clamping nut or a special stud combined with a pressure washer and nut. Everything depends on the device of a particular model.
Then you install the components of the mixer: spout, shower head, controls, etc.п. Details for specific models are described in the manufacturer’s manual. The faucet is now installed and you only need to connect the hot and cold water to it.
Most often, special flexible hoses with screw connections are used for this purpose. When installing a special sealant should be wound onto the thread, such as linen thread or FUM-tape. Do not use too much sealant, it can damage the threads.
But too little sealant will not provide sufficient sealing of the connection. If the thread relief can hardly be felt through the layer of sealant, stop rolling.
When assembling threaded connections, suitable sealant should be used: hemp, linen thread, FUM tape, etc.п. Wrap the sealant around the standard threads counterclockwise
How to seal a bathtub with assembly foam. Step by step instruction
1) The first step is to turn the tub upside down. Before you start, you need to think about the structure on which you are going to lay the bathtub. If you put it on the bare floor, it is likely to scratch the surface of the product.
2) The bottom surface to which the foam will be applied, should be thoroughly wiped, cleaned of dust and dirt. Next, wipe the bath with a special degreaser, which can be purchased in a construction store. This product can also replace medical alcohol.
3) Then proceed to the preparation of the can of assembly foam itself. Before squeezing it out, it must be heated slightly. To do this, put the can under hot water for a few minutes.
4) Use a spray gun. With it you will need to spray the surface of the tub. After completing this procedure the interaction of the foam with the bathtub will greatly increase.
5) Cover the tub with the foam. Each layer must be thick enough. All layers should adhere tightly to each other.
7) Let the foam dry. It takes about 12 hours. Subsequently cut off the excess with a knife.