What are some ways to unscrew a tightened nut on an angle grinder?
It is difficult to encounter this problem when rotating at idle speed. Especially with light circles and soft starters. However, after increasing the speed and coming into contact with the surface to be cut, the following occurs:
- When material resistance occurs, the wheel’s angular velocity decreases sharply, it slows down.
- The motor keeps rotating for a few moments at the same speed and carries the gearbox and spindle along with it.
- The retaining nut is tightened more by inertia on the threads of the spindle head, thereby pressing the cutting disc in.
The tightening process of the locking flange is complete. an emergency situation is evident. The following factors are responsible for its occurrence:
- Large wheel size.
- High tool capacity.
- Massiveness of the rotor.
- sharp increase in cutting depth, t.е. increased resistance.
In this case it can be very difficult to remove the disk from the angle grinder. Extra precautions must be taken.
Open-end wrench and socket head
A wrench n:17 and a socket head n:24 can be used to remove the angle grinder’s retainer when it is too tight. However, they will need to be refined before such a non-standard use. The wrench needs to be ground to a thickness of 4 mm, and the head needs to be ground for the holes on the angle grinder’s retainer.
Dismounting proceeds as follows. The wrench is inserted under the abrasive, and the socket head is put on the flange. Next, the two tools need to be turned in the opposite direction of each other. The nut should then be able to be unscrewed without any effort.
These tools often replace special tools, or are used as an adjunct. They are many times easier to loosen the clamping of the abrasive disk than the standard version.
What causes the problem
And when the process of tightening the flange for fixation is complete, we have an out of the box situation. Its appearance will be influenced by such factors:
- The huge size of the blade.
- Very high power of the power tool.
- The size of the rotor.
- A sudden increase in the depth of cut, t.е. The resistance increases.
In such a case, you should remove the disk from the angle grinder, but it can be very difficult to do. This is where additional measures need to be taken.
How to unscrew the nut on the angle grinder if jammed
I tried locking with a button, taking a standard wrench and pressing, pounding with a hammer. to no avail.
I took it home, blocked the button, tried to use a gas wrench, it doesn’t work, and that’s it, I just scratched the nut. At the same time I remembered how often I heard about cases when the nut on the angle grinder unscrewed with great difficulty.
How easy to unscrew the nut on an angle grinder (angle grinder) if it is jammed
The first thing to do is to break what is left of the broken cutting wheel to its base.
It’s very simple, you just have to take the pliers. While doing this we use protective equipment. goggles and gloves, because metal splinters will fly.
The result should be as follows:
Then we find a piece of metal with thickness less than the disk of angle grinder.
Then you have to turn on an angle grinder and use this piece to grind the rest of the disk between the nuts.
After everything is worn out, the nut inside is unscrewed not even with a wrench, but with your hands.
This is how it is done, very simple and fast. And safe for the bearings of the angle grinder. Because if the nut is not unscrewed, many people immediately armed with a hammer and try to unscrew the nut, tapping on it.
What to do to prevent this from happening again
If you do not want to get into this position, you can put a washer. made of plastic, paper or cardboard. under the nut before clamping the new disc. In this case, the nut will unscrew without effort.
Today it is not often possible to find a cutting stone or disc in proper quality, so when they break, it often becomes a problem.
Naturally, the reason may be wrong handling. But now you already know how to unscrew the nut on an angle grinder.
If there are still questions or you don’t understand something, you can look it all up at
How to unscrew the nut of the disk of the angle grinder (angle grinder) if it jammed
So, if you can’t use a spanner, even if you put it in and hit it lightly with a hammer, you should use something more serious.
The first thing you can try, but again, without fanaticism, is to take a rod, insert it into the holes in the nut and using a hammer, move the nut in the direction of its unscrewing. The main thing here is not to break the button or tear the holes, like here
The second thing many people advise is to heat the nut. Warm up the nut. As a result, it is slightly, but physically obliged to expand. The resizing may or may not help.
You should not pull it to the end, until the anti-rotation button lock or the button itself breaks. In this case, it is not broken tools that you unscrew, but often it is the body of the angle grinder.
The third way is the most effective, and oddly enough one of the safest for the most angle grinder. Let’s break off the edges of the disk on the nut.
Then we use a thin metal plate or another disk (thinner), and maybe a second angle grinder with a disk. The broken disc should be either a plate or a disc. Try to turn the disk so as not to damage the nuts that hold the disk, they will be needed So sharpen the whole broken circle until it is ground down and the nut is unscrewed.
If you will use a second disc or metal plate, it is better to insert them to hold them in a vise. Since it is dangerous to hold such things by hand. This method is the most effective!
How to remove it?
discs, especially those designed for cutting, “burn out” quickly and have to be replaced.
It would be useful to remind once again about the need to disconnect the “angle grinder” from the mains. You will work with rapidly rotating parts and it is better to protect yourself.
If you need to replace a worn disk, you must perform a number of simple operations.
- The disk is fastened on the spindle with a threaded nut. The set of any angle grinder has a special wrench, the horns of which have pins that cling to the holes of the flange.
- The spindle is fixed by a special button, the cotter pin of which, when pressed, enters the hole in the gearbox, thus fixing it. Press the button with the right hand and at the same time with the left hand unscrew the fastening nut with the wrench. If the nut has moved, it can be unscrewed by hand. That’s it, now the disc can be removed.
- It could happen that for some reason there is no spanner at hand. What to do? The easiest way out. to stop work. But, this, as they say, is not our method. Unscrew the clamping nut of the “angle grinder” without a wrench is also possible. Often a pipe (gas) wrench is used for this. There is a device on such a spanner that loosens it. It is necessary to clamp the nut and, having fixed the gearbox of “angle grinder” with a button, to move it out of place. Then it can be unscrewed by hand.
- There are holes in the nut for its fixation with pins on the wrench horns, you can unscrew it by tapping with a hammer on a chisel or rod stuck in the hole.
- Sometimes it is possible to disengage the nut by simply tapping its edge with a hammer in the direction of torsion. However in this case the flange can be damaged, especially the holes for the wrench pins, and later use of a spanner on such a nut may be impossible.
- Quite a good result is obtained by using a nail to make a key. It is better to choose a large nail, from 100 mm. Use the hammer and pliers to give the nail a U-shape. Use a hacksaw or chisel to cut the nail point and nail head. You can try to undo the nut with this improvised wrench. It is possible to bend the blade to become a socket wrench, but this is very labour-intensive. It is also possible to insert in an arc formed by a bent nail any goal, for example, a hammer or other nail.
What causes the problem??
It is difficult to encounter such a problem when rotating at idle speed. Especially when working with light circles and tools with soft start function. However, after increasing the speed and coming into contact with the surface to be cut, the following happens:
- If the material resistance is encountered, the rotational speed of the wheel is severely reduced and the wheel brakes.
- The motor continues to run at the same speed for a few moments by inertia, dragging the gearbox and spindle behind it.
- The retaining nut is tightened by inertia on the thread of the spindle head, thus pressing the cutting disc in.
That’s it, the process of tightening the fixing flange is complete. the abnormal situation is visible. The following factors influence its occurrence:
- The large size of the wheel.
- High tool power.
- Massiveness of the rotor.
- A sharp increase in cutting depth, t.е. increased resistance.
In this case it can be very difficult to remove the disc from the angle grinder. Additional measures must be taken.
How to avoid jamming?
To avoid trouble during the change of the angle grinder head, it is recommended to prepare in advance for the work. A small spacer can be inserted between the disc and the nut. As the material will do cardboard, a piece of linoleum or plastic.
If the fastener is too tight all the time, a smaller diameter disk would be preferable. It is also important to keep the tool clean, oil the threads in time, WD-40.