Chain from a chainsaw on the trimmer for the grass with his hands
At the heart of almost any home-made chainsaw is its implementation as a universal drive that can be used for a large number of different devices. Their field of application is very wide: cutting stone and metal, pumping water, clearing snow, drilling wells and holes, riding, moving various objects, swimming and also flying.
Realize the potential capabilities of the chainsaw with the use of various devices and attachments. At least in the basis of any modification is the usual principle of selection of motor power: the output shaft is connected to the device needed by the master. The presence of a massive motor, small size and comparably light weight of the tool, autonomy and the ability to work virtually under extreme conditions make its ability to truly infinite. Of no small importance is also a convenient clutch design, which protects the nodes and complex accounting programs saw from breakage and overload. The tool, made of chainsaw, has its own tightness, so it is used in almost any position.
Our client remains self-made can be conditionally divided into 2.7 groups:
- more ordinary devices (angle grinder, ice drill, pump, winch, single axle tractor, boat motor, bike, moped);
- complex mechanisms and objects (saw, snowplow, snowmobile, aerial sled, electric station, helicopter, one-piece knife).
Different brands of chain saws are used to produce all available devices. When choosing them, you should consider the necessary power for the normal operation of the remodel. In most cases, for the production of different devices use such brands of chainsaws: Druzhba, STIHL, Ural.
Below are different versions of devices made from chainsaws. Who wants to use such ideas in their own economy. From a chainsaw with a small amount of additional materials perform:
Types of trimmer heads
Mowing head for grass is a cylindrical body, in which the spool (bobbin) is inserted with a line (cord) tucked into it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way the cord is threaded and fed and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. The cord is fed in after the user has reduced the engine speed. Though automatic line feed is convenient in case of big job volumes, such bobbin has one disadvantage. big thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. Using this type of head does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The way they work is that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. Simply bump the grass trimmer head lightly on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the trimmer line due to centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin and then trimmed to the desired length by the blade located on the protective cover.
- Manual. Extending the filament requires the machine to stop and the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that grass trimmer reels come in one-string (used only for grass trimming) and two-string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
How to remove the reel from a grass trimmer and retrieve the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you can tuck the trimmer fishing line into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. A spool or guide is a device that sits inside a mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!Tool can be replaced directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. Once you have mastered the technique, you can perform the replacement work on your trimmer or gasoline-powered brushcutter. Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
Turn the tool upside down, and if necessary, clean it of dirt. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
This process is not difficult, and as you can see, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how to do the replacement. Be aware of these points when disassembling:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it will be difficult and sometimes even impossible to do so if necessary
- If the screw has a square head boring, then to unscrew it, you should pick up a screwdriver or bits of the appropriate size, in order to avoid the adhesion of faces on the head
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To remove them, grasp the screw and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to find out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
What blades should be used on electric and lawn mowers?
Before you buy a hedge trimmer blade, find out what they are and when they are used. Today, manufacturers offer the consumer a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing grass can be classified:
The trimmer blades are made mainly of plastic or metal. The use of such expendable elements largely depends on two parameters:
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend putting steel blades on electric grass trimmers. Almost all battery- and cordless lawn trimmers are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be solid disc-shaped construction, with several blades, or in the form of a special mowing head that provides for installation of removable plastic blades.
Gasoline grass trimmers have straight and electric ones have curved blades
The design of an electric grass trimmer does not allow for a metal blade.
- The curved boom of the machine reduces the distance from its working part to the mower’s legs. In case the blades collide with a rock or other hard object, the grasshopper falls back against the legs.
- The high torque mentioned above is transmitted to the flexible shaft of the grass trimmer and its engine in the event of a collision between the metal blade and a hard object. Which causes their premature failure.
- Handle of an electric brushcutter most often does not have a limiting strip that acts as a stop. Which does not exclude injury to the feet.
Exactly these features allow to use only plastic knives on trimmers with electric motors. When hitting an obstacle, the blades collapse, thereby protecting the mower‘s legs from possible injury.
Plastic blades are good for cutting overgrown and dry grass. Nettles and burdock stems can be mowed.
Metal blades are used only on gasoline-powered trimmers because of the following features.
- The straight boom design increases the distance to the legs, which gives the mower complete safety.
- Handy U-and J-handles give you a firm grip. The D-handle of the brushcutter is equipped with a stop that rests against the leg of the trimmer, which prevents the head from coming to rest when the cutting disc meets a solid obstacle.
- Gasoline engine clutch delivers smooth speeds to the optimum level. And if the blade hits a hard surface, it can absorb some of the shock.
Gasoline grass trimmers with a metal blade attachment are therefore best suited for large areas. They can successfully cope not only with high rough grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also with bushes and young trees.
The shape of the blade on the disc trimmer for grass has no impact on the quality of work performed. And they don’t depend on speed, either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular forms are a marketing ploy by manufacturers.
If you are planning to cut hay, it is better to use a brushcutter with a larger number of blades. Pay attention to discs with eight teeth or discs with four large blades and four extra blades. Two- and three-blade blades will severely chop the grass.
Nuances of changing a line in a trimmer
Choosing a line for the trimmer, it is necessary to start from the type of motor. If the thread is too large cross-section, the resistance to rotation will increase, respectively, the motor will constantly overheat and will soon fail. Let’s consider all the features of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool, the video instruction will help to perform all the work correctly.
Recommendations on how to change the fishing line for the trimmer on an electric trimmer
Before you charge a trimmer line into an electric grass trimmer, you need to choose the right cross-section of the line:
- A cord with a diameter of 1.3mm or 1.6mm is good for a model with less than 500 W motor power;
- for power over 1 kW choose consumable material with a cross-section of 2 mm.
To understand in more detail how to wind the line for the trimmer on the reel of an electric grass trimmer, the following will help
Some tips on how to change fishing line on your petrol trimmer
Many users specify how to correctly wind the line for the trimmer on the trimmer for grass, working on gasoline. For this model, you should pay attention to the shaft mower:
How to quickly in a trimmer to change the fishing line for the trimmer in the spool on the disk
Metal or high strength plastic blade can be installed depending on the complexity of the mowing operation.
Trimmer blade for grass with his hands
If you need to mow plants with thick or stiff stems, an ordinary trimmer line will not do the job. That’s why you can’t do without a special metal blade. Grass trimmer blades are available in specialized stores, or you can make them yourself, for example, from an old circular saw blade (no ribs). The knife is made as follows.
Conclusions on efficiency
To summarize, it is worth saying that manufacturers use a special line for trimmer for a reason. It is optimal for working with this tool: it mows the grass well and does not overload the mechanics of the device. If it has run out and there is still a lot of work to be done, it is better to buy a new one. For temporary use, of course, you can install a metal cable, but at the first opportunity it should be changed, for a special line for the trimmer. Otherwise, it will be detrimental to the technical condition of the tool.
Choose a line for the trimmer not only by thickness, but also by shape, you have to do this why: the cord does not cut the stem, but breaks it. A rotating string repeatedly strikes the surface of the stem and finally separates its top. For this kind of work, the shape of the cutting edge is an important technical feature.