Sabre saw for metal: blades and peculiarities of the tool
As a generalization, it is worth saying that metal cutting is a type of metalworking. Other types of metal machining include forging, bending, stamping, grinding, drilling, threading, etc.п., As well as chemical and thermal (thermal) methods. In other words, everything that makes it possible to obtain from some metal the product we need is metal processing.
The variety of methods of working with metal entails a variety of technical means. From the file and chisel to numerically controlled machines and industrial robots. You can familiarize yourself with the methods and machines on the corresponding sites, for example the site of Akron-Systems which is also interesting because it supplies not only equipment and components of different brands, but also offers production of unique metal products according to our drawings.
In private home construction and repair, metal cutting seems to be the most popular type of work with metal products, along with drilling.
So, what do you need and can be used if you need to cut metal pipe, an angle or rod, a sheet or a strip??
The tool and the method of cutting is chosen depending on the thickness and type of metal, as well as the amount of work. Another choice depends on whether you have to cut the metal without electricity, or all is well with electricity and, therefore, you can use a special tool.
Electric slicer and cutter looks like an ordinary angle grinder.Electric shears are constructed with the following elements:
- The body with the motor inside. Elongated shape, so it fits well in the palm of your hand. On models with heavy, powerful motors, additional handle is added to the housing for convenience. Regardless of tool type and price, the housing is always made of impact-resistant plastic.
- Multistage gear reducer. Is responsible for converting the rotational motion of the motor into a reciprocating motion of the cutting head. Made of metal.
- Work unit. Contains blades or a die and punch necessary for cutting metal.
- Metal shield. Protects operator’s hand from contact with sharp edge of object being cut.
- Electric cord for power supply to the tool.
Scheme of work with electric scissors is not different from the work with ordinary scissors. The operator smoothly leads the cutting head along the intended cutting line from the starting point to the end point. The main rule of operation: the speed of movement of the hand must match the speed of cutting the metal.
Accuracy and precision of the cut on any electric shears depends solely on the experience and skill of the operator.
How to cut a thick sheet metal evenly
For cutting thick sheet metal, it is advisable to use an angle grinder with a power of more than 1 kW. In this case, cut the product with an angle grinder in the forward direction from its edge. First you need to draw a line on the sheet for the trimmer, which will be used to cut. Then along the drawn line you need to put a steel angle or even wooden bar. With the help of clamps, the angle (bar), tight to the surface of the sheet.
Then along the angle, strictly along the drawn line it is necessary to pass the angle grinder and make a small groove, the depth of which is about 1-2 mm. After this procedure is complete, the angle can be removed and conventional metal cutting can begin.
Made on its surface, along the marked line, a groove will not allow the saw blade to move away from the predetermined trajectory, so you get perfectly smooth edges at the cutting points.
Important! When working with the angle grinder, it is necessary to observe safety rules and use personal protective equipment.
Also during work, you must consider the direction of rotation of the wheel of the angle grinder, as well as its size. Do not put large discs (150 mm and more) on a small angle grinder (125 mm), remove the protective cover beforehand.
Mechanical cutting methods
Based on the action on the metal with a cutting tool, which is stronger and harder than the processed material. does not involve heating of the sheet, so this treatment is called cold.
Cutting with guillotine shears
Type of impact machining, which involves cutting sheet metal with special knives or scissors for metal on the machine with a clamping. Used for producing blanks.
Cutting with circular shears
Used for longitudinal cutting of metal (“dissolution”) along pre-set lines, along the curve, as well as for chamfering, deburring and preparing for welding.
Circular shears are machines with a pair of cutting discs with an angle of 90 degrees of sharpening made of high-alloy steel. Metal sheets can be fed manually or with an automatic feeder.
Cutting with an angle grinder
Hand machining with electric hand tools. angle grinder (angle grinder) with cutting abrasive nozzle. Efficient cutting is performed by the near end of the abrasive disc.
- not suitable for processing sheet metal with polymer coating (abrasive nozzles spoil the coating and reduce its protective properties along the cutting line);
- Special safety requirements;
- Abundant splintering;
- Impossible to cut continuously for a long time (in order not to exhaust the working life of the nozzle too quickly, every 5-7 minutes the work must be interrupted for 20-30 minutes).
Is performed on a special band saw machine. Requires proper selection of the pitch of the teeth of the cutting blade, as well as the right choice of the sheet feed speed. Suitable for fast production of small parts.
Is carried out by a mixture of water and abrasive material (sand) which is pumped at high pressure through a narrow nozzle to the place of cut. Suitable for material up to 30 0 mm thick.
Types of metal shears
This equipment can cut widely used thicknesses. Metal shears of a suitable type can be matched with any type of metal. Different in several categories and types. According to the type of cutting devices there are scissors:
- Blades with straight blades (sheet metal);
- With curvilinear cutting blades in different planes;
- Cutting (punching);
By the way of force application to the working body, they are
- Mechanical (manual). Operated by the muscular effort of the worker’s hands.
- Electric. the force on the cutting units is transmitted from the electric motor.
- Hydraulic shears for metal. This design includes a hydraulic cylinder that increases the cutting force.
Mechanical metal shears
The cutting force is transmitted by the hands of the worker. Professional hand scissors for metal have forged details. This increases tool life. The cutting edge is smoother with no burrs. Sharpening is less common. Another difference is the additional hinge. You can cut thicker metal with less effort.
- Conventional. Similar to scissors for paper cutting, only larger in size and more massive.
- Lever scissors. Cutting is performed by means of a lever, on which the knives are mounted. Second arm rigidly mounted on the base.
- Roofing. Another name. chair scissors. The lower part is fixed (the sharp bent end is driven into the log). This provides rigidity and makes the work easier.
- Hand operated guillotine metal shears. Lever system from above feeds the cutting blade on the workpiece. The second cutter is stationary.
Electric shears for metal
The electric drive makes the work much easier. The answer to the question of which scissors for metal is better depends on the size of the work. In the case of high production volumes, electric models are preferred. A distinction is made according to the principle of cutting:
- Sheet. Cutting parts are two sharpened blades, one of which is movable.
- Disk. Here, the cutting is done with rotating discs. Can be used as an attachment for an electric drill or grinder.
- Slotted. Designed with a stationary U-shaped slot and a blade that goes inside the slot. Cut off chips when cutting with wire cutters.
cordless metal shears
This well-known tool variant is compact and powerful. For example, the sheet metal scissors can make straight and curved cuts up to four times faster than hand scissors with minimal effort. A 12-volt battery charge is enough to cut about 60 m of material. Metal shears with capacity gauge.
A universal tool, suitable for apartment and private home renovation. The tool can easily cut nails and self-tapping screws. Cut a piece of pipe or rebar in a hard-to-reach location no problem.
The undoubted advantage of the tool is its relative safety and the absence of sparks during work.
Most craftsmen buy it because of these properties. It is easier to work in a confined space.
When buying first of all pay attention to the battery capacity and power of the device. the duration of the saw depends on these factors. Experienced specialists advise to buy the tool with maximum power.
Appointment of the chair
In order to cut ceiling plinths, as a rule, use a special device. a plier. It has a number of guides for cutting various products at the desired angle. Jigsaw is usually sold in construction stores. It is also possible to make this simple construction by yourself. As a rule, factory variants are completed with a saw, although your tool is quite suitable. The crossbeam has a groove in the shape of the cut part and guides for the cutting tool at an angle of 45 and 90 degrees. What angle to cut the ceiling skirting depends on the connecting section.
The procedure for how to cut the corners of ceiling plinths is as follows:
- Apply the baguette to the area of the future fastening. This will allow you to accurately mark the place of the cut.
- Place the baseboard in the recess of the scratcher so that the back side fits snugly against the underside of the tool. The surface for glueing should be oriented upward.
- Cutting the ceiling plinth is carried out along a 45-degree guide. A knife or saw can be used to deburr the unevenness of the cuts.
This is the most convenient tool for cutting sheet metal. It combines the precision of a hand saw, the speed of an angle grinder or jigsaw, and the quality of a circular saw. Electric scissors can cut almost any kind of broken and smooth curves, holes, grooves, and other geometric shapes. Battery-powered modification allows you to install and fit corrugated board without running electricity directly on site. The disadvantage is the high cost of the machine.
Performing a variety of curved and irregular cuts on sheet metal is best done with electric cutters. Their principle of operation is similar to the above-mentioned manual shears. The difference lies in the way the cutting part of the punch moves. The translational motion is caused by the handwheel of an electric motor.
The work can be performed both on the weight, and on the fixed sheet. A hole is formed in advance to install the cutting unit. The tool is then positioned and switched on.
When choosing, it is necessary to pay attention to the following parameters:
The main advantages of using electric die-cutting shears are their high output and precision cut.