How to mow with a trimmer with a blade
Have you ever wondered? How to mow grass with a trimmer. No? And this is an interesting question. Let’s get to the bottom of this.
A grass trimmer is the most versatile tool you’ll ever have at your disposal. Powerful grass trimmers, popularly referred to as trimmers, can not only level the edges of your lawn. They can be equipped with metal blades to remove weeds, reeds, brush and even small trees.
As powerful grass trimmers cut larger, tougher plants than conventional electric grass trimmers or curved shaft grass trimmers. Their handling and safety precautions will be just as special.
So, how to correctly and safely mow with a trimmer:
Purpose of grass trimmer head (grass trimmer reel, grass trimmer mowing head, grass trimmer bobbin)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, poles, bushes, between stumps and other obstacles.
- To mow lawns that are out of reach of lawn trimmers.
- To selectively cut through thinned grass and weeds before mowing a garden for hay.
- To cut weeds in the bed between plants.
- To sow potato foliage in the garden before digging.
- To completely remove grass and weeds from e.g. paths.
- To sweep (creating an air vortex from the grass trimmer‘s high revolutions of the line).
The trimmer head (mowing head or grass trimmer reel) has a high capacity when mowing grass, t.к. it is lighter for the metal blade and has a larger grip diameter of 45 cm, compared to 25 cm for the hay knife.
How to mow grass correctly with a garden trimmer
Working with a brushcutter is easy enough if you know the basics and have a hand with it. Here are a few tips to help you get a good result and keep your lawn looking tidy:
- If you need to cut tall grass or weeds with strong stems, use double motions. First cut the top of the stems, moving the scythe from right to left, then mow everything else, moving in the opposite direction.
- If you need to process a large area, you need to divide the area into squares, starting the movement on the outer sides and gradually moving to the center.
- Work on slopes is carried out according to the following algorithm: start at the bottom, mowing grass in parallel lines and gradually climbing up. The grass will fall down into the cut, without interfering with your work.
- To mow plants around an obstacle, you need to consider the protection of the gasoline trimmer. Move around the obstacle, moving the tool carefully near it.
- Always use only good quality attachments on your petrol grass trimmer. If you work with a fishing line or poor quality blades the grass may not be cut, but torn out by the roots. the lawn will quickly deteriorate.
How to mow grass with a fishing line
It is safer to mow with a trimmer that has a trimmer cord or fishing line on it than to work with knives. However, the work efficiency will be lower. It is always better to select consumables for specific tasks and combine their use.
When working with a gasoline trimmer, which has a line for the trimmer, you need to adhere to the following tips:
- Mow at a height of about 10 cm above the ground;
- mow the top part of the grass first, and then cut the stem at the base. this will help to avoid winding on the working part;
- It’s best to drive the machine in the same direction as the coil rotates;
- When mowing lawns, it is best to work with the tips of the line to reduce the load on the engine;
- let the machine rest every 15 minutes.
How to mow grass with blades of grass
Blades are good for hard grass or bushes, but you must follow some safety rules. Here are the main points to remember when using blades:
- The blades are suitable for cutting hard grass, young trees or bushes.
- The more difficult the task, the larger the blade disc diameter should be.
- Install only discs on your grass trimmer that are the right size for the tool’s capabilities. Otherwise, the lawn trimmer could break.
- When the tool is on, it is only for mowing, not for replacing consumables, lubricating, or inspecting the gasoline trimmer.
- Choose blades based on the information on the blade and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not sharpen the blades yourself, it can ruin the part.
Rules for mowing
Lawn trimming is carried out to prolong the growth, development of grass and prevent it from blooming, grow the root system of the grass cover and increase the density of green mass. In order to achieve positive results, the mowing process must be carried out correctly. This will increase the life and decorativeness of the lawn. Periodic mowing also helps to fight weeds.
Did you know? The word “lawn” is French in origin. In England lawns are widely used because of a suitable climate. regular rainfall and not harsh winters.
There are a number of rules that should be followed when mowing:
- The best time for mowing is a warm evening on the day after watering. Mowing the lawn immediately after rain or watering is not recommended. This can lead to furrows in the ground. Mowing on a hot day also negatively affects the lawn. The additional stress may negatively affect the growth of the green mass.
- The cutting process should be carried out in a certain order. First mow two opposite sides in one pass. Then the grass is cut in stages, starting from the edge and working backwards. For an even cut, a small proportion of the mown swath should be swept up with each pass.
- For a uniform green carpet the direction of mowing should be changed by 90 ° with each following treatment.
- Never cut more than 30 % of the plant height at one time. If the grass is cut too much it can kill the plant.
- After mowing, the lawn is watered and fertilised. This helps to get the plants out of stress more quickly.
- Do not leave grass less than 3 cm high. Such actions can kill plants especially in dry periods.
- Remove the grass with a rake afterwards. Plant cuttings can be thrown into the compost heap.
- Mow from May to mid-October. This procedure is dangerous in late autumn. If the shoots do not grow out before frost, they can die.
- The cutter blades must be sharp. Otherwise the tips of the plants can turn brown and yellow.
- Regular cutting prevents the grass from becoming rigid. The frequency of cutting depends on the growth rate and should not be less than 4-7 days.
Safety precautions during work
There are some differences between the string trimmer and the disc technique. A trimmer line cuts the grass at its tip, but if you go too fast, the entire length is used. As a result, the stems are not cut, but the grass is wound up on the cord, which overloads the engine. That’s why it’s important to select the best mowing speed. Also, mowing tall, tough grass consumes trimmer lines faster than mowing lawns.
There are a few simple guidelines which, if followed, will make mowing more efficient and effective.
- Trimmer with a motor below is convenient to mow garden paths, flowerbeds and the edges of lawns. The plane of rotation of the coil of such a device can be placed perpendicular to the ground.
- Dense thickets, large weeds, bushes should be mowed with discs or special attachments.
- When clearing large areas, the machine needs to be tilted to the left, in the direction of swinging.
- To cut the grass around flower beds, bushes and other objects, you should turn the grass trimmer head with the hood towards them. You can cut down on objects without damaging them.
Remember that the bobbin or disc must not touch the ground or any obstacles except grass and twigs that need to be cut.
Safety precautions when working with brushcutters include.
- Do not use trimmers in rain or high humidity.
- Keep people and animals at least 15 meters away from the cutting head: grass clippings, small debris and stones may fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and cause injuries.
- It is best for the grass trimmer operator to wear loose-fitting clothing that completely covers arms and legs.
- Wear protective goggles, gloves, headwear, closed shoes, special headphones or earplugs.
- The lead to the grass trimmer should be behind the mower.
So, using a handheld grass mowing machine allows you to keep a small area in order. On large areas it is more convenient to use a mower. In addition, the grass trimmer is relevant when making hay and putting in order on the territory: small grass clippings can mulch strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see the process of mowing with this tool on the video.
Unlike a disc, mowing with a cord trimmer is safer, but not always optimal. As they say, it is worth choosing a cutting mechanism under the peculiarities of your site of work or use the complex systems, where you can operate both the disk and the line for the trimmer, if necessary, setting the first, then the second.
As we have already written, lawn mower with a fishing line can be automatic, semi-automatic and manual. In the first case, the cutting element is “thrown” itself after each new start of the machine. This is very convenient, but not economical enough, for example, if your area is irregularly shaped and contains corners, jagged edges, and with a long transition to each of these areas, the mechanism must be novo turn off and on.
It is important for the operator to understand that the length of the line tips that he sees in front of him when stretched out is exactly the diameter that the device will mow. You can read about how to thread a line in a reel in one of our articles, but the main thing to remember: the length of the line ends should be optimal for proper mowing.
What’s the right way to mow with a chainsaw?? This should be done so that it will last you as long as possible:
- keep the spool 10 cm above the ground;
- When working with tall grass. mow it at the top and then at the stem to protect yourself from grass winding up on the device;
- lead the machine in the same direction in which the spool rotates;
- Lawn grass, especially near walls and garden décor, is best mowed with the tips of the line so as not to overload the engine;
- Give the device a break every 15 minutes.
Any answers to questions about mowers you’ll find in this section of the site, but we’re also happy to offer spare parts for lawn mowers among our other range of gasoline tools.
Ideally, tall grass can be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick line. But you must admit that the land where weeds grow is not always smooth, landowners often have bushes and all kinds of debris, stones on their plots. To avoid wasting expensive equipment you’d better mow in two stages.
If you prepare grass for hay, and you are more or less familiar with the condition of the ground. then you can forecast your work easier. Any grass mowing technique can cope with tall grass. The main thing is not to hurry and to approach the process rationally as we demonstrate in the practical video.
- Do not overload the mechanism;
- If the grass gets tangled, stop the machine immediately;
- do not mow wet grass, not even with a gasoline trimmer.
You can always buy a grass trimmer spool, knives and disks at our store on KosiKosa.
Storage and care of the trimmer
Gasoline grass trimmers require special care. In addition to cleaning and lubricating the cutting and rubbing surfaces from plant sap and dirt, you must also take care of the engine. The air filter is the quickest to clog. Its cleaning interval is about 10 hours. In addition, sometimes the fins of the engine cooling radiator get dirty, causing it to overheat quickly, and this can lead to its jamming. How to clean the radiator and air filter is described in the manual for a particular gasoline trimmer.
Before leaving the grass trimmer for long-term storage at the end of the season, you should drain all the fuel from it, then start the engine and wait for it to stop. This ensures that there is no fuel in the tank or carburettor. After cooling the engine to unscrew the plug, pour into the cylinder 30-40 ml of two-stroke oil, with a starter rope slowly turn the crankshaft so it is distributed in all the cavities inside the engine, then screw in place the plug. After that it is necessary to disassemble the boom, if it is dismantled, to cover all metal parts that can corrode with preservative grease and then store the grass trimmer in a place protected from moisture.
After finishing work with electric trimmers it is necessary to wipe them down and coil up the cables and extensions. As for battery trimmers, it is not recommended to store them even for a short period of time with a discharged battery, because it can lead to a rapid breakdown. After that, you should remove the head, as you will have to clean both the protective cover and the insides of the drum itself. If this is not done, the grass juice can dry out on them and cause the reel with the mechanism that fixes the line for the trimmer to stop functioning properly the next time you start.
Preparing electric grass trimmers for long-term storage is much easier. The main thing. to protect them from moisture in the control circuit and the engine, as well as from rust on unprotected metal elements with preservative grease. Always be sure to charge the battery before storage, then your grass trimmer in the spring will be as new.
Why not mow with a trimmer wet grass
There are some indirect reasons why you should not mowing Grass on the lawn when it is wet from dew or rain. These include:
The most to put out of service brushcutter carrying out mowing wet vegetation? The answer is simple. It is removed because of the short circuit when water enters the power section. In addition, even if our client remains perfectly sealed, there is a high possibility that the engine will not withstand a heavy load on the flexible shaft trimmer for grass. And the shaft itself can spin. Such loads in most cases appear from the adhesion of wet grass on blades on the spindle, where they are attached.
We trimmers with gasoline engine, mowing grass in wet weather, because of the huge loads, increases the degree of wear and tear of the main units and assemblies. Here we note the early failure of the piston pair, and in addition other moving parts. In most cases the piston pair burns out because of motor overheating. In our case the motor will overheat from the stress caused by the wet grass when mowing.
If you mow damp grass with a gasoline trimmer, let the engine idle for 30 seconds without load to overheat. This method removes excessive heat and saves the piston pair.
What kind of lawn does not need mowing??
If you want a trouble-free lawn, you can sow sprouting (climbing) bentgrass on the plot. This is a low herbaceous plant, which does not grow taller than 15 cm. The bent grass will climb over the ground and form undersized clumps. The result is a light green “mat. It looks very neat and quite unusual, as the grass grows in several tiers, and you get a lawn that does not require mowing. The bentgrass grows quickly, so in a very short period it occupies the whole territory, allotted for the lawn. At the same time, lawn care is quite simple, because the plant is unpretentious to the composition of the soil and other conditions of cultivation. However, bentgrass will grow best on drained, fertilizer-rich soil.
Another lawn option that does not need regular mowing is the Moorish lawn. In order to create it, it is enough to buy a special mixture of seeds. When choosing it in the store, try to choose mixtures with such grasses that grow well in your area. A lot of different kinds of plants are used for moor lawns: daisies, marigold, poppies, flax, cornflowers, delphiniums and others.
How do you like the idea of creating a meadow in your backyard?? A meadow lawn though is afraid of trampling, but to cut it need not more than once a month, and even less. It is created from a mixture of seeds of low-growing grasses, cereals and legumes. Mixes can contain: Fescue, ryegrass, creeping clover, yarrow, mint verbeissima, daisies, perennial daisy, chickweed.
We’ve answered all the important questions about lawn mowing that most gardeners have. We hope that your lawn will always be well maintained and beautiful.